AVS Forum banner

Xbox TV/multimedia options with Windows Phone/Kinect integration

15K views 153 replies 26 participants last post by  onlysublime 
#1 ·

http://kotaku.com/5846898/its-offici...levision-sorta

Here's the full rundown of the partnerships (existing and new) for all countries. The list includes some heavy hitters like Bravo, Comcast, HBO GO, Verizon FiOS and Syfy in the U.S. They will start hitting consoles worldwide this holiday.

What we still don't know, based on the single post on the Xbox.com Major Nelson blog post, is how exactly this content will show up on the console.

On their own blog, Verizon says the deal is in line with their business of "breaking down old technology boundaries to create a borderless world..."

"We've announced that we are now collaborating with Microsoft to soon deliver a great selection of live, FiOS TV channels over the Xbox Entertainment System," wrote Verizon's Bobbi Henson. "What really makes this exciting is that this innovative, new service will integrate live, multi-channel streaming HD TV and Kinect voice and gesture commands via the Xbox."

That certainly sounds like IPTV. Verizon says they plan to offer the service in time for the holiday season to customers who subscribe to both FIOS TV, FIOS Internet and have an Xbox Live Gold membership. That's a whole lotta subscriptions for one thing. More details from Verizon are promised as the launch date approaches.

"By bringing the technologically advanced Verizon FiOS TV service to Xbox 360 and Kinect, we are advancing our vision to provide the best in entertainment in extraordinary new ways," said Tom Gibbons, corporate vice president of the TV & Service Business for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. "Xbox 360 brings all your entertainment, friends and family together in one place, and we look forward to introducing Verizon FiOS TV to the console this holiday."

Comcast, on their blog, says the content will be bringing to the Xbox 360 will essentially be what iPhone, iPad and PC owners can already access through the company's Xfinity app. So basically on free on demand content. (You can see that GUI here.)

Here's the full list of international TV providers:

ABC iView - Australia

AlloCiné - France, Germany, Spain, U.K.

Antena 3 - Spain

Astral Media's Disney XD - Canada

AT&T** - U.S.

BBC - U.K.

blinkbox - U.K.

Bravo - U.S.

BSkyB** - U.K.

Canal+* - France, Spain

Channel 4 - U.K.

Channel 5 - U.K.

CinemaNow (Best Buy) - U.S.

Comcast - U.S.

Crackle - Australia, Canada, U.K., U.S.

Dailymotion - Available in 32 markets

EPIX - U.S.

ESPN** - U.S.

Facebook** - Available in all 35 Xbox LIVE markets

FOXTEL** - Australia

GolTV - Spain

HBO GO - U.S.

Hulu - Japan

Hulu +**- U.S.

iHeartRadio (Clear Channel) - U.S.

Last.fm** - U.K., U.S.

LOVEFiLM - Germany, U.K.

Manga Entertainment - U.S.

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment/Real Sports - Canada

MediaSet - Italy

MSN with MSNBC.com - Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain, U.K.

MUZU.TV - France, Germany, Italy, Spain, U.K.

Netflix**- Canada, U.S.

Rogers On Demand Online (RODO) - Canada

RTVE - Spain

SBS On Demand - Australia

Syfy - U.S.

Telefonica - Spain

Televisa - Mexico

"The Today Show" - U.S.

TELUS** - Canada

TMZ - U.S.

Twitter** - Available in all 35 Xbox LIVE markets

UFC - Canada, U.S.

Verizon - U.S.

VEVO - Canada, U.K., U.S.

VimpelCom** - Russia

Vodafone Portugal** - Portugal

YouTube - Available in 22 markets

ZDF - Germany

Zune** - Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain

Xbox LIVE Gold membership and/or other subscriptions/fees required. ** Denotes existing partners on Xbox LIVE available today.

See less See more
1 1
#8 ·
I wouldn't bet on any iOS app, they want you to buy a Windows Phone. Let me put it this way, they are desperate to sell W7 phones and, as far as features go, they are years behind almost all other smartphones. They need something that you can't get on Android or iOS and that is Xbox. I don't think there will ever be any Xbox apps for Android or iOS as long as Windows Phone 7 is around.

I think I'm the only one who is unimpressed with all this voice command stuff, I just feel like an idiot when I use it and my Xbox doesn't hear me half the time anyway. I'll just stick with a remote.

Love seeing that HBO Go is coming, that will be great. SyFy would have excited me about 5 years ago when SG1, SG: Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica were still going strong. Now, I don't watch anything on that channel. Nothing else seems too exciting in that list other then Netflix and ESPN but, we already have those.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 /forum/post/21043024

I think I'm the only one who is unimpressed with all this voice command stuff, I just feel like an idiot when I use it and my Xbox doesn't hear me half the time anyway. I'll just stick with a remote.

hopefully the MS sound engineer chimes in on your post.

but here are some tips I found from personal experience. I've had a rock solid experience with the voice commands even when volume of the TV or sound system was high.

1) if you can have the speakers away from the kinect, of course, you'll get a better result

2) the kinect mics are underneath the body of the Kinect so if you have the Kinect at eye level or higher, results tend to be better. when I set it low (like below the TV), I had to bark more often. but more often than not, I speak at a normal voice level and can even approach soft, near-whisper level with the Kinect above my TV (Kinect is about 6.5' above the floor).

3) make sure you run the audio and kinect mic calibration at the sound level that you play your audio. this is to create a noise cancellation profile based on your volume. if you're running the test with audio at 15 but you game or play ESPN at volume 30, you'll have more problems than you should

4) wait for the microphone icon to pop up before you start talking. sometimes the xbox just isn't quite ready until something is loaded. now, this step is hit or miss because sometimes the mic icon doesn't show up or sometimes it's hard to tell when the xbox is ready to hear your commands

all these tips are from personal experience so maybe they're not correct. but I follow these tips and I have no problems with the Kinect recognizing me. The only time I have problems is with sporting events and when that happens, the only thing I can do is lower the volume so that the Kinect can hear me better. But the most important thing is to raise the volume of the TV or stereo to the correct level when calibrating.

the big advantage of voice commands is not to eliminate the controller (though that is a benefit). it's to get to things faster. like the Forza 4 producer said, with a Kinect, you can go straight to what you want. you don't have to go through nested screens by scrolling and hitting "A", scroll, hit "A", or press "A", "A", "A", etc. to pass through screens.

as for the list of channels, I'm interested in BBC, Bravo (Top Chef!), iHeartRadio (loved the free concert the other week), Manga Entertainment (big anime fan), Youtube, and Syfy. that's in addition to the standards like Netflix, ESPN, etc.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime /forum/post/21043371

Maybe it's Apple blocking the way rather than Microsoft. An app to control your Xbox wouldn't fit in with Apple's ecosystem.

But there are Xbox achievement apps on Android. So maybe Android is more neutral than Apple's app store.

Apple has blocked lesser apps for dumber things however, bungie has full featured app for iOS. Regardless, if it's official MS or not, someone will figure it out for iOS.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 /forum/post/21043024

I wouldn't bet on any iOS app, they want you to buy a Windows Phone. Let me put it this way, they are desperate to sell W7 phones and, as far as features go, they are years behind almost all other smartphones. They need something that you can't get on Android or iOS and that is Xbox. I don't think there will ever be any Xbox apps for Android or iOS as long as Windows Phone 7 is around.

Love seeing that HBO Go is coming, that will be great. SyFy would have excited me about 5 years ago when SG1, SG: Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica were still going strong. Now, I don't watch anything on that channel. Nothing else seems too exciting in that list other then Netflix and ESPN but, we already have those.

With wp7.5 mango they are pretty much feature comparable with ios/android... mango really is what they should have released last year. Even before mango I'd take my focus over any android device or iphone. After using wp7 for a year now it's thinking way beyond just having pages of apps to do things on this phone.

The voice control works flawlessly for me.... but I did do the advanced mic setup which helped quite a bit fine tune it. I actually hate it now when I am in media center because I can't say xbox pause/play or any of the other commands.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPraze /forum/post/21047640

I LOVE my windows phone. I think it is way better the the android devices I have had, and with the new Mango update it is even better. I've never been happier with a mobile device. I have only had limited time with an iphone, so can't compare there.

+1

Every time I see an iPhone or Android, I marvel at how good my Samsung Focus looks in comparison. The Metro UI really stands out in comparison.

#15 ·
Some details were released about the UFC portion of the announcement.

Quote:
Step into the Octagon and experience the energy of the Ultimate Fighting Championship like never before with the launch of UFC on Xbox LIVE on Dec. 1. Order live UFC pay-per-view events in stunning high definition, access a library of live and on-demand video content, connect with friends to predict fight results, compare fighter stats and records, and more, all from one “ultimate fight center” – your Xbox 360.*

The ultimate destination for UFC fans, UFC on Xbox LIVE will broadcast its first live pay-per-view fight, UFC 140, from the Air Canada Centre in Toronto on Dec. 10. Catch all the pre-fight excitement in one place with weigh-ins, interviews, event previews, and press conferences, and share your predictions with fellow fans on a friends’ leaderboard, only on Xbox 360.

Headlined by an epic light heavyweight title fight between the devastating Jon Jones and elusive knockout artist Lyoto Machida, and featuring the much-anticipated rematch between former heavyweight champions Frank Mir and Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira, UFC 140 promises to deliver a memorable night of action-packed fights to celebrate the premiere of UFC on Xbox LIVE.

UFC on Xbox LIVE provides the most in-depth UFC content available in one comprehensive location, including:

Live and On-Demand Video– Event previews, UFC Countdown, press conferences, weigh-ins, interviews, workouts, highlights, and more, together for the first time on your big screen.

Streaming HD Quality in 720p – UFC fans demand stunning HD viewing, and Xbox LIVE brings the most premium streaming HD to the big screen.

Pay-Per-View with Ease – The biggest pay-per-view fights available to all Xbox LIVE members in HD and SD pricing options. Purchase directly with your credit card, Microsoft Points not required.

Interactive Fight Card with Predictions – Size up the fighters with the tale of the tape and view their past fight results. Predict upcoming fights, compare results with friends for points and bragging rights, and see where you stand against them on the leaderboard, all accessible while watching the fight so you’ll never have to leave the excitement of the Octagon.

Control the action with Kinect – Focus on the fight instead of looking for the remote. Navigate through the video content, bring up the Interactive Fight Card, or play, pause, and rewind that big punch, kick or submission…all with the magic of Kinect.
http://majornelson.com/2011/10/07/uf...-december-1st/

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus /forum/post/21050177

Sounds interesting, but UFC PPV is something I already have access to via the cable company. The "extras" don't sound all that exciting.

I doubt the price would be lower, but there is always the possibility the price would be cheaper. Plus, the interface could be a lot better, and it will give you the ability to watch a fight with friends remotely.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid /forum/post/21050235

I doubt the price would be lower, but there is always the possibility the price would be cheaper. Plus, the interface could be a lot better, and it will give you the ability to watch a fight with friends remotely.

I like the interactivity for the UFC app. It sounds like the pick 'em college showdown in ESPN which is fun.

#21 ·
Microsoft already has 8 apps in the iPhone appstore so who knows they might do it.

Another interesting fact is Microsoft makes more revenue from Android than they do WP7 due to patent royalties.

#23 ·
Maybe not an official MS/Xbox branded app, but someone will figure out a way to work around it.

I've been using an Android Live app for years for checking to see who is online or sending messages to Live friends when I don't want to fire up the console or can't get to a computer.

#24 ·
There are apps for you to check which friends are online as well as send/receive messages. Assuming they are using wifi to communicate with the xbox I dont see why someone wouldnt make an app. I also use an app so my xbox can play my songs and playlists over wifi as well.

#25 ·
People are free to make Xbox/Xbox Live apps utilizing available Web Services. However, Microsoft will never release an official app for Android or Apple. And if they view any of these homebrewed app as threatening (for any reason), it will disable those apps at any time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.