Gamertag login using Kinect face recognition - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have multiple Gamertags all owned and played by myself. If I setup Gamertag1 login using the Kinect face recognition, is there a way to set Gamertag2 using Kinect face recognition with myself again if I "make faces" to look different?

So far, for Gamertag2, I have tried putting one hand and even both hands to cover part of my face but once I do that, Kinect face recognition will always identify me as Gamertag2 even I don't put my hand on my face.

Is Kinect face recognition storing the outline of my head only because it accepts my face with or without my hand on my face.

Any suggestion how to trick Kinect face recognition to see one person as two different persons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 449
LOL I have never tried this but will have my kids try and see what happens.

The 5.0 is here
post #3 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Would wearing sunglasses help?

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #4 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu View Post

Haven't tried wearing sunglass but I found Kinect doesn't care if I cover my eyes with my hands. I try wearing sunglasses but somehow I think Kinect may not care.

Has anyone tried wearing a face mask? I don't have one to try it.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Liked: 17
I definitely want to hear more about this.

What about changing your height? And instead of covering your face with your hands, make moose antlers with your hands?

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
post #6 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess you can try taking a front facing pic for one gamertag and for the second gamertag take profile shot and if you have a third gamertag then take a another profile shot but facing the opposite direction.??

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #7 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 547
LOL. this is a funny thread. I don't know how you can trick the Kinect into logging in the same person under multiple accounts. Maybe you shave your head for one, wear a beanie for another, wear a beard for another?

for people having real facial recognition problems:

What Kinect ID really is is a database of images of the person where the system compares the person to the database of images to make the identification. So the more pictures it takes at varying lighting conditions and angles, the more accurate it is. Meaning you need to run the setup multiple times, at different times of day (night time lighting is obviously is different than 8am is different than high noon), different lighting conditions, different angles (Kinect at low height, Kinect at high height).

I've run the Kinect ID program with the Kinect at 6 feet (above the TV) and at 4 feet (below the TV). With all the lights of the family room on, with half the lights of the family room on, with bedroom lights on, etc. At 9AM, noon, 5PM, 8PM.

And the database is self-contained on each individual 360. So if you move the Kinect between your bedroom 360 and your family room 360, you have to build the databases separately on each 360. Obviously, the height of the Kinect in the bedroom will differ from the height in the family room (different size TVs, different entertainment centers, etc).

It's not necessary to do all this (and honestly is a bit excessive) but if you want the most accuracy, you do it. Also, if you wear glasses sometimes but contacts other times, run the Kinect ID with both your glasses on and off. The more images the database has, the more accurate it is. I've even run the KinectID with my wireless headset on and with it off.

However, we don't know the limit so don't go crazy and take a zillion pictures because the newer pictures you take may overwrite the old pictures. Take the pictures that will be most common for that person.

If you've ever used photo recognition software like Picasa or Windows Live Photo Gallery, you know that the more pictures it takes, the more accurate it is at identification.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have tried redo my face recognition for the two Gamertags that I'm currently testing with different time and slightly different lighting but same room. I even wore different shirts.

I did another test just to see why Kinect face recognition keeps picking to login as Gamertag2 that I put my hands to cover my eyes. Gamertag1 is arrangement order is before Gamertag2 because of the alphabets.

If I move Gamertag2 to a memory cards and remove it from my X360, then Kinect will face recognition will login as Gamertag1. But as soon as I put Gamertag2 memory card back to my X360, Kinect face recognition will choose Gamertag2 again to login. Why does the face recognition prefer my face without eyes and with hands (assuming it saw my hands on my face)? No eyes on my face makes a better choice?

To test with wearing sunglasses, I'll guess I need one with big and black lens to make my eyes appear really large. Don't know if how Kinect identifies very large "eyes"/lens.

Microsoft said twins can fool Kinect face recognition to see both as same person but I wonder what happens if one twin is very skinny and other twin is heavy where their face and head shape will be different.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I suspect that the "Facial" recognition is less face and more "genreal body shape".

It isn't looking at your eyes nose eats, hair, etc etc etc.. its probably just creating a wireframe skeleton and making computations based on things like arm/leg length ratios etc.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #10 of 13 Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Surprisingly wearing sunglasses works.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

I suspect that the "Facial" recognition is less face and more "genreal body shape".

It isn't looking at your eyes nose eats, hair, etc etc etc.. its probably just creating a wireframe skeleton and making computations based on things like arm/leg length ratios etc.

My thoughts as well.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-09-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Surprisingly wearing sunglasses works.

Ok good then my theory is correct. Some facial recognition software checks the size and distance between eyes, nose, mouth in relation to the outer parts of the face (chin, jaw line, hair line, etc.)

So, wearing sunglasses should work since it doesn't have the data for the eyes to match with the face.

post #13 of 13 Old 12-09-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok good then my theory is correct. Some facial recognition software checks the size and distance between eyes, nose, mouth in relation to the outer parts of the face (chin, jaw line, hair line, etc.)

So, wearing sunglasses should work since it doesn't have the data for the eyes to match with the face.

Still does Kinect see the sunglasses lens as "eyes"? Sunglasses I wore is like Neo wore in Matrix.

If I wear a different shape and size sunglasses, how accurate can Kinect measure it? All my sunglasses have similar shape and size. If someone wants to experiment, can you try tiny and round to large and square to see what happens.

Update: I tried my reading glasses that has similar frame shape and size as my sunglasses. The lens are clear. Kinect recognize me as the Gamertag not wearing anything on my face.

Update: I found the 3D glasses used in theaters. The glasses frame has very thick and large frame. Since I haven't program that face with 3D glasses into my Gamertag, it can't tell who I am. So, if you want one gamer to have multiple Gamertags recognized as different person, wear different glasses that have very different shape and size.

It would be interesting if you try swapping different glasses with other people that has similar facial like siblings to see if you can fool Kinect face recognition to focus on the glasses than facial.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page