Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation.... - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 7006 Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

BREAKING NEWS!!!! Rumor

From IGN:

Original Story: Citing an unnamed source, UK-based video game industry magazine Develop is reporting that Microsoft has provided Electronic Arts with development hardware that will become the next Xbox as early as 2012.

According to the report, the hardware is housed in a PC shell, a common practice for early console development kits. Develop's source, described as a "senior, trusted, well-placed" person who works at neither EA nor Microsoft, told the magazine an E3 2011 reveal is likely.

We've reached out to Microsoft and EA for comment.

Update 1: An unnamed source tells Eurogamer an E3 2011 reveal for Microsoft's next Xbox is "highly unlikely," putting Develop's E3 rumor to rest for now.

Update 2: A trusted development source tells IGN, "To the best of my knowledge no one here knows what [the new Xbox] will be. Only that it will probably drop in 2013."

im sure its an early early alpha build. most definetly a souped up rig that MIGHT be able to run crysis 1. to be honest, at this early stage of development i would be more interested in what the controller looks like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 7006 Old 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

People have become OK with the $60 price point of games. We all hear how much developing for a new console is SO expensive, and a lot of games with big budgets flop, costing millions of dollars. I can just see MS creating a $10 price gap between DD and disc, and raising the price of discs to $70 would push a lot of people into DD. I know I would convert to DD for new releases.

Or perhaps publishers will release games at different price points? Say a $50 'barebones' and a 'full' version with extras( levels, weapons,etc). For example, Call of Duty *whatever* basic release with single player modes and basic online with a set number of maps for $50...Call of Duty *whatever* with single player, online modes and all maps, costumes, weapons, etc etc for $70. The 'extra' maps, weapons, etc etc also available as DLC, in case those who buy the $50 barebones may wish to 'upgrade' down the line....

May not make sense for any number of reasons, just throwing it out there with all the other views as food for thought....

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #1263 of 7006 Old 05-06-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The exciting thing is the next gen is apparently starting. Game development is the key to starting it all off. You can't launch without games. Now whether this is for 2013 or 2014 remains to be seen, but 2013 is starting to look like the latest it will launch. I agree that 2012 would shock the world, so it probably won't happen.

Hopefully we hear a few other leaks about developers getting Alpha kits soon so it isn't only EA with them (I would guess others do have the kits). With E3 less than a month away, we will soon be able to rule out 2012. I would think later this year some leak will give us an idea of the specs of the Nexbox.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #1264 of 7006 Old 05-06-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Or perhaps publishers will release games at different price points? Say a $50 'barebones' and a 'full' version with extras( levels, weapons,etc). For example, Call of Duty *whatever* basic release with single player modes and basic online with a set number of maps for $50...Call of Duty *whatever* with single player, online modes and all maps, costumes, weapons, etc etc for $70. The 'extra' maps, weapons, etc etc also available as DLC, in case those who buy the $50 barebones may wish to 'upgrade' down the line....

May not make sense for any number of reasons, just throwing it out there with all the other views as food for thought....

I am hoping Activision does not attempt to charge say, $40 for the MP game and then charge a monthly fee to play online. I can see someone trying this out, and hopefully it fails miserably. I know I will not be paying a monthly fee, no matter how cool the game is. I can see someone trying out your idea as well. Hopefully the market rejects it.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

post #1265 of 7006 Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can see someone trying out your idea as well. Hopefully the market rejects it.

Well to a degree this kind of thing exists already( game of the year editions)... I really don't want to see it become mainstream either, FWIW.....

post #1266 of 7006 Old 05-07-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I love the third update to the news I posted earlier. It was flat out denied by an EA exec saying it was a totally false. Really? Like you could say something besides that?

post #1267 of 7006 Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
If this was true, it would have put 2013 back in play.

But EA flat out denying it says, it was probably just a hoax. Otherwise it would be just "no comment".

It is still 2014 at earliest.

P.S. Anyone who claims to have any inside information and says there will be a NextBox announcement at 2011 E3, is not an insider and nothing coming out of that person is to be trusted...
post #1268 of 7006 Old 05-07-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

I love the third update to the news I posted earlier. It was flat out denied by an EA exec saying it was a totally false. Really? Like you could say something besides that?

If MS has a 2013/2014 timeline in mind, then it's very likely that some of the top publishers have development kits (assuming at least a two-year development cycle).

Regardless there's no way in hell MS will announce this at this year's E3. Not unless they want to kill off any of the momentum they got from Kinect. The device would be DOA if they announced a successor to the 360 already. Kinect hasn't even gotten off the ground yet in terms of software, and MS would essentially be cashing in their chips on the device if they were to announce a successor anytime in the next year.

At most, MS may drop a vague line in their keynote like: "Microsoft is always looking to the future, and we have exciting things to come."

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1269 of 7006 Old 05-07-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Pretty much this. What was the purpose of Kinect at this stage in the 360's lifestyle, if MS is going to kill any and all momentum for the product by introducing the 360 successor? I'm actually shocked Nintendo announced the Wii 2 already..... why would anyone buy the current Wii at this point, with knowledge in hand that the next model comes out in a year?

360 is profitable for MS right now, I imagine they'll try and milk it for everything its worth till they feel its time to release a successor. I still think 2013 is the most likely launch year for xbox 720.

post #1270 of 7006 Old 05-07-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm actually shocked Nintendo announced the Wii 2 already..... why would anyone buy the current Wii at this point, with knowledge in hand that the next model comes out in a year?

Nintendo decided to jump to the next console because Wii sales have been flat for the past year and a half. And how will Nintendo continue to sell Wii consoles after this announcement? A big price drop (to $150) is due to happen next week--just prior to their big console announcement in early June. Wii sales will do just fine; people buying a Wii for $150 are not the same people who will be buying the Wii HD for the predicted $350-400 price tag.

The 360, on the other hand, is still going strong--thanks mostly to Kinect sales. So it'd be beyond idiotic to announce a new console at this point.

post #1271 of 7006 Old 05-07-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Nintendo decided to jump to the next console because Wii sales have been flat for the past year and a half. And how will Nintendo continue to sell Wii consoles after this announcement? A big price drop (to $150) is due to happen next week--just prior to their big console announcement in early June. Wii sales will do just fine; people buying a Wii for $150 are not the same people who will be buying the Wii HD for the predicted $350-400 price tag.

The 360, on the other hand, is still going strong--thanks mostly to Kinect sales. So it'd be beyond idiotic to announce a new console at this point.

I suspect most people who wanted a Wii have one by now. It's pretty much at the price point now where Joe Public would buy it( $199) which is the same point when PS2 enjoyed most of its sales. I'd be curious to know what a drop to $149 does, seeing as the buzz over the Wii ended some time ago.

Agreed on 360, you'd kill any buzz for Kinect while 360 sales are still good. Speaking of price drops, I think the 360 would soar if they get the 250gb slim down to $199. Maybe next year.....

post #1272 of 7006 Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suspect most people who wanted a Wii have one by now.

"One," yes. But what about two? At $150, little Susie and little Johnny can each have their own.

post #1273 of 7006 Old 05-07-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"One," yes. But what about two? At $150, little Susie and little Johnny can each have their own.

Maybe the diehards will pick up an extra one..... the casuals who got bored after Wii-fit aren't likely to buy another, just to sit alongside the one they already own collecting dust.

post #1274 of 7006 Old 05-09-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 219
MS said they were waiting for a certain type of display technology to emerge before working on the NexGen XBox. Here is a nutty, off the wall thought we haven't kicked around. What if the NEXBox is integrated into a XBOX HDTV, with that type of technology imbedded. And they just create an Xtreme XBox SKU for the console junkie.

Let the bashing begin!
post #1275 of 7006 Old 05-09-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

MS said they were waiting for a certain type of display technology to emerge before working on the NexGen XBox. Here is a nutty, off the wall thought we haven't kicked around. What if the NEXBox is integrated into a XBOX HDTV, with that type of technology imbedded. And they just create an Xtreme XBox SKU for the console junkie.

Anything's possible, especially considering how long and strange this generation has been.

My two cents: this is the last generation of technology-forward gaming consoles. It's getting too expensive and too risky for publishers to bother with big, resource-intensive games. The big players in the media console market will soon just be Nintendo and Apple (there will be no more "gaming consoles" btw). MS is going to have to do more than the Kinect and more than just the typical suite of streaming services. Apple and Nintendo will have those things, too, only with 2-3x the market share at half the price.

post #1276 of 7006 Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 623
post #1277 of 7006 Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1167019p1.html

Well, it's not like MS is just going to roll over and let Apple and Nintendo take over the console market.

There's recent news that MS is in talks to buy Skype. If that happens, it could make its way onto the next Xbox. That could be a major step toward making the next console worth getting for more than just a niche audience.

post #1278 of 7006 Old 05-09-2011, 11:22 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Well, it's not like MS is just going to roll over and let Apple and Nintendo take over the console market.

There's recent news that MS is in talks to buy Skype. If that happens, it could make its way onto the next Xbox. That could be a major step toward making the next console worth getting for more than just a niche audience.

I think that they will buy skype and then get rid o video kinect because it's obviously not taking in a broad enough crowd of people to be able to talk to an they will jus put skype on the xbox 360 I don't think they need a while new system for skype and next year they are making I so that you can put more apps on the 360 so I don't think the 360 is goin anywhere
post #1279 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
There is a lot of things in that IGN that just doesn't ring true.

They mention how 360 development kits didn't go out till a year before the release, but they still think 360 will be released next year.

That makes no sense. 360 development was rushed because they wanted a replacement to the original Xbox fast. There is no such time pressure this time around. 360 is still selling well and Kinect was just introduced. They will provide 2 years heads up for development kits (at least for most favored developers).

Also, everyone and their brother know 343i is working the next big Halo game. Possibly re-booting the franchise from the beginning. It is very likely that they will have the game ready for the NextBox launch, but they can also produce something for 360 as the last hoorah for 2012 or 2013. A big production like this that has to start from scratch can easily take 4 to 5 years. Just because they are working on it right now does not mean that NextBox is right around the corner.

I still say 2014 is the earliest we will see. 2013 is possible but unlikely unless Nintendo blows everyone out of the water with their new console.
post #1280 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Quote:

Can you copy & paste the article. Its blocked by my employer.

Thanks!

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1281 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Ask and you shall receive!!

IGN Article

For the last several weeks we've been subjected to information overload as leaks regarding Project Cafe, Nintendo's successor to the Wii, came from all directions at once. Microsoft was dragged into the fray last week, as Develop Magazine reported on the existence of new, next generation Xbox hardware. According to Develop, a confidential source outside of Microsoft and EA informed them that the third party publisher had new Xbox hardware "on desks at an unnamed Electronic Arts studio." Develop claimed the hardware was set for an E3 2011 reveal and a likely 2012 launch.

This story was quickly followed by a report from Eurogamer courtesy of a separate confidential source, who insisted that an E3 2011 reveal was unlikely. Later Friday afternoon, contradicting earlier "No comment" responses, EA Director of Corporate Communications Jeff Brown stated to IGN and other outlets that the Develop story was "...a total fabrication - 100 percent not true."

The question now is, is there a new Xbox system circulating out there? Despite Brown's assertions to the contrary, there's cause to believe that Develop's story is accurate... mostly. Let's break down the reasons why we think Microsoft will be jumping in to the next generation sooner than most people thought.

Developers Are Asking for New Hardware

This year's GDC was notable for the first really enthusiastic rumblings we've heard from developers that the time is nigh for more powerful console hardware. Epic Games, creators of this console cycle's most common middleware engine in Unreal Engine 3, unveiled what they euphemestically referred to as Unreal 3.5 - a seriously upgraded version of their engine with support for features that bring the current crop of HD consoles to their knees. At around the same time, Battlefield developers DICE showed off the stunning Battlefield 3, powered by their next-generation Frostbite 2.0 Engine. While Battlefield 3 is coming to the Xbox 360 and PS3, DICE has stated that the game is being designed around powerful PC hardware capable of things the consoles just can't manage very well.

Epic's Samaritan Demo

There's a message here, especially given the publisher/developer migration to consoles for big-budget development over the last 8 years and the growing prevalence of social and casual games on the PC platform. The issues that make big-budget PC development such a risk aren't going away - piracy and tech fragmentation have gotten worse, not better.

There's also the fact that these developers made these statements at GDC, a conference for developers to interact with their peers and discuss the future of the medium. It's also a place for Epic to sell Unreal to other developers as a tool for their games. There's not a lot of reason for Epic to push a significantly upgraded and more demanding version of the Unreal Engine unless they have a reasonable expectation that there will be consoles to use it sooner, rather than later.

Frostbite 2.0 in action.

Microsoft Is An Aggressive, Product Oriented Company.

The Xbox 360 is closer to the success Microsoft wanted with the original Xbox, and the release of Kinect last year gave the system a shot in the arm in the marketplace. Still, we're on the ebb of the console cycle, and though this tends to be the most profitable moment of a console's lifetime, it also coincides with a low point in early-adopter and enthusiast interest. In all likelihood, Nintendo could be forcing Microsoft's hand with their Cafe release.

While Cafe is unlikely to be a world-destroying technical powerhouse, it will be more powerful than the Xbox 360. Developers are also unlikely to jump on board right away to Nintendo's new system given the platform holder's complicated history with third parties, but it's still a moment where Microsoft isn't controlling the narrative of the hardcore experience, which has been their strongest tactic in the wake of the Xbox 360's release. In short, Microsoft isn't a company that will sit and watch Nintendo go after its bread and butter, the hardcore. Sony has also demonstrated twice now that a legacy product (for Microsoft in this case, the Xbox 360 S with Kinect) can continue to sell and do well with a different market segment after the release of successor hardware. It would stand to reason that Microsoft could release the new Xbox next Christmas while still selling Kinect equipped Xbox 360s to a different audience.

Again, it worked for Sony.

The First-party Drought and 343i

We've heard our readers lament the lack of major first party exclusives on the Xbox 360 over the last year or so. It's been confusing - Microsoft has internal studios, and publishing relationships with mid-sized developers like Remedy. They've even got their own Halo focused studio, 343i. But rumors surfaced earlier this year that a Halo CE remake is in the works at Sabre Interactive, the developers of Timeshift.

This begs the question of what exactly 343i is working on. It isn't map packs - Certain Affinity did the bulk of the work on the most recent Halo Reach DLC release. 343i has become the prime destination for high profile MGS employees, and some of Microsoft's brightest technical minds call the studio home as well, including Corinne Yu, one of the architects of Direct3D and DirectX.

This is not what 343i is spending their time on.

Something's up, and it isn't Halo: Waypoint. If Saber Interactive does release a Halo remake this year, that leaves Microsoft without a major shooter release for the fall/winter window of 2012. A big-budget next-generation Halo doesn't seem so farfetched.

The Develop Story

Yes, EA officially "debunked" Develop's story, but that doesn't mean the story is untrue. Instead, the situation is probably a little more complicated.

Every Microsoft console has started as a collection of PC parts given to developers as a sort of arrow pointing them in the direction of hardware yet to be finalized. The Xbox 360 development kits shipped before the system went to retail were lightly modified PowerPC based Apple G5 towers, for example. This allows developers to plan games around the general specifications of a new platform, to use the additional raw power provided by the new hardware to do more of the same kinds of things developers were doing with the older hardware.

We've had confirmed to us through inside sources familiar with Microsoft's hardware roadmap that the company hasn't settled on final components the new system, but at this point, it's likely that Microsoft has a rough idea of what they want performance wise, and they've likely spoken to select developers about those capabilities. It's also probable that they're taking feedback from developers about their priorities with regards to new hardware - Epic famously "cost" Microsoft a billion dollars in additional production costs by strongly advocating for twice the system memory originally intended in the Xbox 360.

While EA may not have something even close to production hardware for the next Xbox, it's highly likely that Microsoft has provided EA with functional proof of concept hardware to begin the development process while Microsoft makes up their minds on the final parts list. Here's hoping that Microsoft figures it out faster this time than they did with the Xbox 360 - one development source told me earlier this year that Microsoft didn't provide prototype development kits for the 360 until approximately 11 months prior to the system's November 2005 launch, and several factors were in flux until even closer than that. Many developers didn't have official Kinect development kits until early 2010.

What We Expect

An actual hardware or game reveal for the next Xbox seems unlikely at this year's E3 – again, Microsoft announced the Xbox 360 in May 2005, six months before the system launched, and Microsoft has consistently played announcements close to the vest this generation. Instead, We think there's a good chance they'll show a pre-recorded demonstration of some kind teasing at a bigger announcement later this year, possibly timed to disrupt Nintendo in some way. Either way, we think Develop is right – the Xbox 360's successor is on the way, sooner than most people believed.

post #1282 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar360 View Post

I think that they will buy skype and then get rid o video kinect because it's obviously not taking in a broad enough crowd of people to be able to talk to an they will jus put skype on the xbox 360 I don't think they need a while new system for skype and next year they are making I so that you can put more apps on the 360 so I don't think the 360 is goin anywhere

Indeed. And that's exactly what they're doing. Either way, that will be a major differentiator going into the next gen. So far, 360 and PS3 have been neck-and-neck in terms of streaming services and other forms of online connectivity (especially Hulu, Facebook, Twitter, and Netflix). Microsoft has been a bit farther ahead with things like ESPN and LastFM.

But Skype is a major coup and fits in perfectly with their new Kinect push. Tens of millions of people will now be using their living room displays for video/phone calls. That's a major revolution.

post #1283 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I stand by what my close friend told me a few years ago. I shared that juicy tidbit with this thread and mentioned him (without name or company attribution) in a comment near the very beginning of this thread. "All of the preliminary design and spec work on the Next XBox is pretty much finished and MS is much farther along in development of Nexgen XBox than anyone can imagine". That person is CEO of a very famous gaming industry company that is very important to the success of XBox, Playstation, Apple and to a lesser degree, Nintendo. I am 100% certain that people from those companiues scour technical forums and threads like this to ascertain people's interest in things they are considering. They rely mostly on their own native intelligence, research and focus group feedback of course. I even suspect some people commenting on this very forum are participants in very exclusive MS, Sony and others, research groups. That is one of the reasons discussion has been so lively, interesting and expansive.

With that said, this article speculates that much of what we have been discussing is indeed plausible or true. It appears the details and part of truth will be revealed to us soon. But if I was a betting man, as mentioned earlier, I would bet that MS has no intention whatsoever to radically relaunch the XBox brand or scuttle the XB 360 business entirely. I agree with that core premise of this article.

IMO MS will disrupt the Nintendo announcement with a a tempting reveal on a "NEXUS hyper elite XBox" that will plow right into the lineup of the current XBox 360 console product assortment. And milk the momentum of this generation through at least 2018. I bet Sony will do the exact same thing with Playstation. The advanced SKU approach is much less expensive than relaunching a brand, that has been as successful as the XBox 360. In many ways Sony screwed up the Playstation Brand by launching PS3 with such an overarching technology leap. Sony prematurely dismantleded the successful PS2 marketplace. Neither company will repeat that mistake. Nor will they risk the debacle of RROD. MS won't have to deconstruct the entire XBox 360 market to fit the nexgen XBox-Extremus sku into the lineup. But I do believe they will indeed introduce a very powerful new XBox SKU in the 2012-2013 cycle to disrupt the market.
post #1284 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed. And that's exactly what they're doing. Either way, that will be a major differentiator going into the next gen. So far, 360 and PS3 have been neck-and-neck in terms of streaming services and other forms of online connectivity (especially Hulu, Facebook, Twitter, and Netflix). Microsoft has been a bit farther ahead with things like ESPN and LastFM.

But Skype is a major coup and fits in perfectly with their new Kinect push. Tens of millions of people will now be using their living room displays for video/phone calls. That's a major revolution.

"I second that emotion on this one"! As Smokey Robinson warbled on an old Miracles song.That could be a huge exclusive differentiator for the XBox. and it disrupts Apple, "BIG TIME"!
post #1285 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Even if, as that IGN article claims, developers are asking for a new console, I strongly doubt that publishers are banging at the gates of the next gen.

Developers constantly feel constrained by the limitations of given hardware specs. It's in their nature as developers to want to push the technology as far as they can. It means they can spend less time trying to eke out every last ounce of power that they can from a console. It means they can try all these fancy new things they haven't been able to do before. Etc.

But from a publisher perspective, all they see is how risky and expensive AAA game design has become this gen (averaging around $20-40 million). And it will only get exponentially worse next gen. Studios have been closing left and right over the past 3 years, a process accelerated by a bad economy (which is still in the dumps). Many have switched into smaller studios that make much less expensive, much less risky games. If we do get more powerful machines soon, I'm just not sure that very many publishers will make the transition, or if they do, not many will survive it. It's still too soon. Everyone needs another couple of years still for costs to come down, for technology to improve efficiency, and for consumers not to feel like cheap, "good enough" alternatives exist (especially Wii 2 and iPhone). I really can't imagine that we'll see a new Xbox any sooner than 2013. But I'd love to be wrong!

And this all assumes that Apple won't toss their hat into the console ring soon.

post #1286 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I have no idea why this posted twice. So I erased it.
post #1287 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
What I would love to see is some new hardware that is fully Backwards compatable, be it Sony or Microsoft in design, however, I also want the new systems games to also run on the old hardware, but in a reduced state similar to how PC games scale to work on reduced hardware. Look at Battlefield 3, Odds are it will be running at 600p 30fps on the current systems, however if this option existed we could see a version very close to the PC version come forth at 1080p 60fps with many more graphics options enabled.

This would be a very safe move as it would allow games to still be made for and sell on the old hardware, but at the same time a new system would have an entire library of games ready to go, all of which would look better than they did. Early adopters would love the upgraded graphics and performance while the rest of the world was content with the old hardware and handicaped versions of the same games.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1288 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

They are going to milk this gen as long as possible, and releasing a new console doesn't change any of that. If you were to dissect the gamut of gamers out there, many do not jump on the new console the first few years it is available. A lot of gamers come late to the generation and buy when the console hits a very low price point, and there are a ton of games available for cheap. I don't blame them at all, as you can get a ton of value out of a console in the last few years of it's life.

Even as "advanced" as the PS3 is, it is still crippled by the outdated GPU and RAM amount. It is in the same boat as the 360. The huge advancements are over and developers are being restricted by what the current hardware can do. Games will continue to pour out for the next few years for both current machines as the install bases are huge. 100+ million people have one or both of the current consoles and will buy games, even if a new console is available.

I would think the % of people who would love a new console is growing, and by next year the market would be ready for a new console. By 2013 the market will be even greater, maybe the largest it has ever been since it will be so long between console releases. I am not saying that they could sell 20 million units in a 6 month span, but they should be able to sell more than they did when the 360 released.

I think releasing a new console while the old model is selling well is key. The loses taken by the new console can be offset by the older machine. If I remember right Sony still made money in the Playstation division, even though the were losing so much money on every PS3 sold. It is a little easier for stock holders to accept a decline than a flat out loss.

I have read so many times that releasing a new console kills all momentum of the current system. I don't believe that at all. If someone is just now thinking of getting the 360, they aren't going to hold off and buy the new machine. There is a reason they didn't buy a 360 before, and it was probably due to expense and lack of games. All MS has to do when they announce the new machine is promise to keep the 360 going for a few more years (which they will). EA, Activision, Capcom, Ubisoft, THQ, etc will want to take advantage of the install base, so MS doesn't even have to use their in house studios to make games for 360. I would think the Kinect would get developed to work with both machines so a port to the 360 may not be a big deal. Added features of the Kinect may get people to jump onto the new system.

I think a year from now we will get the announcement of a new console coming in 2013, if anything to take some of the appeal away from Nintendo and their machine. A simple statement saying that the new Xbox will eat the new Nintendo for breakfast could get the hardcore to hold off. MS may shock the world and release a new console next year (I doubt this). Sony keeps getting left out of these discussions, and when they plan to release should have a major impact on MS and their release.

post #1289 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

What I would love to see is some new hardware that is fully Backwards compatable, be it Sony or Microsoft in design, however, I also want the new systems games to also run on the old hardware, but in a reduced state similar to how PC games scale to work on reduced hardware. Look at Battlefield 3, Odds are it will be running at 600p 30fps on the current systems, however if this option existed we could see a version very close to the PC version come forth at 1080p 60fps with many more graphics options enabled.

This would be a very safe move as it would allow games to still be made for and sell on the old hardware, but at the same time a new system would have an entire library of games ready to go, all of which would look better than they did. Early adopters would love the upgraded graphics and performance while the rest of the world was content with the old hardware and handicaped versions of the same games.

If MS sticks with the same hardware companies for the next machine (which I would think they will), they could have designed the systems to scale to each other as you suggest. Developers/Publishers would love that as you could design a game for both systems at the same time. I don't know how possible this is, but I would imagine MS tried to do this while designing the new console.

post #1290 of 7006 Old 05-10-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Sheesh, am I the only one who feels like this generation has gone by fast? It seems like only yesterday we were talking about 'limitations' with respects to the PS2/xbox/gamecube systems.

Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page