Ubisoft annouces Rocksmith a new guitar based music game utilizing a real guitar - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #451 of 495 Old 12-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Damn you! I couldn't resist either at that price. Plus, it's Hendrix man!

If anyone has any kids/beginner friendly guitar recommendations, please let us know. Off to the local family owned music store tomorrow...

Last edited by tampabuc; 12-13-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 495 Old 12-13-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Was always interested in this but the title alone (Rock) kinda gave me a clue that it wouldn't be my cup of tea. Are there any R&B, Jazz, Soul songs in this thing? I'm not into Rock music at all so that wouldn't do anything for me except for the fact they say a good musician should be able to play anything.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #453 of 495 Old 12-13-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
Was always interested in this but the title alone (Rock) kinda gave me a clue that it wouldn't be my cup of tea. Are there any R&B, Jazz, Soul songs in this thing? I'm not into Rock music at all so that wouldn't do anything for me except for the fact they say a good musician should be able to play anything.

Not much. You can take a look at the song lists; note that there are three lists, one for the original RS, one for RS2014 and one for DLC. Use the genre filter, though I'd suggest that you sort by genre and scan through, genre being a little subjective.

It'd be cool if there were Bluessmith, Soulsmith, R&Bsmith, Jazzsmith, etc .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #454 of 495 Old 12-13-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 598
it's cool to own Hendrix stuff but his stuff is crazy to play. how about us beginners?
post #455 of 495 Old 12-13-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post
it's cool to own Hendrix stuff but his stuff is crazy to play. how about us beginners?

The game splits the song up into multiple sections and automatically levels up each section as you learn it. There's also lots of easier material than Hendrix in the on-disc selection of songs and in the other DLC.

If you're new to the game I suggest buying RS1 for 360 and porting the songs. If you buy the game for Xbox One you can port anything that you bought for Xbox 360 over to it, including the on-disc songs for RS1; I believe that it's the only way to get any of those songs on new gen machines. I think, however, that you need to install and run RS1 on 360 first. Check out those songs in the RS song list to see if you care about any of them.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 12-14-2014 at 12:20 AM.
post #456 of 495 Old 12-14-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the original Rocksmith for the 360. But I never bought any DLC. So there's nothing to port, correct? disc songs don't port, do they?
post #457 of 495 Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The game splits the song up into multiple sections and automatically levels up each section as you learn it. There's also lots of easier material than Hendrix in the on-disc selection of songs and in the other DLC. You can sort the list available to you by difficulty in the game.

If you're new to the game I suggest buying RS1 for 360 and porting the songs; I think that a used copy will do. If you buy the game for Xbox One you can port anything that you bought for Xbox 360 over to it, including the on-disc songs for RS1; I believe that it's the only way to get any of those songs on new gen machines. I think, however, that you need to install and run RS1 on 360 first. Check out those songs in the RS song list to see if you care about any of them.

post #458 of 495 Old 12-14-2014, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the original Rocksmith for 360. But I never purchased any DLC. Disc songs don't transfer to the One, do they?
post #459 of 495 Old 12-14-2014, 12:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have the original Rocksmith for 360. But I never purchased any DLC. Disc songs don't transfer to the One, do they?

Yes, they do (though it does sound as if you have to pay extra; I don't recall that from importing the RS1 disc songs into RS2014 for 360, but I'm probably just forgetting). From the Rocksmith 2014 Edition
PlayStation 4 & Xbox One FAQ
:

Quote:
I bought RS1 on the previous generation. Do I have to buy a copy of RS2014 for the previous generation as well to use the Import Tool, or can I just skip that version?

You can skip it. Your PSNID or Gamertag will show that you've played the original RS1 on the previous generation, and that's your validation for the server -- you'll then be able to buy the Import Tool as a transaction on PS4 or Xbox One, even if this version of RS2014 will be your first.

post #460 of 495 Old 12-15-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I really want to do this, but I'm not sure I can justify having it for 360, PC, and xb1. If they would just let me use the same library of dlc for all three versions, I'd be in for sure.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #461 of 495 Old 12-21-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can you really learn to play the guitar this way??? Anyone do that? Thanks!
post #462 of 495 Old 12-22-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Yes, they do (though it does sound as if you have to pay extra; I don't recall that from importing the RS1 disc songs into RS2014 for 360, but I'm probably just forgetting).
It's $9.99 to import them. You are just forgetting.
post #463 of 495 Old 12-22-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiggers View Post
I have a buddy that learned to play bass with RockSmith. I think it is a great tool to learn, but it shouldn't be the only one you use.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #464 of 495 Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiggers View Post
Yes you can, although supplementing with some YouTube lessons (or even better in-person instruction) will go a long way. And it's learning real guitar, so you aren't going to become a Guitar Hero / Rock Band style expert superstar in 6 months. You have to put in real time and real effort with a real instrument.
post #465 of 495 Old 12-22-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's a very good way to stick your toes in the water, particularly if you have an electric guitar sitting around or one available for you to borrow. If you get in on this sale price on the Xbox One version, it's $40 to see whether you like it enough to put some time into the effort to learn and advance. If you find that you're into it, you can add whatever other aids to learning that you feel like.

post #466 of 495 Old 12-22-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post
It's $9.99 to import them. You are just forgetting.

Yeah--there's almost always a fee for expanding the music licensing to let you use the previous game's music with the next. I'm kind of shocked that they managed to get the Xbox 360 and Xbox One (and PS3/PS4) to be considered as a single platform by the IP holders (well, kinda), letting us use anything that we bought/buy on the 360 with the game on the Xbox One (though not the other way around).

post #467 of 495 Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Forgive me for being dense. Kids and I want to try Rocksmith and learn guitar. Should we get the x360 version and then get the Import Tool (where do you get that) so we can also use the X1 if we wanted to or is it pretty much pay for the 360 version then pay for the new One version as well? The FAQ was a bit confusing when it noted that you can get away with buying Rocksmith one and bypassing RS2014 and just use an "import tool"? I'm lost. Can someone tell which version to buy?

Thanks,

Andy
post #468 of 495 Old 12-23-2014, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

from what I gather, the Import tool is the cost of moving your disc songs from the 360 to the One. michaelscott said to buy your DLC on the 360 and those will move to the One for free. If you buy the DLC on the One, they don't go to the 360 version.

I have zero intention of ever going back to the 360 version so while on a "value" level, you should get the 360 DLC and then import to the One, that seems more like hoarding in my situation than actual usefulness.
post #469 of 495 Old 12-23-2014, 01:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
Forgive me for being dense. Kids and I want to try Rocksmith and learn guitar. Should we get the x360 version and then get the Import Tool (where do you get that) so we can also use the X1 if we wanted to or is it pretty much pay for the 360 version then pay for the new One version as well? The FAQ was a bit confusing when it noted that you can get away with buying Rocksmith one and bypassing RS2014 and just use an "import tool"? I'm lost. Can someone tell which version to buy?

If you principally plan to play the game on your Xbox One, the only reason to buy the original game on the Xbox 360 is to get the songs on that disc. It's the only way to get those songs to play on the Xbox One since you can't buy a version of that game for Xbox One. (You can see that list of songs here). All other available songs either come with RS2014 or can be purchased in the game, even songs which were released for the original game before the RS2014 came out. If you want the original RS' songs and purchase the game to get them, you can install it on your 360, then install RS2014 on your Xbox One and pay $10 (with the in-game store on Xbox One) to export those songs from the original game onto your Xbox One. (You should install and run it on both machines while logged into the same XBL account).

I know--it does sound a bit complicated; unless there are things in that list you just have to have, you might want to just forego those songs from the original game and buy the Xbox One game with cable at Amazon's current bargain $40 price, which gets you the songs which come on its disc and a 12 pack of Jimi Hendrix songs if you download them before January 31st.

These complicated instructions and rules are primarily for those of us who own the original RS and/or RS2014 for Xbox 360 already and want to buy the game for Xbox One and use all of the music that we already have on the 360 in the game on the Xbox One.
tampabuc likes this.

post #470 of 495 Old 12-23-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you both. Much clearer to me. Due to the value proposition and locations of my One's and 360's I ordered the 360 version since cost is equal to the cable alone. Then if I wanted I'd go with the download for the One's and keep all the dlc's.

One last question, if I continue to play on the 360 and buy dlc is the importing of songs repeatable or a one time thing. Does it happen instantaneously?

Thanks again.
post #471 of 495 Old 12-23-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thank you both. Much clearer to me. Due to the value proposition and locations of my One's and 360's I ordered the 360 version since cost is equal to the cable alone. Then if I wanted I'd go with the download for the One's and keep all the dlc's.

One last question, if I continue to play on the 360 and buy dlc is the importing of songs repeatable or a one time thing. Does it happen instantaneously?

Thanks again.

If you buy the game for Xbox One (and I encourage you to do that now while it's on sale you can get it for $40, also just slightly more than the cost of the cable which comes with it and also get the 12 song Jimi Hendrix pack for free for a limited time) you should buy any future DLC for Xbox 360 since then you can use it on both platforms.

To be clear, which game did you buy for the Xbox 360? The original Rocksmith or Rocksmith 2014?

post #472 of 495 Old 12-23-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I ordered the 360 version with intent of buying the One version as a download in the future. But are you suggesting that if I get the One version. I can play on both the One and 360? I bought the 2014 edition for 360. It's back ordered so I can still cancel if you guys think the One version was the smarter purchase.

Thanks again

Last edited by AndyN; 12-23-2014 at 07:36 PM.
post #473 of 495 Old 12-23-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I ordered the 360 version with intent of buying the One version as a download in the future. But are you suggesting that if I get the One version. I can play on both the One and 360? I bought the 2014 edition for 360.

If you buy the One version from Amazon right now you can get it for $40 and it will come with a second cable (with two cables I believe that you can play songs together with another person on the same machine, either playing two different guitar parts--lead and rhythm, etc--or one playing a guitar part and another playing bass; you can play the bass parts on a guitar). You will also get a 12 song Hendrix pack for the One for free ($30 separately) if you download it before January 31st. If you then buy all new DLC for the game on the 360 you will be able to play those songs on the One as well at no additional cost.

It's kind of a side-effect of them allowing people like me who've been playing the game from the beginning to play all the songs that we've bought for the Xbox 360 in the past if we buy the version for Xbox One. Many of those people will download their old songs and switch entirely to playing the game on Xbox One, but of course you can keep playing the 360 version and any DLC you buy for the 360 going forward will be available to download for the Xbox One version. (This is given that you install both versions using the same XBL account, I think). The reverse is not true; if you buy DLC using the in-game song store in the Xbox One version you will not be able to play those songs on the Xbox 360 without buying them again.

Every other game that I've purchased for the Xbox One has been as a digital download; I hadn't actually tried to use the BD drive on my Xbox One until I ordered this. Given that, its disc can live in the Xbox One's BD drive since I won't be buying another game for it on disc. There is no disc-only or digital download Xbox One version of the game because there is no previous version for the Xbox One, so anyone who starts playing the game on it is presumed to need a cable. There's no Xbox 360 DD version of the original game, though they did release a disc-only one, I think.

All of my Xbox 360 games are digital downloads (30+, I believe), some purchased as double-dips of discs, so right now my copy of Rock Band 3 lives in its disc drive, though I have the DD of that game, for a not entirely legitimate use .

post #474 of 495 Old 12-23-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotcha. Buy the Xbox one disc also so I get a second cable and essentially a free game instead of getting the X1 version as a dd w/o cable for $59.

Last question, if I start in the X1 first then go to the x360 and get the first Tocksmith and can still import to the X1, right? Doesn't matter which system I start on?

Thanks michaelscott
post #475 of 495 Old 12-24-2014, 10:49 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 208
The $10 import tool is only to convert the original Rocksmith songs to Rocksmith 2014 versions. There are a few songs that will not convert, because they did not get licensing.

Since I run the PC version, (I decided early on that I would be better off buying all my DLC there so I wouldn't have to run into these different system transfers) I don't have experience with the DLC transfers, but anything you have available on your 360 version of Rocksmith 2014, should be available for x1 version of Rocksmith 2014.

Buy the DLC on last generation hardware and you get it for this generation hardware. That's a pretty good deal, IMO.

Quote:
I bought RS1 on the previous generation. Do I have to buy a copy of RS2014 for the previous generation as well to use the Import Tool, or can I just skip that version? You can skip it. Your PSNID or Gamertag will show that you've played the original RS1 on the previous generation, and that's your validation for the server -- you'll then be able to buy the Import Tool as a transaction on PS4 or Xbox One, even if this version of RS2014 will be your first.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #476 of 495 Old 12-24-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Gotcha. Buy the Xbox one disc also so I get a second cable and essentially a free game instead of getting the X1 version as a dd w/o cable for $59.

Last question, if I start in the X1 first then go to the x360 and get the first Tocksmith and can still import to the X1, right? Doesn't matter which system I start on?

I assume that's true; they don't comment on that scenario in their FAQ (which is oriented on helping people continue to use the songs that they already have on 360 and PS3 on Xbox One and PS4). After installing the original Rocksmith you'll have to purchase the $10 import tool to make its songs playable by Rocksmith 2014 on your Xbox 360, then you should be able to get the version of that tool for Xbox One to make the songs available there, presumably for free.

I'd received my copy of the Xbox One disc+cable a week ago and finally got around to setting it up last night and found that the import tool is not yet available for Xbox One (or PS4 for that matter). A note in the FAQ dated yesterday:

Quote:
What is the current status of legacy DLC on each platform?
XBOX ONE, 12/23: All legacy DLC excepting the import tool is available for sale. Anyone who bought DLC on 360 as single Songs or Packs should be able to download some of that material as Songs, but the permissions required to do that are not yet in place for all users. We have seen song permissions make progress, but it's still somewhat slow, so we do not have a hard date when we expect all this legacy content permissions to be sorted. We are working with Microsoft to untangle this, but we aren't expecting any progress during the holiday break. We'll update you again in the new year.
I was able to download the Hendrix pack and all of the DLC I purchased with the 360 version without further payment.

They instruct you that the best setup is to use optical for sound out of your Xbox One to avoid latency of processing of sound sent through HDMI. People experience various amounts of that depending upon their set up and at a certain level it make gameplay impossible. I was able to use my Xbox 360 with HDMI sound because I don't have a perceptible level of audio delay (I was arguing with someone earlier in this thread who found that difficult to believe); Rock Band auto-calibration measures my audio lag to be 20ms, which, if accurate, would explain that. I don't know about you, but I'm sure that I couldn't hear .02 seconds lag. Of course, that's running my Xbox's HDMI through my AVR; if I run its HDMI connection directly into the television and use the TV's optical output, audio lag before .16 seconds, which I'm sure would be easily detectible and annoying. No doubt I could fiddle with my AVR to process the sound in ways which would add latency.

post #477 of 495 Old 12-24-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
The $10 import tool is only to convert the original Rocksmith songs to Rocksmith 2014 versions. There are a few songs that will not convert, because they did not get licensing.

Since the original RS was only available on disc the songs reside on the disc; this is the same as with Rock Band. Part of the import operation is to put those songs on the HDD so that they can be played by the other game(s). (The import operation for Rock Band 1 actually copied the songs from the disc; subsequent imports, such as from LEGO Rock Band, Green Day Rock Band and Rock Band 2, downloaded a monolithic pack of the songs down from the cloud. A side effect of that was that you can't remove any of those imports from the library listing in the other games without physically deleting the file containing all of them; Rock Band 3 came up with a solution for that, adding a filter to remove songs marked a certain way by the player from the list).

The RS1 update pack contains versions of the songs that they were able to license for the new game with added features which weren't present in the original game, including new notation for expression that they didn't have before.

post #478 of 495 Old 12-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I assume that's true; they don't comment on that scenario in their FAQ (which is oriented on helping people continue to use the songs that they already have on 360 and PS3 on Xbox One and PS4). After installing the original Rocksmith you'll have to purchase the $10 import tool to make its songs playable by Rocksmith 2014 on your Xbox 360, then you should be able to get the version of that tool for Xbox One to make the songs available there, presumably for free.
I believe the quote in my post addresses this exact scenario. That's why I posted it. It's from the official FAQ. The fact that you played one before another won't change anything.

You have to at least have played it once. Whether it's available to buy or not, is a different situation.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #479 of 495 Old 12-24-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I believe the quote in my post addresses this exact scenario. That's why I posted it. It's from the official FAQ. The fact that you played one before another won't change anything.

You have to at least have played it once. Whether it's available to buy or not, is a different situation.

His specific scenario is buying all of this stuff for the first time which the FAQ does not address. What he asked was whether he could buy RS2014 for Xbox 360 (which he already has done)(, RS2014 for Xbox One and then buy the original RS and export the original's songs to the Xbox One. Your quote is about whether, having only bought the original for Xbox 360, would you have to buy the RS2014 for Xbox 360 too in order to get the original's songs in RS2014 on Xbox One, the answer being, "No--owning the original RS for Xbox 360, you'll be able to buy the $10 import tool on Xbox One". If, however, you'd purchased the import tool on 360 you should be able to use the import tool on Xbox One without additional charge. Having already bought RS2014 for both 360 and Xbox One I feel certain that he could then install the original RS on 360 and pay $10 for the import tool on Xbox One, but he would not be able to play the original's song list in RS2014 on 360.

post #480 of 495 Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

you guys are confusing me.

1) buy 360 Rocksmith
2) buy One Rocksmith 2014
3) buy DLC on the 360 if you want to DLC on both consoles
4) buy Import Tool so 360 Rocksmith songs go to One Rocksmith 2014