post #91 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

You are comparing apples to oranges as none of those are the same kind of headphones as the PX5.
The PX5s have onboard audio processing, which makes them sort of a "smart" headphone that you can program, change EQ, etc...
Most of your typical stereo headphones do not have those features.
They PX5s are made for gaming, most headphones are made for listening music.
So while the quality of the speakers and drivers might be similar the fact that there is a computer chip in the PX5s effecting the way the audio sounds makes it stand apart from the rest.

I's hardly consider "beats" audiophile but okay. I did the same thing, refused to sacrifice AQ for wireless... committed to stick with audiophile grade headphones and deal with the clutter. End result = NOT WORTH IT!!!

I've used HD800, D7000, LCD-2, DT880, k702, the list goes on. The K702 were the best for gaming and probably the least comfortable of all I tried. The bottom line is these top tier cans were not designed for gaming and like anything in audio good gear can still have bad synergy when combined. Using the mixamp was an art but I had fewer issues with it than Jammy.

I'm looking at the TB's and have reservations about feedback but if it's a problem I'll return them. After gaming so much with different headphones and wires and mics, etc. I am very very ready to have nothing but my xbox controller and the headphones. No wires between me and the HT and no damn chat cable... freedom!!! Hopefully it will perform at its price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisahmed View Post

Hi I know these don't support DTS what would be a way around it. My Intention is to use them with a Blu Ray player as well as the xbox (Gaming should be fine as its Dolby Digital)
Most of the Blu Rays I watch recently have DTS-MA so I can get the DTS core audio out through optical. I know there is a way to do this on PS3 but unfortunately I don't intend to buy a PS3. Has anyone tried a DTS signal on these what happens? My Older Pioneer SIR-800C accepts both but is on its last legs and replacement headset is almost the same price as these so I would rather get the PX5 but would like to know all the potential issues.

Core audio would be the DD track not DTS and you should be able to get that using the optical out of the BR player or the standard audio red and white outs (assuming the TB base has those inputs).

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I've had my PX5s since launch, tried the Mixamp+Astro A40s before that, and have never had any problems.
Love the way they sound, the way they feel, the fact that the EQ is customizable, and the way they integrate via bluetooth with my Macbook, iPhone, etc...

Many people complain about "hissing" but very few actually try to find a solution. If you check the TB CS forums for answers you'll find everything you need to know. The truth though is that if you have interference it's your own damn fault for having too many devices on the same RF as the PX5s.

BTW - I found the Mixamp to be a joke. It's not made for ppl who care about audio quality.
While it is on the right RF it's a piss poor device for the simple reason that you don't have individual controls over all your audio incoming sources.
On the PX5s you can control the game volume, the chat volume, and the Bluetooth volume individually giving you the ability to truly "mix" the audio you hear.
You can't do that on the Mixamp though.
All you get is fader knob is a joke and a master volume.
Anyone who knows anything or cares about game audio would never buy a unit like this.

Jammy what preset are you using?
post #93 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I've had my PX5s since launch, tried the Mixamp+Astro A40s before that, and have never had any problems.
Love the way they sound, the way they feel, the fact that the EQ is customizable, and the way they integrate via bluetooth with my Macbook, iPhone, etc...

Many people complain about "hissing" but very few actually try to find a solution. If you check the TB CS forums for answers you'll find everything you need to know. The truth though is that if you have interference it's your own damn fault for having too many devices on the same RF as the PX5s.

BTW - I found the Mixamp to be a joke. It's not made for ppl who care about audio quality.
While it is on the right RF it's a piss poor device for the simple reason that you don't have individual controls over all your audio incoming sources.
On the PX5s you can control the game volume, the chat volume, and the Bluetooth volume individually giving you the ability to truly "mix" the audio you hear.
You can't do that on the Mixamp though.
All you get is fader knob is a joke and a master volume.
Anyone who knows anything or cares about game audio would never buy a unit like this.

Whoa, guy. Take a chill-pill. You don't have to get defensive over your own PX5.

My own turtle beach experiences were from a DPX21 and a friend's wireless xbox turtle beach headset. I've also heard various reviews about the PX5 not being too far off compared to them on the raw audio quality department, the major difference they have being they can be EQ'd.

The mixamp is the most well-regarded gaming amp with dolby headphone over on head-fi, and I'd tend to agree with them that it's a quality product. There's no need to mix your game volume if the headphone you're using is already crystal clear in its audio and soundstage presentation-- aka AK701/DT880/HD598 etc.

You can have your opinion on your turtle beaches, but it's only your opinion. I'm just sharing my personal experiences I've had with turtle beach products that could otherwise lead people into a different direction for gaming audio-- perhaps one more desirable to them.
post #94 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Core audio would be the DD track not DTS and you should be able to get that using the optical out of the BR player or the standard audio red and white outs (assuming the TB base has those inputs).

Woah, have to point out that this information is incorrect!

First of all, DD would not be the "core" track on a DTS-MA disc-- DTS would be the "core" track on a DTS-MA disc. While it's true that SOME bluray discs offer both a DTS and DD track-- it's far from the norm.
One of my issues with bluray is that it has no set standard for audio format. DVD and HDDVD both accepted DD as the standard format with DTS as an option. With bluray it can be DD, DTS or any combination of the two. My issue is that I live in an apartment and DTS has yet to adopt a built-in dynamic range compression system or even a simulated surround for headphone (ala Dolby Headphone). The optical out is going to transmit either DD or DTS-- whatever is on the disc.

Second, you cannot get DD sound out of the red and white phono outputs on your player. The best you would be able to achieve would be Dolby Surround.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #95 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I's hardly consider "beats" audiophile but okay. I did the same thing, refused to sacrifice AQ for wireless... committed to stick with audiophile grade headphones and deal with the clutter. End result = NOT WORTH IT!!!

I've used HD800, D7000, LCD-2, DT880, k702, the list goes on. The K702 were the best for gaming and probably the least comfortable of all I tried. The bottom line is these top tier cans were not designed for gaming and like anything in audio good gear can still have bad synergy when combined. Using the mixamp was an art but I had fewer issues with it than Jammy.

I'm looking at the TB's and have reservations about feedback but if it's a problem I'll return them. After gaming so much with different headphones and wires and mics, etc. I am very very ready to have nothing but my xbox controller and the headphones. No wires between me and the HT and no damn chat cable... freedom!!! Hopefully it will perform at its price point.

Thanks for your input but the Core Audio from DTS-MA is DTS and not DD (why would they promote a rival) . I have checked it as the DTS light goes up on my Pio SIR-800C when I play a Blu Ray and listen to it with on my wireless headset. DTS explains it on the DTS-MA specs on their website.
http://www.dts.com/DTS_Audio_Formats...ter_Audio.aspx
This headset looks like will meet the need for gaming but I do see an issue with movie watching especially for Blu Rays as many films are coming out with DTS-MA.
post #96 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the correction. Obviously been a while since I've run the core track through the mixamp and headphones so perhaps I was mixing up my lossless codecs apologies. If the mixamp or whatever you are using does the processing what is it doing to an incoming track that is already 5.1 vs stereo? Assuming you are getting the core track via optical it would be best to simply pass through the unmolested track just adding the amplification. I wonder if it does it's own decoding and processing regardless?

I've used my mixamp (when I owned one) for some bluray movies using the optical out and sometimes it worked and sometimes not, probably like you say no DTS so any movie the the DTS-HD MA track would be a no go. I eventually scrapped to whole goal concluding that the improvement in the SQ dept was negligible and often resulted in recessed dialogue even if the illusion of surround sound was a bit better than the headphone out of my Denon. That said I only use headphones for movies as a very last resort, those lossless tracks deserve full range speakers and a properly calibrated HT when possible.

My Rig

post #97 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the correction. Obviously been a while since I've run the core track through the mixamp and headphones so perhaps I was mixing up my lossless codecs apologies. If the mixamp or whatever you are using does the processing what is it doing to an incoming track that is already 5.1 vs stereo? Assuming you are getting the core track via optical it would be best to simply pass through the unmolested track just adding the amplification. I wonder if it does it's own decoding and processing regardless?

I've used my mixamp (when I owned one) for some bluray movies using the optical out and sometimes it worked and sometimes not, probably like you say no DTS so any movie the the DTS-HD MA track would be a no go. I eventually scrapped to whole goal concluding that the improvement in the SQ dept was negligible and often resulted in recessed dialogue even if the illusion of surround sound was a bit better than the headphone out of my Denon. That said I only use headphones for movies as a very last resort, those lossless tracks deserve full range speakers and a properly calibrated HT when possible.

Well sir I concur I would prefer to use speakers as well but some of us are not lucky to have a dedicated space or live in a house for that matter. I do like to watch Blu Rays on my speakers but there are times I can't do that as I live in a condo (hence the Pio SIR-800c) I am just trying to find a headset that will meet my needs (Pio wireless set does it with flying colors mind you but the headset design is flawed and is prone to being broken so I don't want to invest in the same set again)
post #98 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisahmed View Post

Well sir I concur I would prefer to use speakers as well but some of us are not lucky to have a dedicated space or live in a house for that matter. I do like to watch Blu Rays on my speakers but there are times I can't do that as I live in a condo (hence the Pio SIR-800c) I am just trying to find a headset that will meet my needs (Pio wireless set does it with flying colors mind you but the headset design is flawed and is prone to being broken so I don't want to invest in the same set again)

In that case I would recommend something from the Dennon family - D2000, 5000, or 7000. I have owned a lot of headphones and used a variety of combos for movies and I'd take the D7000 over anything else. They are the only ones I've heard that really reproduce that HT like low frequency extension and impact without too much depreciation in the rest of the frequency spectrum. They would not however be my first choice for gaming so FWIW.

My Rig

post #99 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 PM

I use my own pair of D2000 sometimes for games and movies-- with the mixamp's dolby headphone to expand its soundstage and make it surround.

They will definitely give you the theater-like rumble from deep sub-bass, and provide a little. They are very crisp and detailed for being a closed headphone, but for pure sound-whoring on games, they're not as good as something that's much more open and airy with less emphasis on bass. Great cans they are, I really enjoy mine.
post #100 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In that case I would recommend something from the Dennon family - D2000, 5000, or 7000. I have owned a lot of headphones and used a variety of combos for movies and I'd take the D7000 over anything else. They are the only ones I've heard that really reproduce that HT like low frequency extension and impact without too much depreciation in the rest of the frequency spectrum. They would not however be my first choice for gaming so FWIW.

That's a wired set and on the pricey side if money no object I would go for Smyth Virtual Surround (SVS) solution Looking for a wireless solution hence PX5 was considered preferably something below $500
post #101 of 176 Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

I use my own pair of D2000 sometimes for games and movies-- with the mixamp's dolby headphone to expand its soundstage and make it surround.

They will definitely give you the theater-like rumble from deep sub-bass, and provide a little. They are very crisp and detailed for being a closed headphone, but for pure sound-whoring on games, they're not as good as something that's much more open and airy with less emphasis on bass. Great cans they are, I really enjoy mine.

Agreed, I never owned the D2000 but I know they all share the same general signature. I used them for gaming for a while because I didn't want to buy "gaming" cans and wanted to use my reference music headphones for music, movies, and add games to it. They'll get the job done but way too much bass and pretty poor directional queues as well.

elvisahmed - I've not heard the PX5 so can't comment but seem to be plenty of positive review so give em a go and return them if they suck. If this is for movies only I'd probably look at the wireless mixamp and a pair of DT880s (close to wireless as I can get ya with stuff I've heard). The DT880's are a great can for everything... All music sounds pretty goof with them but the shine with acoustic, jazz, Cuban/Salsa, etc. They rock for movies, nice airy open soundstage and not as much bass as the Denon's but plenty to give those moments the weight they need. For games they would be my second favorite, K702 being better for gaming but uncomfortable for me and lack bass quantity so make the a pony with only a couple tricks. So a 2 stop shop would be wireless mixamp-DTT880 for a music, game, movie, keep it down at night guy

My Rig

post #102 of 176 Old 10-26-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those using the PX5 what preset are you guys using? did you created one? what did you change?

Yesterday i downloaded a Bass boost EQ from the website and while it sounds good i get a pop every once in a while a Bass pop.
This never happened with other presets.
post #103 of 176 Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I've only had mine for about 2 weeks. I usually use Main, or presets 3 or 4. I still need to figure out how to optimize these things. I'm mainly using them in GOW3 and BF3.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #104 of 176 Old 10-31-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracat View Post

I've only had mine for about 2 weeks. I usually use Main, or presets 3 or 4. I still need to figure out how to optimize these things. I'm mainly using them in GOW3 and BF3.

i have settle in main. I think these are the most original sound possible.
THe rest may sound good at some moments but they sound kinda fake/unbalance.
post #105 of 176 Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21 View Post

i have settle in main. I think these are the most original sound possible.
THe rest may sound good at some moments but they sound kinda fake/unbalance.

Of course they sound "fake/unbalanced".
They are designed to highlight different frequencies, not to sound normal.

Preset 1 = normal.
everything else = highlights a different part of the audio spectrum.

I've used 1 & 4 a lot.
I've used the others after tweaking them a bit to my liking.
post #106 of 176 Old 11-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Liked: 10
Hey, can anyone help me with the px 5s'? I won a set on ebay and I'm now trying to activate them on my ps3. I followed the user manuals directions, paired the headset to the transmitter, the bluetooth is actually working in call of duty but I have no game sound in the headphones. I also tried to connect the headphones to my bedroom tv via av wires and no luck there either. Any help would be appreciated.
post #107 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 AM

Yo, MW3 presets for the 360. When I find the voice prompts, I'll post em

http://www.cybergamer.com.au/forums/...-MW3-presets!/

XBL: Pakman3000 of the mighty mighty USMG

Juicer:

http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums/...-boosting.html
post #108 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rell323 View Post

Sweet. Thanks for the link.

Gamertag - G0ldMembeI2
PS3 ID - G0ldMembeI2
post #109 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I might return my Deltas for the XP500 with this. Save some $$. I'm very new to this and had to open some Windows OS on my Mac to download the TB software, how does this work?

My Rig

post #110 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I might return my Deltas for the XP500 with this. Save some $$. I'm very new to this and had to open some Windows OS on my Mac to download the TB software, how does this work?

Are you talking about the general interface/editor?
It's very, very simple to use.

This should help, even though it's on a PC...

BTW - if you have any questions abut the PX5/XP500 here's where all the answers are:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/i...ategoryID=1119

It's organized well so you shouldn't have trouble finding what you need.

One more thing....here are the specs for the XP500s:

Quote:

50mm diameter speakers with neodymium magnets
Digital Wireless RF carrier reception (2.404-2.476GHz)
Bluetooth radio with dual-pairing mode and A2DP compatibility
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz, >120dB SPL @ 1kHz
Condenser Microphone Frequency Response: 50Hz - 15kHz
Headphone Amplifier: Stereo 27mW/ch, THD <1%
Digital Signal Processor for independently controlled chat, game and mic signals
USB port for programming the DSP via a Windows XP/Vista/7 computer
Operates on two (2) AA batteries or two (2) AA rechargeable NiMH batteries
Automatic shut down after approx 5 minutes of carrier loss or silence to conserve battery power
Battery booster circuit extends battery life for up to 15 hours
Weight: 7.9 Oz (233g)

Deltas:

Quote:

50mm diameter speakers with neodymium magnets
Digital Wireless RF carrier reception (2.404-2.476GHz)
Bluetooth radio with dual-pairing mode and A2DP compatibility
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz, > 120dB SPL @ 1kHz
Condenser Microphone Frequency Response: 50Hz - 15kHz
Headphone Amplifier: Stereo 27mW/ch, THD < 1%
Digital Signal Processor for independently controlled chat, game and mic signals
USB port for programming the DSP via a Windows XP/Vista/7 computer
Operates on two (2) AA batteries or two (2) AA rechargeable NiMH batteries
Automatic shut down after approx 5 minutes of carrier loss or silence to conserve battery power
Battery booster circuit extends battery life for up to 15 hours

Same specs, just one is MW3 branded and the other isn't.
I bolded the most important part of the specs, the RF.
This is the only place the TB headphones fall down for me because the 2.4GHz range is so crowded in the modern home.
I hope they take a page from Astro's book and go to the 5.8GHz range like the Mixamp 5.8.
post #111 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you talking about the general interface/editor?
It's very, very simple to use.

This should help, even though it's on a PC...

BTW - if you have any questions abut the PX5/XP500 here's where all the answers are:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/i...ategoryID=1119

It's organized well so you shouldn't have trouble finding what you need.

One more thing....here are the specs for the XP500s:

Deltas:

Same specs, just one is MW3 branded and the other isn't.
I bolded the most important part of the specs, the RF.
This is the only place the TB headphones fall down for me because the 2.4GHz range is so crowded in the modern home.
I hope they take a page from Astro's book and go to the 5.8GHz range like the Mixamp 5.8.

Thanks Jammy! I tried to mess with this last night but the three large buttons (bottom left) were grayed out and could not be clicked. I had restarted my Windows OS but maybe my Mac needed to restart too? I'll try again tonight.

I thought that might be the case with the XP 500, I had assumed I would be getting exclusive MW3 audio presets with the Delta but it looks like I just paid more for the box and cheap MW3 plastics. I'll likely return these and grab the XP 500, being totally wire free is big for me. Fortunately I'm not having issues with other 2.4 signals in the house, the sound is very clean however I think the PC360 and mixamp have them beat in overall AQ accuracy for in game play. The difference, based on memory is fairly marginal and the chat and game mix is vastly superior on these.

My Rig

post #112 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Yeah, I posted the similarities and differences before

Quote:

For those thinking of getting the Turtle Beach Delta, you can simply get the PX5s and save some dough. The XP500 and Deltas are simply PX5s with a paint scheme.

XP500: PX5s w/ green trim and $30 XBA puck

Deltas: PX5s w/ MW3 scheme, case, $30 XBA puck and voice profile of MP announcer

You can simply wait for the voice profile to be available on the net to upload to your device or maybe some who takes the plunge on the Deltas can email it out. For those on the fence, if you own a PS3 too, I'd get the PX5s over Warheads. My place is saturated with 2.4ghz devices and no crackle or hiss yet. Just trying to help.

FYI, you may have to rename a few filenames so they match up in the sound editor ie MP Enhancer becomes MultiPlayer Enhancer etc

Juicer:

post #113 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:

FYI, you may have to rename a few filenames so they match up in the sound editor ie MP Enhancer becomes MultiPlayer Enhancer etc

Here are the three files you need to rename:

Campaign Enhancer > Campaign Main
MultiPlayer Enhancer > MultiPlayer Main
MP Amplifier > MP Enhancer

I'd also love to get the Voice Prompts as I've met the guy who does them and he's a legend. Great that people have uploaded these - was feeling very hard done by as a PX5 user with Turtlebeach refusing to make MW3 presets available.
post #114 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsarLizzle View Post

I'd also love to get the Voice Prompts.

Same

Gamertag - G0ldMembeI2
PS3 ID - G0ldMembeI2
post #115 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:

I've been looking for them too, no luck yet though! I think it's BS how turtlebeach isn't making them available for PX5/XP500 users, I highly doubt I will ever buy anything from them again, I mean these aren't $20 headsets!
post #116 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post

I've been looking for them too, no luck yet though! I think it's BS how turtlebeach isn't making them available for PX5/XP500 users, I highly doubt I will ever buy anything from them again, I mean these aren't $20 headsets!

Well the important thing is we got the game audio presets here for download. Another great thing about these headsets is the ability to update them on your computer. It's a simple file that'll pop up on the net sooner or later. We can do without the voice prompts awhile longer. All you'll hear is "battery low" or the number of the preset selected.

Juicer:

post #117 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Well the important thing is we got the game audio presets here for download. Another great thing about these headsets is the ability to update them on your computer. It's a simple file that'll pop up on the net sooner or later. We can do without the voice prompts awhile longer. All you'll hear is "battery low" or the number of the preset selected.

You have to agree though that we got the hard stiff one from TB on this!
post #118 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. The XP500, PX5s and Deltas are the same headsets with the same upgrade capabilities. They have to justify the MW3 markup with exclusive content. Good for us that they can't keep a lid on a few kilobytes for long. The PX5s are $100 less with the same audio presets and we didn't wait until Oct 25th for them to release. That's pure win.

Juicer:

post #119 of 176 Old 11-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Do those of you with the XBA BT adapter find that even with the [PS3] XBA Mic preset (TB says that's what you are supposed to use for 360/PS3), you still have to raise your voice or even have the mic almost touching your mouth to be able to have people on xbox live hear what your saying?
post #120 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Absolutely. I've had quite an argument with their Twitter support about it. Having paid £200 for the PX5 which promised presets and then didn't deliver any for 7 months I think it's wrong that the first time they have decent ones they want us to buy another, essentially identical, headset.

It basically turns out they made a bad licensing deal for the MW3 presets and completely forgot they already had other headsets! The way they've approached it and the arrogant attitude of their support staff when I've raised this issue means I'm going to switch to a Tritton Warhead when they are released - no more interference from 2.4GHz wireless devices!

Quote:

Do those of you with the XBA BT adapter find that even with the [PS3] XBA Mic preset (TB says that's what you are supposed to use for 360/PS3), you still have to raise your voice or even have the mic almost touching your mouth to be able to have people on xbox live hear what your saying?

My friend and I both have one (using correct preset) and sometimes we seem to miss half of what each other are saying. I also find it funny that the preset is prefixed with [PS3] when it's a 360 only device! More slackness from TB.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page