PC Mode on TV's? For Gaming? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I thought id just post back here again after discovering something to do with the PC Mode. I think your correct Revolution in saying it's far too saturated. Whilst playing a game yesterday, for some reason I decided to flick though Game Mode and PCMode. I tested Game mode with the Color space option Auto and it was far paler than PC Mode, I then tested game mode against PC Mode again, this time with the Color space option set to native. They looked exactly the same in Color once you've calibrated to sRGB.

The problem with this is that Natives option is more incorrect compared to auto. If you don't intend to calibrate custom, then auto is your best bet. I found this out through the guys here on AVS.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM

Liked: 10
Hmmm good find I'll have to try that out. I have my color space set to custom using calibrated settings outside of pc mode.
post #33 of 42 Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 PM

Colors look best on my TV with 720p/1080p, ref levels set to Standard.

With PC mode, the colors look quite washed out, and ref levels have to be set to Expanded, to get accurate greys and blacks.

I'm talking about gaming on the X360 console.
post #34 of 42 Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 PM

Just to clarify, on my Samsung PS51E6500, the HDMI Black Level setting Normal, is for 0-255 content and low for 16-235.

post #35 of 42 Old 02-08-2013, 03:38 AM

I have one more question:

At 1080p or 720p, anything higher than "Standard" yields very dark greys and black, and slightly overexposed whites, so I end up using quite a bit of detail in dark or low contrast scenes.

What am I missing out on by not choosing the "Expanded" setting?

Note: The only time I do need Expanded, is when I set it to 1366 x 768. Either way, I don't notice anything different with the way colors are displayed.

My Color Space is set to "Auto".
post #36 of 42 Old 02-08-2013, 03:39 AM

Correction/edit:

I have one more question:

At 1080p or 720p, anything higher than "Standard" yields very dark greys and black, and slightly overexposed whites, so I end up *losing* quite a bit of detail in dark or low contrast scenes.

What am I missing out on by not choosing the "Expanded" setting?

Note: The only time I do need Expanded, is when I set it to 1366 x 768. Either way, I don't notice anything different with the way colors are displayed.

My Color Space is set to "Auto".
post #37 of 42 Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM

When set to expanded it looks darker because your TV is set up to accept limited RGB. If you set your TV to accept full RGB the black levels will match and it will look fine. If they're isn't a setting on your TV to accept full RGB just leave it on standard. When you set the resolution to 1366 x 768, your TV most likely changes to accept a Full RGB signal. Thats why expanded works for you at that resolution.
post #38 of 42 Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM

I've noticed yesterday with some patterns from the Lagom website using the sharpness pattern, that setting the Gamma was more accurate in PC Mode than Game Mode. Could this be to do with the YCBCR processing resulting in a non PC signal?

I'm going to try this pattern tonight in other presets to see if any other ones get a very close gamma result like the PC Mode.

post #39 of 42 Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM

^^ Hmm, right.

But I see absolutely no difference in how colors, or blacks/greys for that matter, are displayed.

1080p looks fantastic, that's the one I use for games and movies @ "Standard".
post #40 of 42 Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM

^^ Great info you guys.

Personally, I just go with what looks best to my eyes. and it looks like 1080p is a win/win for me. It's simply far more eye-pleasing than 1366 X 768; everything just looks so sharp and vivid at full HD, even the colors look life like.

I'm also assuming some TV's display games better in PC mode. I know mine doesn't (Great greys and blacks but washed out colors, have to turn up the color saturation to at least 65/100).
post #41 of 42 Old 06-23-2013, 05:25 AM

Liked: 19
Apologize for reviving a semi-dead thread, but I have both an LG and a Samsung 1080p TV. In terms of gaming, PC mode/input label will yield best results for gaming (HDMi specific) and general PC use.

However, why i state I have both brands (and both are commonly known to provide this PC mode) is that I recommend choosing an LG for PC/gaming use.

LG's PC mode not only allows you to control color, horizontal/vertical sharpness (Samsung doesn't provide both axis), and 20-point IRE, but also provides the same if not less input delay compared to a Samsung with those features sacrificed for reducing input delay. The Samsung I have can be cut down to 16ms of input lag, while the LG I have is in the range of 3-8ms. All while retaining the necessary image controls for perfect calibration.

No, I am NOT being paid by LG to say this. Just out of my personal experiences, I notice how alot of Sammy owners complain about having to refrain from using PC mode for things like 10-point IRE and sharpness/color.
post #42 of 42 Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 PM

Yeah I really wish my Samsung Plasma would let me adjust everything in PC mode. I just chose not to use it because of lack of calibration. The colors are just way too intense. I have it calibrated out of PC mode and it looks great. I don't have any lag issues or not enough that makes me aware of it's presence.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page