Kindoms of Amular: Reckoning - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 634
I can say I have no idea what the talk about the camera is about. In my play-through, the only camera problem I saw was being behind an object during a conversation, which is more of a glitch than a control issue.

The camera seems fine to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Wow. Honestly hadn't heard much about this game until I happened to hear about it on the IGN Podcast. Now I'm reading all this, and all I can really say is how in the hell do people have time for something like this? Skyrim just launched, and I will be spending countless hours in that world in addition to juggling my FPS itch on my 360.

I could really use a large bag of money to find its way to my doorstep so I can stop working and play video games all day long.

Heh, if I am not done with Skyrim by Feb 7th, then it is going to be shelved for a very long time. The problem is, I cannot stop playing the demo of this! Once you do one playthrough and hit the timer, the game lets you skip the tutorial....What a lush world! The lore is deep, the creatures interactions when sneaking up on a group of them are fun, and there are a wide variety of quests as well.

One thing I did notice...you MUST put a few of your first points into the detect hidden skill! I found loot all over the place that bandits and boggarts hid in stumps/etc. So far, I have played a rogue and warrior role...time to hit the mage tonight!

Dustin
post #63 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I can say I have no idea what the talk about the camera is about. In my play-through, the only camera problem I saw was being behind an object during a conversation, which is more of a glitch than a control issue.

The camera seems fine to me.

I think it is due to the style of game people are used to playing. Lately, there have been A LOT of first person and over the shoulder 3rd person games. If you MMO at all, or diablo/neverwinter/etc even, you will be used to the camera. I, myself, like the panned out view and adjust-ability it provides. The only option I wish it had was the ability to lock it in place, but that may be in the full release.

Dustin
post #64 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

I think it is due to the style of game people are used to playing. Lately, there have been A LOT of first person and over the shoulder 3rd person games. If you MMO at all, or diablo/neverwinter/etc even, you will be used to the camera. I, myself, like the panned out view and adjust-ability it provides. The only option I wish it had was the ability to lock it in place, but that may be in the full release.

Dustin

Ehh...I dunno. A lot of 3rd person games have free floating cameras, such as assassins creed, that feel just fine. This one just didn't feel right. It seemed to take back control too quickly. The way the character moved just felt weird to me too, really floaty and goofy, not tight like god of war. Its kind of hard to describe, but the "feel" of a game is important, and not all are different but equal. I guess you'd get used to it but it made a really bad first impression.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #65 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The way the character moved just felt weird to me too, really floaty and goofy, not tight like god of war.

I think you nailed it.

Coming off of playing God of War III, I stumbled in Reckoning for a couple seconds -- until I started controlling the camera myself with the right thumbstick. I'm so used to doing this with a game like Tomb Raider (and Assassin's Creed, I think?), I don't even notice anymore. However, God of War doesn't use the right thumbstick that way, so if someone isn't constantly controlling the camera themselves, maybe it feels wrong in this game? I never noticed beyond the first couple steps.

Anyway, the devs are listening about camera control, and you can tell them directly if you want.
post #66 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I think you nailed it.

Coming off of playing God of War III, I stumbled in Reckoning for a couple seconds -- until I started controlling the camera myself with the right thumbstick. I'm so used to doing this with a game like Tomb Raider (and Assassin's Creed, I think?), I don't even notice anymore. However, God of War doesn't use the right thumbstick that way, so if someone isn't constantly controlling the camera themselves, maybe it feels wrong in this game? I never noticed beyond the first couple steps.

Anyway, the devs are listening about camera control, and you can tell them directly if you want.

Again this shows what "appeals' to different gamers as you think he nailed it with the "floaty" camera description. I don't feel floaty at all, while Skyrim feels exactly that way. I think YOU nailed it with the controlling the camera with the right stick. I did not even realize that is what I must be doing (only played once on the first day). Doing so is very natural to me and was probably executing as such based on 'muscle memory' for lack of better description. Having played MANY games on the PS3 where that control is required, I must have just fell right into it. But again, no matter how much I am used to it, it may be extremely off-putting to others and hence, ruin the game experience instantly. I have certainly played my share of games where the camera has killed it for me and stopped playing and never went back.

Gamertag: Sage Treebeard

PSN: TiberDrum
post #67 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyvven View Post

I actually think it "feels" good. I don't have the "floating/skimming the ground" feel while moving as is seen in Skyrim and some other games.

Huh?????? If you put Skyrim it into third person you control the distance/height of the camera and then lock it into place. There is no way you are "floating/skiming the ground" in Skyrm. You control where you want it and lock it into place permenantly. Other then that it is a first person game so there are no camera issues in first person mode. Completely confused by your comment.

post #68 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Huh?????? If you put Skyrim it into third person you control the distance/height of the camera and then lock it into place. There is no way you are "floating/skiming the ground" in Skyrm. You control where you want it and lock it into place permenantly. Other then that it is a first person game so there are no camera issues in first person mode. Completely confused by your comment.

I am strictly referring to the "feeling" I get when looking at the screen while moving, in Skyrim. In first person it just feels like the environment is 'skimming by/floating' under my video game feet. Poor sense of actually traversing the ground - "feeling-wise". Pretty much forget third person as the movement of the character model totally dissolves any connection to the 'world" in the game. But that same sliding feeling is there also.

post #69 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
I actually thought that was much improved in skyrim, over oblivion at least. You get a little of a head bob in skyrim...in oblivion, you literally just coasted.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #70 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i dont like the camera either... it would almost be ok if it would stay put, but the issue i have is with how low it is, kind of looking up... kind of ruins the point of view while forcing you to look at some of the very nice surroundings.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #71 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I actually thought that was much improved in skyrim, over oblivion at least. You get a little of a head bob in skyrim...in oblivion, you literally just coasted.

I do concur on that....Skyrim has improved it. Just not enough for my personal taste.

post #72 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had fun with the demo but I don't know if it is a Day 1 purchase for me considering I'm still immersed in Skyrim and with ME3 coming out in March.

The positives for me were the fast, fluid combat and the loot. It looks like there is a good variety of weapons and armor with a fairly sophisticated crafting system. I found a few pieces with sockets for gems but I couldn't figure out how to utilize them in the demo.

I'll be eagerly waiting to see how the reviews look for the final product.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #73 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you are interested in Amular Lore, they just updated the Amalur.com with a lot of new lore/info.

http://amalur.com/

Dustin
post #74 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

If you are interested in Amular Lore, they just updated the Amular.com with a lot of new lore/info.

http://amalur.com/

Dustin

for someone so stoked about this game, you're pretty unaware of the spelling of the title... Amalur, not Amular.

lol

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #75 of 349 Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I didn't think the graphics were as good as fable but they were fine. Voice acting was fine. I don't remember the music (like I do with fable and skyrim) so it was neither annoying or inspiring. I did notice that it was nearly silent a few times in the dungeon which seemed odd, almost like the sound glitches...could just be demo.

Fighting was fine, that was like fable. I didn't have an issue with the camera it seemed typical for this type of game. Kind of reminded me of that Viking game I played a while back. Meaning it would be fun and stuff but nothing triple A.

I will probably pick it up but certainly not before ME3 or maybe even Darkness.
post #76 of 349 Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

for someone so stoked about this game, you're pretty unaware of the spelling of the title... Amalur, not Amular.

lol

You know...I don't know why...but I keep freaking doing that. For some reason, I always transpose those two vowels! Funny thing is I say it correctly, know it is spelled Amalur...but damnit I can't seem to train my fingers to spell it right!
post #77 of 349 Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

I didn't think the graphics were as good as fable but they were fine. Voice acting was fine. I don't remember the music (like I do with fable and skyrim) so it was neither annoying or inspiring. I did notice that it was nearly silent a few times in the dungeon which seemed odd, almost like the sound glitches...could just be demo.

Fighting was fine, that was like fable. I didn't have an issue with the camera it seemed typical for this type of game. Kind of reminded me of that Viking game I played a while back. Meaning it would be fun and stuff but nothing triple A.

I will probably pick it up but certainly not before ME3 or maybe even Darkness.

Yes, the sound glitches are fixed in the release version. The demo was broken off by a 3rd party 3 months before it went gold, and they were not able to get all the changes and polish in before they demo was locked in place. BHG is not happy with how unpolished it is, but take full responsibility, (the 3rd party being EA had control due to distributing contracts). They have a bug list on their site and to date all glitches reported have been fixed in the gold version.
post #78 of 349 Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:

ugh... had high hopes for this, but I dont like the fable feel to the world.... dunno if it's the lighting engine or what.

Same here. DL the demo last night to see what the fuss was about and i dont see it. The graphics are muddy and look a few years old, camera is a little wonky, and feels like a WoW/Fable hybrid.
post #79 of 349 Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM

I thought the demo was pretty good, it seems like there is a lot of exploring and loot which I like. I agree with some of you that the graphics are a bit of a disappointment. I also would have liked to have seen some kind of co op to this game.

And I agree with vpn75, with skyrim and mass effect coming out I just don't have time for another huge game right now. However might pick this up somewhere down the road.

XBL Digital gh0st
PSN. Troy_Digital
post #80 of 349 Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ability calculator for anyone wanting to plan out their characters, or play with builds...

http://www.38watch.com/calculator/

Dustin
post #81 of 349 Old 01-25-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #82 of 349 Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

As seen in the DEALS thread: Toys 'R Us has the pre-order of Reckoning for $45 + tax w/ free shipping.
post #83 of 349 Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post

Same here. DL the demo last night to see what the fuss was about and i dont see it. The graphics are muddy and look a few years old, camera is a little wonky, and feels like a WoW/Fable hybrid.

i posted that comment before the demo... pretty impressed with the demo though, i'm not in love with it, but it looks like its definitely worth a play through.

post #84 of 349 Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm going to pre-order from GameStop. The compass may end up being useless but it's worth a shot. Meanwhile I see NO extras at TRU...

LIVE: mikepaul
post #85 of 349 Old 01-26-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Gabe at Penny-Arcade just tweeted: "I've been playing the full version of Kingdoms of Amalur for three days now and I think it is better than Skyrim. It's so awesome."
post #86 of 349 Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I tried the demo of both Kingdom of Amalur and Final Fantasy XIII-2. Imagine my surprise when I liked FFXIII-2 more.

KoA wasn't bad, though. It seems like it is trying to be a Fable with a real combat system and stealth mode and character builds with lots of loot (like a Diablo) and a WoW-ish aesthetic. It's like they took all sorts of games and rolled them into one. The end result is a game with a lot to like, but seems a bit bland.

I'll probably get it. After I am done with FFXIII-2.
post #87 of 349 Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope FFXIII-2 is better than FFXIII.... I couldn't play more than about 8 minutes of that game... terrible.

post #88 of 349 Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope FFXIII-2 is better than FFXIII.... I couldn't play more than about 8 minutes of that game... terrible.

I think I got about 8 to 10 hours into FFXIII. I really wanted to like it, but I need at least a little bit of exploring in this type of game.

FFXIII had the most narrow path ever in a RPG - it was just cut-scenes (not great) and combat (ok, getting better), so I gave up.
post #89 of 349 Old 01-26-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Well, I am pleased to say that FFXIII-2 is not like that. It has open areas with exploration, side quests, NPCs, shops, etc. If you liked XIII's combat give the demo a try.
post #90 of 349 Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The last Hero's Guide to Amalur Video is up : http://www.gametrailers.com/video/a-...doms-of/726134
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page