Ubisoft annouces Rocksmith a new guitar based music game utilizing a real guitar - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 410 Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20

xbl/gamecenter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

psn/twitter: ileff
my app:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 179
What I noticed in this video is the sound coming from the actual guitar. I was always annoyed by the stupid clicking from the guitar hero guitars so the rockband guitars were always my favorite. Now you're going to hear the non amplified guitar sounds with a tiny lag echo with the amped version through the game. I know those guys are running with the absolute lowest lag possible but that is going to be tricky to get used to.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #93 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

What I noticed in this video is the sound coming from the actual guitar. I was always annoyed by the stupid clicking from the guitar hero guitars so the rockband guitars were always my favorite. Now you're going to hear the non amplified guitar sounds with a tiny lag echo with the amped version through the game. I know those guys are running with the absolute lowest lag possible but that is going to be tricky to get used to.

I'm thinking headphones may be the way to go.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #94 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 544
If there's a delay there, it's not one that I can detect.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #95 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

From this preview: http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2011/...ds-on-preview/

I was very worried about latency going in, and I’m happy to say that latency of note detection was not a problem. But there is a latency issue — it’s just not what I thought it was. When you play electric guitar in Rocksmith, the console is your amplifier. That is, the signals have to go from the guitar, to the console, and then back out through your sound system. It’s no different than the latency problem in vocals in Rock Band 3 which have to go through the same path: out of your mouth, into the mic, through the console, then back out of the speakers. This takes time, and you’ll notice a bit of lag between “playing a sound” and “hearing the sound you played”. But the advantage is that your console is in some ways the ultimate super flexible guitar amp in Rocksmith. You can apply effects, pedals, different guitar sounds, etcetera. It’s really cool and it even works during loading screens in the game, you can noodle around on the guitar while you’re waiting. Great stuff.

One permanent workaround for the audio latency is to get a real amplifier and hook it up, like for example the Roland Micro Cube Guitar Amplifier I have. Maybe not for everyone, but it’s definitely authentic, will solve the audio playback latency completely, and heck — shouldn’t you have a guitar amp anyway for your electric guitar?

xbl/gamecenter:

my app:
post #96 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
"One permanent workaround for the audio latency is to get a real amplifier and hook it up, like for example the Roland Micro Cube Guitar Amplifier I have. Maybe not for everyone, but it's definitely authentic, will solve the audio playback latency completely, and heck shouldn't you have a guitar amp anyway for your electric guitar?"

Sorry if my questions is a stupid one; would you plug your guitar into your amp and then your amp to the Xbox?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #97 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

From this preview: http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2011/...ds-on-preview/

I was very worried about latency going in, and I'm happy to say that latency of note detection was not a problem. But there is a latency issue it's just not what I thought it was. When you play electric guitar in Rocksmith, the console is your amplifier. That is, the signals have to go from the guitar, to the console, and then back out through your sound system. It's no different than the latency problem in vocals in Rock Band 3 which have to go through the same path: out of your mouth, into the mic, through the console, then back out of the speakers. This takes time, and you'll notice a bit of lag between playing a sound and hearing the sound you played. But the advantage is that your console is in some ways the ultimate super flexible guitar amp in Rocksmith. You can apply effects, pedals, different guitar sounds, etcetera. It's really cool and it even works during loading screens in the game, you can noodle around on the guitar while you're waiting. Great stuff.

One permanent workaround for the audio latency is to get a real amplifier and hook it up, like for example the Roland Micro Cube Guitar Amplifier I have. Maybe not for everyone, but it's definitely authentic, will solve the audio playback latency completely, and heck shouldn't you have a guitar amp anyway for your electric guitar?

How exactly do you play the game with the usb cable and an amp connected?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #98 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

"One permanent workaround for the audio latency is to get a real amplifier and hook it up, like for example the Roland Micro Cube Guitar Amplifier I have. Maybe not for everyone, but it's definitely authentic, will solve the audio playback latency completely, and heck shouldn't you have a guitar amp anyway for your electric guitar?"

Sorry if my questions is a stupid one; would you plug your guitar into your amp and then your amp to the Xbox?

check out one of the videos in this thread. in one of them, they said the ideal minimal lag method is actually to plug the audio via RCA jacks since there is no audio processing via the standard stereo.
post #99 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have one of the Roland Micro Cube amps that the guy mentions. My model does not have a line out in the back, just 1/4" phone jack which I don't think would work.

I think that the thing to do is just try to get used to the delay. It's not something I've heard complained about in the previews, so maybe it won't be too annoying. It hasn't seemed like a big deal in the videos I've seen.

"
" -- hookbill
post #100 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

ileff ileff
@codinghorror when you played rocksmith and an amp at the same time, you used a y-splitter?
44 minutes ago Favorite Reply Delete

in reply to ↑

@codinghorror
Jeff Atwood
@ileff I actually hadn't thought it through that far, but presumably that's the only way!

xbl/gamecenter:

my app:
post #101 of 410 Old 10-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about when he says to use an amp. Proven by that reply to you.

He just added that as a thought, not actually having done it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #102 of 410 Old 10-14-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.thegamingvault.com/2011/1...smith-setlist/

xbl/gamecenter:

my app:
post #103 of 410 Old 10-14-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

53 songs of which I'm familiar with about 11 (maybe 12 if you count "Jules", one of the bonus songs by one of the RockSmith "Note Trackers". You can see him play that here):

Oh well--I probably knew no more than a third of all the on-disc RB songs that I bought and have end up loving some of those.

"
" -- hookbill
post #104 of 410 Old 10-16-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You know, I hadn't noticed that Amazon isn't listing this with release-day shipping, and they're strangely estimating it to not arrive until the 21th (if they ship it Tuesday it should get here on the Thursday the 20th). Now I'm a little sorry that I didn't spend the extra $6.80 sales tax for a pre-order from Game Stop or Best Buy. (If I ordered from Best Buy I could still get a copy for in-store pickup, but only if I buy it for PS3 and I'd prefer the Xbox version. Oh well).

Strange how Amazon offered no incentive to buy this from them at all. Hopefully their shipping estimate is BS and they ship on Tuesday from someplace nearby by ONTRAC and I get it the next morning . If not, I'm a big boy--I can wait a day or two.

"
" -- hookbill
post #105 of 410 Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm finding that I'm not as interested in learning real guitar as I though I was, as evidenced by my Squier collecting dust while my Ions are getting work again.

I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment, so this game will probably be "ultra niche". Hopefully that's what the developers are expecting and it gets enough sales to warrant good support and DLC follow up.
post #106 of 410 Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Now you're going to hear the non amplified guitar sounds with a tiny lag echo with the amped version through the game. I know those guys are running with the absolute lowest lag possible but that is going to be tricky to get used to.

I have quite a bit of experience using software amps on my PC and outputting to my 5.1 or to headphones and the lag is pretty much negligible. I don't think this will be a real issue unless you are running audio through your TV and it has a bad input lag.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #107 of 410 Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know. I think this is akin to getting a gym membership after the holidays. People pay up, thinking of fulfilling their resolutions. then months go by and they've gone to the gym a handful of times.

it's a niche but is that so bad? people who play dance games fills a niche. I think Ubisoft realizes that the days of music games being mainstream are gone (until the next generation of gamers mature).

and so far sales are quite good. Rocksmith on the 360 is sales ranked at #105 on Amazon. Compare that to Rock Band 3 whose sales rank is #594.

whether Rocksmith goes up from that or goes down from that will depend on reviews and word of mouth. but if they maintained a rank of #105 continuously, that would be pretty good especially since many mainstream titles are ranked well below that number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

I'm finding that I'm not as interested in learning real guitar as I though I was, as evidenced by my Squier collecting dust while my Ions are getting work again.

I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment, so this game will probably be "ultra niche". Hopefully that's what the developers are expecting and it gets enough sales to warrant good support and DLC follow up.

post #108 of 410 Old 10-17-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

and so far sales are quite good. Rocksmith on the 360 is sales ranked at #105 on Amazon. Compare that to Rock Band 3 whose sales rank is #594.

whether Rocksmith goes up from that or goes down from that will depend on reviews and word of mouth. but if they maintained a rank of #105 continuously, that would be pretty good especially since many mainstream titles are ranked well below that number.

I'm seeing that the 360 version is ranked #96 in Video Games (see this); it's only been in the top 100 for a day so it made a leap of at least 5 places a day ago. It's #29 in Xbox games overall. Not too shabby for pre-release.

EDIT: Damn--it was moving up the charts even as I wrote that. Now it's #79 in all video games at Amazon. (Probably even higher by the time I hit "save" ).

"
" -- hookbill
post #109 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 AM

Last week I pre-ordered from Amazon and bit the bullet for one-day shipping since I had a $20 credit from GoW3. I received an email from them last night saying it shipped yesterday so it will arrive today.

Just dusted off the Les Paul, it was almost in tune (it has a tendency to go sharp when it sits), and I am actually excited to get this. Hopefully the enthusiasm will last as I never really progressed with the lessons I took for a couple of years after I bought the guitar in 2001.

XBL/PSN: lespaulstd
post #110 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankrich View Post

Just dusted off the Les Paul, it was almost in tune (it has a tendency to go sharp when it sits), and I am actually excited to get this. Hopefully the enthusiasm will last as I never really progressed with the lessons I took for a couple of years after I bought the guitar in 2001.

I'm pretty excited too. I think I am at a similar level in guitar ability. Was very motivated for maybe 2 years and am pretty "ok" in my ability. After a while the motivation to sit and learn new songs just faded and I haven't really progressed since.

A game like this will be a great way to learn new songs, getting instant feedback in the way of high scores as you progress.

I'm picking this up on PC in hopes that there is a community of people creating tabs for the game. (Even if it requires hacking).

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #111 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Found a first online review, here in Wired's "Geek Dad" column; brief, not going into any huge amount of detail. 9 out of 10 stars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankrich View Post

Last week I pre-ordered from Amazon and bit the bullet for one-day shipping since I had a $20 credit from GoW3. I received an email from them last night saying it shipped yesterday so it will arrive today.

I should have thought to do that! It's only a $4 upgrade from Prime 2-day shipping. Oh well--paitence is a virtue. Strangely they charged me for the thing at midnight--they usually wait until they ship.

"
" -- hookbill
post #112 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Wonder were all the reviews are? This does release today correct?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #113 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

Wonder were all the reviews are? This does release today correct?

Yes, it has released today. I'd expect any publisher moratorium on reviews to be over and the reviews to start popping up, but none of the sites seem to be in any hurry. Of course, it doesn't have the gamer interest level of Batman: Arkham City .

"
" -- hookbill
post #114 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Yes, it has released today. I'd expect any publisher moratorium on reviews to be over and the reviews to start popping up, but none of the sites seem to be in any hurry. Of course, it doesn't have the gamer interest level of Batman: Arkham City .

LOL, I see your point. I wonder if it's more complicated to review this type of "game" since it's more instructional software than game?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #115 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

post #116 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are actually 3 more of those "Guitar World Plays Rocksmith" clips, two more of that same guy learning "Satisfaction" and "Rebel Rebel" and one (posted 3 hours ago) of another guy playing the "Ducks" "Guitarcade" game:

"
" -- hookbill
post #117 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

From Joystiq review: "Rocksmith itself recommends routing the console's audio through an external system"

I must be dense right now..but can someone explain what exactly this means?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #118 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a sheet inside the box that says avoid using hdmi.

I think what they mean is don't go hdmi to tv and then audio out to sound system. I go hdmi to my receiver and then to tv so maybe I'll be ok.

xbl/gamecenter:

my app:
post #119 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I have digital optical running from my Xbox to my receiver, is this okay?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #120 of 410 Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM

Liked: 11
It means to run the audio directly to a receiver via Toslink or component cable rather than thru your TV over HDMI.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page