AT&T to cap Uverse usage - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 103 Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hmmm...your view of Niagra Falls is better than ours tho...so you've got that....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Netflix canada offering quality options for data capped peeps.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/n...ettings-for-c/

So it's 2.3gb per hr for HD. Good to know.
post #93 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Condescending posts removed. Discuss the definition of a recession somewhere else, please.

Sorry, I should have known better that to bring it up.
post #94 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

So I burned up about 12gb or so burning through the Spartacus prequel this past Sunday....nice!

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #95 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 60
I was curious after seeing this post and checked my Comcast account. I found out that Comcast caps usage too, at least here in the ATL area. It says they cap it at 250gb a month and they show your usage to date. I was surprised at my historicak usage. My wife and I often work from home via VPN over the Comcast line and my home PCs, XBOX, BR player, etc. are running stuff all the time yet I've never gone over 50 Gbs a month. I was convinced I was at least 100Gb, huh.

Anyway, not overtly concerned yet but I was still annoyed to see Comcast do this also. I hate to say it but I think this will get worse every year as all of these providers start reducing usage caps to save money. Maybe the only saving grace will be LTE coverage and plans that challenge the home providers and force them to reduce costs or increase coverage to compete.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #96 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast got in trouble a few years ago because they began to harass and boot-off what Comcast considered "overly high usage" users. You'd get a warning phone call where they'd tell you "you used too much bandwidth" and then be told not to "use too much bandwidth again or you'd be kicked off the system for a year".

When users asked "What is acceptable bandwidth?" their answer was "Less than what you used" and that was about the only answer you could get. Naturally users would freak out, be afraid to do anything, etc....this began to happen to more and more users, around the time when users began to complain about traffic-shaping that Comcast started doing (throttling p2p transfers, etc).

Ultimately, Comcast were forced to come up with a number for a 'cap'....250gb a month for home users of any speed tier was the number and, frankly, it was fairly generous, considering at the time other cable providers were talking about caps of 10-20gb per month for lower speed accounts or 40gb for "high speed' accounts....but those I think disappeared when people revolted and realized if you even streamed a few movies from netflix, or downloaded a few things (legal or otherwise) you'd hit your cap, and the overage charges were either insanely priced or you'd get booted from the system (supposedly, as I said I dont think this lasted long).

Supposedly today with Comcast if you go over 250gb historically, if its not a lot they wont lecture you...if it is, you run the risk of getting the "phone call"....although now I am told they suggest you move up to the BUSINESS class tiers, which do not (currently) have any cap.

Although...it has been said...if you are doing multiple terabytes in a month, you'll get booted off business class and told to pay for your own enterprise-class line ($$$$) instead.

post #97 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
As of a couple months ago, I asked a Comcast rep what would happen if I hit my cap. They said a warning the first time and the second time, you were booted.
post #98 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, although who gets called can be a roll of the dice......sometimes people consistently go over with no phone call, other times people go just a bit over and get hand-slapped. Over on DSLReports forums you can read about enforcement being all over the place.

post #99 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been watching about 2 hours worth of video on Netflix a night the past month or so and I went and checked my usage, according to Comcast's own tracker it has barely made a dent. I'm at 24gb for the month. Very interesting.
post #100 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Must not be high def if your usage is that low.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #101 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Thats why I was puzzled on my own usage. 90% of what I watch on Netflix Instant is hi-def (kids shows for the family and movies). Yet my usage wasn't nearly as high as I expected. Very odd. Not complaining, just odd.

Anyway, I expect Netflix/Mosft/Sony/etc. to lobby like crazy to make these caps either huge or illegal. If people are afraid to download a HD film because of the size and it cuts into their revenue I can see them going to Congress to take on the telecoms.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #102 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Probably not, this month I watched the first season of 24 on Netflix OD which was before Fox went HD, also most of The Event off Comcast's online service, some other NBC on demand shows, some Deadliest Warrior, a WWE movie... also most viewing was on my netbook which isn't even HD res I don't think.
post #103 of 103 Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Yeah. My wife burned up 35GB one weekend watching movies on netflix. It can be a real bandwidth hog.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page