Turtle Beach PX5 opinions - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 716
so considering these headphones (had no idea headphones were so complicated!), i would only use them for PS3/360. There is no way i would be cool with dropping 200+ and having any sort of drops/interference. when i play video games usually my wife is on the ipad and my roommate is also on the router, and i cannot kick them off!! thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

so considering these headphones (had no idea headphones were so complicated!), i would only use them for PS3/360. There is no way i would be cool with dropping 200+ and having any sort of drops/interference. when i play video games usually my wife is on the ipad and my roommate is also on the router, and i cannot kick them off!! thoughts??

I get interference from my wireless speaker system and also whenever my iPhone is doing anything via wireless. If you mainly use 360 I'd suggest Tritton Warhead as it uses 5.8GHz to avoid interference.
post #123 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

my HK receiver causes a hum, it's next on m list to upgrade. I've been pretty happy for the most part with my PX5's. I have them split between my plasma and PS3/360 so I can watch or play anything w/o waking up my wife.....well as long as I don't raise my voice while playing a game!
post #124 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I was apprehensive about interference when I first got these about 2 months ago. So far no problems. My xbox is on the A band but with my phone on G and other devices i've had no hiccups. No hum, no static, no drops.

XBL: Pakman3000 of the mighty mighty USMG

Juicer:

http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums/...-boosting.html
post #125 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 PM

thanks to xXxKingLutchXx here are the voice prompts:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10975314/VTB...0_20110714.mem
post #126 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsarLizzle View Post

I get interference from my wireless speaker system and also whenever my iPhone is doing anything via wireless. If you mainly use 360 I'd suggest Tritton Warhead as it uses 5.8GHz to avoid interference.

those look very interesting... i am very ignorant about headsets... i would use it for 360 probably 90% of the time but could i use these for ps3, also when is the release date?
post #127 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post

Thx. See, sooner or later they'd pop up lol.

XBL: Pakman3000 of the mighty mighty USMG

Juicer:

http://www.nextgenupdate.com/forums/...-boosting.html
post #128 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21 View Post

So you set low at 5 and mid1 at 2 ?

have you tweak any other setting?

I want to rise the bass but the preset is too high for my liking. You miss treble sound detail on the bass preset setting.

I set the first section to thru and balance the sound field expander so it does not do much by putting the mgain in the middle. I raise the lgain a point or two. I like a little extra bass but dont want to ruin the surround.
post #129 of 176 Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:

those look very interesting... i am very ignorant about headsets... i would use it for 360 probably 90% of the time but could i use these for ps3, also when is the release date?

You could use these for audio but not chat on PS3 - they are co-branded with Xbox so uses proprietary 5.8GHz wireless to connect directly to your 360 controller. With the PX5 unless you have chat cable from headset to controller, only way to go wireless is with a bluetooth adapter into from of controller. It works ok but I'd take wireless over bluetooth - don't have to worry about disconnects and chat quality with XBA is sketchy at times. I believe the release date is early December. Also comes with two rechargeable battery packs to interchange which just charge in base unit.
post #130 of 176 Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could use these for audio but not chat on PS3 - they are co-branded with Xbox so uses proprietary 5.8GHz wireless to connect directly to your 360 controller. With the PX5 unless you have chat cable from headset to controller, only way to go wireless is with a bluetooth adapter into from of controller. It works ok but I'd take wireless over bluetooth - don't have to worry about disconnects and chat quality with XBA is sketchy at times. I believe the release date is early December. Also comes with two rechargeable battery packs to interchange which just charge in base unit.

audio is all i care about... not worried about chat on ps3.. thanks
post #131 of 176 Old 11-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:

audio is all i care about... not worried about chat on ps3.. thanks

In that case I'd wait for the Warhead. Should be much more impressive audio and it will actively up-convert any audio input to 7.1 Surround if it isn't already! Not getting interference from regular wireless devices will also avoid unnecessary crackling.
post #132 of 176 Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post

Thanks!!!

Gamertag - G0ldMembeI2
PS3 ID - G0ldMembeI2
post #133 of 176 Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for sharing this I didn't know about this upcoming headset. Will keep an eye out for it.
post #134 of 176 Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

My setup is:

Xbox 360 opt out -> PX5 opt in
PX5 opt out -> HT aux opt in

Jammy, I need to think through this a bit and then ask my questions.

OK

I use my PX-5 for everything by running everything into my very old, old, Sony receiver (893 i think) and, with the one opti out, to my PX-5 (as i did with my X4s).

The problem: as I start to look for a new receiver there are some great mid-level options...but they do not have an optical out.

Sure, sure, i can go up past $800, even over a $1,000 and get it and the PX-5 is very important.

However, I am just wondering if there is any other way to work this so I can get my 360, PS3, and Directv receiver audio out from my receiver to my PX-5 in case I do not have an opti out in the future.

Will the above set-up have my PX-5 communicate with all the other audio internally on my receiver?

Any help...from anyone, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
post #135 of 176 Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckFly View Post

Jammy, I need to think through this a bit and then ask my questions.

OK

I use my PX-5 for everything by running everything into my very old, old, Sony receiver (893 i think) and, with the one opti out, to my PX-5 (as i did with my X4s).

The problem: as I start to look for a new receiver there are some great mid-level options...but they do not have an optical out.

Sure, sure, i can go up past $800, even over a $1,000 and get it and the PX-5 is very important.

However, I am just wondering if there is any other way to work this so I can get my 360, PS3, and Directv receiver audio out from my receiver to my PX-5 in case I do not have an opti out in the future.

Will the above set-up have my PX-5 communicate with all the other audio internally on my receiver?

Any help...from anyone, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out why a receiver would need a Toslink output in the first place....

Anyway, with a new receiver comes many HDMI ports. So, you'd connect all of your devices directly to the receiver with HDMI, first of all. From there your best bet would probably be to try to find a Toslink switch to go between your devices and the PX5. They're not cheap though. I think the cheapest one I saw was ~$70, assuming you'd want ALL of those devices to go to the PX5. If you only need it for the PS3 and 360, it's a simple 2 to 1 cheapo deal from Monoprice.

How many HDMI inputs do you need? The H/K 1650 has an optical out but it's only got 4 HDMI inputs and it's 5.1 (as opposed to 7.1). $499. It's the only one I could find in that price range that's got optical out.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #136 of 176 Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I'm trying to figure out why a receiver would need a Toslink output in the first place....

Anyway, with a new receiver comes many HDMI ports. So, you'd connect all of your devices directly to the receiver with HDMI, first of all. From there your best bet would probably be to try to find a Toslink switch to go between your devices and the PX5. They're not cheap though. I think the cheapest one I saw was ~$70, assuming you'd want ALL of those devices to go to the PX5. If you only need it for the PS3 and 360, it's a simple 2 to 1 cheapo deal from Monoprice.

How many HDMI inputs do you need? The H/K 1650 has an optical out but it's only got 4 HDMI inputs and it's 5.1 (as opposed to 7.1). $499. It's the only one I could find in that price range that's got optical out.

Thanks, bb for the suggestion. I greatly appreciate it.

I actually did buy one of those monoprice toslink switches from monoprice last year for my den (3/1 - it was silver and purple). Let's just say the results varied. However, if they have new models, it is worth giving a try.

It does stink a little bit because I am caught in two different worlds; headphones for all late night purposes and a simple little output that has become all but obsolete.
post #137 of 176 Old 11-30-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, bb for the suggestion. I greatly appreciate it.

I actually did buy one of those monoprice toslink switches from monoprice last year for my den (3/1 - it was silver and purple). Let's just say the results varied. However, if they have new models, it is worth giving a try.

It does stink a little bit because I am caught in two different worlds; headphones for all late night purposes and a simple little output that has become all but obsolete.

Personally, I love the H/K receivers. Not that there aren't other great brands out there but if it's the only one that's got the output that you need I wouldn't hesitate to grab one. The next model up still has the optical out, has 5 HDMI's and is 7.1 but it's like $799 retail.

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #138 of 176 Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
I bought my Denon 1910 a couple years ago for like $500 on sale and it had optical out... so keep looking, you don't have to pay $800 for the feature. Have you looked at Denons?

Also, I had that silver and purple toslink switch and it worked fine for me as long as I made sure the input cables were correctly aligned. Once you do that it should work flawlessly. Personally, I'd try a toslink switch again. Dirt cheap solution if it works.

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #139 of 176 Old 12-01-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

I bought my Denon 1910 a couple years ago for like $500 on sale and it had optical out... so keep looking, you don't have to pay $800 for the feature. Have you looked at Denons?

Also, I had that silver and purple toslink switch and it worked fine for me as long as I made sure the input cables were correctly aligned. Once you do that it should work flawlessly. Personally, I'd try a toslink switch again. Dirt cheap solution if it works.

I looked at the Denon site before I told him H/K was the only one I found. I swear I checked the 1910 because I've heard great things about that receiver. Off to double check myself...

I'm back. The new version looks like the 1912, which does NOT have an optical out. Looks like they dropped it with the 1911. It really does look like a feature everyone's dropped in their low-mid range. BTW, I checked Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Sony, and Yamaha so I'm not biased towards H/K or anything. Well, I am, but I DID check the others. The cheapest ones I could find with the feature were: Denon 4311CI ($2,100 ()), Marantz SR5005 (Last year's model, but still out there - $800), none of the Onkyos (not even the $2,900 beast TX-NR5009 has it), none of the Sonys, and the Yamaha RX-A1010 at $1,100, and the aforementioned H/K. All those prices are retail, so you might be able to find them cheaper if you dig around. In fact, the Marantz can be had for around $500 at reputable dealers, so that looks like a killer deal. I'm thinking about grabbing one myself now!

There, I've pretty much done ALL your work for you!

post #140 of 176 Old 12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
If you can find a 1910 around, it's a nice receiver

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #141 of 176 Old 12-01-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've got a Yamaha RX-V663BL 665 Watt 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver, bought it 2 years ago after reading all the great reviews of it here on AVS.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

3 optical outs.
post #142 of 176 Old 12-01-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

If you can find a 1910 around, it's a nice receiver

I agree, but for the same price I'd get the Marantz. But, you won't go wrong either way.

post #143 of 176 Old 12-01-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

I've got a Yamaha RX-V663BL 665 Watt 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver, bought it 2 years ago after reading all the great reviews of it here on AVS.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

3 optical outs.

3?! Why on earth would you ever need 3?

Neither of the last two iterations of the RX line have any optical outs, so it looks like Yamaha has largely dropped it also.

post #144 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 AM

First, sorry I have been away for a day or two, my schedule has been a little crazy.

Second, thanks a lot guys, I do really appreciate the help and suggestions and yes, Coyote, I have looked at Denon. There are a lot of receivers I like, but it does get pricey and as this is a once in more than a decade thing for me I want to be sure.

When you get into that $700 plus dollar range the opti out does seem to come back...I noticed that when i was checking earlier this year.

bb, and the rest of you, I am a little curious; when you did your rundown of receivers you seemed to leave Pioneer off your list (the Elite does have the opti). As I am shopping for a receiver I am just curious as far why. Was it just random or don't you like the Pioneers?

Honestly, my 1999(?) Sony has been so good to me, but it is almost time for it to be put out to pasture...meaning another room in the house!

Thanks for your opinions, guys.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW it is looking more and more like Airplay is becoming important to me.

EDIT 2: And I'm sorry, jammy but it looks like the Yammy has a lot of optical inputs but no outputs. Great receiver though. My brothers love Yamaha.
post #145 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 AM

Man, guys, I do have a few more questions that popped into my head, but I don't want to hijack this thread just to talk about receiver questions.
post #146 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First, sorry I have been away for a day or two, my schedule has been a little crazy.

Second, thanks a lot guys, I do really appreciate the help and suggestions and yes, Coyote, I have looked at Denon. There are a lot of receivers I like, but it does get pricey and as this is a once in more than a decade thing for me I want to be sure.

When you get into that $700 plus dollar range the opti out does seem to come back...I noticed that when i was checking earlier this year.

bb, and the rest of you, I am a little curious; when you did your rundown of receivers you seemed to leave Pioneer off your list (the Elite does have the opti). As I am shopping for a receiver I am just curious as far why. Was it just random or don't you like the Pioneers?

Honestly, my 1999(?) Sony has been so good to me, but it is almost time for it to be put out to pasture...meaning another room in the house!

Thanks for your opinions, guys.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW it is looking more and more like Airplay is becoming important to me.

EDIT 2: And I'm sorry, jammy but it looks like the Yammy has a lot of optical inputs but no outputs. Great receiver though. My brothers love Yamaha.

Nope, I've got nothing against Pioneer. In fact, the first time I went through I did look at those (but not the Elite line). I just forgot when I put prices on some. The cheapest Elite with optical out is still $900 though.

If you've got the extra cash to throw at one, then great, go for it! Otherwise, I'd still recommend the Marantz or H/K. BTW, someone here can correct me if I'm off base, but I think Yamaha tends to have more of a bright sound, while Marantz and H/K tend to be warmer, with Onkyo and Denon somewhere between (neutral). I've got no idea where Pioneer falls in there. You might want to consider that, in conjunction with whatever speakers you've got.

post #147 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

BuckFly, I'd say go ahead and post your questions here. It's not like it's a really active thread. If someone objects you can always start a new one. You might get more help in the receivers section though.

On a more on-topic note: The PX5 is on sale at Amazon today for $213. Where is the XP500 sale Amazon?!

post #148 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Lots of TB haters on this forum - is it because earlier revs of product were poor or is there really something here?
post #149 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Lots of TB haters on this forum - is it because earlier revs of product were poor or is there really something here?

They're like any other brand in the category: some products are great and others are crap. In the wireless headset space I think they've got the best products on the market right now.

post #150 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

They're like any other brand in the category: some products are great and others are crap. In the wireless headset space I think they've got the best products on the market right now.

Amazon has the PX5s on sale right now. Is it throwing money away compared to the Trittons? I'm between here and the Tritton AX720s. I'd like to include the Astros, but you can't get them from Amazon and once you tack shipping onto the wifi bundle you're up over 300 bucks. I can get these for 177 w/ credits I have on Amazon.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page