AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Microsoft fires the first shot in the "NEXT" generation....

255K views 7K replies 284 participants last post by  AVS Forum Notice 
#1 ·
 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/mi...-next-gen-xbox

With the "leaking" of this information, it's basically the first shot fired in the next console war. Sure, all this info is revealing is that they are hiring a few people to work on the next console, which kinda insinuates that it's really far away from release (can you say November 2013?). Still, this is the first, legit, tidbit of information about a next-gen system from any of the big 3. Microsoft had to know that by putting this information out there, the word will get out that a new console isn't too far away. They have to know that the early adopter types that bought a 360 in 2005 and a PS3 in 2006 are starting to get antsy.

#2 ·
Cue DLJ to come and tell us why this thread is meaningless.

#3 ·
Well reality is they are developing the next console. I would think 2013 at the latest is when we will be able to buy one. I can't wait for the leaks of information about the processor, GPU, and any other tidbit that gives clues to the machine they are creating.

Every gen someone says "We don't need new consoles". Well when I throw an Xbox or PS2 game in I have a hard time going back to those graphics. I am ready for a new console now and cannot wait until they go on sale!

#4 ·
"Cue DLJ to come and tell us why this thread is meaningless"

Compared to the endless "theer's a job poosting for teh Haloz and Diabloz. LOL!!1" threads? This thread is groundbreaking. A bit slow on the uptake as this is all yesterday's news, but still a refreshing change of pace from the regular dreg.

Still though, it's just a job posting for a nebulous console to be released at "some time". What are you going to talk about now? Specs? Yeah, that's not masturbation.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/20120997

Cue DLJ to come and tell us why this thread is meaningless.

I love this place

Jets!Jets!Jets! Mets!Mets!Mets!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/20121009

Well reality is they are developing the next console. I would think 2013 at the latest is when we will be able to buy one. I can't wait for the leaks of information about the processor, GPU, and any other tidbit that gives clues to the machine they are creating.

Every gen someone says "We don't need new consoles". Well when I throw an Xbox or PS2 game in I have a hard time going back to those graphics. I am ready for a new console now and cannot wait until they go on sale!

I say 2013 at the earliest with 2014 being the likely target. No way you see a new xbox in 2012. There would already be information leaked about the specs if it were that far along. As it stands, we have heard nothing. There is also the fact that the 360 is still very successful. It's in the best interest of the players, the publishers/developers and MS if they can release in 2014. That assures MS that issuing a feature packed console is viable based on a long (7-10 year) console generation. Things like RAM, Hard Drive space, and video cards included in the system will be affected by how long Microsoft thinks they can ride the new console. It also helps the game developers maximize profit from this current generation and be better positioned to make the jump to developing for the next gen system. Lastly, MS does not want to jump the gun vs Sony. They may want to release first, but they don't want to pull a Dreamcast and release at the wrong time.

#10 ·
I agree with Antiochus. No way you'll see a new console in 2012 and 2013 will be pushing it. Developers usually get their dev kits 12 to 18 months in advance of launch and this thing likely doesn't even have a hardware design yet. Still fun to speculate though.

I like the tweet on G4 that I saw saying that since this is the next increment of the xbox it should be called the xcrement

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz /forum/post/20121428

I love this place

Jets!Jets!Jets! Mets!Mets!Mets!

haha... that takes me wayyyyyy back..... wonder if talbain is still around.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus /forum/post/20121663

I say 2013 at the earliest with 2014 being the likely target. No way you see a new xbox in 2012. There would already be information leaked about the specs if it were that far along. As it stands, we have heard nothing. There is also the fact that the 360 is still very successful. It's in the best interest of the players, the publishers/developers and MS if they can release in 2014. That assures MS that issuing a feature packed console is viable based on a long (7-10 year) console generation. Things like RAM, Hard Drive space, and video cards included in the system will be affected by how long Microsoft thinks they can ride the new console. It also helps the game developers maximize profit from this current generation and be better positioned to make the jump to developing for the next gen system. Lastly, MS does not want to jump the gun vs Sony. They may want to release first, but they don't want to pull a Dreamcast and release at the wrong time.

The biggest problem the Dreamcast had was no EA support. Unfortunately a lot of people must buy Madden every single year (even though 2K was better).

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/20122713

The biggest problem the Dreamcast had was no EA support. Unfortunately a lot of people must buy Madden every single year (even though 2K was better).

I used to say that, and while its true that EA support means alot to fans who absolute must play EA sports games. The 2K "alternative" games that came from the Dreamcast console became some of the best sports games in console history.

Looking back on things, I have to put some of the blame on Sega. It seemed like they just rolled over and quit once the PS2 hit the market. As if dropping the Dreamcast console was bad enough.. whatever happened to them making great games. They just withered away. Even now.. where are all the popular Dreamcast games on Xbox Live Marketplace? Theres tons of money to be made on XBL, PSN and the cellphone App stores. Seems like Sega just doesnt give a fcuk.

FWIW I do believe Crazy Taxi is available.. but some genius decided to change the music. The music one of the main reasons to play the game and one of the main reasons to remember it.

#14 ·
And I'd bet money holiday season 2013 is when we will see a new Xbox. As others said.. dev's get their kits 12-18 months away. That would mean sometime around late summer of this year.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/20123304

I used to say that, and while its true that EA support means alot to fans who absolute must play EA sports games. The 2K "alternative" games that came from the Dreamcast console became some of the best sports games in console history.

Looking back on things, I have to put some of the blame on Sega. It seemed like they just rolled over and quit once the PS2 hit the market. As if dropping the Dreamcast console was bad enough.. whatever happened to them making great games. They just withered away. Even now.. where are all the popular Dreamcast games on Xbox Live Marketplace? Theres tons of money to be made on XBL, PSN and the cellphone App stores. Seems like Sega just doesnt give a fcuk.

FWIW I do believe Crazy Taxi is available.. but some genius decided to change the music. The music one of the main reasons to play the game and one of the main reasons to remember it.

Lack of EA support played a role in the failing of the DC no doubt. Price was a problem, it was over $300 at launch. Also I think they relied to much on "exclusive games" (I think Sony is sometimes guilty of this with the PS3). Sega also never understood marketing. The Sega Master System was also a great console but sales were poor. Saturn was a disaster in the US. But the major reason it failed was piracy. Those games could be bootlegged and Sega could not stop it and game developers were pissed. I know that did not effect sales of consoles but it effected developer support and its own "exclusive" titles.

#16 ·

Quote:

Looking back on things, I have to put some of the blame on Sega. It seemed like they just rolled over and quit once the PS2 hit the market.

Financially, they had to pull the plug. They put all their eggs into one basket and sales during 2000 just weren't enough to financially keep the system going. They had to reach a certain point of sales and sadly, they didn't.

Quote:

As if dropping the Dreamcast console was bad enough.. whatever happened to them making great games. They just withered away.

I've played more great Sega releases since the Dreamcast died than I did on the Dreamcast. And several popular games aren't on my list, like the Virtua Tennis sequels, the Sonic Advance series on the GBA and the Sonic Rush games on the DS, Sonic 4, and Jet Set Radio Future or whatever it was called.

Things like Outrun 2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta surpassed pretty much all the 1st party games I played on the Dreamcast, like Sonic Adventure. And they've released lots of well done compilations since then as well (Compared to the horrible Sega Smash Pack on the Dreamcast).

My favorite Dreamcast memories were with 2nd party releases like Metropolis Street Racer (I believe Sega published it, at least) and many 3rd party classics. They released 10 or so Dreamcast games I really liked, but I've probably loved at least 25 of their releases since.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan /forum/post/20123317

And I'd bet money holiday season 2013 is when we will see a new Xbox. As others said.. dev's get their kits 12-18 months away. That would mean sometime around late summer of this year.

You mean late summer 2012. The console isn't coming out till late November 2013, so that means that if the developers get the dev kits by late summer 2012, everything will be on schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime /forum/post/20121261

so how many threads is this now, anthony? i think you've broken 10 threads across both the xbox, playstation, and htpc gaming forums about a new console.

Actually, I did a post in the PS3 section that got moved to the htpc section. The reason I didn't originally put it into the htpc section, is because that would simply be preaching to the choir. This post specifically relates to the next-gen Xbox, so obviously it belongs in the Xbox section. I wish there was a "General Gaming Discussion" section, so that everything didn't have to be so compartmentalized, but apparently, there is a fear of too much fanboyism and flame wars. It's sad really, considering the majority of people on AVS are in their late 20's, or 30's or 40's. I don't think we have that many 12 year old fanboys bouncing around our forums, so I'm not sure why there is so much fear about it.

#19 ·
will be interesting to see what hardware they will select. i think staying with power architecture would be easiest transition. power7 is up to 8 cores as of now. I imagine they would want to start with "valhalla" chip out the gate.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/20120992

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/mi...-next-gen-xbox

With the "leaking" of this information, it's basically the first shot fired in the next console war. Sure, all this info is revealing is that they are hiring a few people to work on the next console, which kinda insinuates that it's really far away from release (can you say November 2013?). Still, this is the first, legit, tidbit of information about a next-gen system from any of the big 3. Microsoft had to know that by putting this information out there, the word will get out that a new console isn't too far away. They have to know that the early adopter types that bought a 360 in 2005 and a PS3 in 2006 are starting to get antsy.

SO WHAT? I like the Xbox 360, its not time to move on yet.....

If Sony could get 8+ goood years out of the PS2, Microsoft could do better....

#21 ·
The biggest problem that the DreamCast had was that it was so easily hacked via software that there were 10 year olds running around making backup copies of the games. It's still a good console, and my kids still play it to this day. I wish it was HD, but otherwise the games still look pretty good.

#22 ·
The other issue with Dreamcast was consumer confidence had eroded bigtime by then with all the consoles they were putting out. Between 1992 and 1999, Sega released:

Sega CD

Sega 32x

Sega Saturn

Sega Dreamcast

All of which, prior to the Dreamcast had very short lifespans and by the time Dreamcast launched, people were on the Playstation bandwagon and rest is history.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove /forum/post/20127553

SO WHAT? I like the Xbox 360, its not time to move on yet.....

You wouldn't HAVE to move on. If they released a new console this year, it wouldn't change the fact that MS is going to support the 360 for a few more years. With 50 million people owning the 360 now, they will be sure to milk it for a few more years as adoption of the new console will be slow. Do you really think you won't be getting the newest COD, Battlefield, or other major 3rd party game on the 360 once the new console hits? If anything you may get a new game discount if the new console keeps games at $60 each. The 360/PS3 games would start at $50 which would be awesome.

They completely abandoned Xbox 1 because they were still losing money on making the console and sales had slowed. They wanted to put all of their in house development teams on the 360 to try to convert PS2 people. They must have done something right as sales of the 360 are double the Xbox. The PS2 has some of its best games release after the PS3 came out.

I would also think that Kinect sales will start to slow. They just announced 10 million sold, and I would imagine they had initial hopes of 30% of the installed base would own one. It is already very successful for an add-on and if they hit 20 million I would be surprised (40%).

A new console generation does not mean that the 360 and PS3 are done the second they launch the new machines. Oh and it was 6 years from PS2 launch to PS3 launch.

#24 ·
I think I will be easing into the next generation. With the way my life and priorities are nowadays, I can easily wait a couple of years for the libraries of both the xbox 720 and PS4 to mature( and console price drops) before I dip in. As it is, I still have a ton of backlog going back to last gen to keep me well occupied over the few few years.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove /forum/post/20127553

Xbox 360 was launched in late November 2005

Xbox 720 will be launched in late November 2013

If you do the math, that is 8 years. Also, like has already been mentioned, it's not like the day the 720 comes out, all 360's in existence will self-destruct. By November 2013, the Xbox 360 will be $99, and should still be selling quite well in 3rd world countries. Games will continue to come out for it. No need to panic.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw /forum/post/20128976

I think I will be easing into the next generation. With the way my life and priorities are nowadays, I can easily wait a couple of years for the libraries of both the xbox 720 and PS4 to mature( and console price drops) before I dip in. As it is, I still have a ton of backlog going back to last gen to keep me well occupied over the few few years.

Totally agree. I really don't see a new console until 2013-2014 at the earliest. MS seems to just now be finally making money after the RRoD fiasco. I can't seem them wanting to rush into another debacle. Besides it gives me time to save up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.