The Official Xbox 360 Dashboard/Update Thread - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Is it bad I don't ever notice the advertising? They could have a naked woman in the ad space and I wouldn't notice it. With nxe I just knew where the section i wanted was and would navigate to it without thinking. I really haven't messed with the update much except to find MW3. I guess I know what picture I am looking to find and block out the rest.

For the record I agree we shouldn't be getting outside ads. Advertising games on XBLA or expansion packs is fine because it may alert people to something they are looking for or want.

Beacons seem awesome so far. It solves the problem of joining a full lobby and then having to leave. Notifying friends you want to play a game is fantastic. I think last night when people dropped out we knew who to send invites to so we didn't miss a beat. People dropped in an out but we still kept GW full.

I need to get my kinect setup and try out the navigation. People here make it sound like it actually works well. Kinect may finally get more use!

Yeah I love the beacons. I'm almost always down for mw3. Almost. Problem is that I end up denying so many invites cause I'm in the middle of something else that I'm not really getting them much anymore. This way I can always be clear about whether or not I'm game for mw3, even if I'm playing skyrim. It's brilliant. It's this kind of thing that keeps me paying for XBL even though I feel like I'm getting shafted....it's still the best.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

And I have found that those that just take whatever is thrown at them, become complacent and just accept anything, regardless of whether it's right or not

I'm neither complacent or blindly accepting. The new Dashboard is an improvement and additive to my LIVE experience.

Quote:

For the record, when the NXE came out, I did complain to Microsoft and got a nice form letter response back, where they basically gave me a virtual middle finger.

It's great you communicated your issues but you have to try to not take it so personally. Throughout the dashboard preview, threads were endlessly created in the private forums with people complaining about advertisements. So you're obviously not alone and Microsoft is aware of it. But on balance, they're decided it's best for their business and the service.

I can relate to this thought process as it's one I share for my company. Leaving money on the table to take a path viewed more virtuous by some is a very difficult decision to justify.

I'm a little taken back by the complaints here. I was really surprised at how much I liked the new Dashboard during the preview and was waiting to see everyone elses responses. It's faster, better organized, has beacons, apps, voice and Kinect navigation, cloud integration and is just generally more cohesive. For me, these things strongly outweigh a couple boxes with logos on them. I guess on this, I'm a glass half-full kinda guy.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #363 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

So because it's ok for one medium to do it, we should just accept advertising all over the place. Got it.

That's what is wrong with the country right now, we're all living in an era where the corporation has become so engrained into society, you cannot escape them or their logos and advertising, even on a pay service.

mboojigga (feels weird typing that out to someone), look at it from our point of view....we're paying for a service, not paying for advertising from outside, non-360 related companies, and although I am sure it's buried in the TOS somewhere, that doesn't mean that we, as citizens and paying customers, need yet another medium where we can be bombarded by corporate America's incessant shilling. Sometimes people want to escape from that and now, we can't even PAY to get away from it. That's all I am trying to say, not gonna leave the service, but I don't like the idea that we're getting spammed on what is supposed to be the more "premium" of the two services they offer.

Look I am too busy serving my country to be that concerned that I see and ad on my 360. Coming from a deployment during the time the Superbowl is on and I CAN'T see the commercials because I am in Iraq. It is a relief to see a commercial after 6 months of training commercials on AFN. That's my perspective on it. Basically this country is no different than any other when it comes to advertisements.

The 5.0 is here
post #364 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Is it bad I don't ever notice the advertising?

Like you, I don't notice the ads either. I keep reading about being "bombarded" and having ads "shoved" in my face and I don't get it. Some pages have one non-MS ad in the lower right box...I guess that's an issue for some.

I personally like to see the plugs for new content that has become available, or reduced games and movies. That kind of stuff is, to me, the same as HBO showing promos and lets me know what's new...
post #365 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

I'm a little taken back by the complaints here. I was really surprised at how much I liked the new Dashboard during the preview and was waiting to see everyone elses responses. It's faster, better organized, has beacons, apps, voice and Kinect navigation, cloud integration and is just generally more cohesive. For me, these things strongly outweigh a couple boxes with logos on them. I guess on this, I'm a glass half-full kinda guy.

Agree 100%

The positives you mentioned were immediately noticable for me and easily outweighed my biggest gripe...premium themes are even more useless than before.
post #366 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just a couple of quick points that I learned from the Beta:

It is not necessary to move from the apps section up to the tab bar to move from section to section. Use the bumper or the joystick to the left or right. When it runs out of apps for the tab section that you are in it will move to the next tab without having to go up to the tab, scroll using the tab bars and then back down again.

To see all your friends in the Social section just press the A button and they all show up.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #367 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdethloff View Post

Like you, I don't notice the ads either. I keep reading about being "bombarded" and having ads "shoved" in my face and I don't get it. Some pages have one non-MS ad in the lower right box...I guess that's an issue for some.

I personally like to see the plugs for new content that has become available, or reduced games and movies. That kind of stuff is, to me, the same as HBO showing promos and lets me know what's new...

Same here. Reading this thread I was actually worried to do the update. Last night I updated and it went fine, no problems at all. I just got Kinect on Black Friday so it's all new to me and good timing with the dash update because all in all I think it's pretty awesome. Minority Report baby.

I hate ads, I really do, but I honestly don't see them, at least not any more so than I did in the previous dash. I think the ads are better integrated with the dash and placed more appropriately than before, maybe that's why I didn't really notice them. Besides who cares about ads? All I've been doing since yesterday is turning on my 360 and saying "Xbox play Gears of War 3" anyway.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #368 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'll be honest, I haven't really played around with the new dashboard to really comment about whether its better or not. It seems pretty clean and I had no problem firing up the games I wanted to. I have a Kinect but don't use it all that much.

A couple questions for others that have more experience with it:

-How is the integration with Windows Media Center? We use a small Dell pc as our media box currently (we cut the cord 18 months ago).

-Is it a good idea to move my gamertag to the cloud? I don't travel or use other XBOX's too often but expect I will over Christmas (primarily BF3 and Skyrim).

Xbox handle: TheRotoman
post #369 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoman View Post

I'll be honest, I haven't really played around with the new dashboard to really comment about whether its better or not. It seems pretty clean and I had no problem firing up the games I wanted to. I have a Kinect but don't use it all that much.

-How is the integration with Windows Media Center? We use a small Dell pc as our media box currently (we cut the cord 18 months ago).

-Is it a good idea to move my gamertag to the cloud? I don't travel or use other XBOX's too often but expect I will over Christmas (primarily BF3 and Skyrim).

You are not actually saving your profile to the cloud. You are just authorizing the 360 to have your profile available to use. The cloud is just for saves only and that is where the benefit comes if you have multiple consoles like myself.

The 5.0 is here
post #370 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoman View Post

You don't move your gamer tag to the cloud...just the saves. You dint even need to move them, you can make spare copies. It operates the same as a memory stick. You still need to recover your tag once on the other box. It's pretty painless after that.

It's good for a backup even if you have only one box. I just had a HDD die, and it saved my ass (I was in the beta).

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #371 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Good info. Thanks guys.

Xbox handle: TheRotoman
post #372 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 425
As far as I know nothing has changed with the Window's Media Center integration.
post #373 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Microsoft defense Force?

I have been in the beta and you are assuming everyone sees every ad at the same time. What you see on your dash is going to be different at times on mine.
I am not saying it is good or bad but damn how hard is it to just press play and game? Your coming off as if as you have a medical condition to seeing an ad on a service you pay one time a year on. How do you deal with commercials that have nothing to do with the content you are watching. I DVR and skip through them and that is a monthly bill for sat. Microsoft is no different than Apple, Sony and every cable/Sat/Internet provider out there. Ads are everywhere. My recommendation is to disconnect your 360, start COD plug your Ethernet back in and start Live. You have now avoided the ads. Otherwise tweet Major Nelson and Greenberg and ask them. Why bother gaming on the 360 if it bothers you so much? How many times are you going to say the same thing over and over each year. We get it you don't like whatever ads you are seeing and you have options.

No, I'm coming off no differently than the other 5 or so guys that have piped up and said the same thing; that we're paying for a premium service and don't want to have ads. That's all I've ever said and after reading the comments from others, the same was said by them.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #374 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

Why do people always say "corporate america" and "thats whats wrong with THIS country". Have you never watched a sporting match overseas. Advertising is everywhere in every country. Love it or hate it but if you have a business you will be doing it and that includes small businesses and the people that give you whatever job you have. The jobs that mean you dont have to go out and hunt and grow your own food and mine your own coal or cut down your own trees.

I would love to engage in a debate with that about you, but I dare say it would end up taking us WAY off topic and I don't feel like the mods would want that. I'll be glad to talk with you about it in PM's though.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #375 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I don't have time to talk about ads, I'm too busy checking out all these awesome ads... ooh! a new Hyaundai!!!

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #376 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:

I would love to engage in a debate with that about you, but I dare say it would end up taking us WAY off topic and I don't feel like the mods would want that. I'll be glad to talk with you about it in PM's though.

please do. 20+ posts of ranting is enough. you could've consolidated your thoughts in much lesser number of posts. or if you had questions on how to do so-and-so thing in the dash, others could've helped you out.
post #377 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I've pretty much only responded to posts made toward me since my initial comments in here. Am I not allowed to respond to posts directed towards me since I have a differing view on this than you do? Funny, I didn't think lock step agreement was required here at AVS.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #378 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:

Are you guys telling me you really didn't see the constant Hyundai ad blitz that went on for the last few weeks on your 360's? It was in more than one spot, saw it a bunch, and the same goes for the Axe body wash stuff.

I never noticed any Hyundai advertisements.(or Axe Body Wash)

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #379 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Others mentioned seeing it within the last few weeks also aaron, so trust me, they were there.

We're beating a dead horse at this point, I know how you guys feel and you all know the opinions I have. Let's just move on.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #380 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

One thing I can't find on the new dash is the Fun Labs for Kinect (we just got one a few days ago and were playing around with some of them which was easily accessible under the Kinect section of the old dash).

I had to do the "XBOX - BING - FUN LABS" thing to get to it. Anyone know where that's actually at on the new dash? It's not listed under the games section or anywhere else I could find. I did see ads for it, but when you go there there's no option to launch it.

I also noticed the fun labs don't seem to download in the background for some reason (if I backed out of the download, they never showed up and didn't appear in the Active Downloads section). But if I downloaded it and left the screen up to see the progress, they did. Weird.

Yeah, Microsoft messed up here. I actually had to do your suggestion and use bing search to get to fun labs. It doesn't show up under your games when you filter by all or when you filter by Kinect games.

If you select the Kinect Fun Labs ad, it will bring up the games page for Kinect Fun Labs and then you can play it or download it again. At first I thought it was a game update issue as I hadn't played it in awhile and it did prompt me to download the update for Fun Labs, but after loading the program and then quitting out, it's still not showing up under the games or under the quick play history.

I assume Microsoft will fix this ASAP when the developers of the fun labs gadgets complain when they see their sales drop because now Kinect Fun Labs is practically hidden. And if people can't even find the Fun Labs, they can't purchase any gadgets. They responded when indie games developers complained when the indie games were relocated in the marketplace, causing sales to drop.
post #381 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^ Ah-ha. Then I'm not crazy! Do you have a similar experience when trying to download gadgets or widgets or whatever they are called (you can't back out of the download screen or they don't download?).
post #382 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

^ Ah-ha. Then I'm not crazy! Do you have a similar experience when trying to download gadgets or widgets or whatever they are called (you can't back out of the download screen or they don't download?).

I follow the same procedure for Kinect Fun Labs as always. Microsoft is pushing that as its own app platform so I'm thinking that's why it doesn't show up as a "game". So you should download the various fun lab apps (which are just Kinect hacks that were commercially published by MS) from within Fun Labs.

When you try to queue up multiple downloads, they'll download, but they won't install. You have to go one at a time, select the download, and then after the download, you choose to install it which I think causes the app to restart. Then it'll be available. Then repeat for the other gadgets.

choose to install your gadgets from within the fun labs application rather than installing from the normal Xbox game sections or from the web browser.
then install 1 gadget. it'll ask to restart the fun labs and then you agree to restart the app. then test the app. then install the next gadget and restart the app again. then test the app. follow through on all the fun lab gadgets.

this helps out a lot of people that had a hard time getting the kinect fun labs apps to run (people would report that the Xbox would hang when they tried to run something like avatar kinect).
post #383 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

we're paying for a premium service and don't want to have ads. That's all I've ever said and after reading the comments from others, the same was said by them.

There are very few things that you pay for these days that don't come with integrated advertising of some sort. You've just become too used to it to notice it. Like any new medium, you notice it at first, then you stop noticing it as much with time. Magazines, for example, are dominated by ads even though you pay for them. Cable TV. Movies. Clothes. Radio. This forum. The entire internet. Etc. Etc. These are all things you pay a premium for, and yet they're overrun with ads. It's like that Futurama episode where Fry complains about ads being in his dreams in the future, but that in his time they were "only" in everything else.

My big issue with the old NXE was that the ads got in the way of easy navigation. This new revision fixes that problem. The ads are still just as prevalent, but now they don't interfere with your ability to navigate easily.

And I honestly don't know how anyone can complain about ads in this new revision and believe that ads in the old NXE weren't as intrusive. That's nonsense. Easily 90% of every menu option in the old NXE was dominated by ads that you were forced to navigate through. Now in the new revision, the ads are there, but you don't have to navigate through them. Far less intrusive.

Anyhow, I feel where you're coming from. I got slammed here when I complained about all the ads when the NXE was first introduced. I still feel like my complaining was justified, but whatever. MS has found a reasonable compromise with this new revision.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #384 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

There are very few things that you pay for these days that don't come with integrated advertising of some sort. You've just become too used to it to notice it. Like any new medium, you notice it at first, then you stop noticing it as much with time. Magazines, for example, are dominated by ads even though you pay for them. Cable TV. Movies. Clothes. Radio. This forum. The entire internet. Etc. Etc. It's like that Futurama episode where Fry complains about ads being in his dreams in the future, but that in his time they were "only" in everything else.

My big issue with the old NXE was that the ads got in the way of easy navigation. This new revision fixes that problem. The ads are still just as prevalent, but now they don't interfere with your ability to navigate easily.

And I honestly don't know how anyone can complain about ads in this new revision and believe that ads in the old NXE weren't as intrusive. That's nonsense. Easily 90% of every menu option in the old NXE was dominated by ads that you were forced to navigate through. Now in the new revision, the ads are there, but you don't have to navigate through them. Far less intrusive.

The old one is what I've have been referencing for the most part. I see them on this one, and yes, they aren't as bad, I agree there, I just wish they weren't there at all on a Gold account.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #385 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

The old one is what I've have been referencing for the most part. I see them on this one, and yes, they aren't as bad, I agree there, I just wish they weren't there at all on a Gold account.

Then, yes, totally with you. It's something I really hated about the old NXE. Folks here just kept telling me to use the pop-up quick menu.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #386 of 962 Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
I just tried the epix app and it worked smoothly, somewhat like my hbo go and maxgo. The only thing is that the quality was not that great at times for Iron Man 2. Pixelation occurred during heavy action scenes and it never seemed like it was 1080p. But since this is for my daughter she probably won't care about the quality.
post #387 of 962 Old 12-09-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

As far as I know nothing has changed with the Window's Media Center integration.

I spoke too soon. It looks like Microsoft did add one new feature for Media Center.

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/ind...-wtv-playback/
post #388 of 962 Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Btw, if you were in the preview, and like the UFC you might want to check the app today.
post #389 of 962 Old 12-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Liked: 24
I have a question about gamer tag on the cloud. I watched the cloud 101 video and it didn't say anything about this. how do you move your gamertag to the cloud? I can move game saves and such, but not the gamertag profile.

I want to be able to go over to my father in laws house on christmas eve and play batman or mw3 on my profile with my game saves. is that even possible.
post #390 of 962 Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsimm2 View Post

I have a question about gamer tag on the cloud. I watched the cloud 101 video and it didn't say anything about this. how do you move your gamertag to the cloud? I can move game saves and such, but not the gamertag profile.

I was also confused by this.

Best I can figure, the GamerTag isn't really in the cloud, but can be downloaded and saved on the hard drive of multiple xboxes (or memory cards) via your microsoft ID and password. If it's not an xbox in your home, be sure "save password" is not checked when logging in.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page