Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation.... - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Two words...

Battery life.

Argee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been gaming since space invaders was an amazing new game.

I can honestly say I've never had as many or such fine gaming experiences on any other platform compared with the 360. I've never had another platform that had such longevity and still didn't yet feel limited or behind the times.

It doesn't feel old as someone else already pointed out and the drive to improve graphics and sound with the next generetion seems to be somewhat inconsequential now.

I suspect that the hardware we currently have access to has significanty outstripped the games developers abilities to create a title that makes complete use of it whilst still being able to develop and then sell the game in a time frame that can make the game profitable.

I really don't think raw grunt capabilities of the hardware will be what drives the next generation take up...I'm not sure any of the big three console manufacturers have any idea either.

Hopefully they won't resort to gimmickery , which seems to have been the case for the last couple of years . The kinect is a nice gimmick but in gameplay terms its impact so far has been negligble , impressive in some ways but of little consequence at ground level ( I have a kinect by the way).

The new Wii looks ridiculous , the PS3 in my opinion never managed to outshine the 360. Even the good PS3 exclusives were not really representative of anything that couldn't be done on a 360 as well if not better . So the whole exclusivity thing is just another cynical way of rail roding the gamer.

As a gaming platform I definitely regard the 360 as being the winner this generation . The Wii was a succesful toy. The PS3 was just the also ran to me and most of my friends who have one primarily bought it as a bd player.

The original Xbox to my mind ( probably because of Halo) was much better than the PS2 but a little too late to the party that gen. I have to admit the PS2 was something I played a handful of games on (GTA3 and baldur's gate I rememebr fondly) but on the whole was a bit of a damp squib to me.

The original playstation is something I got a lot of entertainment from and ironically the 360 feels more akin to that in terms of dependable entertainment than the PS3 ever managed.

If microsoft follow the same strategy they employed with the 360 next time around ; early to market , excellent connectivity , great controller and at least some great games available I have no doubts whatsoever they will be the undeniable top dog.

However the question remains , what exactly will the next generation actually bring to the table that the games industry itself can viably create profitable games for? Whats the point of the new Wii having ipad style controllers if it takes the game companies twice as long to create games for it ? Whats the point of having improvements in hardware if it means the games companies take an ice age to craft a game and then have to charge $200 for it to remain in business?

I don't think we'll get cloud next gen either. My 360 is networked 100% of the time but I still like to know I can play games without net access. Going cloud would make the numbers worse , at least some of those people buying this gen simply won't have a net connection. What about the consoles in kids bedrooms? They don't all have free access to the internet I imagine.

digital film janitor
post #1653 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

I play console games because I DON'T want compromises. I want the best possible gaming experience possible.

I had to laugh at this line. I think if you didn't want compromises and you want the best possible gaming experience you'd be playing pc games on a big screen tv.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #1654 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Since the release of Windows Phone 7, half of the people online on my 360 friends list are playing on their phones while I'm on my 360 console. Also, this thread is all about guessing, predicting, prognosticating, and armchair market analysis; mobile gaming is the fastest growing segment of the industry. It will certainly affect whatever MS does next with it's next console, next phone platform, and next big direction for Kinect. So that sounds on topic to me; I think you're just in the wrong thread.

I call BS. You know people who bought a Windows Phone 7? I thought that was a myth.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #1655 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Who gives a flyin F($K about iPad and mobile games???

Obviously enough to make it a topic of discussion.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #1656 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I call BS. You know people who bought a Windows Phone 7? I thought that was a myth.

lol, so true.

WP7 flopped big time.
post #1657 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

anyone looking for a fun castle crashers like experience on android or iOS owes it to themselves to try out battleheart.... favorite smart/tablet game by far.

Quote:

EDIT: Put it this way: Angry Birds is the only game that me, my sister, my brother, my dad, and my mom all play regularly. That's pretty f-ing awesome IMO.

Plants vs Zombies FTW!!!

I have played this game so much I sing the music to the game in my head all day & night

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1658 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

I've been gaming since space invaders was an amazing new game.

I can honestly say I've never had as many or such fine gaming experiences on any other platform compared with the 360. I've never had another platform that had such longevity and still didn't yet feel limited or behind the times.

It doesn't feel old as someone else already pointed out and the drive to improve graphics and sound with the next generetion seems to be somewhat inconsequential now.

I suspect that the hardware we currently have access to has significanty outstripped the games developers abilities to create a title that makes complete use of it whilst still being able to develop and then sell the game in a time frame that can make the game profitable.

I really don't think raw grunt capabilities of the hardware will be what drives the next generation take up...I'm not sure any of the big three console manufacturers have any idea either.

Hopefully they won't resort to gimmickery , which seems to have been the case for the last couple of years . The kinect is a nice gimmick but in gameplay terms its impact so far has been negligble , impressive in some ways but of little consequence at ground level ( I have a kinect by the way).

The new Wii looks ridiculous , the PS3 in my opinion never managed to outshine the 360. Even the good PS3 exclusives were not really representative of anything that couldn't be done on a 360 as well if not better . So the whole exclusivity thing is just another cynical way of rail roding the gamer.

As a gaming platform I definitely regard the 360 as being the winner this generation . The Wii was a succesful toy. The PS3 was just the also ran to me and most of my friends who have one primarily bought it as a bd player.

The original Xbox to my mind ( probably because of Halo) was much better than the PS2 but a little too late to the party that gen. I have to admit the PS2 was something I played a handful of games on (GTA3 and baldur's gate I rememebr fondly) but on the whole was a bit of a damp squib to me.

The original playstation is something I got a lot of entertainment from and ironically the 360 feels more akin to that in terms of dependable entertainment than the PS3 ever managed.

If microsoft follow the same strategy they employed with the 360 next time around ; early to market , excellent connectivity , great controller and at least some great games available I have no doubts whatsoever they will be the undeniable top dog.

However the question remains , what exactly will the next generation actually bring to the table that the games industry itself can viably create profitable games for? Whats the point of the new Wii having ipad style controllers if it takes the game companies twice as long to create games for it ? Whats the point of having improvements in hardware if it means the games companies take an ice age to craft a game and then have to charge $200 for it to remain in business?

I don't think we'll get cloud next gen either. My 360 is networked 100% of the time but I still like to know I can play games without net access. Going cloud would make the numbers worse , at least some of those people buying this gen simply won't have a net connection. What about the consoles in kids bedrooms? They don't all have free access to the internet I imagine.

Excellent post and I absolutely agree pretty much everything you said. Your opinion is even more impressive considering your "AVS age" and that you are based in UK. Most of the opinions we see in the 360 are from "younger members" and of course are American. Doesnt necessarily mean one opinion is 'more right' than others.. but its still amazing to see you agree with the same thoughts I have.

I've always thought outside the US.. people hated American consoles, American games and Microsoft in general.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1659 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I've always thought outside the US.. people hated American consoles, American games and Microsoft in general.

Except the UK is a little US clone, you should know that from watching any sales news. They buy the same stuff as the US, which means shooters and waggle games.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #1660 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

lol, so true.

WP7 flopped big time.

I cant call it a flop just yet, because its still evolving. The Mango announcement was definitely huge, Nokia (formerly the worlds biggest cell phone manufacter) is now running WP7 exclusively.. and Windows 8 integration with the WP platform (tablets & smartphones) will guaranteed WP7 a certain level of success.

It still remains to be seen exactly how much traction MS can gain, with them coming so late to the party. IMO Apple still has the overall lead, Android is now a close second and Blackberry is still fighting for respectable marketshare. That would put WP7 devices in 4th place behind those guys.. with HP's WebOS being the last of the Mohicans.

One thing is certain though, and that is change. 10 years ago.. hell just 5 years ago.. that order was completely different. Nokia was #1, Blackberry #2, and Palm #3. Apple & Androind were both non-existent. Amazing how much can happen in 5 years!

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1661 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Except the UK is a little US clone, you should know that from watching any sales news. They buy the same stuff as the US, which means shooters and waggle games.

To be honest I stopped watching sales news several years ago. The only sales stats I see (or post now) are general annual summaries.. or special announcements.. that both appear on the most common websites (Engadget, CNET, Gizmodo, Anandtech, etc).

While I prefer the 360, have always wanted it to do well and have reaped the various benefits of its success & popularity. Who comes in 1st, 2nd or 3rd this generation means little to me. Reality is.. As long as the games I love to play & friends I love to play with are available to me.. then I'm happy. You could give me a yearly updated version of COD & Madden and a great group of guys to play with.. and I would be okay. Technically speaking I could play COD & Madden on the PS3 just fine. I've experienced both games on the PS3 & while the experience is absolutely acceptable and generally more of the same.. I still greatly prefer to do so on the 360..

Where my loyality to the 360 primarily lies.. is in an awesome group of core friends on XBL that I have built up in 9 years of being an XBL subscriber. That group and the additional refinement of XBL makes the 360 literally priceless to me. Sealing that loyality is the fact that the bigger 360 controller feels better in my bigger (American) hands.. and my favourite games (COD & Madden) are US designed games by US companies who make sure they support the US console, manufacter & customer first. Both COD & Madden have always shown preference to the 360. Even now Activision has already announced the 360 will have exclusive MW3 content & DLC first AND that next map pack for Black Ops will be released on 6/28 for the 360 first (PS3 release to come later). All that means another year, where I'm guaranteed to buy games for the 360 instead of on other platforms.

I respect the Japenese gaming titles, development studios, manufacters, and exclusives.. but they are without a doubt far less attractive to me..

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1662 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I cant call it a flop just yet, because its still evolving. The Mango announcement was definitely huge, Nokia (formerly the worlds biggest cell phone manufacter) is now running WP7 exclusively.. and Windows 8 integration with the WP platform (tablets & smartphones) will guaranteed WP7 a certain level of success.

It still remains to be seen exactly how much traction MS can gain, with them coming so late to the party. IMO Apple still has the overall lead, Android is now a close second and Blackberry is still fighting for respectable marketshare. That would put WP7 devices in 4th place behind those guys.. with HP's WebOS being the last of the Mohicans.

I am one of those Mohicans... lol... Palm Pre over here. I'll be getting an iPhone when my contract runs out.

WP7 on Nokia... we'll see. WP7 is now like halfway between iPhone (Apple does everything) and Android (Google does OS and some apps, carriers do everything else). But I think Nokia threw away a lot of their strengths to sign up with MS...
post #1663 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
[quote=Mr.D;20576103]I've been gaming since space invaders was an amazing new game.I can honestly say I've never had as many or such fine gaming experiences on any other platform compared with the 360. I've never had another platform that had such longevity and still didn't yet feel limited or behind the times."

A really wonderful post! I enjoyed reading every word of it. Thank you Mr D. Please chime in again whenever the urge moves you. I don't agree with all of your points. But it doesn't matter. I agree with 98% of them. And I totally agree with your over-arching premise. I too fondly remember playing Space Invaders in the Holiday Inns with Swimming pools and Arcade Rooms, when my kids were younger. I have been an avid gamer since the early 1980's. I also bought an original Apple Computer and Kaypro 10...and played the "stick figure" games on them to much delight. Those were the days!

I especially agree with you that the XBox 360 bridges a lot of generation gaps that our generation fully understand and appreciate maybe a little more. I relish the weekends playing on XBoxLive with my grandchildren in Japan, Brazil and Providence RI. It is usually the highlight of my weeks. And I never tell their parents they are cussin' in japanese, Portugese & English like little drunk sailors with Grandpa. Especially in the wargames like Halo. And the "Ole Man" nails them with patience and strategy. When it's just about quickness...I'M TOAST!

I love the consoles. I will buy Nintendo WiiU. And I will definitely buy NexBox. A PS4 would be on the bubble for me. I am satisfied with my PS3. I have read with great joy and interest the recent exploration of moblie gaming on this thread. A lot of great passion around that platform & topic. While it is not my cup of tea...it does remind me of people playing games the way you and I played Space Invaders! So I am sure MS will make a definitive move into that arena with Windows 7,8, WP7 and XBox Live. But I don't think their Nexgen console will dwell on it.

In conclusion...I have a very elaborate 82" LaserVue big screen HT with an adjacent Home Arcade room next to it. I live in Boston MA. The arcade room has every single console I've ever owned in it...going all the way back to Atari, Coleco Vision, Sega, All of the Nintendo's except Wii. and the Original XBox, PS1,2. The XBox 360 and PS3 are in the Big Boy Room.

Each console has its own optimized screen ranging from 15" Crt to 26" for the XBox and ps1 & 2. The kids and Grand kids live in that room with their friends when they are over. My youngest son and his wife...who live in Maynard MA, have a big Party with their friends every year in the house. And that old retro arcade room is where you'll always find all of the guys camped out. Guess which console they fight like cats and dogs over? Its the Atari. I recently bought the reworked Atari 2600 with 40 retro classic games preloaded on it from Amazon for $26.00. The grandkids actually fight over that one. So there is definitely something going on with Mobile Apps that is reminiscent of the earliest years of gaming.

Thanks for indulging me. And again...a wonderful post Mr D.
post #1664 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'll throw in as a WP7 user for ~1.5 months. I love my phone. It's a different paradigm but after you align to it, the experience is fantastic. It still has some rough edges and missing features but they're all being addressed in Mango. And from there every new feature will just be cake. My iPhone served me well for a couple of years but I'm very happy I tried something new.

Obviously calling the OS a flop now is wildly premature. It may eventually be but the future of WP7 currently looks quite bright.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #1665 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

IMO Apple still has the overall lead, Android is now a close second and Blackberry is still fighting for respectable marketshare.

Android passed iOS awhile ago in market penetration. Unfair to call WP7 out of the game considering how new it is, although forecasts expect it to grow and surpass iOS by 2015, and developer interest will no doubt go through the roof with how Windows 8 is looking. Of course forecasts are just that: forecasts (Source 1 and Source 2)

Quote:

WP7 is now like halfway between iPhone (Apple does everything) and Android (Google does OS and some apps, carriers do everything else). But I think Nokia threw away a lot of their strengths to sign up with MS...

Not to start a whole fanboy argument, but you couldn't pay me enough to get an iPhone (I do have a company-bought iPad though....not really my choice). Apple hardly does "everything" and Android hardly does "some apps" and I don't quite know what you're talking about with your "carriers do everything else" statement.

iOS 4 is pretty dated at this point, and iOS 5's announced features aren't anything to write home about (most of the stuff is things Android already does, and it's still missing a lot of key features).

It mostly boils down to personal preference though and what you want out of your phone. Too many drawbacks to the iPhone for me personally. Not that Android doesn't have it's own issues of course.

I honestly like WP7 as well....it's pretty nice, but not quite there yet for me to choose one over Android. I'll be ready for a new phone about this time next year so I'll re-evaluate then. I did have my Evo customized to look like WP7 for awhile thought since I like the WP7 tiles.
post #1666 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I'm eligible for a free smartphone upgrade and I think I'll be replacing my Blackberry Torch with a WP7 device. Like mproper you could not pay me to use an iPhone.
post #1667 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post
Two words...

Battery life.
A conditional agreement with a workaround. If I still traveled as much as I did in my younger days...I would not be interested in this tech with its battery life issues. Plus my bias is to use a telephone to talk business...family check-ins...or emergencies. But if I could dock it with my laptop or tablet...dial up XBox Live and access games from my Nexgen Console from my XBox Live Cloud Server...I would be all over this. I would like to hear from those more knowledgeable than me about this topic...how its best applies to XBox Nexgen and its convergence with HTPC gaming via Windows 8.
post #1668 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post
Android passed iOS awhile ago in market penetration..
Thats actually a very common misconception. When all idevices are counted (to include primarily the iPod Touch generation) iOS is still by a large margin the #1 mobile OS. If you are talking just smartphones.. (no tablets or media players) then yes Android is the current leader.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #1669 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The demise of WP7 is greatly exaggerated.

You have to remember that for most phone manufacturers, WP7 devices have been the least important to the business (after Android and low cost). And as such, they have not put their best designers for WP7 devices.

That will change with Nokia. WP7 IS Nokia now. They will have their best teams working on various WP7 devices, and their design team is still one of the best, if not THE best mobile device designers around.

I expect we will see some VERY cool stuff coming out of Nokia for WP7. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some form-factor geared specifically for gaming.
post #1670 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Thats actually a very common misconception. When all idevices are counted (to include primarily the iPod Touch generation) iOS is still by a large margin the #1 mobile OS. If you are talking just smartphones.. (no tablets or media players) then yes Android is the current leader.
True, but we were talking phones and not iPods. But I should've clarified.
post #1671 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post

However the question remains , what exactly will the next generation actually bring to the table that the games industry itself can viably create profitable games for?

Exactly. We've hit the breaking point this gen.

A lot of companies willingly took a big loss at the beginning of this gen, and most of those companies never made that money back, and many closed up shop for good. I don't think very many will willingly do that again. And right now, the safest bets aren't tech-forward.

Best case scenario: safe bets like social and mobile games end up funding expensive tech-forward titles on a new MS console. Worst case: only a few big publishers can afford to develop big titles for the next big MS console, and every other developer and publisher migrates to XBLA, iOS, and Facebook.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1672 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

It's semi official. Halo 4 will be releeased for the XBox 360 in 2012.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1175819p1.html

That eliminates all of the guessing about Nexgen coming out surprisingly in 2012. And even casts some doubt about 2013. Since article implies a remake of Halo 2 will also follow Halo CE. Looks like MS is really tightening the Halo script for the upcoming trilogyto potentially exploit Nexgen and Halo Waypoint. What would really be interesting is if Halo 2 is remade for NexGen in 2014 with a Halo 5 sequel following in 2016. This keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. But MS seems to be throwing out a lot of smoke and smoke signals around Nexgen right now.
post #1673 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

That eliminates all of the guessing about Nexgen coming out surprisingly in 2012. And even casts some doubt about 2013.

Unless--as some of us think--the "next gen" will be much more incremental and unfolds over the next few years in fits and starts (required HDDs, disc usage optimization, Kinect tech upgrades, 3D functionality, cloud storage/play, etc).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1674 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless

Quote:

--as some of us think--the "next gen" will be much more incremental and unfolds over the next few years in fits and starts (required HDDs, disc usage optimization, Kinect tech upgrades, 3D functionality, cloud storage/play, etc).

Even though it would be less exciting...that's what I think they will do too. I always argued that premise on this thread. They could do most of that within the context of the XBox 360 business plan. In reality...they could have launched a totally diffferent...full NexGen in 2012 if they wanted too. Because they finished spec'ing it in 2010. They have just been incrementally integrating many of those spec's into the XBox 360...while admittedly "just waiting for a certain type of HDTV Display tech" to unfold. For sure they continued to tweak the spec's for Nexgen too. Some think that display tech was 3D. Some think it was 4k by 2k.

Reality could be more simple. MS may not think the marketplace is quite ready yet for a full blown NexGen console with paradigm shift capability. Especially with the emergence of cheaper Mobile gaming as discussed over the prior 2 pages of this thread. What they announce at E3 2012 may be just relevant to what will happen in 2014 and beyond. They may only announce and showcase a working prototype. To showcase where they are taking XBox, Windows Live , XB Live, Cloud & Mobile integration.

Either way it looks like games launched in 2012-2013 will be for the XBox 360. And that is indicative of the continued incremental improvement approach.

I do have a question for the more knowledgeable ones on this thread about GPU/CPU chipset design in the XBox 360 Slim. Why can't the new Slim Chipset and XBox 360 OS be modified & updated to handle DX-11? Let me explain why I ask. Is it possible for MS to just create a totally proprietary XBox NexGen OS...and license exclusive manufacturers to make XBox consoles to whatever spec they wanted...to exploit new and emerging technologies? Of course they would have to design around MS core specs for the Xbox 360 or NexGen. But an HP for example could make a $600-$1000 Hybrid XBox Console/gaming computer, that played all XBox games and PC games in one console. And it could be updated by users as technology changed. Essentially MS would be selling Windows 8, XBox Software and WP7 to selective hardware people who would make the machines under license to MS. Just like they do now with windows/Office/computers. I know some obvious downsides to this approach. But I'm curious what others think. Just asking?
post #1675 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
They don't want to fragment the game market by having some games work and others not depending on your console.
post #1676 of 7006 Old 06-16-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

They don't want to fragment the game market by having some games work and others not depending on your console.

That's certainly one of the biggies. But couldn't they create ruthless guidelines to insure compatibility and prevent workarounds. I would think "Hacking" would be a big issue too. Not sure about cost impacts. Because they would shed a ton of hard goods costs and risks.
post #1677 of 7006 Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 186
It could be updated to run dx11 but then it wouldn't be powerful enough to make use of any of the new features.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #1678 of 7006 Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
It could be updated to run dx11 but then it wouldn't be powerful enough to make use of any of the new features.

Perhaps in an SLI configuration it could....
post #1679 of 7006 Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

A

Not to start a whole fanboy argument, but you couldn't pay me enough to get an iPhone (I do have a company-bought iPad though....not really my choice). Apple hardly does "everything" and Android hardly does "some apps" and I don't quite know what you're talking about with your "carriers do everything else" statement.

iPhone: Apple designs the OS, Apple builds the phone, tests the hardware, manages the updates, etc. It's all in Apple's shop.

Android: Google maintains the OS along with accompanying apps, then gives it away (yes, for free) to anyone who wants to build hardware with it. Those manufacturers then do what they like. It's why we have Sense UI or whatever. It's why some Android phones have crudware when you buy it.

Also, Google, when it comes time to release an OS, sends it out and the manufacturers apply it if they feel like it.

Microsoft: Microsoft designs the OS and accompanying apps, has semi-strict hardware specifications but leaves it up to phone carriers to go beyond. They also write updates but leave it to the manufacturers. But now they have a preferred vendor to work with. So they are in between the two approaches here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrellbelly View Post

That eliminates all of the guessing about Nexgen coming out surprisingly in 2012. And even casts some doubt about 2013. Since article implies a remake of Halo 2 will also follow Halo CE. Looks like MS is really tightening the Halo script for the upcoming trilogyto potentially exploit Nexgen and Halo Waypoint. What would really be interesting is if Halo 2 is remade for NexGen in 2014 with a Halo 5 sequel following in 2016. This keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. But MS seems to be throwing out a lot of smoke and smoke signals around Nexgen right now.

When Halo 4 was announced, Mattrick's exact words were "the start of a new trilogy on Xbox 360." Now you can parse this several different ways, but it seems to me like they are planning to put 3 new Halo games on Xbox 360. Of course that doesn't mean that the new system won't come out with new Halo on 360 (look at God of War 2), but as I keep saying... there is no indication that MS is in any rush to bring out a new piece of hardware.
post #1680 of 7006 Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

When Halo 4 was announced, Mattrick's exact words were "the start of a new trilogy on Xbox 360." Now you can parse this several different ways, but it seems to me like they are planning to put 3 new Halo games on Xbox 360. Of course that doesn't mean that the new system won't come out with new Halo on 360 (look at God of War 2), but as I keep saying... there is no indication that MS is in any rush to bring out a new piece of hardware.

Considering how the major Halo games have been spaced out, if Halo 4 is due out in 2012-2013, unless they shorten the time frame between games to annual releases( which I personally don't see happening), hypothetically you'd be look at a 2014-2015 release for Halo 5, and a 2017-ish release for Halo 6. I can't imagine we'll still be with the 360 by that point, or that MS would put such a marque game on anything but the nextbox.

My personal opinion: Halo 4 will be the last major Halo release on the 360, and Halo 5 will probably be a launch title for the nextbox. They'll let Halo 4 have a couple years on the market to itself, then release the nextbox in the 2014 timeframe. Of course we could all totally off-base, but it's fun to speculate in any event

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Closed Thread Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page