Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1172941p1.html

Quote:

E3 2011: Halo 4 Announced

Microsoft brings out the big guns.

Microsoft announced this morning that it will release Halo 4 holiday 2012 for Xbox 360.

Microsoft made the announcement via a cinematic trailer at the end of its 2011 E3 press conference. Halo 4 marks the first proper Halo title created outside of creator Bungie, who signed off the series with 2010's Halo: Reach. Instead, Halo 4 will be the first major release from 343 Industries, Microsoft's internal Halo studio.

343i currently operates Halo Waypoint, a central hub for Halo content on Xbox Live. 343i also coordinated with developers Certain Affinity for Halo: Reach's Defiant Map Pack, and is working with Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity on this year's Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary, a remake of Halo: Combat Evolved using the Halo: Reach engine slated for this November.

President of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, Don Mattrick, described the game as the "beginning of a new trilogy" in the franchise, signaling a return to the narrative of the Master Chief, who last appeared in 2007's Halo 3.

Halo 4 releases holiday 2012.

I'm loving this news. I like the characters from this storyline more than the ones in ODST and Reach.

Announcement Trailer

Spring Showcase Trailer

E3 2012 Gameplay Demo

Forward Unto Dawn Trailer

PSN Username - Kenshiro26
XBOX LIVE Gamertag - Kenshiro 26
Steam Username - Kenshiro_26
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 449 Old 06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I'm a bit skeptical that Halo 4 will actually get released in the year 2012. I think what is going to happen, is that at some point prior to e3 next year, Microsoft will announce that the game is coming in Spring 2013 or something. Why would I say this? Well, the trailer was nothing more than a CG trailer without the slightest hint of gameplay. If games like Bioshock Infinite and all these other games aren't coming till late 2012, how the heck can 343 turn around a Halo 4 game so quickly? Especially when they are still looking for key members of their development team?

The only way I could possibly see this game released in calendar 2012, is if Microsoft has secretly hired the services of another development team/s, similar to how Activision had everybody and their Mom helping out with Black Ops, and has 3 or more studios helping out with MW3.

Microsoft just needed something to tease at the end of this e3, so they dialed up a CG trailer for a game that is probably still in pre-production.
post #3 of 449 Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

According to some of the videos over at HALO Waypoint, there's going to be more info on the game at HALO Fest on August 26-28 at PAX Prime.

Maybe some actual gameplay footage or a cutscene might appear.

The only reason to think it'll probably make that release date next year is because it's the start of the new trilogy, and Microsoft will no doubt want the sequels to be on their next XBOX console, possibly with 5 being a launch title.

Origin ID - Kenshiro26
post #4 of 449 Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
i just hope they take thier time and make a good game, not a good miltiplayer experience with a meidiorcre campaign thrown in to justify a $60 pricetag like the third one

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #5 of 449 Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Perhaps I am too optimistic but I doubt they are going to screw this up.

As far as I am concerned, they can take as much time as they want to ensure the game is perfect. There are plenty of great games on the horizon that will keep us busy.

post #6 of 449 Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 396
343 Studios has been working on this game for quite awhile so I am not that concerned about 2012 date. Microsoft Studios seems to run a tight ship when it comes to hitting deadlines and managing expectations.
post #7 of 449 Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yeah, the fact that this is the first time we've heard about it doesn't mean they're not already deep into production. Frank O'Connor, the franchise director, said in an interview yesterday that they've been working on it for a while.

Halo's a game they don't have to sell that hard. It'll sell on its own, and even more with the media extravaganza they'll have for it at next year's E3.
post #8 of 449 Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername View Post

yeah, the fact that this is the first time we've heard about it doesn't mean they're not already deep into production. Frank O'Connor, the franchise director, said in an interview yesterday that they've been working on it for a while.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/18/343-...lo-experience/

Looking for level designers a little over 7 months ago, and this thing will be ready for November 2012? Optimistic at best. Extremely rushed at worst.
post #9 of 449 Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Looking for level designers a little over 7 months ago, and this thing will be ready for November 2012? Optimistic at best. Extremely rushed at worst.

They put out a new CoD game every year. IW and Treyarch put a new game every two years. Why is it so hard to believe that a Halo game can be made in 2 years? 343 has been working on this concept probably since Halo 3.

My suspicion is that they will use the Reach engine and thus be able to make a game quickly. Treyarch used the CoD4 engine and made CoD5 in 1 year. I thought CoD5 was a pretty good game.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #10 of 449 Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng View Post

My suspicion is that they will use the Reach engine and thus be able to make a game quickly. Treyarch used the CoD4 engine and made CoD5 in 1 year. I thought CoD5 was a pretty good game.

Microsoft isn't a tiny game development firm. It's a large megacorporation where they can bring in talent to do work as neccessary. They also are capable of doing several projects parallel to eachother.

I have no doubts in my mind that Halo 4 will be built on the Reach Engine, with some improvements. Outside of that - New enemies/AI behaviors, Weapons, Story, Voice Acting, Art Assets, some elbow grease and voila - new game. No major overhaul required. Any why would they? We'd all buy it.

In parallel, a new engine, built against whatever hardware platform they are targetting for NextBOX with dramatically improved visuals, AI, gameplay, etc could be in the works. Lord knows they have the money, assets and can buy the talent - This could be used for Halo 5, in 2014 - for release on the new console.
post #11 of 449 Old 06-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjames View Post

Microsoft isn't a tiny game development firm. It's a large megacorporation where they can bring in talent to do work as neccessary. They also are capable of doing several projects parallel to eachother.

I have no doubts in my mind that Halo 4 will be built on the Reach Engine, with some improvements. Outside of that - New enemies/AI behaviors, Weapons, Story, Voice Acting, Art Assets, some elbow grease and voila - new game. No major overhaul required. Any why would they? We'd all buy it.

In parallel, a new engine, built against whatever hardware platform they are targetting for NextBOX with dramatically improved visuals, AI, gameplay, etc could be in the works. Lord knows they have the money, assets and can buy the talent - This could be used for Halo 5, in 2014 - for release on the new console.

I would imagine this is the general plan.
post #12 of 449 Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Hopefully they go full on 60fps this time around.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #13 of 449 Old 06-08-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Your extremely paranoid and I don't get how it is hard to understand that a game can be in development without the knowledge of it being in development.

Halo 4 has been in development for multiple years'
Quote:

Halo 4 surprised a lot of people with today's E3 announcement, but it would seem that Microsoft have been keeping it under wraps for a lot longer than you might think.

In an interview with the company's own Don Mattrick, Gametrailers asked just how long the game has been kept a secret. Mattrick replied by saying: Well it's been in development for multiple years, so I guess that counts as a secret, which means development must have been going on during Bungie's work on Halo: Reach.

It also reassures us that this one has already had plenty of time to be on track for a holiday 2012 release. When will we finally see the first gameplay footage?

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/201...ultiple-years/

The 5.0 is here
post #14 of 449 Old 06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Halo 4

I am happy , all is at peace in the world.

digital film janitor
post #15 of 449 Old 06-08-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

What I am curious about is why Bungie decided to stop making Halo games. I suppose that after many years, one would want some different challenges, and as far as I know, MS and Bungie have had a great relationship, but I do not know much about their breakup a few years ago. They could have kept some sort of relationship like Epic does with MS with the Gears of War games. Could it be that MS was putting too much pressure on them? Could it have been that Bungie wanted more creative flexability and not allowed it? I am sure 343 will do a fine job with Halo 4, just as Ensemble did with Halo Wars but why would Bungie leave the cash cow that Halo is?

post #16 of 449 Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
It's not unusual for major franchises to see development at multiple studios over the course of its lifetime. As to why Bungie walked away from Halo, name me the last non-Halo game Bungie made? I just think that collectively they were ready to move onto something else after a decade of working on one series. I don't think Bungie is that large of a studio to be able to support their upcoming project and all of the Halo development that MS wants while being able to maintain their trademark quality on both.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #17 of 449 Old 06-08-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Max View Post

It's not unusual for major franchises to see development at multiple studios over the course of its lifetime. As to why Bungie walked away from Halo, name me the last non-Halo game Bungie made? I just think that collectively they were ready to move onto something else after a decade of working on one series. I don't think Bungie is that large of a studio to be able to support their upcoming project and all of the Halo development that MS wants while being able to maintain their trademark quality on both.

well in a little over a year they'll have a chance to see how much money they walked away from.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #18 of 449 Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
The deal Bungie made with Activision means they own the IP for their next project. If it succeeds it will dwarf their Halo money, as Microsoft owns that IP.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #19 of 449 Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Max View Post

The deal Bungie made with Activision means they own the IP for their next project. If it succeeds it will dwarf their Halo money, as Microsoft owns that IP.

This would be the main reason. Bungie have a killer rep .They should capitalise on it. If they can get their own franchise on the go everyone knows that the first game is going to selll like crazy even if its only an 8 out of 10.

Also in business its wise not to put your eggs in one basket. Its always possible a Halo tilte could tank (halo wars for example and ODST didn't do that well I seem to recall). If they have more than one tong in the fire less liklihood their cash cow tamking will destroy the company.

digital film janitor
post #20 of 449 Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Wonder what they'll do with it. Reach started into the idea of classes and leveling up (well, getting money to buy stuff), which I think helped a bit to draw in the CoD crowd. But their implementation of both was very very much lacking. I wonder if they will go even more toward that route. It would be fantastic, for me, if they did. Probably lose some of the halo fanboys, but I think could draw in a whole new crowd of CoD players.

Either way, given how unbelievably polished and well presented Halo Reach was from Bungie, 343 has their work cut out for them. Frankly, I doubt they'll do quite as well, because as far as I'm concerned, Bungie has set the gold standard that no other developer has touched yet.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #21 of 449 Old 06-09-2011, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
What I am curious about is why Bungie decided to stop making Halo games. I suppose that after many years, one would want some different challenges, and as far as I know, MS and Bungie have had a great relationship, but I do not know much about their breakup a few years ago. They could have kept some sort of relationship like Epic does with MS with the Gears of War games. Could it be that MS was putting too much pressure on them? Could it have been that Bungie wanted more creative flexability and not allowed it? I am sure 343 will do a fine job with Halo 4, just as Ensemble did with Halo Wars but why would Bungie leave the cash cow that Halo is?
They didn't decide to stop making Halo games. When they split from Microsoft they HAD to stop since Microsoft owned that IP. They didn't have a choice if they wanted to leave Microsoft. I think they didn't want to stop and would of continued if they owned it.

post #22 of 449 Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D

This would be the main reason. Bungie have a killer rep .They should capitalise on it. If they can get their own franchise on the go everyone knows that the first game is going to selll like crazy even if its only an 8 out of 10.

Also in business its wise not to put your eggs in one basket. Its always possible a Halo tilte could tank (halo wars for example and ODST didn't do that well I seem to recall). If they have more than one tong in the fire less liklihood their cash cow tamking will destroy the company.
ODST and Halo Wars did just fine. Halo Wars being a RTS did especially well at the time when Killzone 2 came out selling 1 million within two weeks. ODST sold 2.5 million in the first two weeks and total sales around 5.5 million.

The 5.0 is here
post #23 of 449 Old 06-09-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

ODST and Halo Wars did just fine. Halo Wars being a RTS did especially well at the time when Killzone 2 came out selling 1 million within two weeks. ODST sold 2.5 million in the first two weeks and total sales around 5.5 million.

Halo Wars was freaking amazing to play. So fun, building armies of master chiefs, and warthogs, etc. was a blast and played really well. And some of the best cut scenes in a video game ever.

post #24 of 449 Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

Either way, given how unbelievably polished and well presented Halo Reach was from Bungie, 343 has their work cut out for them. Frankly, I doubt they'll do quite as well, because as far as I'm concerned, Bungie has set the gold standard that no other developer has touched yet.

If a totally unrelated studio was making the game I'd be of this mindset too.
But because 343i is made up of former Bungie employees I'm more at ease over this point than I'd normally be.

Some nice promo art from HALO Waypoint, any theories from you guys on where 117 and Cortana are?

Origin ID - Kenshiro26
post #25 of 449 Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM

IMHO the odds are against Bungie in making another massively successful title like Halo

I imagine they will expand their charter and make several titles parallel to one another, each having nothing to do with eachother.
post #26 of 449 Old 06-09-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post

, any theories from you guys on where 117 and Cortana are?

Well, if one was to follow the books, Ghosts of Onyx ends in a cliff hanger. My suspicion would be that there will be a link with Master Chief ending up at a Forerunner world, and eventually finding a way to get to the Dyson sphere where Halsey, the rest of Blue team, and the 2 two different spartan III teams are trapped. Also, there might be some clues based on the Halo Cryptum book (the next two are still being written).

post #27 of 449 Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

Well, if one was to follow the books, Ghosts of Onyx ends in a cliff hanger. My suspicion would be that there will be a link with Master Chief ending up at a Forerunner world, and eventually finding a way to get to the Dyson sphere where Halsey, the rest of Blue team, and the 2 two different spartan III teams are trapped. Also, there might be some clues based on the Halo Cryptum book (the next two are still being written).

I think you are right on it! MS revealed that major Forerunner hints will be archived in terminals in the Halo CE Anniversary realease this year. They also mentioned that the hints will clear up a few connections between Reach and Halo CE. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a few Spartan survivors from Reach who will team up with MC in Halo 4. And I also wouldn't be surprised to see a much darker side of the "Prophets" explored. Arbiter and the Elites could become very...very bad guys again. And that would be a plus IMO.

It would really be a plot twist if Arbiter's race just turns out to be genetically mutated humans by the ForeRunners and Prophets. There is a big mystery in there somewhere. It is going to be fun to explore over the next 4 episodes (including Halo CE Anniversary).
post #28 of 449 Old 06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting interview from IGN. Looks like a chance they will remake Halo 2 also. I love that idea for filling in the story blanks and doing the old originals better. I also think they are using Halo CE and 2 to bridge into the World after Halo 3. It will be really exciting to see how they introduce the ForeRunners in Halo 4.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1175819p1.html
post #29 of 449 Old 06-17-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

post #30 of 449 Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)