Xbox TV/multimedia options with Windows Phone/Kinect integration - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 142 Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 138
FYI, the Android SmartGlass app is now apparently out.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 142 Old 10-28-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 493
have you guys been playing with the Xbox Music app in Windows 8? that's one slick piece of work! I might actually pay for the service in the future. Right now, it's completely free and could totally replace other services. You pick whatever song or artist you want to listen to. Then you can add the song or album to your library, make playlists, etc. And all the songs feel like you own them. Pretty slick.

The ads are annoying if you like to click around a lot and browse a lot of things. But they don't show up otherwise. So if you start playing Nicky Minaj and then the next track switches to a similar artist, there's no ad. But if you're playing Nicky Minaj and you see a similar artist and you select that artist and choose a song, you might get an ad before the song plays.

I still need to see if I can push streaming music from Windows 8 to the Xbox.
post #123 of 142 Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

so the answer is clear now. WatchESPN and ESPN3 are rolled into the same app.

If you have ESPN via a TV package, you get access to all WatchESPN material. If you only have a provider but no TV package, then you just get ESPN3.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/11/watchespn-officially-launches-in-new-update-for-espn-on-xbox/

press release:

WatchESPN Officially Launches in New Update for ESPN on Xbox

Live programming from ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3 and ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater now available on the Xbox 360 console to Xbox LIVE Gold members with an affiliated video provider

ESPN and Microsoft today officially launched WatchESPN as part of their expanded service for ESPN on Xbox. With today's launch, ESPN on Xbox will deliver live content from ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3 and ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater through WatchESPN to Xbox LIVE Gold members who receive these networks through a video subscription from an affiliated provider.

The new ESPN on Xbox delivers HD-quality live programming and events through WatchESPN in a unique interactive sports viewing experience. Fans will be able to access popular shows like SportsCenter, PTI, First Take, NFL Live, Baseball Tonight, College GameDay, Mike & Mike in the Morning and others as well as live events from the NFL, MLB, NBA, soccer, tennis, golf, motor sports and more. ESPN on Xbox features include:

• My Sports – by choosing favorite sports and teams, fans are able to find games and content most important to them.
  • Mini Guide – gives fans a preview and quick access to all live events and highlights right at the bottom of the screen.
  • Split Screen – watch two events at once. Watch live events on both screens or a live event on one and highlights on the other.
  • Kinect – allows fans to navigate through the entire experience all with the wave of a hand or through voice control.
  • ESPN BottomLine – provides breaking news and score updates from around the world of sports.
  • WatchESPN through ESPN on Xbox adds another platform for the authenticated networks service, which is also accessible online at WatchESPN.com and on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app to 40 million households that receive ESPN's linear networks as part of their video subscription. Affiliated providers include Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, Verizon FiOS TV, XFINITY® TV from Comcast, and Midcontinent Communications.

ESPN3 will continue to be available to Xbox LIVE Gold members who receive their Internet subscription from an affiliated provider. The live multi-screen sports network is available in 79 million households nationwide. A full list of affiliated Internet providers for ESPN3 can be found at: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/affList.

All Xbox LIVE Gold members have access to customized ESPN.com video-on-demand clips and sports highlights.
post #124 of 142 Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I guess this is the third big wave of Apps coming to the Xbox.

1. All3M (United Kingdom, United States)
2. Ameba TV (Canada, United States)
3. ARTE (Germany, France)
4. Azteca (Mexico)
5. Canalplay Infinity (France)
6. CBC’s Hockey Night (Canada)
7. CrunchyRoll (Majority of LIVE Regions)
8. Deezer (Majority of LIVE Regions)
9. Eredivisie Live (Netherlands)
10. Fightbox (Austria, Germany, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, United Kingdom)
11. Flixster (United States)
12. GameTrailers (Australia, Canada, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Japan, Mexico, United Kingdom, United States)
13. Globosat Muu (Brazil)
14. Gulli Replay (France)
15. HBO Nordics (Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden)
16. IndieFlix (Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States)
17. Livesport.tv (Austria, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, United Kingdom)
18. Machinima (Majority of LIVE Regions)
19. Maxim (United States)
20. MTV (United States)
21. MyTF1 (France)
22. MyTF1VOD (France)
23. Napster (Germany, United Kingdom)
24. Pathe Thuis (Netherlands)
25. PBS (United States)
26. PopcornFlix (United States)
27. Rai TV (Italy)
28. Sainsbury (United Kingdom)
29. Saraiva (Brazil)
30. SBS (Netherlands)
31. SF Anytime (Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden)
32. Slacker Radio (Canada, United States)
33. SPORT1 (Austria, Germany)
34. The CW Network (United States)
35. Televisa (Mexico)
36. TV3 (Spain)
37. Viaplay (Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden)
38. Vidéo à la Demande d’Orange (France)
39. Vimeo (United States)
40. VIVO Play (Brazil)
41. Watchever (Austria, Germany)
42. Zattoo (Germany)
43. Ziggo (Netherlands)

For a full description of the apps.

http://majornelson.com/2012/12/11/over-40-new-apps-coming-to-xbox-new-apps-launch-on-xbox-live-this-week/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MajorNelson+%28Major+Nelson+%28Xbox%29%29
post #125 of 142 Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

you know what's weird? I checked my apps page and I have 37 installed. And I haven't even installed a bunch of them (skipped stuff like Vudu).

Crunchy Roll??? nice!
also interested in Maxim and MTV.

but I wonder if some of the others are gimped since I no longer have cable TV (just the ISP).
post #126 of 142 Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

did they change the netflix/Xbox Live Gold requirement? yesterday, a friend on my list was listed as Xbox Live Free and she was playing Netflix.
post #127 of 142 Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

did they change the netflix/Xbox Live Gold requirement? yesterday, a friend on my list was listed as Xbox Live Free and she was playing Netflix.

No, but if they got a copy of Halo 4 they got a two week pass along with it.
post #128 of 142 Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/boombox-360-which-xbox-streaming-service-rocks-harder/

Rhapsody is free if you have an Xbox Live Gold account. It's not as good as Xbox Music but it's free!
post #129 of 142 Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

A bunch of new Apps came out today. The ESPN Smartglass app got updated as well yesterday.
Quote:
Crunchyroll (Launching in All LIVE Markets excluding Japan, UAE, Slovakia and Saudi Arabia)
Watch your favorite Anime and Asian drama titles including “Bleach,” “Naruto Shippuden,” “Hunter x Hunter,” “Sword Art Online,” “Coffee Prince” and “Boys Over Flowers” in HD with Crunchyroll on Xbox 360. Instantly view over 20,000 episodes of professionally subtitled Anime, Korean drama, and live-action titles in HD. Enhance your Crunchyroll app experience with voice and gesture control via Kinect for Xbox 360.

Televisa (Launching in Mexico)
Televisa is Mexico´s leading entertainment company and its free app offers rich live and on demand content such as recaps from telenovelas, sports, news and entertainment. Watch now your favorite local TV shows.

Azteca (Launching in Mexico)
TV Azteca subscribers can now watch their favorite television shows and movies from their Xbox 360 console. TV Azteca is one of the Mexico’s largest content providers and offers programming for everyone. Watch news, sports, soap operas and more with the TV Azteca app.

Viaplay (Launching in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden)
The Viaplay app offers an exciting mix of television shows and on demand content spanning across movies, kids and sports. Users will be able to view a fantastic line-up of sports content including major international events as well as local television shows.

AOL On (Launching in United States)
Get the latest videos from AOL On – now on Xbox 360. AOL On makes it easy to find top new stories, the hottest in entertainment, even simple recipes with all of the best videos from Reuters, Entertainment Tonight and many more.

Vimeo (Launching in United States)
Packed with amazing ways to watch, discover, and share, the Vimeo app for Xbox 360 enables lovers of high-quality videos to stimulate their eyeballs through their console. Follow your Xbox Live friends’ activity on Vimeo, control the app via voice or gesture with Kinect, and access Vimeo on your Xbox 360.

SnagFilms (Launching in United States)
Sit back and watch acclaimed indie movies, from some of the greatest names in film — on demand, for free. SnagFilms brings you the best of its library including hundreds of films from award-winning documentaries to outstanding fiction feature films.

IGN (Expanding to Australia and New Zealand)
Game previews, reviews, guides and gameplay videos as well as ‘Instant access’ to game help walkthroughs and IGN’s extensive catalog of popular shows, including “The Daily Fix,” “Strategize,” “Weekly ‘Wood” and more.

For users in the U.S., we’re also updating the Verizon FiOS app today with an additional 49 channels. The expanded app will now provide Verizon FiOS customers with access to 75 channels and to catch up on the latest programing from NFL Network HD, AMC HD, A&E HD and more. Verizon FiOS on Xbox LIVE includes an interactive media guide with TV Guide listings, favorite channels, search and more. You can use gesture and voice commands with your Kinect to change the channel or browse the guide. Check out more from Verizon

http://majornelson.com/2012/12/18/new-apps-launch-on-xbox-live-2/
post #130 of 142 Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

anyone in on the beta for Redbox Instant? sounds interesting.

what interests me is this: Through the app, Xbox 360 movie fans can also purchase and rent the newest digital releases without needing a subscription.
I already have Netflix and am not really looking to add another subscription on top of all my other subscriptions. But the idea of cheap rentals on a per title basis to fill some of the gaps left by the other services sounds great.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/05/redbox-instant-xbox/#continued

full PR text:
Today we're happy to reveal that Redbox Instant by Verizon will be coming to Xbox 360 in the very near future. If you are currently a Redbox Instant beta participant, you'll receive an email with a unique code to access the app on Xbox 360 in the coming days. Interested newcomers to the Redbox Instant beta can request entry into the beta by visiting www.RedboxInstant.com.

Xbox 360 is the exclusive gaming and entertainment console launch partner for Redbox Instant by Verizon. A Redbox Instant by Verizon subscription package, priced at $8 per month for DVD or $9 per month for Blu-ray, combines four one-night credits for the latest movie releases at Redbox kiosks with access to a great catalogue of popular movies available for unlimited streaming. Through the app, Xbox 360 movie fans can also purchase and rent the newest digital releases without needing a subscription. Redbox Instant by Verizon combines disc + subscription, purchase and rental viewing choices into a compelling destination so movie fans can always find a movie to enjoy.

Stay tuned for more information as we get closer to launch.

http://majornelson.com/2013/02/05/redbox-instant-coming-to-xbox-360-console-exclusive/
post #131 of 142 Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone has not used the Youtube app lately it might be worth firing it up. They have redesigned the app...again. I find the design more aesthetically pleasing than the last design. I am not sure if it actually shows you all the videos on a channel, but they a least let you know how many are available.
post #132 of 142 Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the slacker radio app is pretty slick! now all we need is a tunein app.

post #133 of 142 Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm checking out the Red Box app. It's pretty cool! It's not a replacement for Netflix but it does have some cool features. And it has a nice amount of movies for streaming that aren't available on Netflix. I browsed for about half an hour and saw these:

gattaca
swordfish
training day
proof of life
wild wild west
executive decision
space cowboys
blue thunder
the shining
sphere
poltergeist
pay it forward
message in a bottle
starman
sleepwalkers
a knight's tale
the glass house
deep blue sea
i still know what you did last summer
the pelican brief
glory
karate kid part iii
iron eagle
close encounter of the third kind
miss congeniality
go
anna nicole smith: exposed
the american president
dumb and dumber
weekend at bernie's
loverboy
risky business

pretty good for half an hour.
post #134 of 142 Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 10
Any hope that they'll ever get rid of the Xbox Live Gold requirement? I think this is going to really hurt their chances of being a major factor in the living room the way Apple is/will be. It seems like Microsoft is always *this* close to tying everything together, but perhaps with the wave of "Blue" updates for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, plus the new Xbox, they'll finally have three-screen integration the way Apple does. I'd love to see that happen, but I wonder if the non-gaming majority will see the value in a Live Gold subscription when they can use Apple TV, Roku or other solutions without any additional fees.
post #135 of 142 Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the only way I see it is if Apple throws on the switch and has true gaming on the Apple TV. but even then, I don't know how you can compare 360 games to Apple iOS games. Maybe a couple here and there but the rest are casual games.

there aren't really any advantages to those boxes unless you're tied to the Apple ecosystem or want a really small box (where the advantage will sort of go away with the next revision of the Xbox). they still have the same playback limitations because of the content providers. no true MKV support (well, without hacking).
post #136 of 142 Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, it looks like they enabled the ability for Apps to update themselves. The Last FM app updated on its own yesterday without me bringing it up.
post #137 of 142 Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yeah, that kind of surprised me last night. I was doing some exercise and all of a sudden, it showed me the notification that Last.FM had updated...
post #138 of 142 Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

post #139 of 142 Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

The Time Warner app is now available.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/27/4661590/time-warner-cable-app-xbox-360

Now, this is looking promising! The best part is you have more access to channels. Not like what happened with FiOS where you only got a smaller subset of channels.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/27/the-time-warner-cable-tv-app-for-xbox-360-is-now-available-with-access-to-300-channels/

Now available to viewers with an existing Time Warner Cable subscription in the U.S. as well as an Xbox Live Gold membership, the TWC TV app will allow users to access up to 300 TV channels, including AMC, BBC World News, Bravo, the Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central and the Food Network, depending on their specific subscription. It also enables users to navigate through TV shows, music and movies using voice and gesture control through the Kinect peripheral.

Microsoft’s efforts to take its Xbox consoles beyond gaming will continue with the Xbox One, which already has a partnership with the NFL for exclusive content and fantasy football integration, and will also feature access to an exclusive TV series based on the Halo video game franchise that will be directed by Steven Spielberg.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/27/4661590/time-warner-cable-app-xbox-360

The TWC TV app supports Kinect voice and gesture controls, and includes a programming guide that allows users to sort content by genre, channel names and TV show titles. Genre-based radio stations are also available, and users can see what their friends are watching through the app. Channels accessible through the TWC TV app include BBC World News, CNN and the Food Network.

With the launch of TWC TV, Time Warner becomes the third major U.S. cable provider to offer its content through the Xbox 360; a Verizon FiOS app became available in December 2011, and Comcast released an app for on-demand Xfinity content in March 2012. The FiOS app now includes upwards of 75 channels, but Time Warner's app easily trumps that — it offers as many as 300 live TV channels, depending on the subscriber's cable package.

TWC TV won't include Time Warner's video-on-demand content at launch, but Microsoft said it's working with the company to eventually bring VOD into the app. That would make the Xbox 360 the first device to offer both Time Warner's live TV and its VOD content.
post #140 of 142 Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The good thing for me is I get a couple of stations with the app I do not normally get. The only real downside is I am not in one of the areas where we get access to the local channels. I am really looking forward to the Xbox One and this app. At that point I would not have to switch inputs to get the bonus stations. Plus, the overall experience would be snappier.
post #141 of 142 Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM

Liked: 20
Sweet. Now I just need an app to play my Windows Media Center files and live TV on the future Xbox One and I'll be set.
post #142 of 142 Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

new ad for NFL on Xbox...
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page