Assassin's Creed: Revelations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Released today. Anyone with impressions so far? Altair and Ezio are both playable, and set in Constantinople in the Ottoman Empire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post

Released today. Anyone with impressions so far? Altair and Ezio are both playable, and set in Constantinople in the Ottoman Empire.

Coming from gamefly. Should be here tomorrow
post #3 of 29 Old 11-15-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Today? Holy carp. I really like the AC series but I was so focused on Skyrim (and GoW3 to hold me over to it) I completely lost track of this game.

With Skyrim as big as it is I wonder if I will have time to squeeze in AC before ME3 comes out (I have to include replaying ME2 in this equation). AC games are games that should not be rushed through.
post #4 of 29 Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I was also caught a little off guard that it came out today; I guess I was just not paying attention. With BF3 here and Skyrim ordered it may be awhile before I get to this one.

James
post #5 of 29 Old 11-16-2011, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
FYI this game got an 8.5 on IGN with them calling it the best AC game yet.

It's going to be hard to resist the urge to pick this one up.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 88
There seems to be a slight graphical improvement in the player models, especially Ezio and Desmond. Desmond looked almost out of place he's so detailed.
post #7 of 29 Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 AM

Best buy will have this for $35 on Black Friday, and I'm sure that Amazon will match that price eventually.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.net

XBL and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #8 of 29 Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 PM

Glad I rented this. I've had enough of AC. I know a lot of games and the way they play are similar but I'm done with this series
post #9 of 29 Old 11-19-2011, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I just completed ACR. The game plays just like AC2 and ACB. 1st three DNA Sequences have training, to refresh old skills and a few new ones.The Hook replaces the hidden blade. Makes climb building much quicker. There isn't a horse in the city. Can't ride horse anymore like ACB. 95% of the game takes place in the same city. The training shows you how to build defense strategy game from building roof but you never get to use this again if you don't play the challenges. Personally, I don't mind even while the defense isn't hard, it's slow and boring. The enemies have hidden sniper which can be a pain if they saw and and keep shooting you. Training new assassins from ACB but I usually send them to misc missions. Able to craft different bombs. I never upgraded any armor or weapon through the game. Taking out the enemies control on each area from ACB is back. But the enemies can still attack back later on buildings that you took over. There is no optional tomb quest anymore. It's semi replaced by finding the keys which aren't optional. There is no random side quests.

You can replay any completed DNA sequences at any time but once the story is over, there isn't a way to open the DNA sequences. You are permanently stuck as Desmond in the computer wonderland.

Some Spoilers:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

You do get to play memory sequence from Altair after the 1st AC game. There were a lot of conflicts among the assassins. Ezio never gets to work with Altair which makes sense from different timeline. It's Ezio "seeing" into each key on Altair's memories. We get to know Altair, his wife and his two sons. And as 70-80 year old Altair on his final days.

Most of the game is still about Ezio into his 50s, his personal thoughts on his personal feelings in his letters to his sister. It was nice to listen to Ezio private thoughts on the woman that he kept very dearly. She was a good match for Ezio being kind of bookworm and loves historical books and maps. It was fun to see Ezio went to gather flowers personally when asked by his girl.

Altair, Ezio, Subject 16 and Desmond
Spoiler  

In the very end of Ezio's journey, he did get to meet Altair or rather his remains with face to face. Altair sat in the vault's chair waiting for Ezio all these time. Ezio didn't say this but it's very obvious from his letters to his sister and his actions that he's done as assassin and going to spend his remaining years with his girl. After all, Ezio needs to have offspring to carry his "memories" down to the future generations.

It appears Subject 16 got deleted while trying to save Desmand in the computer wonderland.

The game ends with a big cliffhanger when Desmond wakes up and knows what to do.

There are 5 quests for Desmond in 1st person, puzzle environments. A lot of trial and error to build floors around which reacts to the environments.

And, Online Multiplayer that can be unlocked from Uplay points.

Since I rented from Redbox, I didn't have to time to play the Multiplayer or complete upgrading everything since there isn't any use or any achievement for them anyway.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 AM

Wow so you only play games for achievements......
post #11 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmguy View Post

If people choose to what is wrong with that personal choice?

The 5.0 is here
post #12 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
seems like he's trolling the Assassin's Creed thread for some reason.

I'll be playing it after I get through Zelda. I really enjoyed building my group of assassin's last time, so I'm glad they brought that back.
post #13 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 10:07 AM

I'm not trolling at all. There are just so much to some games that to stop once you get achievements seems like your not getting the full effect of the game
post #14 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For achievements, after I have completed the story mode, I spend a few minutes to see if I can unlock any of the achievements. If I can't do it, I move on to other parts of the game. No achievement is worth spending hours just to unlock it.

For the previous AC games that have achievements for completing certain tasks such as bought every armor, weapon, owns every building, etc, there is no achievement in ACR. Technically, you already got them if played the previous games. So, in a way, you don't see achievements popping as often on the screen in ACR like the previous games.
post #15 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not trolling at all. There are just so much to some games that to stop once you get achievements seems like your not getting the full effect of the game

Most games have one or two achievements that require a lot of time to unlock them. In the previous games, there were feathers. I never bother to collect all the feathers because there are a few feathers are difficult to find. Even I use a map walkthrough, it's not very practical because I have no idea where the remaining hidden feathers are.

On PS3 to some gamers, the need to get the Platinum trophy is worst. If you have unlocked all the trophies for the game, you get a special Platinum trophy listed next to the game with other trophies. It's big show off and gives a big jump in the Trophy Leveling.

An interesting was a PS3 gamer who managed to max out the Trophy Level. I read a lot of gamers were impressed (or thought he cheated) but no one asked that gamer if he stopped playing games at that point because he couldn't go up in the Trophy Level anymore.
post #16 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
It says a lot that the AC series is my favorite series this gen, but I haven't yet bothered to pick up Revelations. It's a real shame that they've driven this series into the ground and milked it for all it's worth. Once they hit on a magic "formula," they didn't have the balls to try something new. And releasing a game every year for the past three years made me even less interested.

I'll definitely get around to it sometime (I am a fan after all), but it won't be anytime soon. I'm still finishing up Dark Souls and just started Skyrim. And that still leaves Gears 3, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword, and Arkham City. Then maybe I'll get around to Revelations.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #17 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

It says a lot that the AC series is my favorite series this gen, but I haven't yet bothered to pick up Revelations. It's a real shame that they've driven this series into the ground and milked it for all it's worth. Once they hit on a magic "formula," they didn't have the balls to try something new. And releasing a game every year for the past three years made me even less interested.

I'll definitely get around to it sometime (I am a fan after all), but it won't be anytime soon. I'm still finishing up Dark Souls and just started Skyrim. And that still leaves Gears 3, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword, and Arkham City. Then maybe I'll get around to Revelations.

AC series is also one of my favorites. I do agree that Ubisoft didn't try hardly anything new in each sequel. Advantage is I can jump into the sequel and start doing things before the tutorial tells me. Also, Ubisoft didn't try to improve any of the known problems. One issue I always have is climbing/jumping platforms. Whenever I go too fast, the chase camera falls behind and if the camera hasn't turned quick enough, Ezio loves to jump to his death. I have to keep my right thumb manually adjusting the camera to keep up.

Some Spoilers below:
If you don't invest into the characters, Ezio and Altair in the AC series, having similar gameplay on each sequel wouldn't be able to keep the interest. Ubisoft made the right decision to properly conclude Altair's life in Revelations. At the end of AC1, I think Altair was in his 20s. In Revelations, it felt almost like play Assassin's Creed 1.5 about the later life of Altair until his 70-80s and properly tied his legacy to Ezio.

If you have never played any AC before, Revelations were playable but it expects the player to know the previous storyline quite well. Even the basic controls aren't in the training assuming the player already knows the basics. (The basic training can be manually activated in the menu.)

I like Ezio's personal moments when he writes letters to his sister. All the screen showing is Ezio writing and his inner voice talking about his thoughts that only player who has played AC, AC2 and Brotherhood would understand. And little comments Ezio made to others like only if he was 25 years younger and he used to chase after girls when he was 17 years old referring back to AC2. When Ezio in Revelations got his eyes on the woman (I think she's in her 30s because of a comment), you know where that charm came from. It was fun to watch Ezio went to personally gather the flowers when she asked. And what Ezio winning to do when he has to save her.

My opinion is the next "AC5" needs to end the series. Question is Ubisoft going to milk pass "AC5" as they are running out of old characters.
post #18 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

A few odd behaviors or things you need to know:

1. The game uses XGD3 and installs 7.5GB onto the hard drive.
2. Traditionally, once a game is installed onto the hard drive, the disc only spins up for a few seconds when the game loads up. But sometimes it forgets it has been installed and start to read from the disc permanently. If this occurs, you have to delete the copy off the hard drive and reinstall it again.
3. On the 2nd and later time you reloaded the game, the disc will stay spinning longer until you have loaded a game save before the disc spins down.
4. If you quit back to the menu to select other items, the disc may spins up again. Maybe extra check on the new XGD3 security.
5. ACR Multiplayer needs Uplay points to unlock it. If you already have unused Uplay points from other games, you can use the points to activate the multiplayer immediately. There is also an exclusive single player content that can be unlocked using Uplay.
post #19 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

It doesn't take uPlay points to unlock the multiplayer. It has a multiplayer key that is activated through uPlay or costs 800 microsoft points if you rent it or buy a used copy.

This game has been such an incredible timesink for me and I haven't even passed the third chapter yet. I read an early review that said the best way to play through the story is to unlock everything in the city first and then train all of your assassins up so that the templars can't take your dens back. This takes a really long time and I've been having a ball. I love going through new areas and finding the viewpoints and then rehabbing that section of the city.

It's true that there's nothing really new, but the story is continued with the same quality as the previous installments. The content, on the other hand, is a little light, especially compared to Brotherhood and the hugeness/diversity of Rome. The review I read said that he loved the Desmond sequences but I found them to be a bother. I did most of them in one sitting and good riddance. When you complete them, you can play as Desmond in the city, but he still talks as Ezio in cutscenes.

I don't have any problem with yearly releases when they're of this quality. I expect radically new thing for Assassin's Creed 3 next year but if they want to update that every year, I'll be fine with it too. These past two games have been much more than expansion packs, even if they're evolutionary and not revolutionary.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to ignoring my son and complete this game!
post #20 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

It doesn't take uPlay points to unlock the multiplayer. It has a multiplayer key that is activated through uPlay or costs 800 microsoft points if you rent it or buy a used copy.

This game has been such an incredible timesink for me and I haven't even passed the third chapter yet. I read an early review that said the best way to play through the story is to unlock everything in the city first and then train all of your assassins up so that the templars can't take your dens back. This takes a really long time and I've been having a ball. I love going through new areas and finding the viewpoints and then rehabbing that section of the city.

Since I rented ACR and don't have time to play Multiplayer, I didn't "purchase" the Multiplayer option from Uplay. If I don't have the code from new game copy, what is the point of wasting my Uplay points?

It would be neat to unlock everything in the city and train new recruits but I found they are pointless as to the gameplay. I could call the recruits for assistant during the mission by I never found the need. I immediately started to purchase shops early on because they bring in the income quite fast but again, being rich is only useful if you like to upgrade your armor and weapons. Even taking over areas in the city controlled by the templars also serve no purpose other than able to unlock shops in those area. It doesn't help Ezio or anyone in the story. I never bother to defend the captured den from templars. My issue with the design is they feel like busy work. But that's up to the player if he chooses to do them.

Just make sure to do everything you want in the city before Ezio leaves the city by a boat. It's because once he returns to the city, things are in chaos. You can return to replay any of the chapter as long you haven't completed the entire story. After that, the game is locked to Desmond optional chapters.

I missed one of the five book quests. For unknown reason, the last book quest icon never appeared on the map. So, not sure what you have to do to get the last book.

If you need of more money in the game, just leave Ezio standing around because your banks will keep receiving new income. It's best to have Ezio standing next to a bank because you have to talk to the banker to know the amount of money in the bank. Only catch is if you leave Ezio unintented, Ezio will randomly get assassined by random killers. But it's harmless since Ezio simply respawns. I did this once for 2 hours for fun and made about 20,000 just standing around.

If you want the Bully achievement, make sure to unlock it when he appears on the map early on. I didn't know about the achievement and I couldn't find him again later even I tried to replay the old chapters. He's like disappeared.
post #21 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Once again, it costs money, real money, not uPlay points if the game is used or rented. Also, other people are telling me you can still replay missions through DNA after you beat the game.
post #22 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Is there anyone else besides me who just doesn't care about Ezio anymore?

I mean, I admit that AC2 took me a long time to get into, but eventually it did end up clicking for me after putting it down for a while and trying again later. I enjoyed Brotherhood until about 50-60% through, when I realized I just don't give a crap about the whole Ezio storyline.

Whenever AC3 or whatever comes out that concentrates more on Desmond, maybe then I'll actually care about the plot again, but I think until then, any of these games are going to be low on my priority list.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #23 of 29 Old 11-20-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Is there anyone else besides me who just doesn't care about Ezio anymore?

I never cared about Ezio. I think Ubi seriously misunderstands what was good about AC2. *Hint*: it had nothing to do with Ezio.

ACR is just a sign of how lazy and greedy Ubi has become with this series. And at this point, I don't think AC3 will fix what's now wrong with the AC games. Like these other games, AC3 will also be part of the one-year turnaround time. A Madden cycle does not make for good games. Period. But what sucks is that people are still buying this crap in droves. Whatever was good about the series has now died.

post #24 of 29 Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Kotaku's write-up sums up my feelings perfectly: http://kotaku.com/5861437/assassins-...-kotaku-review

Except I still think the bombs are overrated.
post #25 of 29 Old 11-21-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Kotaku's write-up sums up my feelings perfectly: http://kotaku.com/5861437/assassins-...-kotaku-review

I haven't read Kotaku in a while, but I'm glad you posted that link. Great review. Always liked Stephen Totilo's old Multiplayer blog. And he's still doing good work, even at Kotaku. Definitely makes me much more excited to play ACR than I was. Thanks.

post #26 of 29 Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Totilo was also hyping up LA Noire like crazy. I don't trust that guy at all.
post #27 of 29 Old 11-22-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Totilo was also hyping up LA Noire like crazy. I don't trust that guy at all.

To be fair, so was every other reviewer.

It's like when Heavy Rain came out. I think game reviewers are so desperate for games that fit into their pre-existing ideal of the "perfect game" (i.e. a game that plays like a summer blockbuster movie) that when any game starts to resemble a film, they go nuts. So that LA Noire write-up gets a pass even though it was a god-awful game.

post #28 of 29 Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Yea, there are a lot of hacks. Totilo's one of them is all I am saying.
post #29 of 29 Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Yea, there are a lot of hacks. Totilo's one of them is all I am saying.

Just because you disagree with him, he's a "hack"? Sometimes I'm convinced that our modern world has lost the ability to simply disagree with people without it becoming a personal attack (see cable news and congressional politics and any internet forum). Totilo's a good writer, and I respect his opinions--even when I don't always agree with him.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page