Hulu Plus... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Coming April 29th according to XBOX Mag.

They're giving away a free month to new subscribers and doing a bunch of giveaways from the 29th-May 30th.

XBOX Live: Hank Love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Really? Interesting...although that's yet another subscription. Netflix is enough for me.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #3 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I tried Hulu Plus (not on Xbox 360) and after the 1st day I unsubscribed. It still places multiple ads so that was a big no no for me. Sure they have a huge library of shows but if it's going to have ads then I would rather just rent the dvds from netflix or download them. What I will not do is pay to see ads.

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #4 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 AM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Yep I am good with Netflix too.

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #5 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I do not care about ads, and I am not that interested in movies so Hulu Plus is tempting as an extra DVR.
post #6 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hulu Plus sucks.
Don't waste your money.
I had a free 1 month trial and I found it annoying because of the insane amount of commercials they make you watch.

It's arrogant and an insult to consumers that you have to *pay* them to show you *more* commercials that on the free Hulu website.

Part of the reason I got into using podcasts, streaming, P2P services, etc...
was to AVOID watching more commercials than I absolutely have to.
post #7 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

Hulu Plus sucks.
Don't waste your money.
I had a free 1 month trial and I found it annoying because of the insane amount of commercials they make you watch.

It's arrogant and an insult to consumers that you have to *pay* them to show you *more* commercials that on the free Hulu website.

Part of the reason I got into using podcasts, streaming, P2P services, etc...
was to AVOID watching more commercials than I absolutely have to.

Complete opposite opinion for me. I can live with spending $8 for Hulu Plus with those 30 second commercials along with Netflix at $10 for streaming and renting BR movies while having the option to get TV & movies on Zune Marketplace and PSN vs spending the $120 with HD Directv DVR with COMMERCIALS and channels we don't even watch.

No reason I need to keep Directv or have cable with commercials I can't avoid either way. Save myself money.

Oh yeah and free local HD channels with off-air antenna.

The 5.0 is here
post #8 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Complete opposite opinion for me. I can live with spending $8 for Hulu Plus with those 30 second commercials along with Netflix at $10 for streaming and renting BR movies while having the option to get TV & movies on Zune Marketplace and PSN vs spending the $120 with HD Directv DVR with COMMERCIALS and channels we don't even watch.

No reason I need to keep Directv or have cable with commercials I can't avoid either way. Save myself money.

You are right, it's still cheaper than $120 a month for cable/dish but it's also not HD and you aren't getting as much content.

I've worked in the TV biz since 1985 and I know from first hand experience
that they don't *need* to show you those commercials. The make you pay and show you the commercials because they are greedy and they don't care about the viewer experience.
It's that kind of attitude on the part of the networks is killing the broadcast TV business and IMHO also encourages piracy of content.

Ever since the :30sec skip button was introduced by TiVo viewers don't have to watch commercials anymore and the research shows they don't want to.
The fact is that most people skip commercials.

The whole point of streaming content was to make it easier for people to watch what they want, when they want it, and without as many commercials as normal broadcast tv.

The original Hulu took off because it had great content and one commercial per program. Now they've inserted commercials into programs just like regular a regular broadcast and their numbers have stagnated.
Worse is that Hulu Plus has had trouble gaining and retaining viewers since it's launch.
What's the biggest complaint people have?
Too many commercials.

I will never pay anyone to show me commercials. They should be paying me to watch them.
post #9 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I also liked the option Hulu had where you can select to watch a 1 long commercial before the show starts and no interruption in between and with Hulu Plus I didn't want commercials period (commercials pay Hulu but when Hulu gets money from users for Hulu Plus then whats the point of having commercials if not for more money).

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #10 of 61 Old 04-26-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I assumed 'Plus' got rid of commercials and added more HD. What exactly do you get over normal Hulu?

I currently stream Hulu via Playon to watch my favorite shows because I didn't want to pay the additional $70 for cable that I never watched live anyway.

XBOX Live: Hank Love
post #11 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I think the difference between regular HUlu and Hulu+ is basiclly access to all the episodes when you only get the last few weeks with regular Hulu. Also + adds the ability to watch via mobile devices, consoles and devices with Hulu+ support.

Last time I used Hulu was before they introduced the subscription model and I didn't I didn't mind the commercials but I guess there are even more now. If I can get a month free, I'll give it a shot. It could ease some clutter on our DVR.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #12 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Hulu:

Up to 5 recent episodes of popular current season shows
Over 1,000 seasons of current and classic shows (comprising more than 29,000 episodes)

Hulu Plus:

All current season episodes from even more popular shows
Over 1,000 seasons of current and classic shows (comprising more than 33,000 episodes, 16,000 of which are available on all supported devices)

More than 70 Hulu Plus-only shows

Like it states, not only do they offer what is currently on tv but programs you can only see on Hulu. I am currently deployed and VPN to New York from where I am at in order to see anything from the U.S. in the first place. I can't currently watch the shows in HD and I don't actually mind commercials personally. If anyone has ever been on a military deployment knows what I am talkiing about.

The 5.0 is here
post #13 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

16,000 of which are available on all supported devices

Wait, not even all of there stuff can be played on things like an iPhone/iPad or the 360? Only half? Can you tell what can and can't before paying?

post #14 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Liked: 93
A snippet from my PS3 related Hulu support conversation this morning:

"Just as a heads up, support of Hulu Plus for the Xbox is imminent, so stay tuned for that upcoming launch."

And yes, guys, Hulu Plus is worth $8. If you only want one service though, Netflix is the obvious choice. Hulu streams Daily Show the day after it airs. That alone is worth $8 to me. Everything else is a bonus.
post #15 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Wait, not even all of there stuff can be played on things like an iPhone/iPad or the 360? Only half? Can you tell what can and can't before paying?

No and the reason is the same as why Netflix cannot stream all movies and tv shows on their service which is the studios. Yes you can tell by going to the website or it will tell you if it is web only when you use the Iphone or PSN. They are offering a free month for the service when it launches on the 360.

On another note, I just got $2 from Hulu Plus when they didn't have to because of the issue with PSN.

The 5.0 is here
post #16 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No and the reason is the same as why Netflix cannot stream all movies and tv shows on their service which is the studios.

Not true, everything available for streaming on Netflix.com is also avalible for streaming on the 360. Of course not every DVD Netflix has is available for streaming but that is completely different issue IMO.

Hulu is a streaming only service and it doesn't make sense to pay for access for more shows but, then only get half of those on other devices. I don't watch shows/movies on my PC so the only time I would use Hulu would be on the 360 or iPad. Why do the studios care if you are watching on a PC or the 360/iPhone/iPad/Android? What is the difference in their minds that they would block some shows on other devices? Doesn't make sense IMO. What kind of shows are blocked, old or new shows; or does it vary depending on the show? Can Journeyman be played on other devices, I've really been wanting to watch this show again?

IDK, I've been waiting for a 360 app to give Hulu+ a try but, knowing that I will not have access to half of the content kind of dampens my excitement.

post #17 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Not true, everything available for streaming on Netflix.com is also avalible for streaming on the 360. Of course not every DVD Netflix has is available for streaming but that is completely different issue IMO.

Hulu is a streaming only service and it doesn't make sense to pay for access for more shows but, then only get half of those on other devices. I don't watch shows/movies on my PC so the only time I would use Hulu would be on the 360 or iPad. Why do the studios care if you are watching on a PC or the 360/iPhone/iPad/Android? What is the difference in their minds that they would block some shows on other devices? Doesn't make sense IMO. What kind of shows are blocked, old or new shows; or does it vary depending on the show? Can Journeyman be played on other devices, I've really been wanting to watch this show again?

IDK, I've been waiting for a 360 app to give Hulu+ a try but, knowing that I will not have access to half of the content kind of dampens my excitement.

Quote:

Why are some of the shows I watch on Hulu not available on devices?

We understand that the content difference can be confusing, and at times frustrating for our users, so we hope this explanation is helpful.

For background, when we launched the free Hulu.com service, we obtained licensing to stream content direct to the PC - and only to the PC. With the launch of the subscription-based Hulu Plus service, we had to start from scratch and acquire licensing to stream content on TVs, smartphones, and tablets as well as PCs. We tried to get as much overlap as possible. (We want it all, of course!) But there are still some exceptions that we are working to resolve.

Today, Hulu Plus includes hundreds of shows, some of which haven't been available online before, and full runs of many of them. (To see a full list please go to Hulu Plus Content page)

Still, we understand it's disappointing when you can't access some of your favorite shows on your favorite devices. Please know that we are working diligently to include as much content as possible in Hulu Plus so you can enjoy more of your favorite shows where and when you want, and we're confident the offering will improve over time.

http://www.hulu.com/plus

The 5.0 is here
post #18 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM

Liked: 93
Rolltide - It sounds like you're saying "I can't have the pie AND the cake? I don't want he pie then! Nyah!"

For $8, there is more fantastic content on Hulu Plus than a single person can reasonably watch while still having things like "a job". Instead of whining about something that you obviously haven't used, why not just risk 8 bucks and give it a try to see if you like it? That seems like something that a rational person would do.
post #19 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
This is great.

Now if there was only a way to stream live sports I would not need to have Dish...

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
post #20 of 61 Old 04-27-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Rolltide - It sounds like you're saying "I can't have the pie AND the cake? I don't want he pie then! Nyah!"

For $8, there is more fantastic content on Hulu Plus than a single person can reasonably watch while still having things like "a job". Instead of whining about something that you obviously haven't used, why not just risk 8 bucks and give it a try to see if you like it? That seems like something that a rational person would do.

Doesn't even have to spend money at all for the first month when it launches on the 29th since the first month is free to try it out.

The 5.0 is here
post #21 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Jack Link’s Beef Jerky is unlocking Hulu Plus on Xbox LIVE from April 29 – May 6. Through this sponsorship, all Xbox LIVE members (Free or Gold) will be able to enjoy Hulu Plus on Xbox LIVE, no Hulu Plus subscription or Xbox LIVE Gold membership required for an entire week.
from major nelson's twitter
post #22 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Oh, that makes me wish my XBOX wasn't out of commission
post #23 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'll be checking it out, although with my DVR and series setups I already watch all my regular TV on delay.
post #24 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 574
so is it a free month or a free week?

or is it a free week (thanks to beef jerky) plus the free month?
post #25 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

so is it a free month or a free week?

or is it a free week (thanks to beef jerky) plus the free month?

It's a free week for everyone (silver included) without signing up, and a free month for gold subscribers who sign up for Hulu+.
post #26 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 574
So, can we time it so we have a 1 month and 1 week?
post #27 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

It's a free week for everyone (silver included) without signing up, and a free month for gold subscribers who sign up for Hulu+.

Its Gonna Be a Good Week!....no way do I "NEED" Hulu Plus...when Hulu is still "free" online.

(I know Hulu Plus offers more content......)
post #28 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh yeah and free local HD channels with off-air antenna.

I'm with you on this. I dumped cable 18 months ago, and I love having Hulu Plus as an option. I have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and OTA broadcasts dvr'd on my pc and I have not missed cable even once.

Plus, I'll never understand why people are so offended by having to watch a 30 second commercial. Oh well. I think Hulu Plus is pretty awesome and will be yet another great add to the 360. Having Tosh.O in HD is what sold me on day one.

I was just thinking abou this the other day about how amazing both the 360 and PS3 have grown over the years just adding service after service. I remember when I first got the 360 thinking how amazing it was that they were going to have these arcade titles release as much as once/month!!!! Now content is almost overwhelming.
post #29 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

Plus, I'll never understand why people are so offended by having to watch a 30 second commercial.

Because they do nothing to improve my quality of life and are a colossal waste of my time. I don't pay people to waste my time.

What blows my mind is how happy people are to PAY someone to MAKE them watch ads!
Do you not watch TV? Do you not see how many ads are on OTA and cable?
Are you really so nieve as to thing that the networks, who own Hulu Plus, aren't going to follow the broadcast model and eventually increase the number of ads on Hulu Plus?

You say, "oh it's only :30 secs" like a crackhead thinks, "it's only one hit, how bad can it be" the first time their lips hit the pipe.
Meanwhile you ignore the fact that the drug dealer gives away the product free or cheap only to get you hooked.

Once you are hooked the price goes up, or Hulu Plus's case they will increase the amount of commercials per program to duplicate/enhance their OTA revenue. My guess is that they will raise the subscription price as well over time meaning you will get screwed x2.

If that's the message you want to send to the networks, ad agencies, etc...then subscribe and enjoy the ads.
post #30 of 61 Old 04-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

Because they do nothing to improve my quality of life and are a colossal waste of my time. I don't pay people to waste my time.

What blows my mind is how happy people are to PAY someone to MAKE them watch ads!
Do you not watch TV? Do you not see how many ads are on OTA and cable?
Are you really so nieve as to thing that the networks, who own Hulu Plus, aren't going to follow the broadcast model and eventually increase the number of ads on Hulu Plus?

You say, "oh it's only :30 secs" like a crackhead thinks, "it's only one hit, how bad can it be" the first time their lips hit the pipe.
Meanwhile you ignore the fact that the drug dealer gives away the product free or cheap only to get you hooked.

Once you are hooked the price goes up, or Hulu Plus's case they will increase the amount of commercials per program to duplicate/enhance their OTA revenue. My guess is that they will raise the subscription price as well over time meaning you will get screwed x2.

If that's the message you want to send to the networks, ad agencies, etc...then subscribe and enjoy the ads.

I see you are very passionate. Still doesn't bother me at all to watch an ad though. I'm not naive as to how the world works, I just don't mind.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page