AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Xbox Area (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-xbox-area/)
-   -   Need a Wireless Access Point for my 360 (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-xbox-area/1343509-need-wireless-access-point-my-360-a.html)

MercyfulFate 06-24-2011 07:32 PM

I need some advice on this one. Rather than spend more on the "official" adapter, I'd rather buy an inexpensive WAP to use as my situation is temporary.

Wiring it directly to the router is not an option, as it's too far and not under my control anyway.

The router is a Linksys WRT110 N Router. The issue I've found is some reviews for different access points say "Oh this won't work with the 360" etc. so it throws me off.

Does anyone know of a WAP (Or cheap router that can be configured to use as an AP) that will absolutely work on an N network with the 360?

ogbuehi 06-24-2011 07:51 PM

If you have a laptop try connectify. I run into this issue frequently when I travel. The majority of the hotels I wind up at don't provide an internet connection that my 360 can utilize to log onto live. I use connectify on my laptop and I can still receive a wireless signal and provide a WAP for any device at the same time. Perfect for temporary solutions. I only wish I'd found it sooner so I wouldn't have wasted money on a temp cheap router.

MercyfulFate 06-24-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

If you have a laptop try connectify. I run into this issue frequently when I travel. The majority of the hotels I wind up at don't provide an internet connection that my 360 can utilize to log onto live. I use connectify on my laptop and I can still receive a wireless signal and provide a WAP for any device at the same time. Perfect for temporary solutions. I only wish I'd found it sooner so I wouldn't have wasted money on a temp cheap router.

I'll have to give that a shot, trying to bridge the connection on the laptop didn't work so hopefully this will.

Tried it, unfortunately the only working laptop I have is running XP and it requires 7.

ogbuehi 06-24-2011 08:09 PM

That may be an issue with connectify as well. I believe you will need Windows 7 because of the way it can utilize the wireless connection.

Yrd 06-24-2011 08:21 PM

I'd suspect the people writing reviews that their AP didn't work with 360 don't set it up properly first. You have to setup the AP on a PC before you can plug the 360 into it.

I have 2 wireless APs. Both Netgear WNHDE111. They are 5ghz wireless N. They allow two ethernet connections, so I have my PS3 and 360 connected to one AP. I've read reviews that they would drop connections every now and again, sure enough they do drop connections. I have to reset the one I use for my PC sometimes frequently, something like 3-4 times in a row. The one my game machines are on doesn't need that done. But I'm not playing them every day like I use my PC daily.

MercyfulFate 06-24-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I'd suspect the people writing reviews that their AP didn't work with 360 don't set it up properly first. You have to setup the AP on a PC before you can plug the 360 into it.

I have 2 wireless APs. Both Netgear WNHDE111. They are 5ghz wireless N. They allow two ethernet connections, so I have my PS3 and 360 connected to one AP. I've read reviews that they would drop connections every now and again, sure enough they do drop connections. I have to reset the one I use for my PC sometimes frequently, something like 3-4 times in a row. The one my game machines are on doesn't need that done. But I'm not playing them every day like I use my PC daily.

You could be right, that is a problem with reviews. If I could just grab an AP at my local store and try it I'd have no issue. Problem is no one around here has any, except for one overpriced one at Best Buy.

Also, is there a huge issue if I use a G Access Point for an N wireless router? The router will work with G access points, I'm just concerned with the distance and dropping signal and such.

newfmp3 06-24-2011 08:50 PM

Linksys wrt54g running tomato firmware will run as wireless bridge or wireless repeater. Plug 360 into it via wire or wireless it connects to main router via wireless. Will it lag for online gaming? No idea.