post #61 of 68 Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

If it's just a matter of someone having your login info, can't you just change your login info? That's the kind of thing someone might get if they simply got your hotmail info or something. Anyhow, if they didn't get any cc info, then there's no need to deal with MS customer service. Just change your password and/or associated email address and/or whatever else.

What's most surprising, though, is that no one at customer service could suggest to you such a simple and obvious solution.

The issue is if you want your points back. I lost 60 dollars worth of points. You can eat the loss or have ms investigate and not have access to your gt for 2-4 weeks or however long it takes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM

Liked: 10
deveng, you should ignore darklordjane, she's a recidivist thread-crapper of the highest order. All you did was post your real-life experience of "being hacked". People can take from that what they will, including being more careful with their passwords (which you recommended anyway) -but no, trust dlj to never miss an opportunity to be a condescending jackass..
post #63 of 68 Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I don't know how you think I got my ego bruised when the criticisms in regards to spelling in your original post weren't even in response to my post, but to recap, since you seem to need help in that area, you responded to:
Quote:

Lastpass.com is free and will store all of your passwords. Also, I have a simple system that all of my passwords are similar, but I vary them in different ways depending on the site that I am going to.

With:
Quote:

You are unnecessarily criticizing Deveng. I guess everybody else is perfect, and has never heard the saying "Sh*t happens"? Some of us have real lives ya know, and are not pedantic gits who get off on hyper controlling every minutiae of things. I think for most of the normal people gaming is a hobby, not something for which we keep a detailed project "best parctices" journal on.

Implying that having to remember multiple passwords is akin to keeping a best practices journal.

I'm sorry that you're in such a tizzy that I pointed out your hypocrisy. Whoever said that writing was my occupation and why exactly do you feel the need to get personal when you're losing a lame internet fight?
post #64 of 68 Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Also, back on topic, check out this website: http://www.analoghype.com/video-game...red-the-truth/
post #65 of 68 Old 01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
I've been reading this thread and I'm trying to understand how this account hacking thing works. Someone gains access to your account and steal ms points and spend money on the account. But don't these purchases apply to the account hacked? I know it would still suck to have $100 worth of avatar gear purchased on my account but how do they steal the points? In case anybody reads this wrong, I do believe the hacking stories here, I'm just trying to understand how the damage is caused by these m'fing thieves.
post #66 of 68 Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

I'm just trying to understand how the damage is caused by these m'fing thieves.

Read NoThru22's interesting link right above your post.

"So what are hackers going to do with your hacked account? Most likely purchase games and Microsoft points, change your gamertag and the email associated with then sell it online. For extra kicks they might also purchase a Xbox Family pack to add 3 more gamertags to their arsenal. Hackers are known to do this several times a day. Making several hundred dollars a day off of Microsoft's laziness and your money."

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #67 of 68 Old 01-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
These threads are good to get the word out. I took my Paypal acct off live when I heard about this. I'm strictly going to use point cards if I buy anything else on live.
post #68 of 68 Old 01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Agreed... Both of the threads have forced me to take a second look at my attitude toward password security. I will also be dropping the "Family" account, since my kids rarely get on...and removing my CC info from Xbox LIVE

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page