AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

I loved, loved, loved the demo.

At first, I thought it really looked nice, but not a huge upgrade in graphics over Forza 3, then I put in Forza 3 and it is a HUGE difference.

I spent maybe 15 hours with Forza 3 and Forza 4, to me, feels a lot faster (sense of speed), and the steering and feedback just feel better - I have the MS Racing wheel.

I thought I could hold off on this until a pricedrop, but I now think this will be a Day 1 if there are compelling deals on it. Funny, as playing the Battlefield 3 beta has almost completely turned me off to the game opposite to the Forza demo. With all the mega-hype over BF3, I was certain it would blow my mind, but it just feels like a BF2 expansion pack. Not that that is a bad thing, just makes me way less excited.

Yeah, once I turned off all the assists I was having a blast just trying to keep that ferarri on the track. The force feedback wheel adds SO much to the experience.

I dunno why they stopped making it. Is there even an adequate replacement?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, once I turned off all the assists I was having a blast just trying to keep that ferarri on the track. The force feedback wheel adds SO much to the experience.

I dunno why they stopped making it. Is there even an adequate replacement?

Exactly, turning off the assists almost makes it an entirely new experience. That first big turn after the bridge I was able to get the Ferrari to fishtail through the entire turn. No way that could be done with just the gamepad.

That said, I also did play it with the gamepad and that too is an improvement over past games. I always felt like I was nudging and making tiny, jerky movements around corners and now it feels smoothed out a lot more.

My one gripe and this has been for all Forza games to date is why can I not adjust the damn brightness/gamma?!?!?! 99.9999% of games now have this standard, so I pray they include it in the final version. It's annoying to have to adjust the setting on my projector just for this game each time I want to play it vs. having it be a saved setting within the game.
post #183 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Exactly, turning off the assists almost makes it an entirely new experience. That first big turn after the bridge I was able to get the Ferrari to fishtail through the entire turn. No way that could be done with just the gamepad.

That said, I also did play it with the gamepad and that too is an improvement over past games. I always felt like I was nudging and making tiny, jerky movements around corners and now it feels smoothed out a lot more.

My one gripe and this has been for all Forza games to date is why can I not adjust the damn brightness/gamma?!?!?! 99.9999% of games now have this standard, so I pray they include it in the final version. It's annoying to have to adjust the setting on my projector just for this game each time I want to play it vs. having it be a saved setting within the game.

Yeah, I definitely crashed into a few things going from blinding light into the shadows. The default gamma is all jacked up.

I don't recall if being an issue in f3 though. Maybe it's just the track with harsh lighting?

post #184 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

On a side note...I don't really follow any sort of racing. Do the pros really race these high end cars around a track without basic stuff like ABS? For some reason it just seems insane to me that a 250k lambo or a race car doesn't have ABS or traction control.

post #185 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 AM

Liked: 10
Played the demo last night with my MS wheel, simulation steering and all assists off. Began with the Zonda which was a blast to drive but ended up driving the 458 Italia because it was fun to drive through traffic.

Spent most of my time trying to figure out how the rivals mode worked. I'd beat the rival to the line but wouldn't get scored or sometime the rival wouldn't even be in the lap.

Final figured out there is a penalty for going off course or hitting something, Basically if you see the blue X to rewind your lap is DQ and I think your next lap is DQ as well. So you have to run a clean lap to be eligible for the next lap to count or at least thats how I think it works.

So then I'd take my time with a clean first lap and then go for it on the second. If I messed up I'd go easy for the next one to get back into contention. Before I was going WFO every lap which meant several laps I wasn't even qualified to beat my rival. Once I got that squared away I was beating my rivals. First score had me around the 16,000 mark and got up to 2,422 on the LB before calling it a night. If i can break into the hundreds I'll be happy.

I will say the cars are super fun to drive and you can slide around the turns and take it to the edge with confidence to recover. We've all played those racing games where the cars seem to be on a pole and pivot. Forza 4 feels real as you throw the car into a turn, feel the backend want to come around and you keep it in control. The full game with its variety of cars and tracks is going to be awesome.
post #186 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 AM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Played the demo last night for a few races and I have to say this is much better than F3 (which I did not care for). I was a big F2 fan for a long long time and the 3 came out and I was very disappointed.

Overall I think this is a good step forward and may have very well enticed me enough to buy the game.

Greg

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #187 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

On a side note...I don't really follow any sort of racing. Do the pros really race these high end cars around a track without basic stuff like ABS? For some reason it just seems insane to me that a 250k lambo or a race car doesn't have ABS or traction control.

Assists are basically illegal in almost all major motor sports. There are also some advantages to turning off abs and traction control. No abs is more stopping power assuming you don't lock them up and traction control gives you more power assuming you aren't letting the tires spin.
post #188 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuycheap View Post

Assists are basically illegal in almost all major motor sports. There are also some advantages to turning off abs and traction control. No abs is more stopping power assuming you don't lock them up and traction control gives you more power assuming you aren't letting the tires spin.

Ah, good to know. Makes sense.

I wonder if the assists in forza function as they do in a real car? Do you have superior stopping power without ABS, more power without TCS/SC or faster shifts under manual trans? Or is it just easy mode without the drawbacks?

post #189 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Everything is "slightly faster" with all assists off. You shift faster with manual, even faster with a clutch, stop faster without ABS, turn quicker with TCS, etc.

I wasn't planning on getting Forza 4 but I just got the demo and may have been swayed.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #190 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post

Everything is "slightly faster" with all assists off. You shift faster with manual, even faster with a clutch, stop faster without ABS, turn quicker with TCS, etc.

I wasn't planning on getting Forza 4 but I just got the demo and after the (IMHO) debacle that is BF3 I may pick this up instead.

Yeah I noticed there's a clutch option now. Too bad the MS wheel only has two pedals. I assume there's a new wheel with a clutch pedal?

I wonder if it's now possible to blow your engine and transmission with a mis-shift at 100 mph.

post #191 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Clutch was available in FM3 as well. There are a few wheels with clutches although most are Fanatec wheels which I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

And yes, you can destroy your engine/transmission by downshifting too far at high speeds, but ONLY if you've got realistic damage on. With cosmetic or tires/fuel it's free engine braking.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #192 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:

While I understand what you are saying, at the risk of sounding pedantic, drivers aids are found throughout racing. Power brakes (I don't think many can apply enough force to the brakes to clamp down on them hard enough to stop a car moving at 120 mph), power steering (I have driven cars without power steering; tough to do), etc.

That said, ABS and traction control are driver aids that can have a primary impact on lap times. They are good for regular Joes and Janes (safety issues), but are usually eschewed in professional racing.

F1 has not had driver aids for a few years now. Le Mans does (traction control).

Is a sequential gearbox a drivers aid? Faster shifts could lead to faster lap times. F1 allows for semi-automatic gearboxes.

It would be nice if F4 had a 'default race' setting where all the aids and controls matched the setup that would be dictated by the rules of the event that the car came from (LM P1 cars set up by default with what the series allows), but I suppose that a dedicated lover of the series can tweak the car's setup to match the racing series.

Street cars usually come with the aids and an option to turn them off, so you can look silly when you take the corner too fast (again, this refers to regular Joes and Janes, not to people who have been to driving school).
post #193 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Clutch was available in FM3 as well. There are a few wheels with clutches although most are Fanatec wheels which I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

And yes, you can destroy your engine/transmission by downshifting too far at high speeds, but ONLY if you've got realistic damage on. With cosmetic or tires/fuel it's free engine braking.

The negative technical support and quality of Fanatec products is a highly over blown issue. I sent a video of my wheel when it broke and they sent me a new one within a week and that was over a year ago.

In addition now that they hired Darin from Inside Sim Racing they are trending upward in the area of tech support according to many users on the gtplanet forum.

But you can can choose whatever product you want.

Quote:

TCS doesn't make you turn faster or slower.
post #194 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So what is a good wheel out there that doesnt cost me my first born? I still have my MS force feedback wheel for my PC and still love it.
post #195 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 PM

i am buying it for sure!
post #196 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The negative technical support and quality of Fanatec products is a highly over blown issue. I sent a video of my wheel when it broke and they sent me a new one within a week and that was over a year ago.

I know of several people who had their first run crop of Porsche Turbo S wheels sent broken, with missing parts, etc. Heck, they shipped the wheel to the early adopters and then updated it and left their "fans" high and dry. Maybe that's changed in the past two years but I won't support them based on their prior practices.

In addition now that they hired Darin from Inside Sim Racing they are trending upward in the area of tech support according to many users on the gtplanet forum.

Quote:

TCS doesn't make you turn faster or slower.

No, but you will have the ability to take corners more quickly as the TCS will kill your power mid-turn if you get close to the limit.

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #197 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

I know of several people who had their first run crop of Porsche Turbo S wheels sent broken, with missing parts, etc. Heck, they shipped the wheel to the early adopters and then updated it and left their "fans" high and dry. Maybe that's changed in the past two years but I won't support them based on their prior practices.

No, but you will have the ability to take corners more quickly as the TCS will kill your power mid-turn if you get close to the limit.

Well I was a first gen Fanatec owner and can speak from experience.

My wheel did arrive with an issue but it did get ironed out relatively quickly (missing cable and broken piece).

The wheel itself was excellent. Well made and worked great, way better than that thing MS put out. Was it worth all the money ... maybe, maybe not but there were no alternatives for the 360 then this one so it was a take it or leave it.

The pedals -- AWESOME! I had the Clubsport pedals and they were fantastic. Frankly I can't see having any wheel w/o them they are that good.

The shifter - cheap plastic crap but it worked.

Support -- Complete f'in garbage. Could they do things differently yes as their support and customer service sucked balls and they really screwed everyone who preordered IMHO. We were all supposed to get a copy of Forza 3 when we bought the wheel. Guess what NO ONE got one. Instead the SOBs gave you a $50 credit to their store. Not a $50 refund.

Problem was ... NOTHING on their site was $50!! So guess what they got more business off of it. That really rubbed me the wrong way ... big time!

I sold my racing setup off earlier this year and do regret it but I wasn't using it since I disliked F3 so much and I didn't really have time to practice, practice, practice for the race nights with kabob and others so I gave it up.

That being said I am actually considering getting F4 and getting a new wheel to be honest. I doubt I will do it anytime soon though since I am busy with other things MW3 will be out soon enough and eating up my time (and Batman AC as well).

Still F4 looks like a good solid game.

Greg

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #198 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:

My wheel PWTS was in the first batch. Any updates available on the GT2 can be applied to the PWTS as they are essentially identical save for the rim so who exactly is high and dry. The only missing parts were usually the pedal adapters so that you could use g2x or xbox wheel pedals and only a small minority even used those.

Again the choice is yours you can chose whatever product you want.

Quote:

Not really. You power out of corners not during them so TCS is not much of a factor there as you are already pretty much heading straight and are then slowed down by tcs. If you mean sweepers you might have a point but either way the main difference is access to power not "makes you turn faster".
post #199 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Much better than the last version imo. I haven't read a whole lot so I don't know what all the game has to offer, but so far I like it. Are their customizations etc. or am I just driving production cars?
post #200 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 570
can someone answer this question for me?

I see the global settings for driving assists and options. But are these set based on that individual car's feature set? for example, if a real world car has no ABS, the game's car will have no ABS as well so that the global setting doesn't matter for that car? in other words, if you're driving an old car that has no traction control/assist, it would do you no good to set that setting to "on" for that car?
post #201 of 611 Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

While we're on the subject of wheels, has anyone had any success getting a MS Wireless Wheel repaired? There was an issue with overheating PCBs, and MS sent out retrofit replacement parts, but that was a few years ago. I just faxed in the retrofit form but haven't heard back.

I've also taken apart the wheel and traced the problem to an inductor and capacitor on the power supply board that are blown out, but I have no clue how to fix it.

My reddit post describing the problem

XBL: dibs ODDJOB
Wiii: Fibonacci-sequence-like numbers
post #202 of 611 Old 10-05-2011, 02:56 AM

Best lap: 1:53.502 - Ferrari, all assists off, manual tranny, hard opponent, no rewinds, inside car, regular controller.
post #203 of 611 Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Can anyone help? I tried to copy Forza 3 over to a 16 gig thumb drive, and in the process it somehow lost my driver profile. Now when I start the game it is starting me at the beginning. I was level 50 with 75% complete, 7 mil+ credits and over 150 cars. When I view the hard drive it looks like everything is still there. I was hoping not to lose everything so I don’t have to start from scratch in Forza 4. Is there a way to recover my old driver profile, or do I just have to start over?
Thanks in advance.
post #204 of 611 Old 10-05-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Wow, the demo left me speechless :O fan freaking tastic!
post #205 of 611 Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Hello racing fans I dont post much here, but im rather a sponge for the amount of knowledge I gleen from here. You all might have seen this ad on tv (ive seen it once watching the ALMS race this past week). Here is the link to a great ummm game trailer if you will...
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/en...orsport/721681
Warning: it is NOT gameplay footage, it is just a commercial but it none the less sparked even more anticipation for the release of the game, at least to me.
I'm not one to USUALLY feel this way about a game, maybe I am a in the closet fanboy for forza

On the subject of Fanatec wheels, my PWTS hsa been bullet proof. I feel for the people that have had issues in the past with the company and/or their products. *MY* experience with the company has been nothing but positive. Hope to see you all on the track some day!
post #206 of 611 Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno21 View Post

Best lap: 1:53.502 - Ferrari, all assists off, manual tranny, hard opponent, no rewinds, inside car, regular controller.

All night and finally got: 1:52.689

All the same specs as above except difficulty on professional this time. That's all I got man. No way I can go faster. I'm sure you guys with wheels will smoke that time.

Edit* 1:52.131 lol. Had to try again. I'm done now. Lol
post #207 of 611 Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is it me or is the kinect functionality not turned on for the demo?
post #208 of 611 Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsimm2 View Post

Is it me or is the kinect functionality not turned on for the demo?

No it isn't turned on for the demo. Less than a week to go though.

The 5.0 is here
post #209 of 611 Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
post #210 of 611 Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Xboxer360 gave more Kinect details in their review:

http://www.xboxer360.com/reviews/rev...-motorsport-4/

summary on the kinect points:

kinect-only mode is where the game handles the acceleration and braking and you steer with your arms. it can have 2-player splitscreen mode. you can initiate manual braking in addition to automatic braking if you stick your leg forward

kinect navigation via hand is not good. kinect navigation via voice is awesome. with voice, you can directly jump into any mode or menu at any time without having to press A, A, A, etc. or go thru nested menus. luckily, you don't have to memorize voice commands as they show on the screen.

he preferred the interactivity in Autovista with the Kinect versus the controller. to unlock autovista cars, using the Kinect to complete challenges made unlocking them easier (b/c the Kinect mode is easier to play?)

headtracking was awesome. you can adjust sensitivity as well as manually remove objects behind you that could interfere with the tracking. feels like being in a real car and is especially helping for high speed drifts.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page