RAGE Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 86 Old 10-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Aaaaaannnnyway...

Having finsihed off RAGE and nearly all of its cheevos, I can only describe it as Borderlands Lite. "Open" world isn't open, enemies pop up only when tripwired, and I felt cheated that you can't go back to areas upon completion, thus making some achievements impossible without a full replay. MP (racing) isn't that great, co-op was terribly easy...I couldn't care less about having a buddy allow me to kill everything just to get a high score.

This was a good game, but not what I'd hoped. Oh well, here's looking to Borderlands 2 to fill that hunger!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 Old 10-19-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

his was a good game, but not what I'd hoped. Oh well, here's looking to Borderlands 2 to fill that hunger!

That's too bad...I was hoping for a little better, really. With the onslaught of AAA games coming, I suspect the only way I'll be trying Rage is if it hits Gamefly's used sale. With Gears 3 and Arkham City on my plate, Uncharted 3, AC:Revelations, Halo: Anniversary, Skyward Sword, MW3 and Mario Kart 7 coming....being decent but not great isn't likely to warrant my dollars right now.
post #63 of 86 Old 10-19-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Rage keeps distracting me with its insanely horrible low-rez textures on faaaar too many objects, makes you think the game is just straight up broken....but its designed that way :P

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #64 of 86 Old 10-19-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Rage keeps distracting me with its insanely horrible low-rez textures on faaaar too many objects, makes you think the game is just straight up broken....but its designed that way :P

I agree: this is one graphical strike, and it's a big one, against an otherwise very nice engine.

But gameplay-wise, I still think Rage has some excellent shooting, and a great sense of atmosphere. Every time I play it, I have fun.

It's not the 10 out of 10 everyone was hoping for, but I think it's a solid 8.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 86 Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It took me a while to get into the game, but I'm really starting to enjoy it. It opens up a lot more once you start unlocking more weapons and schematics. I love deploying sentry bots to distract enemies and picking them off from a distance with my scoped pistol! There's a lot of variety in the way you can dispatch enemies which keeps the game fresh.

The story is lacking but the art-design and visuals are impressive. I am a bit disappointed with the low-res textures and I still don't understand why the game requires so many discs when a game like Skyrim can fit on one DVD.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #66 of 86 Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm also wondering what in Gods name is up with that 3-disc situation they have there....for 3 discs worth of data why am I looking at PS2 quality textures, what the hell is installing, a gigantic botfarm? Skynet? Ubuntu!?!?

To Dave's comment above, the problem is the game keeps *distracting me* with the low-resolution textures. I mean, its distracting me from the environment, from the firefights, these garishly bad textures on objects while something next to it is a relatively high-rez asset, you walk up close and keep waiting for it to 'flip' to its higher rez detail texture (using Ye Olde Game Vernacular)...but it never shows up. Meanwhile 1 foot over is a much better detailed object, making it look completely out of place.

The real shame of this game is the physics engine...with the time they spent on lighting the rooms and areas you fight in, its a shame you don't see dust, debris and the like filling the air with particles....boxes don't go flying, pails and trinkets don't go flying off in every direction from stray bullets....shots that don't hit you don't shower you or your view with dust or debris....

That would have made this game epic. And, i don't mean those really crappy PHYS-X debris either, I mean a much simpler particle system that isn't too taxing, not "we physically calculate every speck of dust and chunk of rock and make it a physical object in the world. This game requires tri-sli 580's to run at 30fps".......

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #67 of 86 Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I'm also wondering what in Gods name is up with that 3-disc situation they have there....for 3 discs worth of data why am I looking at PS2 quality textures, what the hell is installing, a gigantic botfarm? Skynet? Ubuntu!?!?

To Dave's comment above, the problem is the game keeps *distracting me* with the low-resolution textures. I mean, its distracting me from the environment, from the firefights, these garishly bad textures on objects while something next to it is a relatively high-rez asset, you walk up close and keep waiting for it to 'flip' to its higher rez detail texture (using Ye Olde Game Vernacular)...but it never shows up. Meanwhile 1 foot over is a much better detailed object, making it look completely out of place.

The real shame of this game is the physics engine...with the time they spent on lighting the rooms and areas you fight in, its a shame you don't see dust, debris and the like filling the air with particles....boxes don't go flying, pails and trinkets don't go flying off in every direction from stray bullets....shots that don't hit you don't shower you or your view with dust or debris....

That would have made this game epic. And, i don't mean those really crappy PHYS-X debris either, I mean a much simpler particle system that isn't too taxing, not "we physically calculate every speck of dust and chunk of rock and make it a physical object in the world. This game requires tri-sli 580's to run at 30fps".......

Yeah, the in-game physics are lacking. The only decent aspect is the ragdoll interactions and even that was done better in Red Dead Redemption.

Still a fun game though!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #68 of 86 Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Wow that final boss fight was insane...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

OH WAIT THERE WASN'T ONE, YOU JUST PUSH A BUTTON AND THE GAME ENDS SUDDENLY.

post #69 of 86 Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I finished the main campaign in Rage last night; overall the game was a lot of fun but the ending was really a non-ending. The final level comes to an end way too quickly and is so easy I never even had to use any of the more powerful weapons that I was saving my ammo for. The big boss fight I was expecting never came and the end-game cinema was short and unsatisfying. In fact, other than one encounter fairly early on, I can't even remember any boss-level encounters.

In playing the game I got a strong feeling that id either (1) released the game before it was really finished; or (2) held back levels so that they could later be released as DLC. The fact that we never get to meet "General Cross", see so little of the Authority and engage in so few boss fights really makes me think id held stuff back for a cash grab down the road and I won't be surprised if we see some DLC to "finish the story".

Its a great engine and I still have lots of stuff to do but the whole experience really felt incomplete.
post #70 of 86 Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

....but the 64 thousand dollar question is, of course, what in the holy hell is taking up 3 dvd's worth of information here. I mean, Grand Theft Auto 4 is an entire sandbox world with more advanced lighting and arguably texturing.....and it fits on ONE DVD....

Too bad Rage is what it is....because I think people were hoping it was going to be much much more...and it just isn't.

There comes a time and a place when a company releases something new and it just doesn't really click. I think ID finally has their stinker, as all their other games, even the ones I didn't care for, did break some kind of new visual ground. I guess its no surprise that when your leader is more Rocket Scientist than Lead Programmer these days, eventually somethings gonna give.

And Doom 3 had several add-on's, I'm sure RAGE will have a "FINISH THE JOURNEY!" release for $15 or $20 bucks too :P

post #71 of 86 Old 10-29-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:

....but the 64 thousand dollar question is, of course, what in the holy hell is taking up 3 dvd's worth of information here. I mean, Grand Theft Auto 4 is an entire sandbox world with more advanced lighting and arguably texturing.....and it fits on ONE DVD....

Too bad Rage is what it is....because I think people were hoping it was going to be much much more...and it just isn't.

There comes a time and a place when a company releases something new and it just doesn't really click. I think ID finally has their stinker, as all their other games, even the ones I didn't care for, did break some kind of new visual ground. I guess its no surprise that when your leader is more Rocket Scientist than Lead Programmer these days, eventually somethings gonna give.

And Doom 3 had several add-on's, I'm sure RAGE will have a "FINISH THE JOURNEY!" release for $15 or $20 bucks too :P

They're using a process called megatexturing. Rather than blending texture layers on the fly, it's all preblended and each texture you see is basically unique to that spot.

The positive side is that it skips a few rendering passes and allows you to make great looking games that run at 60fps.

The downside is that it takes up a hell of a lot of storage space, and can often cause texture pop-in.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #72 of 86 Old 10-29-2011, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I never looked into Megatexturing since they were talking about it as their "next big thing" a while back, I knew this game used it but never really knew how it worked (obviously I got the concept..Mega Textures)

So that is why the 3D modeled characters all do such a craptacular job of blending in with their "pre-rendered 3D World"..why shadows dont fall correctly on you or the other NPC's because some are pre-rendered shadows while others are not...

Thx for the explanation!

post #73 of 86 Old 10-29-2011, 09:01 AM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

They're using a process called megatexturing. Rather than blending texture layers on the fly, it's all preblended and each texture you see is basically unique to that spot.

The positive side is that it skips a few rendering passes and allows you to make great looking games that run at 60fps.

The downside is that it takes up a hell of a lot of storage space, and can often cause texture pop-in.

The game looks good, but it didn't knock my socks off. Everyone worrying about their precious 60fps often gets in the way of making a game that's actually fun to play, which should ALWAYS be the first concern. (CoD: Modded Borefest 3 vs. Battlefield 3 being the latest example.)
post #74 of 86 Old 10-29-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd say the experiment in Megatexturing is a failure on the PC side of things. If the PC version is being forced to adhere to a 'megatexture' that was designed for 128 to 256 megabytes of video ram at any given time, then the visuals make perfect sense, but we interact with our FPS's like we do in the real world.

What good is it if the "crap on your shelf 15 feet away looks good" but it looks like a blocky-low rez mess.

Sounds like it might be amazing technology for a Racing game, lets say....but not a shooter where you can walk right up to everything and go "Man...thats some fugly 2003 texturing right there" :P

post #75 of 86 Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I never looked into Megatexturing since they were talking about it as their "next big thing" a while back, I knew this game used it but never really knew how it worked (obviously I got the concept..Mega Textures)

So that is why the 3D modeled characters all do such a craptacular job of blending in with their "pre-rendered 3D World"..why shadows dont fall correctly on you or the other NPC's because some are pre-rendered shadows while others are not...

Thx for the explanation!

The lighting/shadowing is separate from the texturing. But if anything is at a low precision, it's to keep to framerate up.

I'll take 60FPS over 30FPS any day, in any game. You have to sacrifice some visual quality, but I feel a connection to the game at 60fps. 30fps I feel like a spectator.

But a game will ALWAYS play better at 60 than at 30. Playability > graphics, every time.

post #76 of 86 Old 10-29-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't know that I'd go that far myself, a console game at 30fps is fine for me because of the inherent imprecision in twin analog sticks being my aiming and movement.

I do however agree that 60 gives you a fluidity that can't be beat.....but on most console games I dont miss it. ON a PC however, 30fps is essentially unplayable unless I switch to twin sticks, where my rotation speed is much lower and I generally play those games very differently than I will on a PC....same game, but the controls give me two completely different approaches on how I tackle them, due to controls and framerate/responsiveness.

Dunno if everyone is like that, but I am.

My gripe with Rage is that, as a PC shooter....its feeling 6 years out of date. Again, to me, its Doom 3 with lots of colors.

post #77 of 86 Old 08-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10
So I'm just bringing this one up from the depths for a quick comment since we're in the middle of the summer game drought.
I bought this game up yesterday and have to say I'm having a hell of a good time with it. Nice variety of game play and weapons.
Is it in the top 10 of all time greats in my book? No. But it is fun and cheap So if you need something to play before this years blockbusters start hitting, I'd suggest picking up a copy of Rage.
I got new copy for the used price of $20 at GameStop.
post #78 of 86 Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Rage awaits the momentum for me to finish it. $10 several months ago, so it's not as huge a waste of money as Witcher 2 was. At least Rage is fairly easy after months of sniper practice in Mass Effect 3 and careful adjustments of the sensitivity settings that would have made the demo more impressive.

Rage just has too much uninteresting busywork left. At least I luckily killed a tiny descending rocket trooper during a sniper mission...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #79 of 86 Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 AM

Liked: 93
The first disc of Rage is great. The game is a technical marvel with a genuinely interesting world and quality mechanics at play. The end of the first disc should have been the end of the game though. The second disc would have been better held back, expanded, polished, and released later as Rage Part II. Kind of like Grand Theft Auto 3 Part II and III. That second disc is just so obviously rushed. I was left with the feeling that it was supposed to be the second half of the game, but really it turned out to be the last 20% because they ran out of time.
post #80 of 86 Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

Rage awaits the momentum for me to finish it. $10 several months ago, so it's not as huge a waste of money as Witcher 2 was. At least Rage is fairly easy after months of sniper practice in Mass Effect 3 and careful adjustments of the sensitivity settings that would have made the demo more impressive.

Rage just has too much uninteresting busywork left. At least I luckily killed a tiny descending rocket trooper during a sniper mission...

Yeah, it was the busywork that really turned me off. Seemed like it was a 80/20 split between filler like travel and the actual game. And then the game itself had serious issues, like poor checkpointing. It's great tech, they could have made an awesome game with it....but they didn't.

post #81 of 86 Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I loved this game! Yea it's like Fallout/Borderlands but was a really cool tech demo. It just felt held back, in the sense that it was a 10 or 15 hour game but could easily have been 40. I only ever had a couple quests going at once where other similar games you could have tens at once. Seems like they could have put a lot more side quests in and fill out the story more. Obviously setup for a sequel but overall there was so much lacking.

If anyone wants to roll through the coop challenges hit me up, still need to finish those.
post #82 of 86 Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, it was the busywork that really turned me off. Seemed like it was a 80/20 split between filler like travel and the actual game. And then the game itself had serious issues, like poor checkpointing. It's great tech, they could have made an awesome game with it....but they didn't.

???? It's a save anytime game.
post #83 of 86 Old 08-14-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeGuy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

???? It's a save anytime game.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way when I died on a boss and had to replay the entire level. I'm not dealing with that kind of nonsense in 2012.

post #84 of 86 Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 497
alright, finally unwrapped the shrinkwrapping off this game and played it (having sat on a shelf forever after I picked it up for $10 way way way back when).

The graphics are pretty amazing for the most part. the frame rate is just sublime. It felt so surreal like a 60 fps game feels. The textures were amazing. I was just marveling how a current gen game could be so fast and fluid with great texture detail.

But the game so far feels more like a tech demo than a game. Some of the art design seems pretty archaic with simple models. The interface is a little rough (feels very PC-like). The character models look, umm... not very good. It has the feeling of an old iD game but with newer tech. Like time has passed iD by...

Anyway, I'm only a couple hours in so maybe things will start to get exciting now.
post #85 of 86 Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Despite my 8/12 note above, I never got back to Rage. Not enough there there...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #86 of 86 Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 497
well, I'm hoping things pick up. but yeah, having only spent $10 on it, it's not a huge loss if the game is a dud. I think I got it for a special Best Buy sale only a couple months after release. how far iD has fallen.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page