Ubisoft annouces Rocksmith a new guitar based music game utilizing a real guitar - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #511 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Is your 360 a very old one without an HDMI connection? Or your AVR an old one without HDMI? What AVR do you have and how is your 360 currently connected to it and your television.
My AVR is a Yamaha RX-V 673and the 360 is the last version connected via HDMI to TV.As per Ubisoft set up sheet.an adapter is needed to send sound to the AVR using RCA cable,while the HDMI sends video to TV.In the guide it notes that you should avoid sending audio through TV to prevent audio lag,and I can attest there is quite a bit of lag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Upon further review, I don't think a genuine Les Paul is In the mix. Looking at an Epiphone or an Ibanez. BTW, I have a Snark tuner, I love that thing, years ago when I was hacking away trying to learn to play, I had pitch pipe.
Don't let that price scare you away. You can get nice gibson guitars for cheap. Used or the junior model are pretty cheap. They have some pretty low price barebones models too. All american made.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-L...38-i2969426.gc
http://www.samash.com/solid-body-ele...ar-glpj14xxx-p
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-2...79-i2800822.gc

LTD and PRS make some nice single cut guitars for cheap. Guitars made by companies other than Gibson and Epiphone call them single cut. You can also get some nice cheap guitars from this place.

www.rondomusic.com

You can even do custom guitars, but they are back ordered. I think the official rocksmith forums probably sent these guys a lot more business.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #513 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what I mean.
FOR XBOX 360
IDEAL SETUPS: The following examples divert the audio output separately, not through the HDTV.
SETUP 1
HDMI CABLE + AUDIO ADAPTER TO EXTERNAL AUDIO

An HDMI OUT connector alongside an AV cable. The AV cable carries audio to the sound system, while the HDMI OUT connector carries video directly to the HDTV.
It’s important to avoid running the audio signal through the HDTV.
NOTE: This configuration may require an adjustment to your Xbox 360 system settings.
SETUP 2
COMPOMENT CABLE TO EXTERNAL AUDIO

This configuration uses a component AV cable only.
The audio part of the component AV cable is routed directly to the audio receiver, and does NOT go through the HDTV.
WARNING: Using the optical audio output method can add audio latency, and is not recommend.
SETUP 3
COMPOMENT CABLE + HEADPHONES

This configuration uses a component AV cable with headphones, connected using a Y-cable adapter.
The audio portion of the component AV cable is routed directly to the headphones, and does NOT go through the HDTV.
NOTE: Outputting the system’s audio through standard headphones will likely require an audio adapter (sold separately).
post #514 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
My AVR is a Yamaha RX-V 673and the 360 is the last version connected via HDMI to TV.As per Ubisoft set up sheet.an adapter is needed to send sound to the AVR using RCA cable,while the HDMI sends video to TV.In the guide it notes that you should avoid sending audio through TV to prevent audio lag,and I can attest there is quite a bit of lag.

Yes--sending audio into the television on HDMI and then into the AVR via S/PDIF from the television usually adds a ton of lag. However, I run HDMI out of my Xboxes (360 and One) into my AVR and out of my AVR into the television via HDMI and I don't get any significant audio lag running RS on either system; you should try it and see. Rock Band auto-calibration consistently measures audio lag in my system as 20ms. (One of the guitar controllers has optical and audio sensors built into its face; you hold the controller up to a speaker while the game repeatedly sounds a tone to measure audio lag and against the face of the television while the game repeatedly flashes it to measure video lag. The game needs to sync the audio and video and know what it is that you're seeing on the screen when you make performance gestures). I cannot hear a 2/100 second delay.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #515 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Yes--sending audio into the television on HDMI and then into the AVR via S/PDIF from the television usually adds a ton of lag. However, I run HDMI out of my Xboxes (360 and One) into my AVR and out of my AVR into the television via HDMI and I don't get any significant audio lag running RS on either system; you should try it and see. Rock Band auto-calibration consistently measures audio lag in my system as 20ms. (One of the guitar controllers has optical and audio sensors built into its face; you hold the controller up to a speaker while the game repeatedly sounds a tone to measure audio lag and against the face of the television while the game repeatedly flashes it to measure video lag. The game needs to sync the audio and video and know what it is that you're seeing on the screen when you make performance gestures). I cannot hear a 2/100 second delay.

Thanks for the input, really haven't looked at it very closely yet.
post #516 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Don't let that price scare you away. You can get nice gibson guitars for cheap. Used or the junior model are pretty cheap. They have some pretty low price barebones models too. All american made.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-L...38-i2969426.gc

http://www.samash.com/solid-body-ele...ar-glpj14xxx-p

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-2...79-i2800822.gc

LTD and PRS make some nice single cut guitars for cheap. Guitars made by companies other than Gibson and Epiphone call them single cut. You can also get some nice cheap guitars from this place.

www.rondomusic.com

You can even do custom guitars, but they are back ordered. I think the official rocksmith forums probably sent these guys a lot more business.

Thanks, I may even look into a bass, I use to have a Yamaha bass that I messed around with.
post #517 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Luckily no noticeable lag going HDMI to my TV. No audio system for this setup just TV speakers.

Tried a bit today and boy it's going to be a long time before I'll be playing real guitar. Does the game have a more educational tutorial? One that teaches the basics more in depth or is it pretty much try to learn by learning a song? Also anything that teaches notes? Or is it learn via the colors and numbers? I'd love to learn what notes I'm being asked to play.
post #518 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
Does the game have a more educational tutorial? One that teaches the basics more in depth or is it pretty much try to learn by learning a song?

There are 85 lessons for guitar. Someone scrolls through the list slowly in the following clip:

Spoiler!

Then there are the Guitarcade games:

Spoiler!

The game is all about teaching you technique. If you want to learn theory you need look elsewhere; something like "Guitar Theory for Dummies".

post #519 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool. Game is a lot of fun. More rewarding than rock band. Harder for sure. Now I need to figure out how to download the free Hendrix pack.

***Nevermind, JH pack only for xbox one. Need to set that up soon.

Last edited by AndyN; 01-01-2015 at 10:14 PM.
post #520 of 530 Old 01-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Try out http://www.justinguitar.com/

I see it recommended all the time for good free lessons. Haven't used it myself yet. I haven't had the mood yet to get into properly learning.

For bass there is http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/

Same situation here, haven't tried that one but see it recommended all the time.

This next one I have actually used in the past, and it was a huge help. I saw pretty quick results too. It was all text based and some audio clips and little flash animations when I was using it. It has been updated a couple times since I've actually used it. Not sure what has changed since. You definitely need to have the will and time set apart to learn with these websites.

http://www.studybass.com/

Rocksmith is excellent in teaching you how to mimic a guitarist(this is basically how I use rocksmith) by playing the select songs available within the system. To truly learn how to PLAY a guitar/bass, I think you need proper lessons. Be it in person, or one of those websites, or another like them.
RemoWilliams84 likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #521 of 530 Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool. Thank you Yrd
post #522 of 530 Old 01-02-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I'm on the 360,need the audio adapter to have sound through AVR and not through TV.
If you mean the block that plugs into the AV port to get optical and stereo sound out while you connect with HDMI for video, then if you can find the Bandfuse game for 360 it is included. Gamestop has some copies for $6.99 blowout and their website makes it easy to find out if a store with it in stock is near you.
post #523 of 530 Old 01-02-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post
If you mean the block that plugs into the AV port to get optical and stereo sound out while you connect with HDMI for video, then if you can find the Bandfuse game for 360 it is included. Gamestop has some copies for $6.99 blowout and their website makes it easy to find out if a store with it in stock is near you.
Thanks for the tip.
post #524 of 530 Old 01-03-2015, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 666
So I went to Gamestop to pick up a "new" copy of Bandfuse...

This is what I get... Now I understand that lawsuit way back when of Gamestop selling things as "new" that look like this...

You guys can't see how ratty the box is, especially on the backside...
post #525 of 530 Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I've owned both an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and now a Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus (has push pull tone pots to switch to a single coil sound). If you're serious at all about playing, go for the Gibson Studio. Same guitar as a $2500 Gibson Les Paul, the only difference is they don't put the plastic binding around the edges and the backs are usually painted a solid color rather than the burst, and usually they don't put covers on the pickups, but those are cheap anyway.

If you're just starting out or just plan on playing rocksmith, get the Epiphone, but pick it out in a store and play the one you are going to buy. They are good guitars, but the fault tolerance is higher. I had to send 2 of them back before I found one I liked in store and just bought that one.

And I personally don't like the robot tuners. Buy a good pedal tuner and forget about it. After a while you won't need one anyway unless you are tuning to non-standard tunings.

Oh, and JustinGuitar is great.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

Last edited by RemoWilliams84; 01-05-2015 at 07:32 AM.
post #526 of 530 Old 01-08-2015, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Loving the game so far. Bummed that the 360 to X1 DLC transfer currently does not work for me. Bought the Maroon 5 dlc on the 360 but unable to get it on the One w/o a charge. UBI faq admits they are having problems with the X1 and are working with MS to solve the problem. No ETA. It also notes that it effects some users. Not sure what that means and why it would only effect some. Also noticed Imagine from John Lennon is available for the 360 but I can't find it for the X1. Odd. Some teething problems but game is cool. Oh and apparently my acoustic guitar apparently can't do pulls. Oh well.

Last edited by AndyN; 01-08-2015 at 10:14 PM.
post #527 of 530 Old 01-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Imagine is in your store page? I don't think that one has been announced yet. Did you mistake Rock Band DLC for Rocksmith?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #528 of 530 Old 01-09-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Imagine is in your store page? I don't think that one has been announced yet. Did you mistake Rock Band DLC for Rocksmith?
I'll double check tonight. I likely confused things. Hopefully I did so I can stop wondering why its messed up. Still have problems with 360 to One DLC though.
post #529 of 530 Old 01-09-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
I'll double check tonight. I likely confused things. Hopefully I did so I can stop wondering why its messed up. Still have problems with 360 to One DLC though.

It's on-disc in Rock Band 3 with no guitar part. The piece itself is piano, classical strings, drums and an electric bass.

post #530 of 530 Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Just an update for those waiting to transfer x360 songs to the x1. Seems to have been fixed. Per the ubi Rocksmith forums:

We got the all-clear from Microsoft regarding the 360 DLC downloading on Xbox One. Please give it a try if you haven't yet this week.

Known issues:

The free holiday DLC does not transfer to X1. Sorry.
To get Bachsmith or the Rock Singles Pack content (Darkness, Ram Jam, Sweet), download those as packs. Everything else you should be able to get as individual song downloads.
We see there's a Three Days Grace single attached to the Duran Duran pack in place of Rio. We're investigating that one.

Obviously, this was never supposed to happen; we met with MS more than a month ahead of launch and everything looked ready to go. This has been a huge embarrassment for everyone on this side and I know it's been the primary source of frustration and dissatisfaction for all the players who moved from 360 to X1. Thank you so much for being patient while we untangled it all.
onlysublime likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area