Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation.... - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

intellivision is one of the best systems i have ever owned!! i figured as long as we are off topic and just talking crazy i wanted in on the action

I like turtles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I was in Ireland for 2 weeks and traveled all over. Their internet speeds are terrible. The average household could pay a large sum of cash to max out with an 8MB connection. Most can't afford that so they have something like 1.5MB. The highest I found in the country was 15MB in a large Hotel.

Even with the higher speeds their internet crawled. There were a few instances that pages took a minute or two to load. That was Yahoo.ie so it wasn't going to the USA. It brought me back to dial-up days and I quickly remembered how terrible it used to be to go online. It was so frustrating that I only got online to check the Phillies scores from the night before as I could get that info pretty fast.

I would imagine there are a lot of countries in the world with these same problems. DD only will not be happening anytime soon.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #1533 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjames View Post

My guess is that they'll either do a proprietary format, or strike some deal using their Lawyers and Magic Pixie Dust to use Blu - Ray without having to use Java.

Totally agree Darth! MS only abandoned Blu-R when BRG bought Sun Micro/JAVA into the game. See how this goes YRD. You didn't forbid me to say Blu-Ray. I just switched hats!
post #1534 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

HD DVD is dead. Microsoft will *not* include an HD DVD drive as consumers will gag at the thought. You, or I won't but your average consumer will.

*snip*

My guess is that they'll either do a proprietary format

Well.. duh. How can you contradict yourself in the exact same statement.

Thats what people have been saying all along. That **IF** MS does use HDDVD disc in the next Xbox.. it will be for storage purposed only, not for movie playback.

The consumer doesnt a give a flying fock what 'format' their optical storage is in. They only care about playing games.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1535 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

I was in Ireland for 2 weeks and traveled all over. Their internet speeds are terrible. The average household could pay a large sum of cash to max out with an 8MB connection. Most can't afford that so they have something like 1.5MB. The highest I found in the country was 15MB in a large Hotel.

Even with the higher speeds their internet crawled. There were a few instances that pages took a minute or two to load. That was Yahoo.ie so it wasn't going to the USA. It brought me back to dial-up days and I quickly remembered how terrible it used to be to go online. It was so frustrating that I only got online to check the Phillies scores from the night before as I could get that info pretty fast.

I would imagine there are a lot of countries in the world with these same problems. DD only will not be happening anytime soon.

Welcome back to the matrix Byrnesy. Did you get to kiss the "Blarney Stone" over there? Also, did you get any feel whether the Irish are big time gamers on XBox, PS3, Nintendo, etc. If Net speeds are that slow. Maybe XBox Live and PSN are not such a big deal there.
post #1536 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Thats what people have been saying all along. That **IF** MS does use HDDVD disc in the next Xbox.. it will be for storage purposed only, not for movie playback.

The consumer doesnt a give a flying fock what 'format' their optical storage is in. They only care about playing games.

I just said all that with one word "arggg"

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #1537 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

The problem with "I was in" thinking.. is you guys are continually living in the past. This is the future we are talking about.. 3 or 4 years down the road from now. Internet speeds will increase, Internet availability will increase, Internet access costs will decrease. All technology becomes faster and cheaper as time passes on, this is inevitable.

Will internet access/speeds/pricing be available at a level to the vast majority of consumers, where a DD only console can be launched in 2014 or 2015 is the real question? I honestly think it can happen with the right R&D. There would have to be a optional optical disc unit, available in some for, if for anything to allow backward compabililty for current disc based games.

I do think it is plausible that in 2014-2015 we could see a DD only version of nextgen consoles. As the optional external disc drive can easily be added via a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt connection if it was needed. The same way the Netbook/Tablet computer can presently work with or without an optical drive.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1538 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Daekwan:

I think the bigger hurdle is the consumer and not the internet speeds. With Xbox 3 MS is going to find ways to get people to choose DD over disc. I am fine with that and hope they offer all games this way (I am following you waving your flag as the leader, lol). When I was in Costa Rica two years ago they JUST got internet. Speeds weren't too terrible, but it wasn't everywhere. There were a decent amount of gamers there too.

People love buying and trading games and that is the problem. Many will fight the change to DD and not giving them the option for a disc will chase people away. I seriously think Sony, Nintendo, and MS would have to pull this off together to kill the disc in one fell swoop.

We all know it is coming, just doubt in the next console cycle.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #1539 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Totally agree Darth! MS only abandoned Blu-R when BRG bought Sun Micro/JAVA into the game. See how this goes YRD. You didn't forbid me to say Blu-Ray. I just switched hats!

At this point that war should be over (gotta say though, I remember working with JAVA is it's early days and did not think it was going to make it. Talk about SLOOOOOOOOW, whew. I used to work for Sun and they was putting it everywhere they could.). JAVA is entrenched where it's at and it's pretty much at the "live with it" stage so MS really needs to move on.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #1540 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Excuse me but HD DVD is not a proprietary format. It was a standard that was open and available for anyone to produce.

You are naive if you truly believe that a new console, powered by an HD DVD disc is going to sell. As I stated before, we don't care. Joe Dirt sitting on his couch will remember 'Gosh darn didn't that HD DVD lose? It was a sub par product". It's not going to happen.

If they go for optical storage, it will be Blu Ray (with aforementioned loophole 'discovered' to not pay a dime to Sun or alternatively use Java), or something proprietary, Microsoft-Specific, Closed, Not available for others to use, Not licensed, Not maintained by a committe, etc. Proprietary.

post #1541 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Will internet access/speeds/pricing be available at a level to the vast majority of consumers, where a DD only console can be launched in 2014 or 2015 is the real question? I honestly think it can happen with the right R&D. There would have to be a optional optical disc unit, available in some for, if for anything to allow backward compabililty for current disc based games.

I do think it is plausible that in 2014-2015 we could see a DD only version of nextgen consoles. As the optional external disc drive can easily be added via a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt connection if it was needed. The same way the Netbook/Tablet computer can presently work with or without an optical drive.

Sorry dude, while it's a nice thought it's not going to happen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Internet_users

7% of the world population has a broadband connection. XBOX is available in over 32 countries.

Nintendo and Sony would KILL Microsoft if they were to isolate 93% of the world.

post #1542 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Excuse me but HD DVD is not a proprietary format. It was a standard that was open and available for anyone to produce.

You are naive if you truly believe that a new console, powered by an HD DVD disc is going to sell.
As I stated before, we don't care. Joe Dirt sitting on his couch will remember 'Gosh darn didn't that HD DVD lose?It was a sub par product". It's not going to happen.

If they go for optical storage, it will be Blu Ray (with aforementioned loophole 'discovered' to not pay a dime to Sun or alternatively use Java), or something proprietary, Microsoft-Specific, Closed, Not available for others to use, Not licensed, Not maintained by a committe, etc. Proprietary.

arggg!!

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #1543 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:

You are naive if you truly believe that a new console, powered by an HD DVD disc is going to sell. As I stated before, we don't care. Joe Dirt sitting on his couch will remember 'Gosh darn didn't that HD DVD lose? It was a sub par product". It's not going to happen.

Joe Dirt is not going to care about what format is in a console. We don't care and clearly current gen owners of game consoles do not care today. No one is going out to buy a PS3 for BR playback as they were in 2006. They go to Walmart to buy the $99 model. Instant Streaming is popular and will continue to get popular(%40 are using the 360 for instant streaming)

It doesn't matter if the next format is HD-DVD or BR or something else all together. All that matters is that devs will be happy with the space like some of them are with BR today. Movie playback by the time the nextbox comes out will not be a factor in purchasing the system.

The 5.0 is here
post #1544 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

arggg!!

ArggH!!

post #1545 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Will internet access/speeds/pricing be available at a level to the vast majority of consumers, where a DD only console can be launched in 2014 or 2015 is the real question?

No.

You're just asking for too much. What mbyrnes is talking about affects millions of people, across the world. Not like, in sub-Saharan Africa either. Lack of broadband access is a problem here in this country, even after 13+ years of broadband rollout work.

This is not a problem that will be fixed in 3 years. In fact it probably will never be fixed completely, and companies have to see if locking out all those customers is worth it. I doubt Sony and MS will think so.

Not just that, but the providers are starting to implement data caps. Yea, it sucks, but that is reality - if you only have 250 gigs a month, are you going to want to spend 10% or 20% of that to download one game?
post #1546 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ArggH!!

well, when you're done setting the conversation back 5 years...

XBL GT - se7entee7
post #1547 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

The "fracturing the market" paradigm was a legit and rich discussion to have regarding this topic. I believe that particular conversation would have eventually led us closer to what MS is actually planning to do. But it got hi-jacked by a few insulting epistles...from a few new posters...who didn't bother to research previous comments...to ascertain how we flesh out concepts on this thread. There is a big difference between saying "I don't get where you are coming from...but I think I disagree with you"...to "You don't have a clue what you are talking about you Dumbsh!t". That is where I tend to draw the line on who I talk too.

Them's fighting words!

I'm not sure if you're talking about me here but since I'm new I would guess you probably are. You're right I didn't read through every page of this 50-some page thread, but I did read through the first 15 or so and then the last 5 or so before I made any comments. If you read through my posts though I don't think I have made any insulting comments or attacked anything you or anyone else said. If anything your replies have been the insulting/confrontational posts, not mine.

From what I read it was a pretty interesting discussion and I decided to share my opinion on it. We are all just gamers excited to see what is coming next. None of us know for sure what that will be but to me that's a big part of the fun in new system launches.
post #1548 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:

7% of the world population has a broadband connection. XBOX is available in over 32 countries.

Nintendo and Sony would KILL Microsoft if they were to isolate 93% of the world.

Now take the current Gold accounts of 30 million users and the 70 million PSN accounts across their consoles and handhelds and then see how it is irrelevant that 7% of the world population is using broadband. Billions of people do not own current gen systems so I don't see what purpose it is to point out the world population when they all don't play video games in the first place. Nintendo and Sony also rely on that same broadband spectrum and that is assuming if Sony and Nintendo doesn't go the same route as well.

The 5.0 is here
post #1549 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

No.

You're just asking for too much. What mbyrnes is talking about affects millions of people, across the world. Not like, in sub-Saharan Africa either. Lack of broadband access is a problem here in this country, even after 13+ years of broadband rollout work.

This is not a problem that will be fixed in 3 years. In fact it probably will never be fixed completely, and companies have to see if locking out all those customers is worth it. I doubt Sony and MS will think so.

Not just that, but the providers are starting to implement data caps. Yea, it sucks, but that is reality - if you only have 250 gigs a month, are you going to want to spend 10% or 20% of that to download one game?

I think the best solution would be a compromise somewhere in the middle between what we have now and a DD only solution. I would be all for a console with no disk drive if it came with a huge hard drive or cloud based gaming. There are many people who still don't even have their systems connected to the internet in the US. There should probably be a SKU with a disk drive and maybe a smaller hard disk for those people to even out the cost. Another option would be a USB disk drive like someone mentioned earlier.

I only own 1 360 and I don't rent or buy used games. An all DD system would be perfect for me. Those of you with more than one console might have a problem with that though. They would have to give you multiple licenses or some other way to be able to play the games you buy on all your systems.

That brings up another problem. If they did give out multiple license codes with the purchase of a game what is to stop me and a friend from taking turns buying games and giving a spare code to the other person.
post #1550 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Now take the current Gold accounts of 30 million users and the 70 million PSN accounts across their consoles and handhelds and then see how it is irrelevant that 7% of the world population is using broadband. Billions of people do not own current gen systems so I don't see what purpose it is to point out the world population when they all don't play video games in the first place. Nintendo and Sony also rely on that same broadband spectrum and that is assuming if Sony and Nintendo doesn't go the same route as well.

Sorry, the fact that they don't have online subscriptions is irrelevant. They very well could purchase a system, and games on disc, and play them - Just not online.

post #1551 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No.

Nope!...I sure wouldn't. I was in Greece a few years back for the Olympics. They had basicly None. But in fairness to Daekwan...he has consistently said, while he prefers DD only. He doesn't see it happening for 1-maybe 2 generations out. That would be a 2025-2030 timeframe. WHo knows what will be available by then. But making up coverage for a 93% global hole will be ambitious even then. That's why I say, the little silvery and incresingly cheap optical disc will be with us for a long time. Probably past 2030 imo.
post #1552 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Joe Dirt is not going to care about what format is in a console.

Technically it doesn't matter. I said that. I personally don't care, as long as the software is great.

If the specs include the term 'HD DVD' it will matter.

Hre are some choice quotes regarding Nintendo's lack of Blu ray support

Quote:

"This is disappointing, i havent got a PS3 or blu-ray player so was hoping Wii U would play them. No DVD movies either like the Wii? "

Quote:

bollox was hoping for up-resed Mario Galaxy ... Really cant see why it cant do it ...

Quote:

Looks like I got to buy a blu ray player, Shame I was hoping they would include one

Quote:

BluRay is Sony's proprietary format, you're never going to see it on a Nintendo or Microsoft console

Quote:

I think not making it compatible with blu ray is a mistake, fair enough they probably would have had to pay a license fee but for me this will probably stop me from getting it. I already have a ps3 that does everything I want to do in one machine - if the vita comes up with a similar remote play facility like the wiiu ipadwanabee controller then I will get one of these instead.

I could scour the internets for more. These are all recent quotes from this week.

Sources:
http://forums.computerandvideogames....c.php?t=126376
http://forum.blu-ray.com/nintendo-wii/174402-wii-u.html
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...#ixzz1OnsQmS8L
http://wiiu.nintendolife.com/news/20...rmed_no_bluray
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...-ray-nintendo/

A first impression is important.

Quote:

Movie playback by the time the nextbox comes out will not be a factor in purchasing the system.

Microsoft is totally trying to position the XBOX brand as the center of your media experience in your living room. Movie Playback is a Priority-Zero feature!

post #1553 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

It may not be up to Sony and MS, though. It's the publishers who are pushing most strongly for a DD future.

For the major pubs, they're now looking at about 50% of total revenue from DD. However, the margins are much higher for DD and remain higher for longer (retail doesn't just cost more to produce/distribute, it also drops price faster to clear space for newer product; and there's the whole issue with used sales). What that means is that once we reach the tipping point where the percentage of total revenue is high enough that real profit from DD far surpasses physical sales, then publishers will think very seriously about dropping discs altogether. It also has a cascading effect. As DD picks up speed, it makes physical media (distribution, manufacturing, retail) exponentially more expensive with exponentially decreasing margins.

Basically, that means pubs can make much more money selling DD to fewer customers than with physical media. So it may not matter that large percentages of the current consumer base are without decent broadband. Profit is king, and at a certain point it no longer is cost effective to bother with physical media. But that's maybe 5 years or more down the road.

As for the next console and whether it's all DD or not, it all depends on when it's released. If it's released before that tipping point, it'll have physical media. If after, it won't. My sense is that MS will release a console before that tipping point, so it'll definitely have physical media. But it'll probably be the last console gen to do so.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1554 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king3pj View Post

I'm not sure if you're talking about me here but since I'm new I would guess you probably are. You're right I didn't read through every page of this 50-some page thread, but I did read through the first 15 or so and then the last 5 or so before I made any comments. If you read through my posts though I don't think I have made any insulting comments or attacked anything you or anyone else said. If anything your replies have been the insulting/confrontational posts, not mine.

From what I read it was a pretty interesting discussion and I decided to share my opinion on it. We are all just gamers excited to see what is coming next. None of us know for sure what that will be but to me that's a big part of the fun in new system launches.

Not at all. Welcome to the club! The 2 guys I was addressing know who they are. Because they clamped their "Soup Coolers" shut when the soup got hot. I don't even mind them. As long as they can take the heat when they shoot personal stuff. I just think personal attacks weaken our conversation. I know it makes me look weak and dumb to myself when I stoop to it in angry responses. This thread is a ton of fun. It's my favorite. XBox Live Forum is dead since the Forum change. So I really like this thread. I like how we throw the brilliant out there with the absurd. And over time and bloody bodies come to understanding all sides of a position.
post #1555 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

It may not be up to Sony and MS, though. It's the publishers who are pushing most strongly for a DD future.

For the major pubs, they're now looking at about 50% of total revenue from DD. However, the margins are much higher for DD and remain higher for longer (retail doesn't just cost more to produce/distribute, it also drops price faster to clear space for newer product; and there's the whole issue with used sales). What that means is that once we reach the tipping point where the percentage of total revenue is high enough that real profit from DD far surpasses physical sales, then publishers will think very seriously about dropping discs altogether. It also has a cascading effect. As DD picks up speed, it makes physical media (distribution, manufacturing, retail) exponentially more expensive with exponentially decreasing margins.

Basically, that means pubs can make much more money selling DD to fewer customers than with physical media. So it may not matter that large percentages of the current consumer base are without decent broadband. Profit is king, and at a certain point it no longer is cost effective to bother with physical media. But that's maybe 5 years or more down the road.

As for the next console and whether it's all DD or not, it all depends on when it's released. If it's released before that tipping point, it'll have physical media. If after, it won't. My sense is that MS will release a console before that tipping point, so it'll definitely have physical media. But it'll probably be the last console gen to do so.

Microsoft can sate the publishers desires by offering DD, as they do now. But Microsoft is not going to take a risk to their bottom line by offering a DD-Only console. That is suicide. They are a risk taking company (Kinect) but won't take a major risk like that on. Kinect could have flopped, the R&D is being used in their other product lines (Windows 8+, Windows Phone, TV Ventures, Autos, Etc) - It's not a wasted effort. Fortune shined upon them and Kinect hasn't flopped.

Someone else can do it first, demonstrate they can make a killing and that a DD-Only world is sustainable. Microsoft can then eliminate production of disks/memory sticks/holographic cubes/whatever the hell they store their media on in the next release that *cough will not be HD DVD cough* without pushing out yet-another-console and only distribute future games via digital. Hell, they can do it now. They won't anytime soon. It won't happen in the next 10 years.

post #1556 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

The problem with "I was in" thinking.. is you guys are continually living in the past. This is the future we are talking about.. 3 or 4 years down the road from now. Internet speeds will increase, Internet availability will increase, Internet access costs will decrease. All technology becomes faster and cheaper as time passes on, this is inevitable.

2014 is not that far away. We are closer to 2014 than we are to 2007 and not much improvement has been made since 2007 in regards to price or bandwidth. I don't expect 2014 internet to be much better than 2011 internet except for those who wish to pay a premium.
post #1557 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

At this point that war should be over (gotta say though, I remember working with JAVA is it's early days and did not think it was going to make it. Talk about SLOOOOOOOOW, whew. I used to work for Sun and they was putting it everywhere they could.). JAVA is entrenched where it's at and it's pretty much at the "live with it" stage so MS really needs to move on.

You are soooo right on sloooooow BD-J. That is why I hate it and rarely use it. I just watch the Blu-Ray movies without the internet clutter. and they are spectacular! BTW...that war is over and done except in China & other parts of Asia. But it is wide open as a game console platform. That is one of the topics we have been kicking around on this thread...to the chagrin of many. I guess I am as much the champion of the Dreaded "H" disc premise as Daekwan is the "Yoda of DD"...Digital Download only.
post #1558 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

MOST. IDIOTIC. POST. EVER. (...on this thread)

Who the F' cares if people in Tanzania do not have broadband connection? Out of those 93% of the people in the world who do not have broadband access, 95% don't make enough money in a year to purchase an Xbox. We are talking about people who live on few dollars a week. And you think Microsoft would kill their market by not targeting these people??? Are you serious???

Xbox is available for sale in 38 countries which just happens to be the 38 countries with the most advanced network infrastructure - mostly in US, Europe, East Asia, and Australia. Probably 99% of the countries outside those 38 do not have readily accessible connection to the Internet, but who the F cares???

In fact, a large number of 38 countries like South Korea, Japan, Germany, etc. have much faster connection speed and is much more widely available than US!

Even in countries like India where Xbox is sold, where 99% of the population do not have access to Internet, it does not matter! People who don't have Internet access cannot afford to purchase Xbox either, so it is a moot point. The people who can afford Xbox, have ready access to high-speed Internet even in places like India.
post #1559 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

MOST. IDIOTIC. POST. EVER. (...on this thread)

Who the F' cares if people in Tanzania do not have broadband connection?

Those responsible for the return on investment do. They will look at the proposal of 'Digital Download only', look at the potential customer base, look at the 'Internet Subscription Required' tagline that would need to be attached to the product packaging and reply with a big 'F You' and tell them to redesign it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostradamus View Post

Xbox is available for sale in 32 countries which just happens to be the 32 countries with the most advanced network infrastructure - mostly in US, Europe, East Asia, and Australia. Probably 99% of the countries outside those 32 do not have readily accessible connection to the Internet

Maintaining status-quo with their customer base is not their goal. They want world domination, so do their shareholders. Their shareholders 'F CARE'

Quote:

In fact, a large number of 32 countries like South Korea, Japan, Germany, etc. have much faster connection speed and is much more widely available than US!

They probably have better healthcare options and a better education system.

Quote:

Even in countries like India where Xbox is sold, where 99% of the population do not have access to Internet, it does not matter!

See datapoint regarding maintaining status quo. If microsoft could get an XBOX in the hands of a bajillion indians at a price point they can afford, then nickel and dime them like the cell providers do in that country, they would increase their ROI drastically and shareholders would rejoice. Microsoft F'in CARES

Quote:

People who don't have Internet access cannot afford to purchase Xbox either, so it is a moot point.

This is an assumption and not based on fact.

Quote:

The people who can afford Xbox, have ready access to high-speed Internet even in places like India.

And in places like Australia, where you pay for your broadband by the MB - Your games are going to cost you 50MB + $1 per GB of data. Are you really going to pay that? No? Thought so.

"MOST.IDIOTIC.POST.EVER".

post #1560 of 7006 Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

Microsoft is totally trying to position the XBOX brand as the center of your media experience in your living room. Movie Playback is a Priority-Zero feature!

That's why I won't rule out blu ray on the next system. But if they are focusing on wii-like features, I'm going to be passing.

Kinect is nice piece of tech with some very cool unintended hacks, but nothing I've seen of this device makes me want to buy one for my game system. I really hope it's not a major point on the next machine.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page