Portal 2 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 126 Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
FYI, according to this link, Play N Trade is cutting Portal 2 to $40 for a week. Hopefully others follow suit, as I have a $25 GC To Gamestop..

http://botchweed.com/game-news/porta...op-coming-soon

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 126 Old 04-27-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I read on CAG that p2 will be $40 at gamestop next week

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=293205
post #93 of 126 Old 04-28-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I bought the game Saturday and finished the single player last night; I'd say it took me about 7-8 hours. Overall I enjoyed the game but there were a few things I wish had been different:

- All the portal games have a general sparseness and static feeling to them that sometimes draws me out of the experience and hampers the feeling that you're in a "real" world. You're completely alone and other than the occasional quip from GlaDOS or Heatley much of the game is silent. This was especially true during the Cave Johnson section of Portal 2 where you had the enormous levels and practically nothing or no one to interact with. It would have been nice if you came across some other characters (maybe past test subjects who couldn't make it out) or machines that could have provided some interaction and advanced the story.

- While nearly every level could be solved without dying if you took your time and studied your environment, the final encounter quickly degenerated into a "try and die" exercise, especially with the final object you had to manipulate. I thought that was kind of weak actually.

- The character you control has all the history and personality of a potato; while the focus of the game is squarely on the puzzles I think a little more background info and fleshing out of the main character would have made her (and thus the game) more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game and will definitely revisit some of the puzzles but I just think it could have benefitted from having a little more meat on its bones.

You're missing the point... or maybe the point missed you, either way: Valve has long supported the silent protagonist. Gabe Newell once referred to Gordon Freeman (only the hero of their biggest franchise) as "two gloves and a crowbar". By making the character a blank slate with no voice of their own Valve believes that the player can more easily pour themselves into the character and their situation-- it's a position that is often debated as some (such as yourself) feel that the limitations of a mute central character create a narrative chasm that actually keeps them from feeling immersed in the experience.

I lean towards Valve's way of thinking. I like my character to be a 'blank' so that I can fill in my own emotions/responses to what is happening on-screen. You know who else does? Infinity Ward. All the IW produced Call of Duty games have dropped you into the boots of a mute grunt and let you fill in the gaps with your own interpretations of the events happening around you. When I first played Black Ops I was shocked and dismayed that 3arc chose not to continue this tradition-- every time my character spoke the voice seemed alien and it totally took me out of the game. Many times I had trouble discerning if it was my character or another who was talking!

To each his own but I can certainly understand why this would bother you.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #94 of 126 Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Actualy the game hints a lot of background for the main charecter if you just pay attention and look closely. For instance:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
CHell is the daughter(maybe adopted) of Cave Johnson and Caroline). Proof lies in the translated lyrics of the turret opera at the end. Chell's signature on the overgrown potato battery experiment(alex vance did one too) before you overthrow glados. and the hidden portrait of cave and caroline in the later parts of the cave johnson sequences. Plus the fact if you look at portal 1 and 2 as a tale of an over manipulative motehr refusing to let her daughter leave teh nest it just makes more sense.
post #95 of 126 Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post
Actualy the game hints a lot of background for the main charecter if you just pay attention and look closely. For instance:
Spoiler  
CHell is the daughter(maybe adopted) of Cave Johnson and Caroline). Proof lies in the translated lyrics of the turret opera at the end. Chell's signature on the overgrown potato battery experiment(alex vance did one too) before you overthrow glados. and the hidden portrait of cave and caroline in the later parts of the cave johnson sequences. Plus the fact if you look at portal 1 and 2 as a tale of an over manipulative motehr refusing to let her daughter leave teh nest it just makes more sense.
also they mention
Spoiler  
take your daughter to work day in 1 and 2, I never noticed the potato signatures, will have to look at it again when i play through with commentary
post #96 of 126 Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
You're missing the point... or maybe the point missed you, either way: Valve has long supported the silent protagonist. Gabe Newell once referred to Gordon Freeman (only the hero of their biggest franchise) as "two gloves and a crowbar". By making the character a blank slate with no voice of their own Valve believes that the player can more easily pour themselves into the character and their situation-- it's a position that is often debated as some (such as yourself) feel that the limitations of a mute central character create a narrative chasm that actually keeps them from feeling immersed in the experience.

I lean towards Valve's way of thinking. I like my character to be a 'blank' so that I can fill in my own emotions/responses to what is happening on-screen. You know who else does? Infinity Ward. All the IW produced Call of Duty games have dropped you into the boots of a mute grunt and let you fill in the gaps with your own interpretations of the events happening around you. When I first played Black Ops I was shocked and dismayed that 3arc chose not to continue this tradition-- every time my character spoke the voice seemed alien and it totally took me out of the game. Many times I had trouble discerning if it was my character or another who was talking!

To each his own but I can certainly understand why this would bother you.
I have read that about Valve's games and understand where they (and you) are coming from. Ironically, of all the Call of Duty games, I actually enjoyed Black Ops the most, probably because I tend to prefer games with a more well defined central character whom I happen to be controlling. Conversely, I never finished any of the Half-Life games; while they were technically well done I never got drawn in to them and lost interest about 2/3 of the way thru each one (and if I get that far in a game, I tend to want to finish it).

As you said, neither approach is necessarily better and it all comes down to personal preference.
post #97 of 126 Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have read that about Valve's games and understand where they (and you) are coming from. Ironically, of all the Call of Duty games, I actually enjoyed Black Ops the most, probably because I tend to prefer games with a more well defined central character whom I happen to be controlling.

As you said, neither approach is necessarily better and it all comes down to personal preference.
What's the point when in COD half of your charecters just get shot in the head eventually.
post #98 of 126 Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post
What's the point when in COD half of your charecters just get shot in the head eventually.
While that's definitely true of most CoD games, that really wasn't the case in Black Ops. Other than for a few brief instances, you controlled Mason and advanced his story from start to finish.
post #99 of 126 Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While that's definitely true of most CoD games, that really wasn't the case in Black Ops. Other than for a few brief instances, you controlled Mason and advanced his story from start to finish.
I'm not playing COD anymore but that's cool.
post #100 of 126 Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/28/po...-pc-at-gamest/

for anyone on the fence about buying p2
post #101 of 126 Old 04-29-2011, 05:36 PM

I was just at my Block Buster looking for a movie and saw that all seven copies of Portal 2 were available on the shelf. I've been watching this thread and everyone
seems to love the game so it was kind of weird to see nobody renting it.

While I have the Orange Box I never tried Portal so I think I'll hunt my copy down and play it and by then the price should be worth the purchase of Portal 2.

I hope it's as fun as you all make it out to be.
post #102 of 126 Old 04-29-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The ending was fantastic.

This is game of the year for me (so far)

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #103 of 126 Old 04-29-2011, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 319
This is fun.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #104 of 126 Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

This game has actually caused me to cease playing Crysis2 for the moment. That says a lot about this game. Glados causes me to burst out laughing all the time.

I've got some stuff.
post #105 of 126 Old 05-01-2011, 12:22 AM

Liked: 93
post #106 of 126 Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...Id=1000208101#

$35! You go buy now!

I just did
post #107 of 126 Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
thx for lolz...

Are we having fun yet?
post #108 of 126 Old 05-02-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Who wants to co-op with me?
post #109 of 126 Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 AM

I'm game for some co-op. DieHardCubFN

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.net

XBL and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #110 of 126 Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Spoiler  
holy ****, putting the portal on the moon was awesome

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #111 of 126 Old 05-22-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I just read The Final Hours of Portal 2 (now that it was released on Steam), and I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. I mean, I know it was only $2, but they had a bunch of interesting factoids that they never expanded on for more than a few sentences.

There was just nothing at all in any detail, and pretty much all the information in it was stuff I had already known about / read online.

I mean, I've seen online magazines for $2 an issue, but this was practically one magazine article for that cost.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #112 of 126 Old 05-22-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

I just read The Final Hours of Portal 2 (now that it was released on Steam), and I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. I mean, I know it was only $2, but they had a bunch of interesting factoids that they never expanded on for more than a few sentences.

There was just nothing at all in any detail, and pretty much all the information in it was stuff I had already known about / read online.

I mean, I've seen online magazines for $2 an issue, but this was practically one magazine article for that cost.

I thought it was extremely well put together and it kept me busy for 90 minutes.

The stories were interesting to me as I did not follow the development of the game.

post #113 of 126 Old 05-22-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, to each his own, I guess.

I just feel like I got more information in a single article of Nintendo Power back in the early days when I used to subscribe, and it's very wordy but doesn't really say enough about anything. The individual snippets were interesting, but I found myself wanting actual detail on them, not just a mention in passing before rambling on to something else.

I mean, the stuff that is actually interesting, the facts and not the narrative story that he's trying to force it into, could fit in a ten page magazine article, while this format had the opportunity to really go into detail.

Not only that, the layout kind of bothered me too. Does it really make sense to have a page break with two videos in the middle, before you can finish the end of the sentence? I mean, the experimenting with the format is great, but there has to be a more coherent way to have it laid out.

post #114 of 126 Old 05-22-2011, 06:19 PM

"but this was practically one magazine article for that cost."

Now that is some quality exaggeration. At worst it is roughly ten regular sized articles, without advertising pages. If one were to print it, you'd end up with about half a regular issue of Wired, for about half the price of a copy of Wired. If you didn't like the content, fine, but don't undersell the volume of content so blatantly.

I would also imagine that the transition from it's native iPad to a mouse interface would degrade the quality of the experience.
post #115 of 126 Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"but this was practically one magazine article for that cost."

Now that is some quality exaggeration. At worst it is roughly ten regular sized articles, without advertising pages. If one were to print it, you'd end up with about half a regular issue of Wired, for about half the price of a copy of Wired. If you didn't like the content, fine, but don't undersell the volume of content so blatantly.

I would also imagine that the transition from it's native iPad to a mouse interface would degrade the quality of the experience.

It was done in AIR so you could drag and drop, but I have a touchscreen Windows tablet anyway, so it was pretty much identical to the iPad.

As for the length, it was 15,000 words according to the description, but the amount of factual detail could easily be condensed to at the very least half of that.

I don't know, I mean it's obvious I'm in the minority, but there just wasn't enough there as far as I'm concerned. Maybe he had unprecedented access, it just feels like there's nothing to show for it, except for a few mentions of a game that he can't talk about the actual game, just the abstract idea of it, because they might be using it in their next game.

I might be selling it a little short, but I guess really I just expected more from the description, when the description pretty much tells you everything that the 'book' will. There was some neat stuff (like I loved the different versions of the end song), and it was only $2, but it just left me wanting more.

Now to go back and play the game again with developer commentary.

post #116 of 126 Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any action in this game??? I have played about 10 min and all its been is annoying puzzles.. Is the whole game like this?
post #117 of 126 Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekinMerrick View Post

Is there any action in this game??? I have played about 10 min and all its been is annoying puzzles.. Is the whole game like this?

lol. Research fail.

Yes, its a puzzle game.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
post #118 of 126 Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Wow.
post #119 of 126 Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekinMerrick View Post

Seriously??? Lol

post #120 of 126 Old 06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I rented it from the library... Does it get interesting? Or do I just throw boxes threw portals for 20 hours? I knew it was a puzzle game..
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page