Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 464

The 5.0 is here
post #93 of 611 Old 08-18-2011, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They just put up the new Exploration Pack for TDU2 so I set Forza 3 aside to play it again. One thing I really like about TDU2 is how you can put your cars in garages and walk around them, open the doors, sit in them and just admire your collection. That's one thing missing from Forza. You just get a picture list of your cars and can only feature one at a time with little interaction. It would be a huge plus if Forza gave us something like a chance to buy or build race shops where you could put your collection.

Autovista looks like a step in that direction however I'm not sure I want to use my kinect to do it. I'd rather use my controller from my race rig and check it out at my own pace.

Either way I'm looking forward to the games release
post #94 of 611 Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

That looks really neat and appears to work well, but I still can't wrap my head around whether or not it would actually be good. You turn your head to the side, but you still have to look straight ahead at the screen. This strikes me as very unnatural. Anyone have direct experience with something like this?

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sain View Post

I don't have any experience with this yet but I think you are over thinking it.

Most likely you won't be turning your head 90 degrees which would make looking at your screen difficult. Try looking straight on at your screen now and then turn your head just a few degrees to the side while keeping your eyes fixed on the screen.

That few degrees should be enough to " turn " your on screen view to see the track turn or maybe a car coming along side but not enough to make viewing the screen difficult. Think more subtle than extreme. I think it would be pretty cool to be able to sit in the car and move your head to look around the interior.

I know these are old posts, but I didn't see any additional responses so thought I'd chip in just in case additional information would be helpful.

I use TrackIR which follows head movements as show in the video with the Kinect. I've used it for both racing and flying games for years now (PC), and it feels amazingly intuitive and really adds to the experience. The movements you need to make are slight, so it never makes if feel odd.

In addition - and I can't tell from this video - TrackIR games will allow you to move forward and backward in your seat, not just side to side. This is pretty cool, since you can look and lean forward, getting that pesky roll bar or door frame out of the way as you drive into an upcoming apex with traffic. Same goes in flight games with TrackIR, you can lean forward, backward in your cockpit.

It's really exciting for me to see this come to the Kinect. It looks like the Kinect will do pretty much everything that TrackIR does, which is awesome. Very cool stuff.

-JR
post #95 of 611 Old 08-18-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 581
man, even though it was camcorded, the color on the car is awesome. *tear*
post #96 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

multiscreen with Forza 4

gamescom interview with Dan Greenawalt

0 - 5:30 autovista with mercedes

5:30 - 08:00
career mode

08:00 -
profile import

09:25 - 10:20
kinect features

10:20 -
community features

11:20 -
car clubs

12:50 -
lighting model
post #97 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
omg. PS: Looks like the "WHEEL?" question has been answered...new Logitech wheel for the Xbox based on Ferrari wheel due out......wonder if it'll have Logitech quality and, hopefully, be backwards compatible.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #98 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 53
News of an Official Ferrari wheel coming in October for 360(via GoogleTranslate):
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanmariegall.com View Post

With a wheel diameter of 28 cm and textured rubber grip drivers will line up over the timed laps in comfort. The reports will go up or down via paddles speed sequential metal. The realism and attention to detail are well illustrated by the presence of a "Manettino" to change some settings in the race as the change seen in Forza Motorsport 4.

Therefore equipment is standard with no less than eight action buttons, a D-Pad "Engine Start", an Xbox Guide button and a headset jack Xbox 360. Under the hood we find a system back to the center
Automatic "Bungee Cord" with progressive resistance of 270 ° for more immersion in the races. The pedal is no exception as benefiting from a large foot rest, a long pedal travel and a brake pedal resistance for greater accuracy.

The Italia Ferrari 458 Racing Wheel for Xbox 360 is made to cross the finish line in mind: the V8 it is the price, aggressive in his image!

The Italia Ferrari 458 Racing Wheel for Xbox 360 will be available in October at an MSRP of 79.99 incl.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #99 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's hoping its backwards compatible but also a "better quality product" like the PS3 has been getting from Logitech for some time. Also if you look at the videos you can see people racing with what appears to be the prototype for this wheel (or preproduction models). Gotta love they are cranking this stuff out with 6 year old hardware....

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #100 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's Thrustmaster that's delivering the new wheel.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/t...th8-rs-shifte/

The Ferrari 458 Italia Racing Wheel for Xbox360 will be available in October at a suggested retail price of $89.99.

Thrustmaster is launching the TH8 RS - a high-end, stand-alone, versatile gearbox. The device's two
configurations - H-pattern and sequential - enable drivers to select their favorite driving style.

The TH8 RS will be available in October at the suggested retail price of $179.99.

post #101 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Gotta love they are cranking this stuff out with 6 year old hardware....

No kidding!!

post #102 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Uh, the comments on Engadget say this wheel wont have any Force Feedback. Um.....are they high?

post #103 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Uh, the comments on Engadget say this wheel wont have any Force Feedback. Um.....are they high?

Oh crap!! Is that what "Automatic 'Bungee Cord' with progressive resistance" was referring to in the Italian article? This seems like the kind of omission only crazy people would make. Maybe there will be another version?

post #104 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

Oh crap!! Is that what "Automatic 'Bungee Cord' with progressive resistance" was referring to in the Italian article? This seems like the kind of omission only crazy people would make. Maybe there will be another version?

Well, it could just be that the term "Force Feedback" is patented at this point, but it could also mean that this is the same type of "System" that was used in the Microsoft Wheels. Not ideal, but certainly not the end of the world.

But yeah, if it doesn't even do what Microsofts wheel did, then you can consider this an epic failure in the making

post #105 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, it could just be that the term "Force Feedback" is patented at this point, but it could also mean that this is the same type of "System" that was used in the Microsoft Wheels. Not ideal, but certainly not the end of the world.

Good point. I hope we get clarification on this soon.

post #106 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Neat wheel, but no clutch, no cross platform = no point
post #107 of 611 Old 08-20-2011, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Neat wheel, but no clutch, no cross platform = no point

It's a Ferrari 458 wheel. There's no clutch pedal in a Ferrari 458. The 458 has a double clutch semi-automatic transmission.
post #108 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
EA Blocks Porsche from Forza 4
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1190649p1.html

Quote:

Porsche cars will not appear in Forza 4, following Electronic Arts' decision to block any deal between the German car's agents and Microsoft.

EA owns the rights to videogame depictions of Porsche cars. In the past, the company has negotiated deals that allowed the cars to appear in games from rival publishers, such as Forza 3.

EA's focus on its Shift driving series and Need for Speed has likely persuaded bosses to keep other games away from the popular Porsche autos.

At the Forza blog, Dan Greenawalt, creative director at the game's developer Turn 10, fumed, "This kills me...Since the beginning of the Forza franchise, the Porsche license has been available only through a sub-licensing deal with EA. In Forza 3, we were able to feature more than 35 different Porsche models by offering to collaborate with EA. For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars. In the end, however, EA couldn't see their way towards collaborating again.

"We've asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.

He added, "In our business, we stay friendly with all of the manufacturers and licensors necessary to deliver players rich and innovative automotive experiences. As you'd expect, this includes quite a few key people in Porsche circles. To make sure we tried everything, we consulted with these advocates and were happy to find they were already aware of the situation and lobbying from within on behalf of Forza 4--and, despite the result, we thank them for their efforts.

"While we respect EA's need to run their business as they see fit, we've regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach."

Could be that the EA move might lead to more auto franchise blocking wars between publishers of racing games. Greenawalt added, "Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we've always found that we just weren't willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem."

XBL: DallasAch
post #109 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

it's EA. what did you expect? they always try to win by monopoly.

i was so disappointed when they locked up exclusivity with the NFL. there were some quality football games out there and now there's only Madden...
post #110 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cortana and the Warthog!!!!!

post #111 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 12:38 PM

For those of you in the Toronto area, Microsoft has put up a promo center, which has a copy (I'm assuming it's the E3 build) of Forza 4 with Kinect running but no wheel.

http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/Community/...entral/toronto

Enjoy!
post #112 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm really disturbed as to the "lack" of discussion in the media about a wheel for this game.......I mean its almost like there is some kind of unspoken conspiracy going on

Did Microsoft lose the right to use whatever technology it had in its wheel? Is Thrustmaster going to be the only wheel option available, and if so what sort of "force feedback" does it actually have? IS it the same as the Microsoft wheel, or is it something really inferior....

I have no idea how you sell a driving game as a sim, and don't have the hardware to support it.

post #113 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wheels just don't get a lot of pub.

the new fanatec wheels will be out for Forza 4 for the diehard hardcore racers. the new Madcatz one is coming out. Microsoft has their new wheel (which I find more promising for flight sims due to the accelerometers). and the aforementioned Thrustmaster.
post #114 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

What!? What is this mythical unicorn Microsoft wheel of which you speak

post #115 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 04:19 PM

I have the old MS wheel right now and I'm satisfied with it. Its hard to imagine the fanatec wheels adding enough to the experience to warrant the extra cost.
In other words, I don't know better

I do know my MS wheel won't last forever so I'm going to have to replace it sometime. I really hope they have an equivalent available and if they don't
I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get one of those Fanatec thingys.
post #116 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

My only problem with the Fantec's is....aren't they a hack? I mean, they aren't an officially licensed part right? I don't mind spending the money on a good wheel but I kinda want to know the thing will "just work" like the M$ one does......the Fantec ones, don't they have issues with some games or is that just something I made up in my head.

Hell I just want a reasonably priced logitech FF wheel for the 360.....no, actually, I'll bet EVERYONE wants that. WTF :P

post #117 of 611 Old 08-26-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.fanatecwheel.com/news/han...sr-elite-wheel

the new wheel (and hydraulic seat) in action:

another view:

post #118 of 611 Old 08-27-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:

My only problem with the Fantec's is....aren't they a hack? I mean, they aren't an officially licensed part right? I don't mind spending the money on a good wheel but I kinda want to know the thing will "just work" like the M$ one does......the Fantec ones, don't they have issues with some games or is that just something I made up in my head.

Hell I just want a reasonably priced logitech FF wheel for the 360.....no, actually, I'll bet EVERYONE wants that. WTF :P

They are properly licensed wheels and definately not a hack. I've had mine for almost and year and have no complaints. If you're really into racing sims then it's worth the investment. I ended up buying it because I wanted to play Forza 3 (I was using the MS Wheel at the time) and GT5.
post #119 of 611 Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadmanInc View Post

They are properly licensed wheels and definately not a hack. I've had mine for almost and year and have no complaints. If you're really into racing sims then it's worth the investment. I ended up buying it because I wanted to play Forza 3 (I was using the MS Wheel at the time) and GT5.

Apologies, I didn't realize this was the case.....and this wheel works with the PS3 as well?

post #120 of 611 Old 08-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Liked: 11
^^^ +1

I've been racing Forza 3 with the Fanatec turbo s wheel, club sport pedals and shifter for over a year and it's been well worth the investment. I'm looking forward to their next crop of racing goodies.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page