Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 223
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...s-surface.aspx

This is one I can't figure out. Half Life is a Monster Success. Its Followers are as passionate as COD, Halo and Gods of War. WTF is wrong with Valve? What is there to decide? There shouldn't be any higher priority in that company than getting Gordon Freeman and AleX back up and going! This is a story I have missed greatly since the awesome Orange Box.

All we get from Valve is maybe...perhaps...pretty sure...sometime in the future...Thinking about it...In the pipeline somewhere...Working on some great new IP...etc...etc. C'mon Valve! Get a Half Life...and bring Gordon, Alex and Dog back in 2013.

And this time around let Gordon and Alex pound out the passion and tension like Good Ole Sheppard in ME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1
post #3 of 33 Old 06-17-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 140
+2 Half-life (and HL2) = Best. Game. Ever.
post #4 of 33 Old 06-17-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 89
They'd have to release Half Life 2 Episode 3 first.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-17-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

They'd have to release Half Life 2 Episode 3 first.

That's the idea. But some think they are just going to skip an episode3 and do Half Life 3 or a take off with Alex. Who knows with Valve. They may get around to their most popular game outside of Portal in, maybe the year 2050!
post #6 of 33 Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think they are following the same release time table as Duke Nukem: Forever. If so, Half-life 3 should be released sometime in 2019.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 651
yeah IMO, HL is the best single player FPS, ever..
post #8 of 33 Old 06-17-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Also a big fan of the Half-Life series. I'm more than ready for another.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #9 of 33 Old 06-18-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else noticed that Bioware completely ripped off G-Man from Half Life 1&2 in Mass Effect 2. The Illusive Man is a thinly disguised rip off of G-Man IMO.

Gosh I miss this series. They left a real cliffhanger at the end of HL2. I think I will have to just play Orange Box all over again just to grind out more achievemnets...to scratch my HL itch.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Valve has publicly stated that the time/money/stress of putting together another monster game along the lines of HL2 is something they are NOT interested in repeating. Originally, HL was supposed to continue in the episodic style introduced in the two expansions... but then it didn't.

My suggestion: stop torturing yourself about this and come to grips with the fact that (at least for the immediate future) Half-Life is a dead franchise. Valve seems to enjoy teasing us with little clues/references (such as the reference to the Borealis in Portal2) with apparently ZERO interest in satiating our desire for a sequel...

It's cruel, maybe even sadistic.

So do what the rest of us HL fans have done: accept the loss and try to move on the best you can.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #11 of 33 Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Half-Life is a very profitable franchise. I can assure you that Valve has zero intentions of leaving it behind.
post #12 of 33 Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Half-Life is a very profitable franchise. I can assure you that Valve has zero intentions of leaving it behind.

yeah no kidding, no way are they going to abandon it..
post #13 of 33 Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Has anyone else noticed that Bioware completely ripped off G-Man from Half Life 1&2 in Mass Effect 2. The Illusive Man is a thinly disguised rip off of G-Man IMO.

Gosh I miss this series. They left a real cliffhanger at the end of HL2. I think I will have to just play Orange Box all over again just to grind out more achievemnets...to scratch my HL itch.

Cinematic Mod. Get it. Play it. Whole new experience.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

Didn't say they were going to leave it behind-- I said that they have no immediate plans for a sequel and that their original plan for the continuation of the series was to release episodic content, NOT release another lengthy single player quest.

All of this has been repeated ad-nauseam since shortly after episode 2 and will likely continue to be regurgitated every time some one drops a false rumor (such as the one in the OPs link above).

Simply put: we'll get half life 3 when and if Valve decides to make it, not a second sooner. Ever heard the one about watching a pot boil?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #15 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Ever heard the one about watching a pot boil?

If you get too close your face might get burned!
post #16 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
But I want it nowwwww **stomps feet**

I would love at least some solid news that they are working on either Ep3 or HL3. I mean, at least acknowledgement it's being storyboarded or they are thinking about doing something with it besides letting it collect dust.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 111
I can wait...Half Life 2 was excellent, but I was one of those people that this games's limited field of view gave me Motion Sickness.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

But I want it nowwwww **stomps feet**

I would love at least some solid news that they are working on either Ep3 or HL3. I mean, at least acknowledgement it's being storyboarded or they are thinking about doing something with it besides letting it collect dust.

Everything points to the franchise being on ice at the moment, including my own recent conversation with a Valve grunt worker.
post #19 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Simply put: we'll get half life 3 when and if Valve decides to make it, not a second sooner. Ever heard the one about watching a pot boil?

I just hope Half Life is not the frog in that boiling pot. Or it will become soup when Valve dies from inertia. If they have no vision for it...sell it...while it still has value.
post #20 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Valve doesn't answer to shareholders and every game they make is really popular. Their next game, DOTA 2, will be really popular as well. They will be fine. They will release the next Half-Life when they are good and ready.

There really is no point to sitting around and waiting. Half-Life disappeared off the radar somewhere around 1999 and showed up four years later at E3.
post #21 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Valve doesn't answer to shareholders and every game they make is really popular. Their next game, DOTA 2, will be really popular as well. They will be fine. They will release the next Half-Life when they are good and ready.

There really is no point to sitting around and waiting. Half-Life disappeared off the radar somewhere around 1999 and showed up four years later at E3.

Here's why Valve pisses me (and others) off with the Half Life Episodes. Their whole reasoning behind them was to parcel out the next installment in shorter development times, instead of waiting 5 years between major releases. Which makes sense, in theory.

But it is now 7 YEARS since HL2, and we still don't have Ep3. They could have just shelved Ep 1 and 2 and just made a proper Half Life 3.

I love Valve but sometimes their decisions make no sense. There is absolutely no reason they could not have made Ep3 yet. Or at least tell their fans why they are taking so long.

XBL: dibs ODDJOB
Wiii: Fibonacci-sequence-like numbers
post #22 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7evan View Post

Here's why Valve pisses me (and others) off with the Half Life Episodes. Their whole reasoning behind them was to parcel out the next installment in shorter development times, instead of waiting 5 years between major releases. Which makes sense, in theory.

Yes, they definitely broke their promise on the HL Episodes. But so did everyone, I'm still waiting on SiN Episode 2. That fad didn't last too long...

In hindsight it was kind of crazy to expect that Valve would release three HL episodes within 18 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7evan View Post

I love Valve but sometimes their decisions make no sense. There is absolutely no reason they could not have made Ep3 yet. Or at least tell their fans why they are taking so long.

The reason is that they don't feel like it. I learned this the hard way waiting for TF2. They first said it would be bundled with HL1. Then an expansion pack. Then a year after, this was like 1999, they said, "sorry we need a new engine" and disappeared until 2003when they unveiled HL2... but no TF2. TF2 wasn't unveiled for another three years.

Honestly I doubt they are working on Half-Life 3 at this moment. They are focusing on other things. People expect them to operate like other developers, where there is always a sequel in development, but they just don't work like that.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Yes, they definitely broke their promise on the HL Episodes. But so did everyone, I'm still waiting on SiN Episode 2. That fad didn't last too long...

Can you believe that "Levelord" is now making casual games???
post #24 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
The reason is that they don't feel like it. I learned this the hard way waiting for TF2. They first said it would be bundled with HL1. Then an expansion pack. Then a year after, this was like 1999, they said, "sorry we need a new engine" and disappeared until 2003when they unveiled HL2... but no TF2. TF2 wasn't unveiled for another three years.
I loved Team Fortress Classic for Half-Life 1 so much.

It's such a ashame that the sequel, when it finally arrived, had lost so much of what made the original special. I liked the screenshots they were showing off back around 2000 or so.

Team Fortress Classic is the only multiplayer fps I've played where I was addicted to it (Most of the time, I don't even try the multiplayer component to things like a Halo or Call of Duty and such since they're just not very enjoyable in multiplayer).

There were a few all nighters with that game back 12 years ago. I'll have to fire it up again since I'm sure there's still some activity on a few of the more popular maps (Was still a few hundred people playing at any time back 2-3 years ago at least).
post #25 of 33 Old 06-20-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I loved Team Fortress Classic for Half-Life 1 so much.

It's such a ashame that the sequel, when it finally arrived, had lost so much of what made the original special. I liked the screenshots they were showing off back around 2000 or so.

Team Fortress Classic is the only multiplayer fps I've played where I was addicted to it (Most of the time, I don't even try the multiplayer component to things like a Halo or Call of Duty and such since they're just not very enjoyable in multiplayer).

There were a few all nighters with that game back 12 years ago. I'll have to fire it up again since I'm sure there's still some activity on a few of the more popular maps (Was still a few hundred people playing at any time back 2-3 years ago at least).
Yea, I left that part out - but I wasn't a big fan of TF2 either. Almost ten years of waiting for a month of mostly disappointing gameplay. What's funny is that the original concept of TF2 was more or less copied by DICE for Battlefield 2.

If you want a game more like TFC check out the "Fortress Forever" mod, it came out in 2007 right around TF2's release.
post #26 of 33 Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to love playing HL2 Deathmath on Steam. Does anyone still play that? If so, I'll have to join Steam again (although I hate the huge, bloated software) and buy another copy of HL2.

Thanks for any info if anyone has any.
post #27 of 33 Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't have to buy another copy of HL2. Just download Steam and log into your account. You can re-download a game you bought for free unlimited times.
post #28 of 33 Old 06-21-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't have to buy another copy of HL2. Just download Steam and log into your account. You can re-download a game you bought for free unlimited times.

Thanks. I'm doing that now.
post #29 of 33 Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And as 6/22/2011 recedes into the time abyss...we get this gem from Gabe Newell.

http://www.1up.com/news/when-half-li...ou-know-answer

Does Valve care absolutely anything about fans of this game. This is the equivalent of the Fabled middle finger. Maybe it's time for us to accept that maybe Gordon is really just dead...Alex is his heaven fantasy...G-Man is the God Devil...and just move on.

Valve is giving nothing out. Not even Hope anymore.
post #30 of 33 Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 146
My prediction is Early October 2012. I also think this will be announced at Microsoft's e3 presser next year.

Valve likes money. Half-Life 3 = BIG MONEY. It's either 2012 or 2013.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page