Kindoms of Amular: Reckoning - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 349 Old 04-22-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Been playing the DLC for a while. Great story line, and lots to do. Well worth the 800ms points!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 349 Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

Been playing the DLC for a while. Great story line, and lots to do. Well worth the 800ms points!

I've got plenty to do in the main quest, but I've been thinking of trying a DLC as a diversion.

Which of the add-ons is recommend for a soldier? Also, how does the DLC work - does it load separately from the main game, or does it unlock an added section of the map?

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #333 of 349 Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I've got plenty to do in the main quest, but I've been thinking of trying a DLC as a diversion.

Which of the add-ons is recommend for a soldier? Also, how does the DLC work - does it load separately from the main game, or does it unlock an added section of the map?

Each DLC unlocks an added section of the map. If you have to choose one, I would probably choose the Legend of Dead Kel, as you get a really cool keep out of it. If you don't care about the keep, there is a backpack in the teeth of narrows though. Both have great story lines, and good loot that will be near your level, (I have seen tons of might and sorcery gear in both expansions...unfortunately not so much finess ).

Once you buy the DLC, you restart the game disk. You will find a new quest under main quests, which will start you down the path to the new content.

Dustin
post #334 of 349 Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

If you have to choose one, I would probably choose the Legend of Dead Kel, as you get a really cool keep out of it. If you don't care about the keep, there is a backpack in the teeth of narrows though.

ohhh... a backpack sounds worth the price alone! I need to expand my available inventory; I'm making too many trips back to sell the unneeded l00t. I should probably just buy both expansions.

Thanks Dustin!

post #335 of 349 Old 04-25-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I grabbed both expansions, and happened to be right near the start of The Legend of Dead Kel, so I decided to start that one.

Loving it so far - it's nice to have a condensed, focused version of the expansive game. Although I didn't know I wouldn't be able to fast travel back to the mainland once I started the DLC. No worries though, I'm finding some great stuff and already jumped a level after a short time.

I just took the throne of the Keep, but I'm not sure what I do with it. I believe there is a rebuilding process (I need 2 more items), but where do I go from there? Is it like a home? Will I be able to fast travel from this place or something?

I have over 50 points in Might, and my soldier is a bad@ss! I just added a bunch of points to "Relentless Assault", which, when activated, gives a temporary resistance to interruption. Combine this with "Battle Frenzy", which automatically boosts damage with each kill, and my character slashes through groups of enemies with ease! And the cooldown time for Relentless Assault is pretty quick, too.

post #336 of 349 Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I grabbed both expansions, and happened to be right near the start of The Legend of Dead Kel, so I decided to start that one.

Loving it so far - it's nice to have a condensed, focused version of the expansive game. Although I didn't know I wouldn't be able to fast travel back to the mainland once I started the DLC. No worries though, I'm finding some great stuff and already jumped a level after a short time.

I just took the throne of the Keep, but I'm not sure what I do with it. I believe there is a rebuilding process (I need 2 more items), but where do I go from there? Is it like a home? Will I be able to fast travel from this place or something?

I have over 50 points in Might, and my soldier is a bad@ss! I just added a bunch of points to "Relentless Assault", which, when activated, gives a temporary resistance to interruption. Combine this with "Battle Frenzy", which automatically boosts damage with each kill, and my character slashes through groups of enemies with ease! And the cooldown time for Relentless Assault is pretty quick, too.

When you finish Dead Kel you can leave the island. As for the keep, you upgrade it multiple times, adding wings onto it. As you upgrade it, you invite people to come live in your keep, such as shop keepers, trainers, etc. My only gripe with the keep is I cannot fast travel to it with ease, as I really love that thing, (you will always have to sail to the island and back from Rathir).

As for the warrior, I have yet to play that specialization. My second play through is a pure mage....I have the difficulty at hard, and while he can take down things with ease, when he gets hit it HURTS, (unlike my end game assassin who noone can own at all). The mage is definately what I would call an easy mode though...the assassin grew into his power nearer to 40, the mage starts with it early and keeps ramping it up.
post #337 of 349 Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Yeah, Relentless Assault is pretty indispensable to a Fighter. I also like Summon Fae Gorta upgraded to siphon health. At the max level, it gives you health with each successful attack by the Fae Gorta. With this, you almost never have to touch a health potion! It's nice that they let you respec at any time and play around with different abilities.

I finished the main Dead Kel quest but haven't completely upgraded the keep. It got a bit tedious after a while, but I might come back to it. I'm trying to focus on finishing the main quest right now. I probably will pick up the new DLC at some point because I love having new unique weapons and armor to equip

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #338 of 349 Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

I also like Summon Fae Gorta upgraded to siphon health. At the max level, it gives you health with each successful attack by the Fae Gorta. With this, you almost never have to touch a health potion! It's nice that they let you respec at any time and play around with different abilities.

Oh, nice - thanks for that tip! Summon Faer Gorta starts at level 20 Sorcery, so I'll definitely have to respec and throw more points there. I might loose Might's Quake ground assault, because I'm not using that much.

Is there a long cool-down time with the Summon spell?

post #339 of 349 Old 04-26-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, nice - thanks for that tip! Summon Faer Gorta starts at level 20 Sorcery, so I'll definitely have to respec and throw more points there. I might loose Might's Quake ground assault, because I'm not using that much.

Is there a long cool-down time with the Summon spell?

I don't think the cooldown is too bad. You definitely need to invest some points in the ability to give your summoned Fae more health. Once you do this, he seems to last pretty long.

The only annoying thing is there is a bug where you can actually attack the summoned Fae unintentionally with Relentless Assault active and he turns hostile. Of course he can't damage you but it takes away his focus from other enemies. It's slightly annoying and hopefully they will patch this soon.

Yeah, I had quake for a while but I found it didn't do enough damage. It is decent at stunning people which can boost the damage done to them if you invested in that passive ability.

post #340 of 349 Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked: 11
I highly suggest you check out the meteor strike spell. Maxed out that takes out most everything in one shot. Let the Faer Gorta clean up the stragglers.
post #341 of 349 Old 05-16-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It looks like 38 Studios is close to bankruptcy. This game only sold about 400k boxed units plus unreported number of downloadeds across all platforms. Sounds like a big number but its was not enough to save 38 Studios.
A shame because I really liked it myself. Curt Schilling may have lost his baseball fortune in this venture.

Argee
post #342 of 349 Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

A shame, because he hit a home run with this one IMO.

post #343 of 349 Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Bummer - it looks like the studio is dead.

post #344 of 349 Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

It take a special kind of poor business leadership to have to sell 3 million copies of a new ip just to break even. I can't believe that an expierenced developer like Big Huge Games didn't know better.
post #345 of 349 Old 05-25-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is sad. I sank close to 100 hours into Amalur and was really looking forward to a sequel.

post #346 of 349 Old 05-25-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

It take a special kind of poor business leadership to have to sell 3 million copies of a new ip just to break even. I can't believe that an expierenced developer like Big Huge Games didn't know better.

To many high profile people working on it, I thik they thought if they brought in some big guns it will make people want to buy it. After they got paid, that probably set them back to much. They thought these big names were going to draw people in and it just shows that the name doesn't make the game, they still have to develop a good game and they had to many issues, problems. Heck my brother can't even play his anymore because the A button will no longer open anything up. It works once and then stops. Numerous reports of people not being able to run anymore, etc. because of the A button. Reportedly it was going to be looked at in a patch but I don't think a patch will ever be released if the entire staff was let go. A shame, game had serious potential.

post #347 of 349 Old 05-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 832
Problem is BHG was KOA. And it appears to me BHG was bought in an attempt to produce a revenue stream for 38 studios. When it couldn't sell 3 million, 38, and thus BHG went under.

It's a good lesson, when buying a business you're also buying their debt. 38 took a shot in the dark to improve their balance sheets and it ended up being a even bigger liability, bringing another studio down with it.

Kinda sad. I no nothing of BHG's finances, but there's a distinct possibility they would have remained solvent at 1.2 million in sales if they remained independent.
post #348 of 349 Old 05-25-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I no nothing of BHG's finances, but there's a distinct possibility they would have remained solvent at 1.2 million in sales if they remained independent.

AFAIK Big Huge Games had problems getting initial funding, which is what 38 Studios provided (via RI taxpayers). The problem is that their ultimate goal was to make an MMO--notoriously expensive and risky undertakings.

KoA: Reckoning did just fine, but its assets and creative/design work were tied to their larger MMO project. That MMO work had already sucked up so much money that they needed to sell an unreasonably large number of copies of Reckoning (3m) just to fund the work they'd already done on the Amalur IP (MMO + Reckoning). The problem wasn't the expense of Reckoning; it was the expense of the entire Amalur IP.

The folks who made Torchlight initially tried to do the same thing. They were going to use the sales and assets from Torchlight to make an MMO. Luckily, they thought better of the idea mid-production and just decided to do a straight-up sequel that uses some minor MMO-like elements.

EDIT: And the news goes from bad to worse. Not only were employees lied to, not paid, and ultimately fired, but now it's looking as though some were screwed over in a relocation deal:

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...some-employees
Quote:

Some of the hundreds of 38 Studios employees laid off yesterday were hit with a second round of bad news this week when they were told that homes they thought the company had sold for them hadn't been, and that they may be stuck with a second mortgage, Polygon has learned.

Several sources directly impacted by the mortgage issue confirmed the news today and a 38 Studios official, who asked to not be named, said the company is working to try and get to the bottom of the notifications and find a resolution.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #349 of 349 Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Just picked this up for $18 from Gamefly's Labor Day sale.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page