Deus Ex - Human Revolution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 08-18-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys, my review copy arrived yesterday.

http://twitpic.com/67nu5n

Tell me, what would you like to get out of a DE:HR review? And I mean specifically, what would you like to know about?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I played the original EX a long time ago but never played the sequel. Can you compare this new "prequel" to the original game? we know there would be graphic upgrades but I'm more interested if this one follows closely to the original game at all
post #3 of 54 Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 713
awesome, i (personally) want to hear about the gameplay, how "generic" is it? How "tactical" do you have to be or can you just run in like every FPS gun blazing? How would you rate it against other games? Why is my wife so moody? How many hours to beat it? you know typical review like stuff
post #4 of 54 Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

Why is my wife so moody?

This is all I need to know too, perfect!

On the game side, in addition to benjamin's questions, I'm really interested in the storyline/cut scenes. I may be one of the few people who cringed when I saw the goofy looking reporter, the cheesy "tough guy bad guy", and the pretty awful voice acting (with the exception of Christian Bale).

-JR

post #5 of 54 Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Liked: 93
From the first hour or so that I've played, the game is hot. If it was still just Eidos in charge, they would have shipped it last winter as a terrible mess. Square seems to have given them the cash, support, and time to polish the title to the level that it deserves.

I don't care about either of the first two, as the first was never not a rough beta, and the second was just a piece of crap, but Human Revolution has me excited.
post #6 of 54 Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
day 1 purchase for me!
post #7 of 54 Old 08-18-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

From the first hour or so that I've played, the game is hot. If it was still just Eidos in charge, they would have shipped it last winter as a terrible mess. Square seems to have given them the cash, support, and time to polish the title to the level that it deserves.

I don't care about either of the first two, as the first was never not a rough beta, and the second was just a piece of crap, but Human Revolution has me excited.

what makes it so good?? did you get an early copy??
post #8 of 54 Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by warcrow View Post

Ok guys, my review copy arrived yesterday.

http://twitpic.com/67nu5n

Tell me, what would you like to get out of a DE:HR review? And I mean specifically, what would you like to know about?

Curious to know if the rumored 25-30 hours of gameplay is true.

post #9 of 54 Old 08-22-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
WOW, ther reviews are in:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...critic-reviews

metacritic score of 90...... freakin awesome, I might have to pick this up.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #10 of 54 Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Not released for the pc until the 23 =(

What will become - Is my Will
post #11 of 54 Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 PM

I actually beat it a few days ago if anyone has any questions, great game to break in my new 47" tv lol. It took me about 23 hours to beat it, but a I botched a side mission in Shanghai, and on the last level skipped two secondary missions. Very fun game, with lot's of customization. I'd highly recommend trying to ignore pocket secretary's and emails, they spoil the twists!
post #12 of 54 Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp4nd4l View Post

I actually beat it a few days ago if anyone has any questions, great game to break in my new 47" tv lol. It took me about 23 hours to beat it, but a I botched a side mission in Shanghai, and on the last level skipped two secondary missions. Very fun game, with lot's of customization. I'd highly recommend trying to ignore pocket secretary's and emails, they spoil the twists!

so what do you think is the minimum time to beat the game, if you don't do the side missions??
post #13 of 54 Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Cmon Warcrow, your killin me LOL, how is it? As good as the first?
post #14 of 54 Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 AM

I'd say, on medium difficulty, and if you have a respectable level of skill, 18 hours, skipping all side missions. There's only 2 quest hubs that get reused (so 4), and 5 (possibly 6) long instanced missions.
post #15 of 54 Old 08-23-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm annoyed. You'd think GameStop would ship to arrive on the release date, and you'd be wrong...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #16 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Thats why I never order games I really want online...
post #17 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

Thats why I never order games I really want online...

Amazon is excellent with free release-day delivery on many new games for Prime members, or $0.99 for non-Prime. Plus this game gave a $10 Amazon promotional credit, which is very common. And pre-orders are often a few bucks cheaper. I heart Amazon.

The game is awesome. I got through the first mission, and it wasn't as free as I expected. At one point I was hiding in a storage room and wanting to go over a wall and find a way to sneak past guards, but it wouldn't allow that. But I have a feeling the first mission is very linear to introduce what can and can't be done in stages. It's a very effective and immersive way to start the game.

Playing with 5.1 headphones is great - the sound design and music are awesome. The level design is very good, but I would call the graphics "average" for today's standard. The character's faces look limited and a bit strange on some.

I'm looking forward to diving deeper into this game!

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #18 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Ok, played it for about 8 hours yesterday. My initial review.

Very disappointed in the game. Graphics are slightly better then an original Xbox game (looks about as good as Ridick did on the Xbox).

There are so many negatives. Getting shot turns the screen a bright red, making it impossible to see. Game is pretty hard, even on lower difficulties. Game was really designed for sneak and stealth, guns seemed to be added in after the fact.

When you shoot someone, 80% of the time they fall on their weapon. So now you have to click and drag them away, drop them, go back and clikc on the gun. Gets old fast.

There are almost no worthwhile level up skills to pick. One simple offensive ability, that is it, the rest are all run 2 seconds longer, more inventory slots, hack terminals, etc. very lame level up abilities, very lame.

Inventory is very limited, you have to spend precious level up points to increase its size so you can carry more, but then you can't level up other stuff.

The hacking in the game is the worse hacking game I ever seen and makes almost no sense.

When you start the first real mission, the main character is given a choice of stealth or guns. If you select guns you get an assault rifle with 10 bullets. Yes, 10 bullets and that is it. Later you find an ammo pack and it has 4 rounds. Picking up a weapon on the ground usually adds 1 - 4 rounds. Horrible ammo in this game, very limited and you always run out so you are stuck doing stealth anyway.

Voice acting on the main character is horrible and he acts horrible. Lines are rushed and sound bad. Voice acting on everyone else is spot on and actually impressive.

Sometimes you can skip what someone is saying, and sometimes you are stuck hearing them say every line with no ability to skip.

Controller layout is lame, with no ability to change. You actually have to push down the right trigger to aim down the weapon and click again to take it off. Absolutely horrible, whoever thought of that should be fired.

Running is very limited (unless you spend precious level up points), so you spend a LOT of time walking through the cities with nothing to do. They say it is an open world, but good luck finding anyone to give you a side quest. The city is huge, but you can spend 30 minutes going through a building, finding no one to talk to and getting 4 tranq darts for your efforts. Lame.

I am just about down with the second city in China and it is not getting any better. What a let down.

post #19 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Very disappointed in the game. Graphics are slightly better then an original Xbox game (looks about as good as Ridick did on the Xbox).

There are so many negatives. Getting shot turns the screen a bright red, making it impossible to see. Game is pretty hard, even on lower difficulties. Game was really designed for sneak and stealth, guns seemed to be added in after the fact.

When you shoot someone, 80% of the time they fall on their weapon. So now you have to click and drag them away, drop them, go back and clikc on the gun. Gets old fast.

There are almost no worthwhile level up skills to pick. One simple offensive ability, that is it, the rest are all run 2 seconds longer, more inventory slots, hack terminals, etc. very lame level up abilities, very lame.

Inventory is very limited, you have to spend precious level up points to increase its size so you can carry more, but then you can't level up other stuff.

The hacking in the game is the worse hacking game I ever seen and makes almost no sense.

When you start the first real mission, the main character is given a choice of stealth or guns. If you select guns you get an assault rifle with 10 bullets. Yes, 10 bullets and that is it. Later you find an ammo pack and it has 4 rounds. Picking up a weapon on the ground usually adds 1 - 4 rounds. Horrible ammo in this game, very limited and you always run out so you are stuck doing stealth anyway.

Voice acting on the main character is horrible and he acts horrible. Lines are rushed and sound bad. Voice acting on everyone else is spot on and actually impressive.

Sometimes you can skip what someone is saying, and sometimes you are stuck hearing them say every line with no ability to skip.

Controller layout is lame, with no ability to change. You actually have to push down the right trigger to aim down the weapon and click again to take it off. Absolutely horrible, whoever thought of that should be fired.

Running is very limited (unless you spend precious level up points), so you spend a LOT of time walking through the cities with nothing to do. They say it is an open world, but good luck finding anyone to give you a side quest. The city is huge, but you can spend 30 minutes going through a building, finding no one to talk to and getting 4 tranq darts for your efforts. Lame.

I am just about down with the second city in China and it is not getting any better. What a let down.

I haven't played the console version but I doubt the pc version is a whole lot different. I disagree with many of your statements. Did you expect a bad ass master chief like trooper from the get go? This isn't supposed to be a fps. Hence the non cod like controls.

I didn't have an issue with the graphics even on a lower end alienware laptop. Looked good enough for me to enjoy and I didn't feel like I was playing an xbox game graphically. They aren't out of this world but they get the job done well enough in my opinion.

Hacking didn't make sense at first but after a bit it does. I skipped the tutorial not sure if it helps out a lot or not.

Gun play felt satisfying.. Once again not out of this world esp if you're hoping for it to be as awesome as some of the big budget fps on the 360. You're not going to run into a room of 4 men esp at the start and gun them down without taking a pounding. Cover is a must as well as retreating and making them come to you.

Stealth is pretty awesome if not only for the fact you get more exp for stealth-fully taking on baddies. I wish that they had given more exp for blasting enemies as well though..

YMMV

I have put about 20 or so hours in so far.. Very enjoyable. Makes me want to play the first.

What will become - Is my Will
post #20 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
I forgot to mention that I think the cover mechanics are very well done. It's very easy to go from first-person view to 3rd with cover to peek around and over edges. And slipping around corners or rolling to another cover spot is easy to do too.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
post #21 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just moved and can't afford a new game, if you don't like it maybe you can give it to me.

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #22 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, it arrived this afternoon.

Did the pre-order bonus come inside anyone's Augmented edition? I looked through the books and didn't find anything except the Sqaure-Enix card to get points for purchasing their games.

The lady at the local GameStop I called said that in-store the code had been printing on receipts, and she couldn't say for sure that the plan was for online orders to have it in the boxes.

She gave me a code that downloaded the mission pack so I'll start the game soon and see if the extra weapons were in that pack. If anyone knows different, like there were two codes, let me know...

post #23 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

OK, it arrived this afternoon.

Did the pre-order bonus come inside anyone's Augmented edition? I looked through the books and didn't find anything except the Sqaure-Enix card to get points for purchasing their games.

The lady at the local GameStop I called said that in-store the code had been printing on receipts, and she couldn't say for sure that the plan was for online orders to have it in the boxes.

She gave me a code that downloaded the mission pack so I'll start the game soon and see if the extra weapons were in that pack. If anyone knows different, like there were two codes, let me know...

not sure what the 360 bonus is, but if it's the silenced sniper and stuff its kind of useless.... i'm having a hard time finding any sniper ammo, and ammo is in pretty short supply anyway.

been playing the pc leak for a while now (sure, not quite ethical, but i did preorder and pay for the game, so big deal), sure looks good with DX11 and tessellation... great game though, still considering picking this up on 360 as well.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #24 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
BTW -

Bought your *PC* copy of Deus Ex from Gamestop? Guess what? They opened your copy and took a OnLive free coupon out of it.

http://kotaku.com/5834002/gamestop-p...-them-like-new

Yet another reason not to shop at GameStop.

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/119/1190175p1.html

post #25 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

the past few times I've shopped at gamestop I noticed DLC cards and such missing, I actually had to ask for them and the little puke pulled it out from under the counter.

they do this crap all of the time... haven't shopped there in a long time.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #26 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard View Post

BTW -

Bought your *PC* copy of Deus Ex from Gamestop? Guess what? They opened your copy and took a OnLive free coupon out of it.

http://kotaku.com/5834002/gamestop-p...-them-like-new

Yet another reason not to shop at GameStop.

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/119/1190175p1.html

they've now pulled the game from the shelves pending recall.

post #27 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WOW, i came here to type my initial review of the game and i can't now, because you took all the words out of my mouth... i could not agree more, i was excited for this game and after playing i doubt it will keep my interest long enough to even finish it... overall feels like a poor mans MGS....
post #28 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

WOW, i came here to type my initial review of the game and i can't now, because you took all the words out of my mouth... i could not agree more, i was excited for this game and after playing i doubt it will keep my interest long enough to even finish it... overall feels like a poor mans MGS....

I feel the opposite... I was sure it would suck and ended up really liking it. Good mix of FPS, a dash of MGS, and a sprinkle of splinter cell with some RPG-ish skill upgrades and inventory management.

post #29 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

not sure what the 360 bonus is, but if it's the silenced sniper and stuff its kind of useless.... i'm having a hard time finding any sniper ammo, and ammo is in pretty short supply anyway.

Turns out all the stuff was in the one download. Once I got on the helicopter, I was thanked for my pre-order and given the remote-control explosives. I have a feeling they won't be plentiful so I'll treat them like gold for now. The grenade launcher and decoder/unlocker will be available later.

I'm not stealthy and I can't shoot the way I'd need to with my lack of stealthiness, so I'll be a while getting anywhere until I get augmentation points. Several really good sounding upgrades will have to wait so I can get armored enough to not die so quickly. I wish the cash would work for candy bars in the machines, since I've eaten the ones I found so far...

post #30 of 54 Old 08-24-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I haven't tried the 360 version yet, but the PC version is well done and customized quite nicely for Keys/Mouse control. DX11 support with all the extras. If you have a decent PC I recommend going this route (I also have a 360/PS3 and have no problems getting console versions of games).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page