Ubisoft annouces Rocksmith a new guitar based music game utilizing a real guitar - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 448 Old 09-23-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 762
I was always planning to buy this, but having watched all of onlysublime's picked video, now I'm stoked .

I'm torn as to whether to buy a new guitar or attempt to use my RB3 Squier, whose intonation sucks, though I never cared before since I rarely play it out loud. The package is only a savings of $10 (the Epiphone LP Jr commonly e-tails for $130); I might eventually buy a better electric guitar but I may start out using my RB3 Squier (it might not work well due to the badly set intonation).

I could also use my You Rock Guitar, but one of the things that I'm looking forward to with this game is the fact that it judges whether you played the right thing by the way that it sounds. In RB3, there's tons of technique that would make your playing sound like crap that this game should reject. (A big one being unintentionally muting strings in chords which should be strummed open, removing that tone from the chord--hopefully RS will sense that. There are lots of things which will cause string buzzing, but it might not care about that; we'll see).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 448 Old 09-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I'm really disappointed Amazon has no pre-order incentive, or I would have pre-ordered already.

As it is, I'll wait until the price drops. But I'm really excited for this game and looking forward to the bass support they promised. I hope it's not going to cost a fortune to add it in.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #63 of 448 Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 569
here's a pic of the cable which you can buy separately so you can get co-op multiplayer going...

Called the Real Tone Cable, the ¼ to USB cable will be released in the US at the same time as the game's launch and will turn the analog signals from your electric guitar into digital signals that can be recognized and played through the console. The cable will be 11.25′ in length and will carry an MSRP of $29.99.

I saw this post at ScoreHero from a guy:

"My impressions are as follows:

The question that a lot of people are going to have is this: Is it a game? Or a musical instruction tool? And frankly, it's pretty squarely right in the middle of both camps (maybe leaning a bit more towards music instruction). I've taught guitar before, and honestly, the minigames they have and the way the song dynamically adjusts difficulty made me wish this game was around when I was learning.

Learning to play guitar, after all, requires a lot of practice, which early on, kinda sucks. The game eases you into it with games that give you positive feedback while drilling the fundamental skills. Would have liked a little more hand holding in regards to left hand neck placement and pick technique, however (although I don't know if they're adding more instructional type videos to the final product)

The game plays loose with timing - the window is generous, but I don't think it's a problem because the satisfaction you're getting here isn't 5 starring a song, but it should be hearing yourself make music that sounds right. That in itself is a potential issue because from what I could tell, the strongest feedback you get from the game is if what you're playing on the guitar doesn't sound right. For a beginner with no musical background, it can sometimes be hard to tell when you're being dissonent.

The latency of a polyphonic pitch detecting algorithm basically means this is a lot like scored playing along with a song.

One thing that's fantastic - when you're practicing a super hard section, you have the option of only playing the next note if you get the note you're on correctly. That means for complex solo sections you can basically step through it one note at a time at your own pace, which is basically how anybody who's ever picked up a guitar before would being practicing something. This is such a shockingly obvious way of doing this (compared to Rock Band basically requiring you to try your best through the whole section at the slowest speed, which often times is too fast to learn anything).

Overall, I'm very impressed with the game as a platform for learning how to play guitar, and making that process actually fun, as opposed to a chore."
post #64 of 448 Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

post #65 of 448 Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

post #66 of 448 Old 10-02-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The Gaming Vault preview article:
http://www.thegamingvault.com/2011/0...iew-rocksmith/

http://theherofeed.com/rocksmith-setlist/
unofficial Rocksmith song list:
Best Coast - When I'm With You
Blur - Song 2″
Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
Dan Auerbach - I Want Some More
David Bowie - Rebel Rebel
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Incubus - I Miss You
Interpol - Slow Hands
Jarvis Cocker - Angela
Jenny O -Well OK Honey
Kings Of Leon Use Somebody
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
Muse - Plug In Baby
Muse - Unnatural Selection
Nirvana - Breed
Nirvana - In Bloom
Radiohead - High And Dry
Red Fang - Number Thirteen
Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch
Soundgarden - Outshined
Spoon - Me And The Bean
Stone Temple Pilots - Between The Lines
Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline
Taddy Porter - Mean B.i.t.c.h
The Animals - House of the Rising Sun
The Black Keys - I Got Mine
The Black Keys - Next Girl
The Boxer Rebellion - Step Out Of The Car
The Cribs - We Share The Same Skies
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
The Dead Weather - I Can't Hear You
The Horrors - Do You Remember
The Pixies - Where's Is My Mind
Queens of the Stone Age - Go With The Flow
Rapscallions - California Brain
Red Hot Chili Peppers Higher Ground
The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
The Rolling Stones - The Spider And the Fly
Sigur Rós - Gobbledigook
The White Stripes - Icky Thump
The Yellow Moon Band - Chimney
Titus Andronicus - A More Perfect Union
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Good Enough
Velvet Revolver - Slither
VsThem - 6AM Salvation
White Denim - Burnished
The xx - Islands

Bonus Songs
Seth Chapla - Jules
Chris Lee Boss
post #67 of 448 Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

post #68 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 502
For someone buying this game in hopes of learning how to play the guitar during his free time would it be better for me to buy the bundle or to purchase my own guitar? I noticed the bundle comes with a junior guitar and I wasnt sure if that would be a problem for me. Thanks for any info.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #69 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

For someone buying this game in hopes of learning how to play the guitar during his free time would it be better for me to buy the bundle or to purchase my own guitar? I noticed the bundle comes with a junior guitar and I wasnt sure if that would be a problem for me. Thanks for any info.

It's not a bad deal at all and the Epiphone Les Paul Junior should be a good starter guitar. I've owned epiphones before and they make a good quality cheap guitar. If it's something you don't know that you are going to enjoy, I would definitely go the cheap route.

Then, if like me, you fall in love with playing you can sell it for $80 to some mom looking for a starter guitar for her son and buy you a new one. That's when things start getting expensive. I buy too many guitars now.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #70 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I read in a comments section for that Gaming Vault preview where someone is claiming you get a couple of picks, a guitar strap, and an extra USB cable, in addition to the preorder songs by preordering with Gamestop.

But the Gamestop website only mentions a $25 voucher for Guitar Center (which I guess you can apply it toward the $30 USB cable) and the preorder songs (Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird", Radiohead's "Bodysnatchers").
post #71 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Junior doesn't mean it's a kid size guitar, it's just a bottom of the line guitar.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #72 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Junior doesn't mean it's a kid size guitar, it's just a bottom of the line guitar.

Not even that--I don't know the rhyme or reason of naming, but a Gibson Les Paul Jr. retails for about what you'd pay for a Fender American Special Strat ($840--the American Standard will run you $1000, but there are certainly more expensive LP Juniors--up to $2500 for the vintage Les Paul Junior 1958 replica. Epiphone is to Gibson what Squier is to Fender.

They do make a smaller scale Epiphone LP--the LP Express, 22" scale versus the LP's 24.75" scale (Strats are 25.5", scale being the length of the neck).

post #73 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The Junior only has a single pickup and I believe the body is a little smaller. It's still a full size guitar. That annoying nasily guy from Green Day plays a junior.

Edit: I was wrong. Same size but does just have a single pickup (it's a humbucker in the epiphone model), tone and volume knob.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #74 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

hey guys, looking for advice... I have an acoustic guitar that I like but it has no pickup but the Rockband FAQ says that I can buy a pickup in order to use it.

I saw this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan...7041309&sr=8-1

what do you guys think?
post #75 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

hey guys, looking for advice... I have an acoustic guitar that I like but it has no pickup but the Rockband FAQ says that I can buy a pickup in order to use it.

I saw this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan-Acoustic-Guitar-Pickup/dp/B0002E3B78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307041309&sr=8-1what do you guys think?

I don't like where that cable exits the pickup--it has a high potential for being struck by the ringing 1st string (high e), muting it. You'd think that they could have made a little hole on the side of the pickup and run the cable through it, straight down the face of the guitar. Maybe you can modify it for that.

This one seems like a better design (and it's cheaper ):

The one review for that one complains that it's output is low, but he was using it with an amp. It's probably not much of a problem for the game.

It's probably preferable to use an electric with this, since it's strings won't make much noise to compete with what's being produced by the game's "amplifier". There are mutes that can be used in the soundholes of acoustics, but that center-of-the-hole pickup might get in the way of using them.

post #76 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys for the input. I will stick with my original preorder on the bundle.

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #77 of 448 Old 10-05-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input, Mike! I just wish there were more reviews for that cheap pickup. I googled and it's awfully cheap (some places are selling it for $5 before tax/shipping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I don't like where that cable exits the pickup--it has a high potential for being struck by the ringing 1st string (high e), muting it. You'd think that they could have made a little hole on the side of the pickup and run the cable through it, straight down the face of the guitar. Maybe you can modify it for that.

This one seems like a better design (and it's cheaper ):

The one review for that one complains that it's output is low, but he was using it with an amp. It's probably not much of a problem for the game.

It's probably preferable to use an electric with this, since it's strings won't make much noise to compete with what's being produced by the game's "amplifier". There are mutes that can be used in the soundholes of acoustics, but that center-of-the-hole pickup might get in the way of using them.

post #78 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, you can see all of the Ubisoft RS videos, including some never posted in this thread, on their YouTube channel.

post #79 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My preorder is at best buy because they have the 2 free songs plus some dlc effect pedals.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #80 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if the two free songs is worth the $6.80 sales tax I'd pay by pre-ordering from Gamestop? Of course, there's the $25 Guitar Center voucher, but it seems to be only good towards the purchase of an actual guitar, not accessories and such (kind of silly, since you get the same voucher with the bundle ):
Quote:

Pre-Order Rocksmith with GameStop and receive a $25* voucher toward a Guitar Purchase at Guitar Center!

•$25 off applies to Guitars purchased at the store's tagged Guaranteed Low Price. Not to be used in conjunction with other coupons, promotions or offers. No cash value. Excludes clearance, ukuleles, price matches, scratch & dent, vintage equipment, Gift Cards and musician services (Pro Coverage, GC Garage). Offer valid through 12-31-2011.

The explicit exclusion of "Gift Cards and musician services" give me a bit of pause.

I would like "Freebird" and "Bodysnatchers" wouldn't be bad to have. I wonder if they'll be available as DLC (and what the DLC's going to cost)?

I considered buying the bundle or a slightly better new guitar ala carte but then decided to make my RB3 Squier more playable instead. As is, it's difficult to tune, won't hold its tune and its intonation is off; to date, this hasn't bothered me since I don't actually play it out loud through an amp. So, I bought it some new tuning machines (these) which I'll have installed by a tech and get the intonation set at the same time.

post #81 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input, Mike! I just wish there were more reviews for that cheap pickup. I googled and it's awfully cheap (some places are selling it for $5 before tax/shipping).

Thanks for that new picture--I couldn't find one of it installed and it perfectly illustrates my point. The cable is coming out of the sound hole at a much better location, safely away from the strings.

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean that it's not good. The price makes it extremely low risk .

post #82 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

My preorder is at best buy because they have the 2 free songs plus some dlc effect pedals.

I dislike pre-ordering from BB, in part because they charge at pre-order time (it may only be a hold on your card, but there's little effective difference). I'll think about it though.

post #83 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if the two free songs is worth the $6.80 sales tax I'd pay by pre-ordering from Gamestop?

Good Point. For me I would be getting the bundle so I would be looking at almost $13 for just 2 songs. I would think they would add it as a DLC at some point. Think I'll be going through amazon for this one.

post #84 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like "Freebird" and "Bodysnatchers" wouldn't be bad to have. I wonder if they'll be available as DLC (and what the DLC's going to cost)?

I asked that same question earlier. I don't think there's any info.

I'm not a fan of either of those stores for the pre-order bonus. I'm hoping Freebird will be a DLC I can buy later on.

Quote:

BTW, you can see all of the Ubisoft RS videos, including some never posted in this thread, on their YouTube channel.

I'm had enough of their videos, all of them just repeat the same info about how the game adapts the difficulty. Ok, I get it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #85 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good Point. For me I would be getting the bundle so I would be looking at almost $13 for just 2 songs. I would think they would add it as a DLC at some point. Think I'll be going through amazon for this one.

today, I was visiting my tax guy (yes, I'm a procrastinator), and he asked me whether I bought products from outside California through my PC. Yes, I know you're supposed to report your Internet purchases and dutifully pay taxes on them, but yeah, I flinched at the question. Just too addicted to "no tax" purchases from Amazon.

the funny thing is my bro moved out to NY for school and in NY, Amazon is taxed but Newegg isn't so now his purchases have flipped toward Newegg whereas in Cali, we tend to purchase Amazon over Newegg due to tax.

But back to the topic at hand, yeah, if I was getting the guitar/game bundle, I'd most likely go the Amazon route.

I figure DLC songs will be $2-3 each. More likely toward the $3 end.
post #86 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

today, I was visiting my tax guy (yes, I'm a procrastinator), and he asked me whether I bought products from outside California through my PC. Yes, I know you're supposed to report your Internet purchases and dutifully pay taxes on them, but yeah, I flinched at the question. Just too addicted to "no tax" purchases from Amazon.

the funny thing is my bro moved out to NY for school and in NY, Amazon is taxed but Newegg isn't so now his purchases have flipped toward Newegg whereas in Cali, we tend to purchase Amazon over Newegg due to tax.

But back to the topic at hand, yeah, if I was getting the guitar/game bundle, I'd most likely go the Amazon route.

I figure DLC songs will be $2-3 each. More likely toward the $3 end.

I don't think the issue is how much they will cost, but if they will even be available to people that did not pre-order. Same as they do with stupid things like golden guns for gears of war. Can't get them unless you pre-ordered, or bought the code on ebay.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #87 of 448 Old 10-06-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Usually everything gets releases in DLC for some extra cash. Maybe not at launch but I think at some time we will see these songs.

post #88 of 448 Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

post #89 of 448 Old 10-09-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

post #90 of 448 Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I pre-ordered this at GameStop since the guy told me I would get a $25 credit for the Rocksmith online store. I assume this can be used to buy new songs as they become available? I hope he isn't confusing it with the Guitar Center $25 card?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page