use of cat5 over usb for Kinect - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good morning

I am possibly moving my HT equipment to another room and before proceeding i am trying to find out if i could use a cat5 usb extension to power the kinect module?

Alain

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone, I too am looking for a solution.

I have wired my movie room with Cat5e and would like to permanently set the kinect up but need to a balun.

Suggestions?
post #3 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've read of guys using amplified USB extenders (50') over in the dedicated theater design and construction thread... have a look over there.
post #4 of 19 Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 PM

I've tried this using a couple of very high end USB2 to CAT5/6 extenders and could not get it to work at all. The length of Cat6 involved was only about 30 feet. The xbox seemed to detect that there was a Kinect connected, but it would not work at all. Gave up and used a 35ft powered USB extension cable across the room which is annoying since i have Cat6 buried in the walls in appropriate locations.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
If you use powered USB hub in between two long USB cables, that should keep the USB signal strong.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Alright, I'm looking in to this seriously now, since I have the rest of my wires hidden for all components, except the Kinect.

I think I may have found a possible solution from QVS, but waiting for a reply from their tech.

Has anyone else had any luck using an active repeater over Cat5? My xbox is older, so the Kinect will be powered through a wall outlet, I think this puts me at an advantage! Will let everyone know what happens.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

Alright, I'm looking in to this seriously now, since I have the rest of my wires hidden for all components, except the Kinect.

I think I may have found a possible solution from QVS, but waiting for a reply from their tech.

Has anyone else had any luck using an active repeater over Cat5? My xbox is older, so the Kinect will be powered through a wall outlet, I think this puts me at an advantage! Will let everyone know what happens.

Okay, the QVS option will not work, apparently it is not truly USB 2.0 (thankfully they informed me before purchase). Kinect requires a USB 2.0 connection that is 480mbps. I have found atleast one product guaranteed to work, but at $360 it's more than I am willing to spend (though some of you might be). I am looking in to a similar product that is $208 retail, but waiting for confirmation that it works.

My ethernet run is only about 50 feet, so I'm disappointed there is not a solution for this yet.... Anyone have any pointers on a USB 2.0 over Cat 5 extender? This is what we're looking for, but it needs to be plug and play (no driver).

Here is the one that has been confirmed working with Kinect Black Box USB 2.0 Extender over Cat5
post #8 of 19 Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 AM

SOLUTION FOUND!!!

You CAN extend your Kinect USB Cable (signal only, not power) by using a Tripp Lite B203-101. There is some difficulty finding a unit, but once found it works! (Note: this unit was taken off the market, some units worked, some didn't, looks like the secondary market will be your only source for this).

Alternatively, Tripp Lite says it also has an active 20M USB extender that people use for Kinect; Active USB 2.0 extender.

Must give some love to Tripp Lite, they have a number of solutions I have used in my home theatre at a fraction of the price of their competitors.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 12:02 PM

have you checked monoprice. that is what I am going with and about half the price.

all fired up
post #10 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Does the monoprice work? Have you heard an people using it successfully?
post #11 of 19 Old 01-18-2012, 06:07 AM

for all that I understand, it does work as long as you have the power plug working in conjunction.

all fired up
post #12 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 AM

I am now up and running flawlessly with my Kinect running over cat5, and a USB extender. My cat5 run is about 50 feet. The aforementioned TrippLite product is nearly impossible to find, because they took it off the market due to failures. Since hiding the wires was really important to me, I dug around for another product, and found lone guaranteed to work, but is was $360. I noticed the company's price match guarantee, for devices that perform the same function, and they agreed to bring it down to the MSRP of the Tripp Lite $208.

The product is a Black Box USB 2.0 Catx extender, and it works great, just plug and play. Link here.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Is the Kinect worth the extra $200? I've only played it once...a table tennis demo in Best Buy, so I really don't know. I'm in the same situation as the rest of you. My rack is ~25' away from the TV I want the XBox connected to . The only wires I have available to me are a cat5e, RG6, and a composite video.

On a similar note, how do people generally deal with the other peripherals such as dance mats, guitars, drums etc.?
post #14 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Is the Kinect worth the extra $200? I've only played it once...a table tennis demo in Best Buy, so I really don't know. I'm in the same situation as the rest of you. My rack is ~25' away from the TV I want the XBox connected to . The only wires I have available to me are a cat5e, RG6, and a composite video.

On a similar note, how do people generally deal with the other peripherals such as dance mats, guitars, drums etc.?

Wireless for other peripherals, or a USB 1.1 extender (cheap compared to 2.0), the only device requiring a 2.0 extender is the Kinect.

I REALLY love the Kinect, I transitioned from a true "gamer" throughout high school, college, and grad school, to a casual gamer using it mostly for parties, rather than gaming by myself. My wife also really likes playing it for a cardio workout. The games keep getting better and better too.

I don't regret my Kinect purchase at all, and the Cat 5 connectivity is great (although pricey). Also, my TV is mounted rather high, and my Kinect is now above the TV, and working fine (about 8.5' from the ground, but Xbox reccomends no higher than 6'. I've found that it captures my whole body much easier (I'm 6'3").
post #15 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
*high five* on the kinect love! thanks for the tips regarding cat5 and the kinect. that was something I was always curious about.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply JustBusiness.

I just ordered a Xbox and Kinect combo. I'm going to play around to find a working arrangement that won't cost me another Xbox.

Has anyone tried splicing an active usb extender into a cat5/e/6 wire? I've read posts where people spliced the wires without an extender, but haven't found anyone that added an extender into the mix.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 AM

I have a 30 ft powered usb cable, that i bought from amazon, that i'm using for both kinect and move. works like a charm
post #18 of 19 Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Just a follow up regarding what I proposed in my previous post:

I soldered a 6" piece of solid core Cat5e cable to each end of an active USB 2.0 extension cable. I connected the two data lines from the USB to a single twisted pair. The 5v and ground were each connected to 3 wires. The other ends of each cat5e cable was connected to a cat5e keystone jack.

I connected the Kinect through a 25' cat5e cable (w/ ~6ft of USB cable). The Xbox detected it and the kinect light was constantly blinking. The kinect setup automatically started. You can get through the first one or two steps, but it wasn't able to detect a mic. If you skip the mic check, it freezes on its attempt to start the Kinect up.

This setup did work problem free over a 4' cat6 cable. There is clearly some hope. My next step may be to find a more powerful active cable. Either that or make some holes in the walls.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness View Post

SOLUTION FOUND!!!

You CAN extend your Kinect USB Cable (signal only, not power) by using a Tripp Lite B203-101. There is some difficulty finding a unit, but once found it works! (Note: this unit was taken off the market, some units worked, some didn't, looks like the secondary market will be your only source for this).

Alternatively, Tripp Lite says it also has an active 20M USB extender that people use for Kinect; Active USB 2.0 extender.

Must give some love to Tripp Lite, they have a number of solutions I have used in my home theatre at a fraction of the price of their competitors.

Just a head's up on this. The one I recently purchased from Amazon for this purpose was not in fact a USB extender, rather it was a USB->Ethernet adapter and an IP USB server for the remote unit. Unfortunately, this version has the same part number as the ones that might work.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Cat5 Rack 1u

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page