Borderlands 2 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 850 Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 168
As with any game of this size, money in the beginning and while you're at lower levels is pretty tough to keep. I just hit level 22 last night and I always have around $30K on me. I was up to about $50K when I decided to buy a couple of items and then gamble my way back down to $30K. I also never did the money glitch, I just earned it from doing quests. Honestly, once you hit a certain level it seems you don't have to worry about money much anymore. I never glitched anything in the first Borderlands and at level 30 I hit the max and never went under it again.

Since it doesn't really have an effect on other players I don't have a problem with the glitch, but it's something that I'd never do as I enjoy playing the game as is. I kind of feel like it would spoil something for me.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 850 Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_5 View Post

Oh Spyder, everyone's antics upset you expect for your own wink.gif

Lolz. I could care less how anyone plays the game.

Having a billiony jillion dollars is like having the biggest penis on a planet with no women...it serves no purpose except to impress yourself.
post #363 of 850 Old 09-29-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Other than gambling and tipping someone way too much just to get an acid gun early, what good is money in this game. All the important stuff is bought with eridium. I prefer to find weapons and sheilds rather than buy them. (oddly I consider gambling "finding"...)
post #364 of 850 Old 09-29-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I guess you can't leisurely work your way through this game unless you are willing to suffer with less-than-stellar equipment, or you luck out with better drops when visitors are around. I'm still waiting for the tipping point where orange weapons show up in the machines even occasionally. It *seems* to have more to do with story progression than level, but I'm still working my way through a flood of side missions. I died twice trying to figure out how to kill Slappy with the equipment I have. The machines in Sanctuary occasionally offer better mods than what I carry so I pick them up, but two more levels and I get to use the stuff my friends dropped when they visited. I just don't want to beg them to keep coming by. The game may be oriented that way, but I'm not...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #365 of 850 Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

I guess you can't leisurely work your way through this game unless you are willing to suffer with less-than-stellar equipment, or you luck out with better drops when visitors are around. I'm still waiting for the tipping point where orange weapons show up in the machines even occasionally. It *seems* to have more to do with story progression than level, but I'm still working my way through a flood of side missions. I died twice trying to figure out how to kill Slappy with the equipment I have. The machines in Sanctuary occasionally offer better mods than what I carry so I pick them up, but two more levels and I get to use the stuff my friends dropped when they visited. I just don't want to beg them to keep coming by. The game may be oriented that way, but I'm not...

I have thousands of pulls on the one armed bandits and no orange weapons. Some people are just luckier than others. It's like finding Jimmy Jenkins or Donkey Mong. Some found them right out of the gate, while others had to run a level 10+ times to get them. It will probably take me forever with my luck.

That said, I'm not even sure I want an orange weapon for any other reason than the challenge of getting one. It will be overpowered for what, a couple of levels? My son was obliterating enemies with his, but now that we've leveled up, he's upset he can't dominate anymore. Besides, you shouldn't need anything like that to beat the game. I've taken down plenty of enemies with white or green equipment. Somethimes you simply have to re-think a strategy in order to advance. That's a good thing, imo.
post #366 of 850 Old 09-29-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

Other than gambling and tipping someone way too much just to get an acid gun early, what good is money in this game. All the important stuff is bought with eridium. I prefer to find weapons and sheilds rather than buy them. (oddly I consider gambling "finding"...)

respawning is very expensive.
post #367 of 850 Old 09-29-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
pandoran-slot-machines-day-3.JPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

The respawn fee is just a percentage of how much money you have isn't it? Seen several places where people respawned with 0 money and they just say "this ones on the house".
post #368 of 850 Old 09-29-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

Actually the poorer you are the cheaper it is and if you have no money you respawn for free.

Ok, a couple of days ago I wrote wondering how anyone would survive some sections without a turret. I have now played those sections with my Siren and I actually found them EASIER then I did with my Commando. I don't know if it is because I knew what to expect and made sure to have certain gear or if you get different groupings of enemies based on what character you play but it was a breeze. I only had more problems with a thresher but I think thats because last time my commando just dropped the turret and ran away and got the other things to fight it for him. I have not yet developed a good strategy for Threshers.

Also, my siren got a reprieve on Mighty Morphin only having to do it twice because I had used her when cooping with my coworker when he was doing that mission. I ended up, at that time, having to switch back to Axom because she was too weak. This time she did a lot better by herself because she was leveled up. Still would hate to have done that 5 times though.

One thing that was easier than I expected was the helicopter things. I normally drop a turret and hide but the Siren phaselock takes about half of their health a hit so I can actually take those things down quicker with a Siren.

So my evaulation so far is like it was with the first game. Siren > Commando. But we will see as I play them both further into the game. Then I may go back and play the other 3 (counting DLC). I know this game is a simple formula but I like it alot.
post #369 of 850 Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

That said, I'm not even sure I want an orange weapon for any other reason than the challenge of getting one. It will be overpowered for what, a couple of levels? My son was obliterating enemies with his, but now that we've leveled up, he's upset he can't dominate anymore. Besides, you shouldn't need anything like that to beat the game. I've taken down plenty of enemies with white or green equipment. Somethimes you simply have to re-think a strategy in order to advance. That's a good thing, imo.
Well, the orange weapons from BL1 usually had better specs, but several of my best weapons were purple. I am still using my BL1 weapon strategy. One top-damage plain sniper rifle, one sniper of every elemental type, two SMGs (still too early for the top-damage plain one, I guess), and one of every other weapon so I can always fire something. I expect to get an orange version of at least half of these before I end the first runthrough. If not, then the bazillions of guns thing has diluted the supply way too much.

Perhaps BL2 puts less emphasis on rarity, except for the special features. I expect great stopping power out of an orange sniper rifle, but if a purple has what I need that'll be OK. What I don't need is 1,000 damage but only one shot every 8 seconds, so I'm using rifles with large capacities that I can empty quickly even if each shot's damage isn't super, and hope that far far better ones are coming. Preferably in orange...

post #370 of 850 Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I started my second play through and the items area actually getting decent finally. It's getting a hell of a lot harder to kill and stay alive too. I've found a couple orange items (1st play) and so far none of them are worth replacing the stuff I had. One grenade called rolling thunder was awesome to watch, but it just didn't have the damage output.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #371 of 850 Old 09-29-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

RAAK, the Cliffracers of Borderlands. I wonder if they were meant as another hOmage.
post #372 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

Actually the poorer you are the cheaper it is and if you have no money you respawn for free.
Ok, a couple of days ago I wrote wondering how anyone would survive some sections without a turret. I have now played those sections with my Siren and I actually found them EASIER then I did with my Commando. I don't know if it is because I knew what to expect and made sure to have certain gear or if you get different groupings of enemies based on what character you play but it was a breeze. I only had more problems with a thresher but I think thats because last time my commando just dropped the turret and ran away and got the other things to fight it for him. I have not yet developed a good strategy for Threshers.
Also, my siren got a reprieve on Mighty Morphin only having to do it twice because I had used her when cooping with my coworker when he was doing that mission. I ended up, at that time, having to switch back to Axom because she was too weak. This time she did a lot better by herself because she was leveled up. Still would hate to have done that 5 times though.
One thing that was easier than I expected was the helicopter things. I normally drop a turret and hide but the Siren phaselock takes about half of their health a hit so I can actually take those things down quicker with a Siren.
So my evaulation so far is like it was with the first game. Siren > Commando. But we will see as I play them both further into the game. Then I may go back and play the other 3 (counting DLC). I know this game is a simple formula but I like it alot.

Funny. I'm having the exact opposite experience. My solo run has been with the Siren, and it's required some real work. The co-op with the family is a few levels behind my solo game and has me dropping Axton's turret and decimating everything. I think the knowing what to expect plays a huge role. I agree about the Buzzards, Siren's Phaslock is awesome on those annoying helis. Threshers are a Siren's bane. Speaking of Bane...hilarious!
Quote:

Well, the orange weapons from BL1 usually had better specs, but several of my best weapons were purple. I am still using my BL1 weapon strategy. One top-damage plain sniper rifle, one sniper of every elemental type, two SMGs (still too early for the top-damage plain one, I guess), and one of every other weapon so I can always fire something. I expect to get an orange version of at least half of these before I end the first runthrough. If not, then the bazillions of guns thing has diluted the supply way too much.
Perhaps BL2 puts less emphasis on rarity, except for the special features. I expect great stopping power out of an orange sniper rifle, but if a purple has what I need that'll be OK. What I don't need is 1,000 damage but only one shot every 8 seconds, so I'm using rifles with large capacities that I can empty quickly even if each shot's damage isn't super, and hope that far far better ones are coming. Preferably in orange...

I use much of the same strategy in regard to one elemental of every type and one of every gun, but I prefer the old "one shot, one kill" technique. A sniper with a fire rate of over 1.0 is a machine gun, imo. No good to me if the recoil prevents me from getting headshots 100% of the time. As for you "expecting to get one orange version of half of these on the first playthough" I say GOOD LUCK! I haven't got a single orange item and I'm likely 75% finished and have pulled the slots until Maya's arms nearly fell off.
post #373 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use much of the same strategy in regard to one elemental of every type and one of every gun, but I prefer the old "one shot, one kill" technique. A sniper with a fire rate of over 1.0 is a machine gun, imo. No good to me if the recoil prevents me from getting headshots 100% of the time. As for you "expecting to get one orange version of half of these on the first playthough" I say GOOD LUCK! I haven't got a single orange item and I'm likely 75% finished and have pulled the slots until Maya's arms nearly fell off.
I've poured my Badass points into stuff like recoil reduction. Plus there's the idea of using a sniper rifle like it's a pistol which works well, and will probably work better once I get to the part in the tree where Zero's from-the-hip snipering gets a boost. One sniper rifle has a 26-shot clip which I have to wonder about, but since it's the slag one I haven't used it a lot yet. Still no explosive sniper yet, though. Not sure why.

There were changeovers in BL1 where better weapons worked their way into drops and vending machines. I'd have to fire it up to remember the name, but one location had several chests in the back that, as time went on, included orange weapons on a fairly regular basis. I expected a similar game this time, so to hear that it's not going that way kinda sucks. If I NEED friends to play with me to get better drops, that's one thing. If the machines and Marcus himself are almost orange-free that's quite another. I get an occasional dark-purple item out of the lockers in Sanctuary now. At almost Level 21, I want them elsewhere REALLY soon or I'm certainly not going to think Borderlands 3 will be such a great proposition...

post #374 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 07:10 AM

Weapon color/stats is a classic Borderlands trap, imo.

"Best" gun I ever got "offered" was a rifle in a machine. It had ridicuous stats, but was 5X the money I currently had, so I never bought it. Guess what? It was...

BLUE!

Thing is, even if I had bought what appeared to be a great gun or found something supposedly "great,", what if it was a fire weapon? Is that going to kick the crap out of robots? Nope. What if it is a pistol that shoots rockets, but has horrible accuracy? Or is one of those garbage guns where the accuracy supposedly gets better the more you shoot it, yet has a clip of 5? And on and on. Some of my favorite equipment is green or blue, while alot of purple stuff gets sold immediately. Even purple items get useless pretty quickly, and are replaced with "lesser colored" things.

Aside from some crazy effect that simply looks cool, ala the talking gun, etc., specialty items are just that...a novelty and little more.
post #375 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

My best gun is a Purple gun. It is a fire SMG one of the kind that explodes on reload. I can decimate bandits with it but yes it is not good against robots or any of the fire enemies. I thought I picked up a SMG that was blue that was better, all the stats seem to indicate it was so. So I passed that gun to my Siren. Axom misses it terribly. The one with the better stats cant seem to hit crap and doesnt light stuff on fire half as much. frown.gif

And I hate guns without scopes (except shotguns....those have no need for scopes). I will take a weaker gun if it has better aiming than a more powerful one.
Also prefer a high fire rate sniper rifle, but not the burst fire ones. I want to be able to pull the trigger at a specific speed and get about 5 shots off before reload if possible.
post #376 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Even if they're not very good, you might want to hold on to any purple guns you find for a while - there's an achievement for having purple weapons in all four equipped slots.
post #377 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Even if they're not very good, you might want to hold on to any purple guns you find for a while - there's an achievement for having purple weapons in all four equipped slots.

Fyi, you need 4 weapons, a shield, a class mod, a grenade mod, AND a relic (all in purple or better) to get the cheevo.

Hardest one to get by far is the relic, imo. Dump your purple crap in the bank and when you get them all, equip them and be done! smile.gif
post #378 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I agree that blue can be good, even of not great. In BL1, several blue sniper rifles were over 600 damage early in the game, even if they had slow fire rates.

Like I say, I get purples out of lockers, and some have names and red text. That helps, but until I see a few orange ones not dropped when friends are around I just won't be happy...

post #379 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless someone considers it a spoiler, what kind of loot can I get out of the special Sanctuary chest at Level 21?

I picked up another key from the code they tweeted Saturday, and if I can expect a purple (or heck, orange) sniper rifle I'd use one now.

That'd leave one key for later, unless I luck into getting another code before it expires. AFAIK, I have no alarm system available to filter tweets and have my phone go crazy when I should read one...

post #380 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

It's random gear like any other chest, but I think it's always purple stuff. I opened mine not realizing it was the golden key chest the first day i got to sanctuary. It had 3 shields that were not that good.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #381 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

OK. I can hang on. I have a Level 26 sniper rifle with 650 damage in storage. And the 2 pistols I got after also opening it were also lame. Still 2 keys due to the tweeted one.

Interestingly, I bought a yellow (light orange??) shield named The Transformer in Ned's office just after a friend left my game. He was with me trying to get a Minecraft gun that didn't appear, and was never in Sanctuary where I bought the shield. No idea if his presence led to the availability of top-level stuff or my turning 21 but if I don't see any for a while I'll ask him to stop by again.

I'll be sure to ask him for all his stuff once he finishes his second playthrough. He may not be a 2.5 kind of guy...

post #382 of 850 Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Still can't seem to find the mission to get the 4th weapon slot...

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #383 of 850 Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

How far have you progressed on the main story? It is main story quest that gives you the slot I believe. Telling you the name would be a spoiler.
post #384 of 850 Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:

OK. I can hang on. I have a Level 26 sniper rifle with 650 damage in storage. And the 2 pistols I got after also opening it were also lame. Still 2 keys due to the tweeted one.
Interestingly, I bought a yellow (light orange??) shield named The Transformer in Ned's office just after a friend left my game. He was with me trying to get a Minecraft gun that didn't appear, and was never in Sanctuary where I bought the shield. No idea if his presence led to the availability of top-level stuff or my turning 21 but if I don't see any for a while I'll ask him to stop by again.
I'll be sure to ask him for all his stuff once he finishes his second playthrough. He may not be a 2.5 kind of guy...

Seems you're not averted to taking gifts, so why not just go online and ask someone to cheat you up an entire arsenal of orange weapons, shields, mods, etc? Honestly, I don't think you're going to ever find that "magical, one sniper to rule them all" that you seem to be seeking...regardless of whatever color it is. Personally, I have no interest in a gun that nukes every enemy on the entire level with one single bullet fired from it's holier-than-thou barrel, but that's just me.

Fwiw, a L26 sniper that does 650 damage is nothing special in any way. I had several that did that much damage or more at that stage. Only one of them was purple or better, and I had at least one of each element and shot type. (Burst, bolt-action, etc.) You're sure to find a plethora of them as well with very little effort.
post #385 of 850 Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seems you're not averted to taking gifts, so why not just go online and ask someone to cheat you up an entire arsenal of orange weapons, shields, mods, etc? Honestly, I don't think you're going to ever find that "magical, one sniper to rule them all" that you seem to be seeking...regardless of whatever color it is. Personally, I have no interest in a gun that nukes every enemy on the entire level with one single bullet fired from it's holier-than-thou barrel, but that's just me.
Fwiw, a L26 sniper that does 650 damage is nothing special in any way. I had several that did that much damage or more at that stage. Only one of them was purple or better, and I had at least one of each element and shot type. (Burst, bolt-action, etc.) You're sure to find a plethora of them as well with very little effort.
"Cheat you up"?? Where's the fun in that? Trade, maybe, but I have nothing decent to give. That's why when a friend has something extra and leaves it for me to grow into, I'm perfectly OK with that. I had zero interactions with other people in Borderlands 1 so I'm happy for the help.

I just don't see where I should use crap weapons to try to win the game. There are non-crap weapons available at random, and I spend plenty of time in quit/continue shopping sessions to try to get them to show up. Time I could be spending moving forward, but that's not how I *like* playing Borderlands. If another person's thrill is to use weapons that are too underpowered so they die 48 times per mission, that's fine for THAT person. Or, they are another phenom like the Mass Effect 3 guys who did Gold multiplayer with a dull butterknife so crap weapons are just fine. I'm still finding things that eventually die after costing me a few restorations. I don't LIKE that.

650 damage is 50% over what I carry now for my heavy plain sniper rifle. Nothing stronger that shoots quickly has shown up for me yet. A plain SMG with 104 damage is now my 'power' SMG, but it's hardly great. Zero needs good weapons. I guess ALL the characters NEED good weapons, and have to settle for good enough. I may not find a Bessie in this version of the game, but that doesn't excuse not trying. When I start killing lots of big things from long distances, THEN I'll enjoy this game more.

Nice to hear a plethora awaits. I just hope that group appears in MY game sometime before I need them...

post #386 of 850 Old 10-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So I do like this game so far...but (as the first 1) I am getting confused in some areas. I hit level 14 last night and eventually destroyed the W4RD3N but what keeps bugging me is should I be at a higher level before hitting these sort of missions? Since hitting the side mission bug in Sanctuary I have been a bit weary of doing any. I have barely any cash now (about $300) and am on my way back to Sanctuary. Should I be out and about killing those damn spider things to get more cash and loot? I think this is eventually why I stopped playing Borderlands 1....It eventually got to frustrating on my own and I lost interest.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #387 of 850 Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Missions have a level and difficulty mentioned at the bottom. If you're Level 14, I wouldn't start a mission at a higher level unless you have seriously good weapons. 'Normal' difficulty does not make for easy. 'Trivial' can still be annoying.

Kill what's easy to kill, over and over, until you don't see any XP coming from the kills, then try other enemies. Quit and continue to do it again. Leveling up is slow that way, but it does work.

What 'side mission bug'?

And have you tried farming Sanctuary? Plenty of free weapons in lockers, Michael hands out a free weapon, and it can be repeated over and over if you quit and continue...

post #388 of 850 Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

If you don't do side missions I don't know how you would be high enough level to survive most of the story missions. Unless you do a lot of just grinding (running around and killing stuff).

I always avoid the main plot missions until all side quest (or most since I hate the timed delivery ones) are done. That should assure you are high enough level to survive the story mission. At least I assume the game designers designed enough side quest to get you were you needed to be for the story.
post #389 of 850 Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Once you max out eridium upgrades, eridium becomes pointless, and it annoys me when I get eridium jackpots at the slots...

Should be something I can put in the vault.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #390 of 850 Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I just got the donkey kong achievement, to funny.

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page