Deus Ex - Human Revolution - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 179
The gamestop pre-order is a mission pack bonus and a device that lets you auto-hack anything. Except, the device has to be purchased at a store, for LOTS of cash and they only care a few at at ime. Each unit is useable once, so its kind of lame, if you buy them, save them for super hard hacks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you loved the first 2, youll love this one. Im really diggin it.
post #33 of 54 Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

If you loved the first 2, youll love this one. Im really diggin it.

I've dabbled with the first never played through it tho. I should get it and use some of the mods that improve the graphics and such.. I played through invisible war.. At about 15 fps.. heh

What will become - Is my Will
post #34 of 54 Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Ok, played it for about 8 hours yesterday. My initial review.

Very disappointed in the game. Graphics are slightly better then an original Xbox game (looks about as good as Ridick did on the Xbox).

There are so many negatives. Getting shot turns the screen a bright red, making it impossible to see. Game is pretty hard, even on lower difficulties. Game was really designed for sneak and stealth, guns seemed to be added in after the fact.

When you shoot someone, 80% of the time they fall on their weapon. So now you have to click and drag them away, drop them, go back and clikc on the gun. Gets old fast.

There are almost no worthwhile level up skills to pick. One simple offensive ability, that is it, the rest are all run 2 seconds longer, more inventory slots, hack terminals, etc. very lame level up abilities, very lame.

Inventory is very limited, you have to spend precious level up points to increase its size so you can carry more, but then you can't level up other stuff.

The hacking in the game is the worse hacking game I ever seen and makes almost no sense.

When you start the first real mission, the main character is given a choice of stealth or guns. If you select guns you get an assault rifle with 10 bullets. Yes, 10 bullets and that is it. Later you find an ammo pack and it has 4 rounds. Picking up a weapon on the ground usually adds 1 - 4 rounds. Horrible ammo in this game, very limited and you always run out so you are stuck doing stealth anyway.

Voice acting on the main character is horrible and he acts horrible. Lines are rushed and sound bad. Voice acting on everyone else is spot on and actually impressive.

Sometimes you can skip what someone is saying, and sometimes you are stuck hearing them say every line with no ability to skip.

Controller layout is lame, with no ability to change. You actually have to push down the right trigger to aim down the weapon and click again to take it off. Absolutely horrible, whoever thought of that should be fired.

Running is very limited (unless you spend precious level up points), so you spend a LOT of time walking through the cities with nothing to do. They say it is an open world, but good luck finding anyone to give you a side quest. The city is huge, but you can spend 30 minutes going through a building, finding no one to talk to and getting 4 tranq darts for your efforts. Lame.

I am just about down with the second city in China and it is not getting any better. What a let down.

I am about 8 hours in and my experience has been the exact opposite. This game brings back lots of memories of the original - in a good way.

-I think the graphics are fine. Nothing spectacular but not bad either.

-The story is excellent. I was hooked in the first 5 minutes. Voice acting varies from good to average but nothing that I felt was jarring.

-Never had a problem with the red screen when engaging.

-If you get shot a few times you die. Its not COD. You have to consider that when you plan what you're going to do.

-I have never had a victim fall on their weapon. But since I search all of them anyways, moving them is really not an issue.

-There are numerous ways to upgrade your character depending on your play style. Many of the skills do not require energy (ie, are passive).

-I LOVE the hacking game. Compared to the pipes minigame in Bioshock its a vast improvement.

-I seem to remember getting 20 rounds for the assault rifle and by looking was easily able to find more as well as other gun options throughout the level.

-After the first mission, without looking I was given 2 side quests, 1 of which led to 2 more. (also, two of those led to additional tranc darts).

-Controls are different....but mostly because I've been playing alot of BC2 lately. I didn't think they were bad however.

You didn't complain about the one thing that has been driving me nuts and that is the load times....they're loooooooong.

It seems you were thinking this was a fps when its not. In that case it is probably not your cup of tea. There's a lot going on in this game if you take the time to look. You're 8 hours in and in China. I'm 8 hours in and haven't left Detroit and probably won't anytime soon.

Xbox handle: TheRotoman
post #35 of 54 Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoman View Post

-I seem to remember getting 20 rounds for the assault rifle and by looking was easily able to find more as well as other gun options throughout the level.

After I talked the leader into letting the hostage go, I went back through the whole complex and did find enough rifle rounds to have 60 on me for the next 'chapter'. I also finally saw all the ducts I could have used had I been sneaky enough to get to them AND had noticed them as I went by. Lesson learned for later I hope. BEST find short of the Praxis point was the damage upgrade (only SAW one) that I applied to the rifle so somebody might fall over faster later.

My first two Praxis points went to armor, the second two to the influencer. Seemed like a good investment if I'm expected to have people tell me things...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #36 of 54 Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoman View Post

It seems you were thinking this was a fps when its not. In that case it is probably not your cup of tea. There's a lot going on in this game if you take the time to look. You're 8 hours in and in China. I'm 8 hours in and haven't left Detroit and probably won't anytime soon.

i feel the exact same way the other poster did that you were responding to and no i was not expecting a FPS, i don't play single player FPS (except for half life) and think they are boring, this was being touted as mass effect/MGS hybrid like game (which is kind of is) but IMO just very poorly executed for all the reasons the 1st poster listed. I LOVE MGS and Mass effect, so obviously i thought i would love this game... but it seems to have just "missed the mark" so to say..
post #37 of 54 Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 PM

Just played the 1st mission and this game does not feel like the 1st Deus ex at all, for those who know DX 1 the conspiracy they'll understand what I mean.

The whole atmosphere of the game is just not there, graphics are not as detailed, all I see on the screen is yellow orange and shades of grey, the hacking is stupid to say the least, constantly out of ammo, hard to understand what is going on in the story, this character is lame, I would prefer JC denton, inventory set up is a joke, augs are a joke, the only thing I can honstly say I liked was the background music, other than that I haven't even finished the 1st mission (it's just stupid) I'll just keep it to sit on the shelf and collect dust just to say that I have the DX series complete in my collection.

Conclusion : if you haven't played DX before and you are new to it it's an average game, if you are a DX fan I'm sure you will be terribly dissapointed, they could have done a much better job for the awaiting gamers and fans, don't waste your $$$.
post #38 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess ignorance is bliss, since I like it. When I ran out of ammo and sneakiness wasn't working, I found out that if you run by a crowd and don't get shot, they don't pursue (so far). Maybe less XP gained but advancing the game isn't a bad idea.

Hacking is a decent game although the randomness of having a node not actually get captured once you try to do that is annoying. Several times, I had the cursor over the next node before realizing that the clock never started on the one I just left. Saving just before EVERY hack seems appropriate.

Still not sure how much stuff I can do in front of NPCs that aren't out to kill me. The cops seemed annoyed I was in their station, but I guess I'll have to see if someone attacks me if I try to hack a terminal while they stand there.

Inventory IS annoying, since I've had to drop one weapon to have room to apply upgrades to another, but it's livable until I'm swimming in points. I also will probably give up on carrying darts soon since there's no dart gun anyplace I've been. My combat rifle now has extra damage and a laser sight, so I'll get by.

My one regret so far is not getting the ability to jump off roofs and live. I *have* to make that the next get. Sure, the Typhoon seemed useful, but so is getting into alleys without wasting all my ammo.

Fun is where you find it...

post #39 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockusa View Post

Just played the 1st mission and this game does not feel like the 1st Deus ex at all, for those who know DX 1 the conspiracy they'll understand what I mean.

The whole atmosphere of the game is just not there, graphics are not as detailed, all I see on the screen is yellow orange and shades of grey, the hacking is stupid to say the least, constantly out of ammo, hard to understand what is going on in the story, this character is lame, I would prefer JC denton, inventory set up is a joke, augs are a joke, the only thing I can honstly say I liked was the background music, other than that I haven't even finished the 1st mission (it's just stupid) I'll just keep it to sit on the shelf and collect dust just to say that I have the DX series complete in my collection.

Conclusion : if you haven't played DX before and you are new to it it's an average game, if you are a DX fan I'm sure you will be terribly dissapointed, they could have done a much better job for the awaiting gamers and fans, don't waste your $$$.

So you've played part of ONE mission and you're deeming it a fail? Ok.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #40 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

IInventory IS annoying, since I've had to drop one weapon to have room to apply upgrades to another, but it's livable until I'm swimming in points. I also will probably give up on carrying darts soon since there's no dart gun anyplace I've been. My combat rifle now has extra damage and a laser sight, so I'll get by.

I maxed out my inventory and you still do not have enough room to carry what you want. You can't carry all weapons. And since ammo only stacks to a certain number, it will split out the ammo packs into another slot if you pick up to much (ala pistol ammo since everyone has it). Upgrades take up so much space you have to always drop a weapon to pick the upgrade up, apply it, then pick up what you dropped. Same for some of the ammo packs.

One of the stupidest things is if you have a weapon in your inventory, and it has NO ammo in it, and you try to pick an ammo pack up for it, if your invetory is full you can't pick up the ammo. You have to drop something, pick the ammo up, load the weapon into your hands, manually load the ammo, then pick up what you dropped. Why couldn't they program it to automatically put picked up ammo into the gun/rifle if there is enough room. Becomes a huge pain.

post #41 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I maxed out my inventory and you still do not have enough room to carry what you want. You can't carry all weapons. And since ammo only stacks to a certain number, it will split out the ammo packs into another slot if you pick up to much (ala pistol ammo since everyone has it). Upgrades take up so much space you have to always drop a weapon to pick the upgrade up, apply it, then pick up what you dropped. Same for some of the ammo packs.

One of the stupidest things is if you have a weapon in your inventory, and it has NO ammo in it, and you try to pick an ammo pack up for it, if your invetory is full you can't pick up the ammo. You have to drop something, pick the ammo up, load the weapon into your hands, manually load the ammo, then pick up what you dropped. Why couldn't they program it to automatically put picked up ammo into the gun/rifle if there is enough room. Becomes a huge pain.

that is the thing, there are soooo many little things like this that surprise me they didn't take care..
post #42 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 PM

I've only finished the first major (post-opening credits) mission, so a couple of hours in, but I'm really enjoying it. The original Deus Ex was one of the best games I've ever played, and I even enjoyed Invisible War in spite of how they "console-ized" it. FWIW, Project Snowblind was also really fun, though more of a run-and-gun FPS.

As others have said, it definitely brings back memories of the first game, especially the music. They've done a great job retaining the atmosphere of the series...
post #43 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Failure would be an understatement, boring is much more appropriate, comparing it to the 1st DX with the crappy graphics and all, if you don't compare it it's just a regular FPS stealth game more or less, nothing to get excited about.
post #44 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:

They could if they wanted to, but here is where politics comes in, to make the game "look" more sophisticated they made it more difficult to stock your inventory, so the consumer has something to brag about on the reviews, if you ever played Hidden & dangerous the WWII game it had the same set up, terrible inventory cintrol and had to spend 5 minutes just to load your gun with ammo, which made the game boring and took all the fun out of it.

That's what developers do when they run out of original ideas and start borrowing bits & pieces from other games...why ???? because when Warren Spector was the producer DX was kick ass game even 10 yrs ago, now that he's gone it's just a regular game to waste your time with.

Games like DX should've been left alone and go down in history as one hit wonder, look at Duke nukem forever they F@#$%#@ it all up
post #45 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockusa View Post

Failure would be an understatement, boring is much more appropriate...

Completely agree. Bored me to death. This one went back on day one.

I'm starting to think that developers will never come up with anything new again.
post #46 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post
Completely agree. Bored me to death. This one went back on day one.

I'm starting to think that developers will never come up with anything new again.
The originals : DX, Wolfenstein, Duke nukem, Medal Of honor, COD, GTA, DOOM, FEAR, SOF, Quake, UT, all the rest are just fluffer copies of copies of other copies of those originals.
post #47 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

yup trading this in tuesday at gamestop when i pick up madden, i gave it about 3 hours (well to be fair at least one of those hours were me staring at the loading screen!)
post #48 of 54 Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I maxed out my inventory and you still do not have enough room to carry what you want. You can't carry all weapons. And since ammo only stacks to a certain number, it will split out the ammo packs into another slot if you pick up to much (ala pistol ammo since everyone has it).

Ah. Well, I'm beginning to reevaluate my choice in weapon based on that. The combat rifle has no single-shot mode to economize on ammo, and I'm now out. If the 'patriot missile' upgrade I read about in a review does show up, I'll be very happy. I did notice an abundance of pistol ammo so a laser sight on that might help, if another one is available later.

I was handed a couple of the unlock bonus devices in storage units, one of which got a Level 3 safe open sooner than I would have. I do wish some of those PDAs had directions to the loot they mention, since I will toss the machine pistol to make room for more of those. VERY uneconomical kill-per-bullet.

Typhoon has so far proved to be a waste of points. I ran up to a group and set it off, but the bad guys (seemingly vulnerable) were still there and immediately killed me. Maybe later...

post #49 of 54 Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, one mystery solved. I've been VERY slow at reading my email, and just found one from Tuesday from GameStop containing my pre-order code.

SO, with no fair way to hand it out, all I can do is let it go to the first person who finds it. Not sure it'd stack with another different pre-order so let's try to be fair out there. Social engineering can probably get you one anyway like I did, until they run out...

M2X2J-6JMFC-QF47V-H3HVH-F3HPZ

post #50 of 54 Old 08-27-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

oh yeah since i am trading in my game and i never used the code here it is...
ty97v df4rj m4j7h 93h24 dfr2z
post #51 of 54 Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I bought this game last week, beat it a couple of days ago, and sold it back today. Overall, I found it a moderately entertaining game marred by a few bothersome design decisions.

There is definitely a scarcity of ammo given (1) the number of rounds it takes to bring some enemies down and (2) the amount of ammo you can acquire for each weapon via stores and fallen enemies. Weapon upgrades such as damage or ammo capacity don't really seem to make much of a difference.

Given the scarcity of ammo, you really have to play the game with a focus on stealth and select your upgrades accordingly. You also really need to beef up your hacking skills since they are such an integral part of the game.

The problem with focusing on stealth is that the boss battles that dot the game are straightforward run-n-gun encounters where your stealth abilities give you a zero advantage and it becomes all about having as much firepower as possible.

As such, you end up sneaking around most of the time and hoarding your ammo for the boss encounters and occasional sections where you run into too many foes to easily avoid them all. Even worse, an event late in the game renders the augments you've carefully cultivated completely useless for a key encounter.

For all the "choices" you have in how you play the game, the endings all happen based on one single choice you make right at the very end. Regardless of whether you didn't kill a single soul or laid waste to everyone, regardless of whether you complete every sidequest or skip most of them, regardless of whether you play the game as a saint or a complete jerk, the way the game is constructed allows you to select and see all the endings in a matter of minutes.

The endings themselves are very unsatisfying and consist of boring, pretentious narrations played over stock footage of world events, natural disasters and the like. After so much effort to get there the payoff was a big letdown for me and I found myself very eager to delete the savegames off my 360 and sell the game back.
post #52 of 54 Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Even worse, an event late in the game renders the augments you've carefully cultivated completely useless for a key encounter.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Not if you don't get the new "upgrade".

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 54 Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I picked this game up during the sale last week on XBL, and have never played a Deus Ex game before. Does anyone have any pointers for me so I can jump in and do good?

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #54 of 54 Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I picked this game up during the sale last week on XBL, and have never played a Deus Ex game before. Does anyone have any pointers for me so I can jump in and do good?
To get your augments upgraded quickly, look for the spoilers on how to hack the same device repeatedly and get lots and lots of credits to buy praxis points.

Part of the trick to success is finding doors to hack at Saris HQ that give a Nuke Virus, which will make hacking easier. Once you have a bunch of the viruses, you are golden.

I never finished this game due to wanting to get a specific Achievement I wasn't able to do at the time, and I got nearly all the way back through to it but became distracted by other, newer games. However, I had almost all the augments completely filled out using this trick, and like 100 Nuke Viruses in inventory for later use. Not sure when I'll get to it...

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page