Ubisoft annouces Rocksmith a new guitar based music game utilizing a real guitar - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #331 of 425 Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

From their facebook page:

I'm not excited.

Agreed, I'd really love to get some Dire Straits especially Sultans of Sway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 425 Old 02-01-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Just a 12mb patch? Oh well better than nothing I guess...
post #333 of 425 Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:

From their facebook page:

I'm not excited.

My excitement level would depend on what Pearl Jam they're talking about, which is not mentioned. I'd love to see "Evenflow", "Daughter" and "Better Man".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

Agreed, I'd really love to get some Dire Straits especially Sultans of Sway.

"Sultans of Swing"--I'd like to see that too.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #334 of 425 Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So does this patch fix the DLC and events bug? The patch notes on facebook don't mention it.
post #335 of 425 Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

My excitement level would depend on what Pearl Jam they're talking about, which is not mentioned. I'd love to see "Evenflow", "Daughter" and "Better Man".

"Sultans of Swing"--I'd like to see that too.

Love sultans of swing. I'd like to see pearl jam's yellow ledbetter more than any of there other songs. That song to me, has the most memorable guitar parts of any of their songs.

Also, I tested out the dlc glitch on my lunch break and it has been fixed!!! No more resetting of events after you save and come back.

Other good thing I noticed is that in the lever, let's say you get to 92% and have 15 lives left, you can quit and it still saves your progress to 92% (even though the dialog box says you will lose unsaved progress). Before the patch, if you quit before you ran out of lives it lost your progress.

Does anyone else think the event menu screen sped up a little (the one that you go to everytime where it shows your rank and stuff)? Seems like they sped it up a bit to keep it from being so annoying.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #336 of 425 Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Also, I tested out the dlc glitch on my lunch break and it has been fixed!!! No more resetting of events after you save and come back.

Excellent, thanks!
post #337 of 425 Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I'd like to see pearl jam's yellow ledbetter more than any of there other songs. That song to me, has the most memorable guitar parts of any of their songs.

I'll concede that. It didn't cross my mind. I can't remember the context, but I recently saw a reference to the following hilarious clip posted :

post #338 of 425 Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'll concede that. It didn't cross my mind. I can't remember the context, but I recently saw a reference to the following hilarious clip posted :

Thanks for the reality check lol... never owned it or dl'd or bothered to google it at all. After all these years
post #339 of 425 Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I never tried the riff-repeater before last night, but 5 lives would've been pretty useless.

I was doing the leveler to learn Don't Fear the Reaper and it was pretty nice. Got the main riff down and the pre-chorus and solo1. Gotta work on the other solos still, but this is pretty nice. DFtR is too fast to sight-read, at least for me, so I have to actually learn the song and play along with the game. Which is exactly what I want from this "game".

I'm still trying to get the volume settings in so that I can hear the music to follow it and still hear myself playing through the speakers. The menu structure completely sucks for that type of thing.
post #340 of 425 Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
I've been thinking about getting this game. I played a little guitar long ago, but other than my Fender Strat Rock Band guitar haven't picked one up in a long time. I'm not sure the quality of the bundled guitar will make me happy. Been looking at possibly a Mexican Stratocaster. What kind of quitars are you guys using? Pro's and Con's

Xbox Live ID Slick Tide 1

PS3 ID SlickTide1
post #341 of 425 Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a RB3 Squier controller and started to have it worked on for this game (intonation set, replacement of the tuning machines with more stable ones), but eventually decided that it would be throwing good money after bad. I bought a guitar that's a bit better than the pack-in, the Epiphone LP Special II, which cost me $170 at the time, but which now seems to be widely available online for $145. Though I'm happy enough with the LP Special II, if I had it to do over, I'd probably go for the Epi SG Special, because the latest iteration of that has a pickguard. I went with an LP form because I'm a bit tired of the Strat.

A Mexican Strat would be fine, certainly overkill for this game. It'll run you about $500 new, probably $300 for a used one in good shape, decidedly more than I was interested in investing at this point.

All the game needs is an instrument with reasonably well set intonation which can hold a tune (it will actually accept imprecise tuning, probably 10 cents or better of in either direction). One strike against using the RB3 Squier is that the little divisions between fret sensors make it difficult to smoothly perform bends.

post #342 of 425 Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I use both a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Washburn HB35. The Gibson plays great, but I play standing up, and when I play for over an hour my shoulder is screaming for mercy because it's heavy.

The Washburn is a semi-hollow body (basically a replica of the gibson 335) and is of course much lighter. Doesn't play quite as good and if you are playing with the volume low (yeah right) you can hear your guitar more than you can the sound coming from the tv. Semi-hollow's are not as loud as an acoustic when unplugged, but much louder than a solid body.

post #343 of 425 Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smacky View Post

I've been thinking about getting this game. I played a little guitar long ago, but other than my Fender Strat Rock Band guitar haven't picked one up in a long time. I'm not sure the quality of the bundled guitar will make me happy. Been looking at possibly a Mexican Stratocaster. What kind of quitars are you guys using? Pro's and Con's

If you can, go to BB and try it out Guitar Center has it set up with the bundled guitar. If you like the game but not the guitar grab an axe off the wall and see if you want to invest in a better tool. I look at it this way if your going to spend money on a guitar, it will be with you for the rest of your life if you get a good one. You will only get better with practice. RS is a good incentive to get back into it.

I was in the same boat as you but decided to get a good guitar. I always wanted an electric but never really perused it until RS came out. I was looking at the bundled package and thought about the quality for the most part. I looked at the Gibsons and Epi's and decided on the MIM Strat for these reasons.

1) Sound: Pretty good pickups for an MIM Strat and can easily be upgraded pretty cheap. Tone blocks, Base plates etc
2) Action & Fit: Medium jumbo frets with good steel, well cut nut, neck is on straight.
3) Reliable & Durable: Decent chrome tuners, little to break or fall off.
4) This is a budget priced guitar, but it's not cheaply made in any way it's not an American Deluxe but the MIM's have more to offer than Some American Strats made today.
5) Every player needs a Tele, Strat, then all the others.
6) Bought at WLA Music otd new for 350.00, came with a bag, tuner, picks, and a cord.
7) It cost 350.00. Guitar Center and all the others were 100.00 more. If you don't like it you can always get back what you paid for it at that price.

Ask for Kurt tell him Gary Tanji referred you: 310-477-1945 see what he might be able to do for you. I bought all of my Acoustics from there 12 years ago and to this day they still have the better deals.
post #344 of 425 Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 547
here's info from the official press release on the game update (a hefty one at 12 MB):

This patch will include the following:

1. The user is now able to select 'Songs' from the Post Play screen
  • In single player, this allows the user to go straight to the song list, rather than Rocksmith Recommends.
  • In multiplayer, this allows them to select a new song without having to re-calibrate their guitars each time

2. A fix has been entered to disqualify any Guitarcade Game score that was received through exploitation of the Pause Button. A warning message appears on the Pause Screen informing the user that pausing the game again will disqualify their score from the leaderboards

3. The amount of lives that the user has in Riff Repeater has been increased to 30 when selected from Event Manager or Song selection

4. The user is now able to invoke the precision tuner before quick-tuning in any song or event, excluding multiplayer

5. The user is now able to select their own "Phrase Mastery" level in the Pause Menu of Riff Repeater activities. Completing the phrase on the set level carries that progress into the full song, unless the new phrase level is LOWER than what has actually been achieved naturally

6. The user can now start new songs at a HIGHER phrase level if they are good enough (Level 7 as opposed to Level 5), and they can also level up high-level phrases with fewer correct repetitions

7. When the user sets Phrase levels to Highest in the Options menu, the game will return their base difficulty level for new songs to their higher phrase level.

8. A fix has been implemented so that the "Satisfaction" Single Note arrangement can be unlocked for Master Mode

9. A fix has been implemented so that the "Do You Remember" Chord arrangement can be unlocked for Master Mode

10. Lag Correction will be a new feature in the Options menu to adjust the difference between sound and how fast notes appear

11. General stability improvements to fix crashes

Rocksmith is the first and only video game that allows players to plug in any real guitar into an Xbox 360®, PlayStation®3 to play a sizeable library of songs from the latest hits to classic rock songs. Rocksmith adapts to the player's skill level from novices who have never picked up a guitar to the most experienced shredder.

For more information on Rocksmith, please follow the game on Facebook at www.facebook.com/rocksmithgame, or visit www.rocksmith.com.
post #345 of 425 Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
"Jeremy" Pearl Jam 1991 n/a Feb. 7, 2012
"Black" Pearl Jam 1991 n/a Feb. 7, 2012

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #346 of 425 Old 02-08-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone else completely freak out when they see that a master track (no fretboard) pop up in their encore?

I've had "Where is my Mind" by the Pixies and "When I'm with You" by Best Coast pop up. Even though I know them fairly well and can play them away from the game, when it pops up I freak out. Still do okay, but freak out. I've also noticed that my guitar is a little to loud to play the master level because I can't hear the backing track well enough to keep my timing.

post #347 of 425 Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I'm not at that level yet. But I even if I did, I don't think I could do it without the visual queues. I can play riffs without looking but, I'd be lost in the song without knowing what's coming up. Not sure if it's just how my brain works or it's the game building bad habits.

I stopped playing for a month and trying to build my calluses back up, painful. I've been playing the jessica track and it's killing me trying to get the bend in the main riff. I can't get to a whole step without bumbling into the other strings fing up the sound.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #348 of 425 Old 02-10-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a way to drop the block in the Slider guitarcade game? I can't figure it out. TIA.
post #349 of 425 Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I've been playing the jessica track and it's killing me trying to get the bend in the main riff. I can't get to a whole step without bumbling into the other strings fing up the sound.

Try bending with your 3rd finger, with your 2nd and 1st fingers on the string as well for support. Also, let your 1st finger overlap the string so it can push the other strings out of the way as you bend so they don't slip under your other fingers.

BTW, I make my living as a guitar teacher/transcriber. Rocksmith is a cool program, but it really is no substitute for a live instructor.
post #350 of 425 Old 03-21-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone cares, a blues 3-pack dropped yesterday.
post #351 of 425 Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If anyone cares, a blues 3-pack dropped yesterday.

And it's awesome

post #352 of 425 Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It should be noted that there's no discounted pack; 3 individual songs for the standard $3 each.

post #353 of 425 Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Looks like after the hipster music this week, we get some Judas Priest on the next DLC date.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #354 of 425 Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

What's coming out this week?

post #355 of 425 Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

It was on their facebook page, maroon 5 and some other junk I'll be skipping.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #356 of 425 Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Looks like after the hipster music this week, we get some Judas Priest on the next DLC date.

Please continue...
post #357 of 425 Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

http://theherofeed.com/4022/6-songs-...-store-update/

I finally mastered my first song and it's that horrid Jarvis Crocker tune. The worst droning, uneventful song to listen to. I think I'm about to master the Boston song too, if I take the time to keep at it. Took too much time off playing and my fingers are sore from all the bends again. Trying to avoid any songs with bends for the mean time, so I can build up caluses.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #358 of 425 Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

To resurrect this thread:

Bass DLC in September. Also a patch is coming that includes navigation tuneups and the ability to manually adjust the speed in the practice modes.

Wow, as I'm looking for the link to this vid, I found an update that I hadn't read, from the source on herofeed.com. People that already own the game have to pay $30 for this DLC, whereas in October, people that don't own the game can just buy the new version with it included in the price. I think I'm going to wait for an amazon bargain to just buy the new game. That's pretty outrageous pricing. $110 vs $80. This just soured my mood...

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #359 of 425 Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah--I thought that the pricing seems a bit punitive to those of us who've supported the game from the beginning. $10-$15 seems more in line. It was pointed out to me elsewhere that this is like a "Game of the Year" edition of other games, where the buyer gets all of the DLC released to that point, which cost the people who bought the game originally $50 to buy.

post #360 of 425 Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 547
would be neat to have. but I don't have a bass guitar so it doesn't really matter to me. I guess the hoarder in me would like it.

yeah, it sucks for being so much for the DLC. but here's a way to look at it. The original MSRP was $80. Most people bought it around Black Friday for $50. So with this DLC, it's like you're basically buying the game for its original price. Hence the $80 price of the new "game of the year" edition.

I know. I know. but when you have lemons...
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page