post #151 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Amazon has the PX5s on sale right now. Is it throwing money away compared to the Trittons? I'm between here and the Tritton AX720s. I'd like to include the Astros, but you can't get them from Amazon and once you tack shipping onto the wifi bundle you're up over 300 bucks. I can get these for 177 w/ credits I have on Amazon.

Of the two, I'd go with the PX5. To make it even more wireless, get the bluetooth puck from Turtle Beach for another $30.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Of the two, I'd go with the PX5. To make it even more wireless, get the bluetooth puck from Turtle Beach for another $30.

+1
I'm loving my XP 500's and I was playing some Halo Anniversary, Reach MP, and black ops last night and really enjoyed having the option to plug my nice headphones into the TB base.

BB - You could do the same with your 702's when you don't need a mic

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #153 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

+1
I'm loving my XP 500's and I was playing some Halo Anniversary, Reach MP, and black ops last night and really enjoyed having the option to plug my nice headphones into the TB base.

BB - You could do the same with your 702's when you don't need a mic

I COULD, but I'll be selling the 702's if the XP500's ever go on sale.

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #154 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to post on some of the above, however, I am headed out for the day and I just needed to log back in and say...

I love this place. You guys and your respectful opinions.

Seriously...damn, why the hell was I so absent for so long?
post #155 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Just picked up the PX5s tonight during Amazon's lightning deal ($149 plus had some GC, so ended up being $113!). Quick question, what will be the best way to hook this up to my current setup? PS3/XBOX Slim/Pioneer VSX-820-K. I'd rather not have to swap cables when switching between consoles. Thanks for the help in advance.
post #156 of 176 Old 12-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by golbiga View Post

Just picked up the PX5s tonight during Amazon's lightning deal ($149 plus had some GC, so ended up being $113!). Quick question, what will be the best way to hook this up to my current setup? PS3/XBOX Slim/Pioneer VSX-820-K. I'd rather not have to swap cables when switching between consoles. Thanks for the help in advance.

Well, I guess A. I'm happy I didn't buy them earlier.

But B., I'm awfully pissed I missed this b/c that's a great deal.
post #157 of 176 Old 12-03-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I guess A. I'm happy I didn't buy them earlier.

But B., I'm awfully pissed I missed this b/c that's a great deal.

Me too. For that price I would have gotten them and the puck.

post #158 of 176 Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since you only have 2 components you're trying to use, just use this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

post #159 of 176 Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 PM

I've had mine since May and for the most part I love them they are a nice upgrade to the Turtle Beach X41s however lately when I watch movies on my PS3 there's major popping and sound dropping when the film first starts up.

For example I was watching The Lost World: Jurassic Park last night and while the Unviersal logo came up and all the previews from BD Live came up there was major popping and the sound dropped out.

I had my headphones set to 5.1 Dolby Digital in Xbox 360 mode so tonight when I watch JPIII I'm going to leave them on the deafualt and switch over to PS3 mode also I wasn't using any presets.

If that doesn't fix the issue then I'm going to be contacting Turtle Beach after I try restoring them to the deafault.
post #160 of 176 Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

what might be easiest is just to run an optical cable from your display to the PX5, if the display has an optical out, AND you're running hdmi to the display.
Best,
jeff
post #161 of 176 Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
He may not get Dolby Digital surround sound out of that tv optical out, depending on the tv. I'd try it for sure though, as that is his best option for simple hookup. Otherwise, he's going to have to manually swap cables or find an optical switcher. Or he may be happy with stereo sound, and Dolby ProLogic.

bg
post #162 of 176 Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM

I've had different results from my PX5's trying different things to get all the audio from my receiver through my headphones without having to disconnect my speakers to accomplish this.

I have an old Denon 3806, and it's pretty good functionally, but I had to setup an 8x1 switch to link all my upconverted classic consoles like SNES, SS, Dreamcast, Xbox, Genesis, etc. up via HDMI cables to it. My goal was to get the PX5's so instead of having it annoy my wife with my speakers, to use the headphones to play all the consoles through. However, it seems as there is no way to get both HDMI and optical out with the receiver that I know of.

So next I tried a headphone plug and piped that into an RCA converter and plugged it into the back using the RCA inputs. The result was a very loud and annoying hum, which I'm not sure what or why it's causing it, but I can only assume it's something to do with the headphone jack signal not matching up very well with the input to the headphones.

Next I tried using the preamp out to put that into the headphones. That worked fine, but the volume controls are tied to the preamp out and thus I have to have both the speakers and the headphones active to get sound, and that didn't work to well, and have no way to 'turn off' the speakers.

My best case scenario is using the tosslink cable. I did find a way to split off the HDMI signal, but the only switch I've found that has optical out requires some sort of video signal coupled with the audio signal. That means for me to get optical out I'd have to get another converter to switch from HDMI to composite. I had to call Monoprice to verify that the switch would not actually work with a straight HDMI input and an optical only output. That made me sad.

Anyone have any suggestions?
post #163 of 176 Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post

I've had different results from my PX5's trying different things to get all the audio from my receiver through my headphones without having to disconnect my speakers to accomplish this.

I have an old Denon 3806, and it's pretty good functionally, but I had to setup an 8x1 switch to link all my upconverted classic consoles like SNES, SS, Dreamcast, Xbox, Genesis, etc. up via HDMI cables to it. My goal was to get the PX5's so instead of having it annoy my wife with my speakers, to use the headphones to play all the consoles through. However, it seems as there is no way to get both HDMI and optical out with the receiver that I know of.

So next I tried a headphone plug and piped that into an RCA converter and plugged it into the back using the RCA inputs. The result was a very loud and annoying hum, which I'm not sure what or why it's causing it, but I can only assume it's something to do with the headphone jack signal not matching up very well with the input to the headphones.

Next I tried using the preamp out to put that into the headphones. That worked fine, but the volume controls are tied to the preamp out and thus I have to have both the speakers and the headphones active to get sound, and that didn't work to well, and have no way to 'turn off' the speakers.

My best case scenario is using the tosslink cable. I did find a way to split off the HDMI signal, but the only switch I've found that has optical out requires some sort of video signal coupled with the audio signal. That means for me to get optical out I'd have to get another converter to switch from HDMI to composite. I had to call Monoprice to verify that the switch would not actually work with a straight HDMI input and an optical only output. That made me sad.

Isn't the whole point of the PX5s to take the 360s optical out and plug it into the base station of the PX5s? What am I missing here?
post #164 of 176 Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Isn't the whole point of the PX5s to take the 360s optical out and plug it into the base station of the PX5s? What am I missing here?

It doesn't have to be solely used with the 360, just so long as you have either a coaxial or optical input (it takes both). I'm trying to use it more as a multipurpose headset that works with everything I have.

Anyways, I tried putting in the headphone plug, hoping that the preamp audio would still work, unfortunately that doesn't work.
post #165 of 176 Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

The result was a very loud and annoying hum, which I'm not sure what or why it's causing it, but I can only assume it's something to do with the headphone jack signal not matching up very well with the input to the headphones.

More than likely you have a ground loop.
Here's how to fix it: http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/co...m-hum-and-buzz

BTW - I'm not surprised you are having that kind of issue due to the crazy setup you have. As far as integrating the PX5s...no idea. Like others have said you aren't really getting the benefit of using them if they are not receiving full digital audio via optical cable.
post #166 of 176 Old 12-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Liked: 11
How do you setup the PX5's for both PS3 and 360? Do need to switch out the optical cables from the base-station each time you switch consoles, or can you put a splitter in the base-station so there is no plugging and unplugging?
post #167 of 176 Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:

The result was a very loud and annoying hum, which I'm not sure what or why it's causing it, but I can only assume it's something to do with the headphone jack signal not matching up very well with the input to the headphones.

Sounds similar to a ground loop issue I was having. My problem was completely alleviated by switching the USB power from the Xbox to a wall plug (you can buy the one from the TB website or use any compatible adapter; I used the USB plug from an older iPhone and it works great).

I too use the headphone jack on my avr for use with all my devices. I can now enjoy great sound (albeit stereo analog) regardless of source. Try this out if you haven't yet. Much luck.
post #168 of 176 Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Don't want to start a new thread so I thought i post this here.

These are also designed for home theater use but there's no presets on Turtle Beach's website

I use these through my headphone jack on my Onkyo. i would like to watch TV and Movies with my px5's. the original source of my TV/Movie viewing will be in Doly, DTS & in analog Stereo

Anybody have presets thats ideal for Movie and TV watching in dolby pro logic iix?
post #169 of 176 Old 03-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I posted earlier but let me follow up.

A friend got the PX5 to use with the 360, PS3, and his cable box. Like me, he owns an Onkyo receiver that does not have optical out so he had to buy an optical switch (he bought it from monoprice.com) and plugged all three devices into it. The problem is every time he switches to another device, he has to walk over to his A/V closet (all his equipment is on a rack) and manually turn the dial to whatever component he is using. Besides the well publicized drops and interference from the PX5, this is not an elegant solution whatsoever.

Again, I considered doing this but I ended up buying a long headphone extension cord (my receiver is at the front of the room) and using my Klipsch Image One cans. Not only do I get awesome sound quality that is better than the PX5 but there are no dropouts or interference (obviously) and I still get a simulated back channel effect.
post #170 of 176 Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desisuperman View Post

Don't want to start a new thread so I thought i post this here.

These are also designed for home theater use but there's no presets on Turtle Beach's website

I use these through my headphone jack on my Onkyo. i would like to watch TV and Movies with my px5's. the original source of my TV/Movie viewing will be in Doly, DTS & in analog Stereo

Anybody have presets thats ideal for Movie and TV watching in dolby pro logic iix?

Anybody want to share presets for movie viewing in Dolby Pro Logic?
post #171 of 176 Old 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM

What i've done, is gotten an optical switch from monoprice and put both of my consoles through that and then into the PX5 and then used the optical out on the PX5 base station to connect to my receiver.

The PX5 works great as a passthrough for those times I want to game on the sound system.

I wish the PX5 had 2 inputs as that would make this a little less of a pain when changing between consoles but otherwise this works well.
post #172 of 176 Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 AM

I just bought a pair XP500's, which are essentially identical to the PX5's. I'm having some trouble with distorted bass coming from the headset. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the speakers, or a defect in the headset.

The mids and highs sound great, and even some of the lows sound good. But, whenever you get a very low rumble, or loud low pitch sound, like a grenade going off close, or firing a weapon in a tank in Battlefield, the low pitch sounds almost distorted or muffled.

People say the PX5/XP500 sounds amazing, but I have in-the-ear $100 headphones that have more bass reponse.

Is there something wrong with the headset, or is it just limited?

I'm using Preset 4, Bass + Treble Boost.
post #173 of 176 Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
trace to the audio signal flow back to the source for the problem, eliminating variables along the way.
you have audio settings on the xbox so start by checking what you have them set out.
if the xbox is set to "10" then you should back it off.
Example: I have mine set to "5" on both sound and chat.
post #174 of 176 Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
can someone tell me if the headset can be powered with a USB cable? Or do you always have to use batteries to power the headset?
post #175 of 176 Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 PM

Batteries all the time iirc
post #176 of 176 Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 PM

So I just got for christmas a set of turtle beach tango's and they're awesome I have a somewhat old SR603 onkyo reciever and I've just hung them off the back of it (optical out -> tango base station)

I have a crazy idea about using zone2 for all my old analog stuff and sending the rca zone2 to the headset

Anyone got thoughts on this?
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page