Dashboard update bricked my console! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Xbox won't even boot up after installing the update. Here's how everything went down:

-Turned console on last night at around 8PM Pacific
-Received prompt to download update
-Xbox downloaded one update then rebooted
-Xbox downloaded another update and then hung at like 98% for 10 minutes. All I heard was the fan so I power cycled
-Xbox downloaded remainder of the update and I was able to accept new TOS and play around with the new dashboard, d/l Netflix, etc.
-Started playing a game and the console froze.
-Power cycled and now it freezes on the boot up screen
-Sometimes during power cycling, I'll get a red light and an E79 error

I called Xbox support and we tried different things including removing the hard drive, using a thumb drive, etc but it always either hangs up on the boot screen or gives me the E79 error. The rep gave me a ticket number and said someone would be calling me back in 72 hours. I've had this Xbox since 2006 and have never had a single issue with it. No freezes, no RROD, nothing. I can't help but to think that the update had something to do with this.

I'm obviously out of warranty, but do any of you have any idea how MS is going to handle this? Am I SOL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I don't think anyone here can answer your question with certainty. I suspect they'll probably take care of you, though, given the proximity of the error to the update.
post #3 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 502
you have a 2006 original console which is probably a ticking time bomb. luckily, you can probably use the dashboard update as an excuse to get a newer system. so there's a silver lining to your situation.
post #4 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
definately time to get an xbox with hdmi for sure now!

post #5 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

definately time to get an xbox with hdmi for sure now!

It does have HDMI. I think my version was the first one that came with it. I just really hope I don't get hosed because of this...
post #6 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasato View Post

It does have HDMI. I think my version was the first one that came with it. I just really hope I don't get hosed because of this...

If that's the case, then you didn't get it in 2006. HDMI was first introduced on limited models in mid to late 2007, and not rolled out for all models until 2008. So you may not be so "obviously" out of warranty as you think. You should double check.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #7 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

If that's the case, then you didn't get it in 2006. HDMI was first introduced on limited models in mid to late 2007, and not rolled out for all models until 2008. So you may not be so "obviously" out of warranty as you think. You should double check.

You're right. I checked on xbox.com and my oldest achievement was from 9/2007.

I'll keep this thread updated with info on how MS handles this. I guess there's a small chance that the whole thing was a coincidence, but the timing is just crazy. The xbox literally crapped the bed minutes after installing the update. Has anyone (non RROD) ever had their Xbox fixed by MS for free this far out of warranty?
post #8 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasato View Post

You're right. I checked on xbox.com and my oldest achievement was from 9/2007.

I'll keep this thread updated with info on how MS handles this. I guess there's a small chance that the whole thing was a coincidence, but the timing is just crazy. The xbox literally crapped the bed minutes after installing the update. Has anyone (non RROD) ever had their Xbox fixed by MS for free this far out of warranty?

The three year warranty was for RROD only. Everything else just 1 year. With that said see what they can do for you.

The 5.0 is here
post #9 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM

Liked: 93
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=438902

Read post number 4. It's amazing what comes up when you google up "Xbox e79". But why use google when you can instead rant and have your fellow forum users google for you?

In addition, there is simply the odds that some hardware decided to fail on you at the same time as the update happened. Correlation does not imply causation, and all that.
post #10 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=438902

Read post number 4. It's amazing what comes up when you google up "Xbox e79". But why use google when you can instead rant and have your fellow forum users google for you?

In addition, there is simply the odds that some hardware decided to fail on you at the same time as the update happened. Correlation does not imply causation, and all that.

Seriously? Wow you're a helpful person. How do you interpret my question as a rant? No use of multiple exclamation points, no disparaging of Microsoft, none of that. I did search E79 errors but the fixes are assuming that the console actually boots up. Mine doesn't. Also, the link you provided is over 5 years old and has nothing to do with last night's update.

Yeah, I understand Post hoc ergo propter hoc and all of that but like I said...timing is fishy.

Also, my overarching question is more about how MS handles out of warranty repairs in situations such as these. So darklordjames, should I Google that as well? Is nobody allowed to ask a civilized question that has been asked on the Internet before?
post #11 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Your first problem is that you power cycled during an update (which means any problems that come from that were caused by you). A corrupt/bad hard drive could have caused the 98% hang (but I would have let it sit over night before power cycling).... but obviously the power cycle during update screwed something up that isn't related to your storage (since you have issues with the hard drive pulled)... like others have said, you may be able to talk them into sending you a refurb, but I would not mention that it's your fault that you bricked it.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #12 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

Your first problem is that you power cycled during an update (which means any problems that come from that were caused by you). A corrupt/bad hard drive could have caused the 98% hang (but I would have let it sit over night before power cycling).... but obviously the power cycle during update screwed something up that isn't related to your storage (since you have issues with the hard drive pulled)... like others have said, you may be able to talk them into sending you a refurb, but I would not mention that it's your fault that you bricked it.

That's what has me confused. I probably should have waited longer than 10 minutes, but after power cycling the update installed. Like I said, I was able to log into XBL, download Netflix, play around with ESPN, etc. A few minutes later...no dice.
post #13 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 502
yeah, power cycling during an update wasn't a good thing to do.

you do that when updating your motherboard firmware, your router firmware, your WD TV, etc. and you end up with a brick.

but I can see why he'd panic and do it. Some of us just want to play games!
post #14 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Liked: 93
So have you actually held down the Sync button the entire time while booting the thing without a hard drive plugged in, or are you in defensive "not accepting suggestions" mode?
post #15 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

So have you actually held down the Sync button the entire time while booting the thing without a hard drive plugged in, or are you in defensive "not accepting suggestions" mode?

I forgot about this trick

Code:
Clearing Failed System Updates That Cause Console Error

Turn the console off and press and hold the Sync Up button.
While holding the Sync button, press the Power button to turn the console on.
Continue to hold the Sync button until the Console is booted up.
During this boot process, the console should clear any failed updates.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #16 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did try that and it is still freezing on boot up.
post #17 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Some people act like jerks on the internet and I suppose it is because there is nowhere else they can actually get away with it.
post #18 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 PM

darklordjames could use a class or two in civility
post #19 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Sometimes folks just lose sight of what forums like these are for. If people didn't ask questions and post answers, there'd be nothing to google in the first place!

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #20 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Kudos to the OP for keeping his cool in the face of dlj's tantrum.
post #21 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Liked: 11
between the ps3 and my xbox's (old school non-HDMI 20GB pro, and a new slim), i hold my breath every single time a new update is forced on me.

i'm from the old PC school of thought, where you don't flash your BIOS unless you're having problems...so consoles make me uneasy to a certain extent because they're ALWAYS issuing system updates that have the potential to brick your system.

prior to the update, my old pro was having intermittent E79 errors on startup, nothing i could duplicate at will, and usually turning off/on would clear it. i was really nervous when it updated last night, but i got lucky, and had no issues at all.

to the OP, i hope this somehow gets resolved without too much stress or financial discomfort.

Chimpuat

post #22 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpuat View Post

to the OP, i hope this somehow gets resolved without too much stress or financial discomfort.

Thanks! Yeah I definitely don't want to be out $300, but I guess the plus side is that I would finally be able to get rid of the only non-black thing in my AV cabinet
post #23 of 33 Old 12-07-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post

darklordjames could use a class or two in civility

That's being kind.
The internet is so scary with all these tough guys hanging around

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #24 of 33 Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

That's being kind.
The internet is so scary with all these tough guys hanging around

The Internet, that's where I'm a Viking!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 33 Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

People get tired of hearing the same old crap. Every single update always manages to brick some peoples console. Its tiring. It just happen to fail at that time. Get over it and send it in under warranty. Case closed nothing to see.
post #26 of 33 Old 12-16-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

People get tired of hearing the same old crap. Every single update always manages to brick some peoples console. Its tiring. It just happen to fail at that time. Get over it and send it in under warranty. Case closed nothing to see.

MS isn't covering this under warranty so that's not an option. They are claiming that there is an onboard "chip" that handles updates and that the chip must have been bad prior to installing the update and by installing the update, the bad chip problem has surfaced. I call BS but there's not much I can do but pay the man I guess.
post #27 of 33 Old 12-16-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Y'know that's a pretty blanket statement...
However, I find i have to pretty much agree with the OP...I have had multiple issues since the update with my 1.5 year old Elite. No problems before the update...multiple freezes and lockups since...coincidence? I doubt it...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #28 of 33 Old 12-17-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Ya know...my 2 year old Jaspar is acting squirrely since the update too. I get some freezes in games now that quickly corrects itself. And it never just turns off with one push of the button anymore. The on/off button begins to blink green on turnoff and then the console comes back on when I depress it again. After that ritual it turns off properly. I'm a bit worried that MS screwed something up with that update. IMO...all of these updates are getting old anyway. They are just loading the console up with "Bloatware" that I don't really use. XBox Live is beginning to feel & behave too much like windows IMO.
post #29 of 33 Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm starting to think there could be small incompatibility issues going on since there are now a number of Xbox 360 units out there. The nice thing about consols is they are all pretty much identical as far as hardware is concerned. The truth is, there have been many upgrades to the hardware since it's original Xbox 360 release. I think what we are starting to see is the effects of different manufacturing techniques of the Xbox 360s and how they react to "universal" updates.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #30 of 33 Old 12-19-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

People ( I )get tired of hearing the same old crap. Every single update always manages to brick some peoples console. Its (I find it) tiring. It just happen to fail at that time. Get over it and send it in under warranty. Case closed nothing (for me) to see.

Do you speak for everyone? I like to decide for myself what I'm interested in reading, thank you.

I fixed your statement above.

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page