post #271 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

This is the kind of stuff I expected: things that would interfere with TWC's sales won't be allowed...

If TWC offered the channel and you subscribed to it then you could have access to it. It has nothing to do with TWC alone its ALL cable companies. They are the ones blocking access via.sepperate subscription. I have Cox and if I didn't subscribe to EPIX I wouldn't be able to get it on the XBOX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

This is the kind of stuff I expected: things that would interfere with TWC's sales won't be allowed...

It's such absurdity (fixed for cursing!) too. If Xbox tried to get agreements directly from HBO or even network television for live streaming of shows, well... who controls your internet service but the cable company of course.

The good news, at least theoretically, is that companies that want to provide streaming TV will keep fighting the cable companies so maybe someday we'll have more options.

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
post #273 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
So happy with the new layout on the Dash. I hated the NXE layout. This one actually makes sense with easy access to games, profile, and friends. And MS is happy because they can still shove advertising down our throats at the same time. Win win!

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #274 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I had a different experience with the dash...I was in the last beta, but did not see, nor get in on this one. I have, prior to this, had no issues with any updates. Last night, I logged in, loaded Gears 3 prior to the update splash screen, prompted for the update, clicked ok, and got the quick small download screen. I never got the shutdown, nor the long download/shutdown/download...Played gears for about two hours, and got booted from LIVE around 10:30, and was not allowed to re-connect. After verifying there was not an internet problem at my house, figured out that the update had kicked me off live.
I was able to connect long enough to do another download, and begin the new update...but still could not re-connect to LIVE. I gave up at about midnight, checked xbox.com, and verified the "server connection" issue. and went to bed... I hope the interruption will not cause an issue with the new update.
will try when I get home

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #275 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

I had a different experience with the dash...I was in the last beta, but did not see, nor get in on this one. I have, prior to this, had no issues with any updates. Last night, I logged in, loaded Gears 3 prior to the update splash screen, prompted for the update, clicked ok, and got the quick small download screen. I never got the shutdown, nor the long download/shutdown/download...Played gears for about two hours, and got booted from LIVE around 10:30, and was not allowed to re-connect. After verifying there was not an internet problem at my house, figured out that the update had kicked me off live.
I was able to connect long enough to do another download, and begin the new update...but still could not re-connect to LIVE. I gave up at about midnight, checked xbox.com, and verified the "server connection" issue. and went to bed... I hope the interruption will not cause an issue with the new update.
will try when I get home

Maybe it
Has to
Do with the additional 10 million accounts than from a year ago and other unforeseen issues yesterday. I am in the beta and had no problems until yesterday when they started to push it out.

The 5.0 is here
post #276 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 329
For those wondering about Netflix Party Sharing.

Quote:

The new app platform on Xbox does not support the video party mode feature at this time, so will not be available in any existing app partners that have updated their app, like Netflix, or any of the new Xbox app partners. The feature is still available in some of our international video apps, like BSkyB in the UK and will likely be included in the next version of the app dev kit.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1214177p1.html
post #277 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

If TWC offered the channel and you subscribed to it then you could have access to it. It has nothing to do with TWC alone its ALL cable companies. They are the ones blocking access via.sepperate subscription. I have Cox and if I didn't subscribe to EPIX I wouldn't be able to get it on the XBOX.

TWC offers ESPN and ESPN3 and I subscribe to TWC cable and their internet service, yet I can't get ESPN3 on my Xbox. Therefore your first statement is not a blanket truth.

Does anybody know if the new ESPN3 app in this new dashboard supports moronic TWC?
post #278 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Anybody having issues getting updated now? I'm looking to boot my 360 for the first time since the dash is avail sometime tonight.
post #279 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

For those wondering about Netflix Party Sharing. [...]

Gah. So basically we have more ads and significant feature regression? As someone who doesn't want to have my Kinect hooked up all the time to my primary Xbox 360, this "upgrade" seems... lackluster.

I'm reminded of the Windows Media Player updates, where each version of Windows Media Player got more bloated and slower and yet was less able to play videos as time went on. The version in Windows 7 is no longer able to use DirectShow filters at all, so it's crippled to the point of basically being unusable except with a small subset of Microsoft-approved file formats. Sure, it's easier for them to maintain when they don't have to worry about weird combinations of codecs and media containers, but it sucks for end users. Is this really "progress"?
post #280 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

TWC offers ESPN and ESPN3 and I subscribe to TWC cable and their internet service, yet I can't get ESPN3 on my Xbox. Therefore your first statement is not a blanket truth.

Does anybody know if the new ESPN3 app in this new dashboard supports moronic TWC?

No it doesn't . I can view highlight videos but anything else? Nope. Nothing live either.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
post #281 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Anybody having issues getting updated now? I'm looking to boot my 360 for the first time since the dash is avail sometime tonight.

I updated last night, no issues.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #282 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

Indeed same with showtime anytime and Watch ESPN for me. It wasn't meant to be a blanket statement. Besides subscribing your cable Co has to sign itself up.for the service so its open to you. It sucks and I have heard horror stories about TWC so I understand your fustration.
post #283 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

For those wondering about Netflix Party Sharing.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1214177p1.html

at least this gives hope that they'll bring it back! please bring back netflix parties! it was the thing that distinguished the Xbox version. now it's feature-equivalent to all other Netflix platforms.
post #284 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak View Post

Gah. So basically we have more ads and significant feature regression? As someone who doesn't want to have my Kinect hooked up all the time to my primary Xbox 360, this "upgrade" seems... lackluster.

I'm reminded of the Windows Media Player updates, where each version of Windows Media Player got more bloated and slower and yet was less able to play videos as time went on. The version in Windows 7 is no longer able to use DirectShow filters at all, so it's crippled to the point of basically being unusable except with a small subset of Microsoft-approved file formats. Sure, it's easier for them to maintain when they don't have to worry about weird combinations of codecs and media containers, but it sucks for end users. Is this really "progress"?

To the advertiser/manufacturer/service provider, it is progress to them because they have more ways to spam their ads in our faces. The old advertising method that consumers have to request for the ad simply isn't as effective.

Of course to us, that is not progress because advertising continues to become on your face even you don't want to see it.

Just wait until Minority Report alike style advertising because the reality because it's not that far away. Advertising today are already customized for individual consumers. Example, have you tried to change your zip in your browser and fake the user name when browsing? Just see how much your personal data is used to customized the advertising appearing trying to suit your taste and get you to buy them without much thinking. Integrating this type of customize advertising is also what game console is going for. The more effective customized advertising can reach you, the more consumers will buy them. Semi-workaround trick is never give the system any of your personal data. Enter fake data. At least that way, the advertising that you cannot turn off can't try to customize to your taste to get you to buy without thinking. Test that and you will find yourself buying less products that you don't want and need.
post #285 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Updated a few minutes ago. No problems whatsoever. EPIX works, Netflix works, Cloud Storage works. I like it.
post #286 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Perhaps Microsoft isn't interested in alienating TWC by making it easy to get services that aren't already offered, but re-offering ONLY what's available (or not, in my case) from my cable company seems oddly crippled.

Having ONLY what I can get through a TWC DVR is not a deal, and won't get Microsoft far. They HAVE to offer more that I can already get, since a lot more people than me need to be convinced that paying for LIVE gets them something worth the money.

I have a Sony Blu-Ray player that offers several Internet PPV channels along with free ones. TWC doesn't offer them, but I can get them, right along with Netflix and HULU Plus. If I can't get those eventually off the 360, then I'll be SURE that they are being blocked...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #287 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone experimented with Kinect voice control on the new dashboard. If I stay login as one Gamertag, the voice control works quite well being very responsive and mostly accurate.

But once I start to switch from Gamertag to another Gamertag, Kinect voice control often starts to become "moody" like it starts to randomly ignore me.

I really hate having to go to 3 different tabs to be able to do manage all the user stuff if using the new dashboard.
post #288 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Update looks nice, but will never use any of it.
post #289 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Anybody catch the new iPhone app for Live? Pretty cool.

Edit: just noticed the cloud storage options and the beacon. This is a really cool update.
post #290 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I'll be using the voice control a lot to watch videos, based on how many button-presses now required to get there.

The Bing search works fine: "Xbox Bing Mentalist" may not have found anything pertinent, but the word Mentalist was on the screen...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #291 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I keep reading about Color Space/Display Settings being wrong and getting greys where there should be blacks.

And, people are reporting their dash is now brighter.

Is this widespread???

Is there a setting that fixes it???

I don't want to doanload the new update till I know what's going on with that. I don't want to have the problems I keep reading about.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #292 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I keep reading about Color Space/Display Settings being wrong and getting greys where there should be blacks.

Is this widespread???

I don't want to doanload the new update till I know what's going on with that. I don't want to have the problems I keep reading about.

I have just noticed it in the netflix app during playback. The video is washed out. I haven't noticed the dash being brighter but haven't been very thorough in checking it. I heard someone else say games are fine. It seems to be like the color space isn't changing properly for video playback.
post #293 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It would have been sweet if Microsoft reserves a tab for user's personal shortcuts. (Even a cheap $10 cellphone has it). Certain app/button is just too buried to access it quickly.

I understand there are very few left that still use HD DVD player but I do, for old HD DVD movies and DVD movies. Why wear out the primary DVD drive if I can use HD DVD drive to play DVD movies. To play it, it's buried in Apps, My Apps, HD DVD player. If it's possible to create shortcut access to app/button that I only care, it would make dashboard navigation a lot faster.

The Kinect voice control has no ability to skip in-between steps because every command must be given based on menu steps. What is up with that because voice command supposed to be able to faster by skipping to the app/button you want? Just poor design.

Somehow on game consoles, the belief is there is only one way to organize the menu navigation.
post #294 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution View Post

I have just noticed it in the netflix app during playback. The video is washed out. I haven't noticed the dash being brighter but haven't been very thorough in checking it. I heard someone else say games are fine. It seems to be like the color space isn't changing properly for video playback.

Thanks, I don't use it for movies anyway.

However if the new update creates a problem for a brighter picture overall, such as in the dash or for the black level, that's not good.

Glad to hear it's not effecting the games.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #295 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

The Kinect voice control has no ability to skip in-between steps because every command must be given based on menu steps. What is up with that because voice command supposed to be able to faster by skipping to the app/button you want? Just poor design.

there are a number of shortcut methods with voice control.

for example, if you want to go immediately to one of your games like an XBLA game, you can use the bing search.

if you want to go to an app, you can say "xbox, apps, _____"
post #296 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 10:01 PM

I've updated and now whenever I go to Netflix or that Today channel it appears that the video is no longer HD. It also seems that in those modes the Xbox thinks its hooked up to a 4:3 set because I still get black bars on the top and bottom on regular widescreen shows or films that should take up the whole screen not to mention the picture looks awful in SD on my HD TV. All my TV settings are right. When I go back to the dash everything is fine but when i go to those 2 channels, no more HD. I'm connected to a Panny plasma using a VGA cable set to 1024:768. Any ideas?
post #297 of 962 Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

there are a number of shortcut methods with voice control.

for example, if you want to go immediately to one of your games like an XBLA game, you can use the bing search.

if you want to go to an app, you can say "xbox, apps, _____"

I know that one. Problem is when there are more than one app menu deep to voice command, it doesn't always work for me giving "xbox, ___, ___" voice command quicker like saying it in a sentence without pausing longer in between words. I also tried speaking quite close to the Kinect.

Does Kinect auto adjust to the user's speaking style and learn the patterns through daily interaction? I have Aibo, robotic dog which was last made 5 years ago that has far better voice recognition and able self auto adjust to my speaking style and my pattern through daily interactions. I can speak softly in the next room and my dogs can pick up my voice. One of the trick is being a good guesser what the full sentence commands the user is saying than getting stuck if one of the word isn't clear in the sentence. One cool feature that some users will hate is my dogs have moods and if they don't feel like it or mad at you, they can disobey you intentionally.
post #298 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

According to the Netflix blog, the new XBOX Netflix app only does 720P HD video.
post #299 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Well...I was able to get both machines up and running last night. Spent some time downloading the apps...Netflix recognized my account immediately. (on both) not like the last update, where I had to sign in and link to my account via my PC again...
I did download Epix, even though I am not a subscriber...I went to their site after checking out the offerings...there doesn't seem to be an indication of the cost...(that I could seee). Is anyone a subscriber...monthly, yearly? How much?
All in all, I like the new look. I have never really disliked the different incarnations of the dash, just the loss of some features. Now, we lose LASTFM.?

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #300 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Is this widespread???

Go Auto and Intermediate in Display settings, after the update -that helps but doesn't fix it 100%.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page