Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation.... - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 7006 Old 01-28-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I've bought used games twice. Purchase, put away, a year goes by, purchase again...put away...see second copy already in cabinet. Engage FacePalm.

Not had that happen yet, I've lucked out on that one. All multiple purchases have been purposeful... mostly (4 copies of FFXIII being my most copies of 1 game)

1 360 copy
1 PS3 GH copy (THANKS AMAZON!)
1 PS3 standard copy
1 PS3 JPN import

Fun Fact, Trophies transfer from English to Japanese, but saves do not.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

COD IMO is not casual. It isn't a game you can pick up and do well with. Most COD players invest days of their life to it trying to improve their play. The casual gamers in my life wont touch it because they can't handle the controls, and forget about the speed of it. Casual games usually have simple controls and are easy to grasp.

The 720 isn't going to appeal to casuals out the gate. Why invest $500 or more in a toy you might play 2-3 hours a week. The 360 will appeal to them for years to come.

I view HC players as people willing to spend whatever is needed to play the greatest system out. They are willing to go through the drought of games that always occurs the first 1-2 years of a consoles life. OG Wii gamers I knew sold their consoles after a few months because they were bored with it. Say whatever you want about MS not caring about the HC, but I have given MS thousands of dollars this Gen. I own a catalog of games that is crazy by many peoples standards. I pay full price for games the day they release, happily. To ignore the millions of people like me is insane, and if they do I will choose the console That best supports my gaming needs.

I gladly support MS because they offers the best console for me. My PS3 gets some action, but nowhere near the time the 360 receives. If Sony comes out with an insane system besting the 720 I will just move over to the dark side. I don't care who gets my money as I don't own stock in either company. I want to play great games and someone will make a system for me.

I love it ! Just cater to me and I will give you my money. In a nutshell, this is where I am. I expect MS to keep rolling next gen, but ultimately I just want more gaming goodness.
post #2613 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
COD isn't casual?

Core and casual don't have to be diametric. I'd reckon COD is about as casual as you can get going by the sales numbers. It's super mainstream, and just about everybody that owns a console has multiple COD titles on their coffee tables.

You might have to play it religiously to get very good on the leaderboards, kdr, ect. But not many people play like that. Most of the people I know that have a system and play COD play because they know their friends will have it, and they can play it as a pickup game between real life without having to invest much into it.

COD's strength has always been it's accessibility and it's appeal to many different groups of gamers. The hardcore are just a one small group of them. You don't create a 3 billion dollar IP from catering to the hardcore...
post #2614 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:

I HUMBLY STAND CORRECTED. You are absolutely right........ps thanks for leaving out Metal Gear, I really didn't think it was all that. MAG though? C'mon......Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper remakes I'd put above that. I wonder if Twisted Metal will be any good.....the first game was so epic, and even though the second game was great it was already becoming cartoony and a bit silly....

I still have my Twisted Metal PS1 in the original black plastic shell case....the only original PS1 game I held onto. just due to its sheer Epicness.

Speaking of hardcore games, MAG was such a game. It was super deep, took a lot of teamwork, and a good platoon with a good leaders would roll noobs or uncoordinated teams. It really was panned because of the time investment and lack of catering to the casuals.

Might not be your bag, but it was an incredible experience gear towards console gamers that wanted a more competitive game on consoles.

I'm pumped for Twisted Metal, lots of work put into MP and to balance it. Gamers need more passionate Dev's like David Jaffe.
post #2615 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

COD isn't casual?

Core and casual don't have to be diametric. I'd reckon COD is about as casual as you can get going by the sales numbers. It's super mainstream, and just about everybody that owns a console has multiple COD titles on their coffee tables.

You might have to play it religiously to get very good on the leaderboards, kdr, ect. But not many people play like that. Most of the people I know that have a system and play COD play because they know their friends will have it, and they can play it as a pickup game between real life without having to invest much into it.

COD's strength has always been it's accessibility and it's appeal to many different groups of gamers. The hardcore are just a one small group of them. You don't create a 3 billion dollar IP from catering to the hardcore...

Cod is not a casual game. Come on now. Its just an extremely successful traditional game. It might have a huge audience but it's not bejeweled.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #2616 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
I loved MAG, my favorite moment was how my squad of 8 was on defence and held off wave after wave of 32 players trying take our front line base. Ours was the only point still standing in the end, everyone else had been pushed back to the final point. Nothing has compared to that feeling in any other fps.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #2617 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Cod is not a casual game. Come on now. Its just an extremely successful traditional game. It might have a huge audience but it's not bejeweled.

This just shows how pointless and meaningless the terms "casual" and "hardcore" are. They were invented by marketing divisions and they seem to have (successfully) taken hold among consumers. We shouldn't let ourselves be so easily duped.

Most CoD players wouldn't call themselves "gamers" and most don't play anything except CoD--which you can tell because the sales numbers far outstrip everything else. It's just people who bought a console for the express purpose of fragging ****'s, ****'s, and ****'s (I'll leave it to you to imagine what those excised words might be). There's nothing especially "traditional" about CoD. It's its own separate ecosystem in the industry, similar to WoW.

Anyhow, there's no way in the world that that would change for the next generation. The whole fear that "casuals" are taking over the industry is just a bunch of paranoid nonsense. Because "casuals" are the industry and always have been. The term "hardcore" was invented by PR companies and marketing divisions to make casual gaming sound more interesting, appealing, and authentic. It's no different from the ubiquitous marketing term of the '90s: "extreme." It's just meaningless marketing jargon.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #2618 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

This just shows how pointless and meaningless the terms "casual" and "hardcore" are. They were invented by marketing divisions and they seem to have (successfully) taken hold among consumers. We shouldn't let ourselves be so easily duped.

Most CoD players wouldn't call themselves "gamers" and most don't play anything except CoD--which you can tell because the sales numbers far outstrip everything else. It's just people who bought a console for the express purpose of fragging ****'s, ****'s, and ****'s (I'll leave it to you to imagine what those excised words might be). There's nothing especially "traditional" about CoD. It's its own separate ecosystem in the industry, similar to WoW.

Anyhow, there's no way in the world that that would change for the next generation. The whole fear that "casuals" are taking over the industry is just a bunch of paranoid nonsense. Because "casuals" are the industry and always have been. The term "hardcore" was invented by PR companies and marketing divisions to make casual gaming sound more interesting, appealing, and authentic. It's no different from the ubiquitous marketing term of the '90s: "extreme." It's just meaningless marketing jargon.

It's not meaningless. Everyone basically knows what a casual and a hardcore game are. Simple descriptive terms. Not everything fits perfectly into neat little descriptive boxes, but there's no need to muddy the waters.

post #2619 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not meaningless. Everyone basically knows what a casual and a hardcore game are. Simple descriptive terms. Not everything fits perfectly into neat little descriptive boxes, but there's no need to muddy the waters.

No, they don't. Multiply the amount of disagreement in this thread by the number of people who play games. There's absolutely no agreement about the difference, if there ever was any to begin with. It's not "muddying the waters." The water is just water (games are games). Genre divisions make some sense, but casual/hardcore divisions don't.

Like I said, it's just marketing groups looking for ways to divide consumer markets into niches so that they can more easily sell certain things to certain groups, like marketing diet soda to men, or marketing iPods to women, or whatever. It's silly and there's no truth to the distinction. It's totally arbitrary.

It creates a stupid "us vs. them" mentality that convinces some people that games need to be preserved from the unwashed masses. So when a new CoD game comes out, or a new Elder Scrolls game gets released, everyone goes crazy and thinks, "Wow. It's about time they released a game for us real gamers, not those dummies who only play Angry Birds!" Not realizing or acknowledging that everyone thinks exactly the same thing. It's like the bogus division between rock and "alternative," or rock and "indie rock," or rap and "underground."

It's all just a bunch of marketing nonsense to make consumers feel like they're part of some exclusive club, when in fact it's a club that includes everyone.

post #2620 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

No, they don't. Multiply the amount of disagreement in this thread by the number of people who play games. There's absolutely no agreement about the difference, if there ever was any to begin with. It's not "muddying the waters." The water is just water (games are games). Genre divisions make some sense, but casual/hardcore divisions don't.

Like I said, it's just marketing groups looking for ways to divide consumer markets into niches so that they can more easily sell certain things to certain groups, like marketing diet soda to men, or marketing iPods to women, or whatever. It's silly and there's no truth to the distinction. It's totally arbitrary.

It creates a stupid "us vs. them" mentality that convinces some people that games need to be preserved from the unwashed masses. So when a new CoD game comes out, or a new Elder Scrolls game gets released, everyone goes crazy and thinks, "Wow. It's about time they released a game for us real gamers, not those dummies who only play Angry Birds!" Not realizing or acknowledging that everyone thinks exactly the same thing. It's like the bogus division between rock and "alternative," or rock and "indie rock," or rap and "underground."

It's all just a bunch of marketing nonsense to make consumers feel like they're part of some exclusive club, when in fact it's a club that includes everyone.

but how else will i feel superior to others and be able to make snide comments ????
post #2621 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:

Who is everyone that you speak of?

The 5.0 is here
post #2622 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Epic Games comments on Xbox 720

Quote:

Speaking to VentureBeat, Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney stated that the company are investing heavily with their engine, as well as game development for the next generation of 'console technology and games':

"With every console transition, people ask if there will be another console transition or another successful console platform. We are betting big that there will be. If you look at games like Call of Duty and Gears of War, it's clear that console is the pinnacle of the gaming experience. so we are investing heavily with our engine and game development efforts for the next generation of console technology and games. But at the same time, we actually see this wonderful thing happening where the mobile platform and web platforms are getting to the point where they can run a AAA game. One consistent game engine technology can run across console, PC, mobile and web games. We're really happy with that position. It lets game developers target lots of different platforms. We have shipped Infinity Blade of iOS. We have announced a new game Fortnite for an entirely different audience, more casual. It appeals to a wider audience than a hardcore game like Gears of War. We are branching out, but we tie it all together with AAA production values."

Furthermore, Sweeney said:

"The longevity of this console generation has been a mixed blessing. On the game side, it's been really great for our business. We have been able to ship three Gears of War games on the same generation of hardware, each one with dramatic improvements over the last and a two to three-year development cycle. So it's been a very good thing for a game business today. With each new title, there is a bigger and bigger Xbox 360 installed base of users, so the games can sell more. On the other hand, it gets harder to generate the same excitement from the same hardware. That is when the new hardware is justified. But then you reset the installed base to zero and it's a lot harder to sell a lot of games again. So you should only replace the hardware when you can make a dramatic leap in quality, not just 2X or 3X. It has to be huge and fundamentally new.

If you create awesome technology for the wrong platform, then nobody will ever adopt it. Epic in general has always tried to be really savvy on the business side. We look at the business models and changing trends and try to stay on top of them. If you look at Epic, we began as a shareware game company in the 1990s making really tiny games. Then we pulled together into one huge team and created the first Unreal game. At that point, we needed to build a huge game to compete with the likes of id Software. We changed our company dramatically to do that. Around 2004, we decided the game industry's sweet spot was moving to consoles. So we made the transition from a PC game company to a console game company with Gears of War. Now we see new changes afoot with the move to mobile and web gaming with Adobe Flash. So we put together business relationships with Apple and Adobe and other folks to do what we need for the future."

http://www.msxbox-world.com/news/art...-xbox-720.html

The 5.0 is here
post #2623 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Who is everyone that you speak of?

If you can tell the diff between a boot and a slipper without going on about how it's all just footwear divided by marketing, then welcome to the club.

post #2624 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you can tell the diff between a boot and a slipper without going on about how it's all just footwear divided by marketing, then welcome to the club.

Analogies can mean whatever you want them to. I could also say something like: there are two pairs of black boots. Put one pair in a pink box and say they're for girls; put another pair in a blue box and say they're for boys. They're still just boots. There's an analogy for every occasion and every viewpoint.

Not to mention, I think we're on the same team here. If your big fear is that the next MS console is going to be all Kinect Sports and Just Dance, you have nothing to worry about. Good game developers aren't worried about the artificial divide between "casual" and "hardcore." Nor should we be worried. They just want to make games that people play and enjoy. That's it. Soccer is one of the most "accessible" and popular games in history; does that make it not "hardcore"? It's a very well designed game with some incredibly simple rules and equipment.

A good game is a good game is a good game... whether it's in a blue box or a pink one.

post #2625 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:

All Sony needs to win me back is to produce a system that isn't the same as every other system out there. The PS3's ultimate fail was that it didn't do anything better than the 360 (EDIT: Game wise and yes we can debate this) Even GT5 is hardly much better than Forza.....and THAT is saying something. (again, debatable)

Devil in the Details? Forza/GT5 Sure...better models in one, better physics in the other, more interior cockpits in one, better exterior lighting in another....its all a series of tradeoffs....there is no best one.....some people just want the absolute most detailed models you can get, they don't care if you are racing on the track from OUTRUN......they want to see the car...others aren't like that, so its all about what you want.

To me at least, I prefer Forza because GT5 is turning into too much Car Porn for me......the washing, the oil changing....hell i don't do that crap myself in real life, i don't want to do it virtually!

The PS2, Xbox and Gamecube were all very different systems......I do long for some differentiation...these days you know the PS3 version or the 360 version come down to exactly two things: Which controller your prefer and if you pay for LIVE or not.

Washing and oil changes?!?!?! WTF?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2626 of 7006 Old 01-29-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Washing and oil changes?!?!?! WTF?

I just chalk it up to a bizarre Japanese thing. I wish there was a way to combine the best of both games. Both games feel heartbreakingly lacking to me. I want the weight physics of GT5 combined with the tire physics of Forza 4. I want the car models of GT5 combined with the customization features of Forza 4. I want the regularly updated online events of GT5 combined with the ease-of-online-access in Forza 4. I want the excruciating precision of GT5's trophy challenges combined with the forgiving sense of progression in Forza 4. Somewhere in those two games is the ideal console sim racer. But neither has reached that point yet.

post #2627 of 7006 Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

MICROSOFT WILL NOT BE RELEASING A NEW CONSOLE THIS YEAR.
According to marketing director of Microsoft France.

Quote:
What is with the French today? First we get Playstation France CEO, Philippe Cardone, stating that he believes the next Sony console will be the last next gen console announced and now this. Marketing director of Microsoft France, Cedrick Delmas, saying there is no new MS console this year.

It’s bizarre, this is the first time I’ve seen companies insisting that they’re behind on the competition. Reminds me of two people wanting the last piece of cake at a party; each vainly trying to be generous and allow the other to take it when deep down they want that cake so badly it hurts.

This is according to French site; Le Point. When asked to comment on the rumours of a new MS console Mr Cardone stated;

"[The] cycle of the Xbox 360 is by no means complete…What is certain is that there will be nothing new in 2012…"

Going on to further talk about Microsoft’s relation to Nintendo and their new console the Wii U;

"We are not here to deal with Nintendo and they are not there to fight against other manufacturers. Nintendo has placed itself in a different cycle, they advance at their own pace, successfully as we have seen with the Wii, and now it is their turn to present their innovation,"

So is it possible that neither company will announce anything this year or is it all smoke and mirrors?

Seems to be inline with what I was thinking.

http://meodia.com/news/1701/microsof...ole-this-year/

The 5.0 is here
post #2628 of 7006 Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 PM

MS will be targeting Fall/Xmas 2013 and Sony Xmas/Fall 2014; unforeseeable issues notwithstanding. Pretty much what everyone with a realistic view has believed for a while.
post #2629 of 7006 Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

MS will be targeting Fall/Xmas 2013 and Sony Xmas/Fall 2014; unforeseeable issues notwithstanding. Pretty much what everyone with a realistic view has believed for a while.

Based on the price drops for the 360 this year and what they have left I still believe 2014 for MS.

The 5.0 is here
post #2630 of 7006 Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Yeah, unless Sony moves the PS4 up to 2013, Microsoft will also release in 2014 with them. They're just making way too much money now and sales are still fabulous with both hardware and software.

Plus, a 2014 release could coincide with a Halo 5 release. With Halo 4 releasing this year on the 360, I can't imagine them having the next Xbox going a whole year without a Halo-defining game. Dev kits were released really late with the 360 because they sped up the developmental timeline to get the 360 out before the PS3 and thus Halo 3 was really late.

I still think the only pressure for Microsoft to go to 2013 is if PS4 goes to 2013. And considering that first tape out of the new Xbox chips just occurred recently, I can't imagine that they'd rush for 2013 release.

Microsoft and Sony are making enough money to want to slow things down.
post #2631 of 7006 Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Microsoft and Sony are making enough money to want to slow things down.

Honestly, I think these two consoles could keep chugging away for another 4-5 years. The bottleneck will be third-party publishers. At some point within the next year or two, they're going to start seeing diminishing returns on their yearly franchises. I also haven't seen a lot of really exciting new announcements from dev studios after the holiday chaos, so I'm assuming that means that everyone's starting to shift over to next gen development.

We'll know for sure where the industry stands come this year's E3. Either we'll get another round of current gen development from third parties, or there will be a lot of vague hints about their "next project."

post #2632 of 7006 Old 01-31-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

Honestly, I think these two consoles could keep chugging away for another 4-5 years.We'll know for sure where the industry stands come this year's E3. Either we'll get another round of current gen development from third parties, or there will be a lot of vague hints about their "next project."

I agree with this POV. Even though I still think fall 2014 is the actual launch year. I do think they will do extensive Beta testing with a select group of "hardcore" XBox 360 users in 2012-2013. So as not to repeat the RROD debacle. But highly unlikely we'll see a full scale market rollout IMO. Nor do I think we will hear much about it at E3 from MS or Sony. I believe they'll wait and let Nintendo and Apple fully expose their hands.

There is still a lot more they can do with XBox 360. Especially in the licensing area. For example. They can expand their agreements with IP hosts like Verizon, Dish, DirecTV and XFinity, et al to include XBox 360 modular hardware addons (for cable rentals). Meaning...they can license them to imbed a stripped down XBox 360 module into their set top boxes (akin to the modular broadcast HDTV digital plugins in the Dish VIP unit). Then sell cheap...small outboard XBox 360 Blu-Ray or DVD standalones to link and flow X360 disc games or stream games from the Cloud or XBoxLive through the licensed cable box. The latter model would be subject to the prenegotiated profit split. The XBoxLive module would just show up as a big Green X button on the front of the Cable Box. That arrangement could allow the XBox team to move boldly on into the future with NexGen console in 2014 or beyond. Their XBox 360 base woud be maintained through a viable XBox 360 Licensed hub and their XBox 360-S product line which would now include a new slimm downed DVD add on for the cable box. They could even make a new Blu-Ray/Laser addon and modular replacement for NexGen to couple with the IP Hosts.

Bottom line...to your point...there is still a lot of commercial and consumer potential out there for the XBox 360...which can transition easily to NexGen. For all of the users/members of XBox Connect on this thread...I suggest you keep your eyes peeled for a coded beta test offer sometime in 2012 and 2013 from the NexGen group, if you want early exposure to the console.
post #2633 of 7006 Old 01-31-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Funny how things are shifting towards my position everyday...

You won't hear anything official about NexBox this year. E3 will be all about Kinect.

You will probably start hearing some stuff coming out at next year's Computer Game Developer's Conference. And there will be a formal launch (for dev's) at Microsoft's own game conference later in that year.

That is when you will get a better idea on whether or not it will be 2014 or 2015.
post #2634 of 7006 Old 01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I agree with this POV. Even though I still think fall 2014 is the actual launch year. I do think they will do extensive Beta testing with a select group of "hardcore" XBox 360 users in 2012-2013. So as not to repeat the RROD debacle. But highly unlikely we'll see a full scale market rollout IMO. Nor do I think we will hear much about it at E3 from MS or Sony. I believe they'll wait and let Nintendo and Apple fully expose their hands.

There is still a lot more they can do with XBox 360. Especially in the licensing area. For example. They can expand their agreements with IP hosts like Verizon, Dish, DirecTV and XFinity, et al to include XBox 360 modular hardware addons (for cable rentals). Meaning...they can license them to imbed a stripped down XBox 360 module into their set top boxes (akin to the modular broadcast HDTV digital plugins in the Dish VIP unit). Then sell cheap...small outboard XBox 360 Blu-Ray or DVD standalones to link and flow X360 disc games or stream games from the Cloud or XBoxLive through the licensed cable box. The latter model would be subject to the prenegotiated profit split. The XBoxLive module would just show up as a big Green X button on the front of the Cable Box. That arrangement could allow the XBox team to move boldly on into the future with NexGen console in 2014 or beyond. Their XBox 360 base woud be maintained through a viable XBox 360 Licensed hub and their XBox 360-S product line which would now include a new slimm downed DVD add on for the cable box. They could even make a new Blu-Ray/Laser addon and modular replacement for NexGen to couple with the IP Hosts.

Bottom line...to your point...there is still a lot of commercial and consumer potential out there for the XBox 360...which can transition easily to NexGen. For all of the users/members of XBox Connect on this thread...I suggest you keep your eyes peeled for a coded beta test offer sometime in 2012 and 2013 from the NexGen group, if you want early exposure to the console.

No offense, but I don't think there is even a slim chance that any of this will happen (beta to select users or 360 integration in set top boxes).

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #2635 of 7006 Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

No offense, but I don't think there is even a slim chance that any of this will happen (beta to select users or 360 integration in set top boxes).

No offense taken. But I wasn't talking about a Beta test on the XBox 360 in set top boxes. I was talking about end user Beta testing of Nex Gen XBox. And that has a 100% chance of happening. No way will MS just dump a new console on the market without extensive end user testing with Devs, users, commercial partners and etc. Especially after their money losing headaches with the XBox 360. What I was suggesting, is that XBox "Connect" is much more likely a target for some of their focus group pool than anywhere else in the public domain. And a lot of people on this thread thirst for exposure to NexGen in 2012-2013. Their odds are much higher of joining & being accepted into the select testing group from that direction versus seeing something happen at retail. As long as they can keep their yaps shut about it.

This is how MS does things:
http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ut-for-testing
post #2636 of 7006 Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
External "beta" testing is not happening.

The confidentiality needs override testing needs. They know what caused the heating fiasco, they already have tests for that. Short term beta testing is not necessarily going to find those problems anyway.

NexBox will be under heavy secrecy until it is formally unveiled. Even after that, they are not going to go out to general public testers, there are too many leaks. Xbox team is the most confidentiality-sensitive team at Microsoft. The thought of public beta is laughable.
post #2637 of 7006 Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:

Honestly, I think these two consoles could keep chugging away for another 4-5 years. The bottleneck will be third-party publishers. At some point within the next year or two, they're going to start seeing diminishing returns on their yearly franchises.

I think every generation has new franchises that develop, replacing stalwarts of the previous gen.

Look how some biggies of the Xbox1/PS2 era have faded. Splinter Cell. Ghost Recon. Burnout. DDR. NBA Live. SSX. Rainbow Six. Tomb Raider. Worms.

Look at the new franchises that spawned this generation. Gears of War. Assassin's Creed. Modern Warfare. Uncharted.
post #2638 of 7006 Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I think every generation has new franchises that develop, replacing stalwarts of the previous gen.

Look how some biggies of the Xbox1/PS2 era have faded. Splinter Cell. Ghost Recon. Burnout. DDR. NBA Live. SSX. Rainbow Six. Tomb Raider. Worms.

Look at the new franchises that spawned this generation. Gears of War. Assassin's Creed. Modern Warfare. Uncharted.

Plenty of franchises are ready to be put to pasture. Not to mention that launch games seem to create followings far in excess of their actual quality (resistance, halo).

post #2639 of 7006 Old 01-31-2012, 04:12 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:

Plenty of franchises are ready to be put to pasture. Not to mention that launch games seem to create followings far in excess of their actual quality (resistance, halo).

Amen to that!
post #2640 of 7006 Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Its been said before but....sorry folks.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...rosoft-france/

NO NEW XBOX IN 2012.....

Honestly, I'm 100% satisfied with the "current-next gen." console.
Closed Thread Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page