After a couple hours of struggling I was finally able to get them to connect through various combinations of deleting the Advanced Sound Editor, rebooting the laptop, rebooting the headset and unplugging/plugging in the USB cable. I think the download of Advanced Sound Editor I got the first time was corrupt because after I cleaned everything off real good & downloaded a fresh copy it seemed to work fine the first time out.
Now to figure out how to apply these voice packs I downloaded....
'Build a man a fire and he stays warm for one night. Set a man afire and he stays warm for the rest of his life.'