Can my original XBOX 360 do 3D over component cables? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have the original XBOX 360 with the 20GB hard drive and no HDMI output (I am using component cables). I have a 3D TV and want to try some 3D gaming.

I understand that for "real" 3D you need an HDMI connection. However I would think that I should be able to at least use SBS 3D from the XBOX 360 over component. Is this possible?

I downloaded the demo of Sonic Generations. It says I need a 3D TV to enable 3D mode when I try. I understand there is supposed to be an option under System Settings in the 360 DashBoard to tell the system that you have a 3D TV. But when I go under there I do not have the option where I can tell it that I have a 3D capable display. Is that option only listed when a HDMI connection is used?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I have the original XBOX 360 with the 20GB hard drive and no HDMI output (I am using component cables). I have a 3D TV and want to try some 3D gaming.

I understand that for "real" 3D you need an HDMI connection. However I would think that I should be able to at least use SBS 3D from the XBOX 360 over component. Is this possible?

I downloaded the demo of Sonic Generations. It says I need a 3D TV to enable 3D mode when I try. I understand there is supposed to be an option under System Settings in the 360 DashBoard to tell the system that you have a 3D TV. But when I go under there I do not have the option where I can tell it that I have a 3D capable display. Is that option only listed when a HDMI connection is used?

Thanks!

Component Video can only do the old fake "Red" and "Green" glasses 3D. It's not possible to do today's 3D because there are a lot more frames for left and right eyes that Component Video cannot handle. Plus with the digital encryption requirement, it will never happen anyway.

One of the newer games that has the "Red/Green" glasses is the 1st Batman AA GOTY. The glasses come with the game.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 01:34 AM

Liked: 93
"It's not possible to do today's 3D because there are a lot more frames for left and right eyes that Component Video cannot handle"

This is not a valid reason. Rendering a game with a 30fps cap fits well within the 60hz progressive limit of component video, using full frame video. Side-by-side, or interlaced 3D frames also entirely bypass this framerate limitation, as you can get 60fps inside of 60hz by displaying two rendered frames inside of each component video frame. Hell, you could run 60fps 3D video inside of 480i composite using side-by-side, if you wanted.

LovingDVD - 3D support on the 360 is on a per-game basis. Different games support different formats. There was a game on Xbox Live Arcade that contained a large variety of 3D options, but the name of it escapes me at the moment. It was something of a side-scrolling kung fu game. If I understand correctly, on the PS3 3D support is more of a system-wide thing, where games rely on a system software setting to enable 3D instead of needing to bring their own solution to the table.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 AM

Invincible Tiger, that's it. Go download the demo for Invincible Tiger.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d80258410982
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Some of us discovered that you can indeed use a pre-hdmi xbox 360 for 3D if you pass it through a 3D capable AVR that converts component to HDMI (I can confirm working on Denon 591 and others have it working with other AVR's).

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Some of us discovered that you can indeed use a pre-hdmi xbox 360 for 3D if you pass it through a 3D capable AVR that converts component to HDMI (I can confirm working on Denon 591 and others have it working with other AVR's).

Jason

Thanks everyone. I have an AVR that will take component In and give me HDMI out. In fact I'm using it like that already. But in Sonic Generations, just as an example, it tells me I must have a 3D TV when I try to enable 3D mode. And apparently there is no ET to tell the XBOX that I do have one because there is no such option shown in the System setting of the dashboard.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 AM

Again, 3D support on the 360 is on a per-game basis. You are fixated on a dashboard setting that has no effect on your desired end result. Go grab the game that I told you to grab earlier and see what happens.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
COD Black Ops works through the AVR, as well as any other 3D capable game that I have tried (do not have Sonic Generations to try, sorry).

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #9 of 9 Old 12-02-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Again, 3D support on the 360 is on a per-game basis. You are fixated on a dashboard setting that has no effect on your desired end result. Go grab the game that I told you to grab earlier and see what happens.

Yep, will do. I think the confusion came from the fact that the few games I happened to try only support frame packed.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page