Another Acct Hijack - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 82 Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Checked my bank account this morning and Xbox has refunded the money that was stolen from my account. Kudos to them for working so fast. Unfortunately, at the time my acct was hacked I had a balance of 2130 microsoft points. I was able to stop the idiot that was in my account from spending everything they had purchased and was left with a balance of 3250 points. As of Friday night, my balance was set to 0. I'm sure this will be easy enough to fix but it seems they could have figured this out themselves by the purchase history and not made the error. Overall, I'm really pleased with the way they handled this. It took 4 days from the time the complaint was filed to have the money back in my account and 2 of those were the weekend. Neither I nor my kids ever lost any access to our Live accts. I will make a call today to get the MS point thing straightened out and if that is rectfied today, this would be about the easiest resolution involving multiple parties and money that I have ever experienced.

XBL: bigorangeking

Elite Club of Awesomeness Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Add me to the list of hacked accounts. I have a Zune too and noticed I was about 3000+ pts short today. Logged in to the XBOX site to see someone bought a game last night on my dime. Started the complaint process and changed my password but this really sucks.
post #33 of 82 Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 123
Waiting for darklordjames to come in here and chastize eveyone.
post #34 of 82 Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
changed my password after being hacked. A week ago got an email notificaiton from xbox that someone tried to buy a year long membership on my long-expired credit card on Xbox Live, which means even my new password is compromised......or it was brute-forced back and just not used until recently...maybe someone got desperate.

I'll call microsoft but I consider the service to be fully public domain at this point. I'm sitting no some points cards that I will add, use immediately and then not leave any kind of balance whatsoever.

Total B.S.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #35 of 82 Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
I contacted Live about the missing MS points and was told I should have a resolution by the end of the week. It's kind of funny that they can refund my "real" money in 2 days but have a harder time with their own currency. Especially since it is in my purchase history what the balance was before the intrusion and what the purchases were and what the end balance was. Seems like it would be pretty simple but maybe they have a pretty large back-log of investigations.

XBL: bigorangeking

Elite Club of Awesomeness Member

post #36 of 82 Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
HeadRusch, if they had logged into an Xbox with your old password, they can still do it even after you change your password. You need deauthorize the old Xbox from https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Profile/Protection
post #37 of 82 Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I had no idea....thanks man, I'll take care of this tonight.

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #38 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 10
I got hit on last weds. They were all fifa downloads as confirmed by xbox chat support. 1640 points taken. They said they may suspend my account for up to 28 days to investigate but they said on average about 7 days. and they said that I would get a code for xbox live credit for the time it was down so hopefully thats true. I need it fixed so I can get back to MW3!!
post #39 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It really does make you wonder if the system is really completely wide open at this point....Mircrosoft was supposed to have closed that door, but it seems more people than ever are getting FIFA'ed....

post #40 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It'd be nice if we knew how this keeps happening. Is it email/password re-use? Brute force? Social engineering of MS or EA support?

Maybe they should just shut-down FIFA. I don't play that game so it sounds good to me.
post #41 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Microsoft is getting a huge black eye because of EA.

Now we get to debate: Should they "pull a Sony" and shut down LIVE until they figure this out, or do they just keep on doing what they are doing..which right NOW appears to be nothing

post #42 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Shutting down LIVE is not going to do anything when the leak is from EA.

EA needs to shut their service down until they implement some real security. There really isn't much Microsoft can do other than complain to EA...
post #43 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Microsoft is getting a huge black eye because of EA.

Now we get to debate: Should they "pull a Sony" and shut down LIVE until they figure this out, or do they just keep on doing what they are doing..which right NOW appears to be nothing

It isn't live that is the issue. It is pointless to shut Live down when it is the email accounts associated with the gamertag. They don't have to get on Xbox Live to get the points. Just because we are not receiving some daily report about what MS or whoever is responsible doesn't mean they are not doing anything. The problem isn't as widespread as some of u make it out to be.

The 5.0 is here
post #44 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I know people are saying that the leak is from EA, but you have to think Microsoft is also somewhat to blame, if not entirely. If this was all EA, wouldn't PSN users be having the same issue?

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #45 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

EA is not responsible for login breaching of Xbox Live, EA has simply made an ability for hackers to profit and launder money so-to-speak by hacking accounts, buying cards, selling those cards and then transferring them to accounts that buy them.

post #46 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

I know people are saying that the leak is from EA, but you have to think Microsoft is also somewhat to blame, if not entirely. If this was all EA, wouldn't PSN users be having the same issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

EA is not responsible for login breaching of Xbox Live, EA has simply made an ability for hackers to profit and launder money so-to-speak by hacking accounts, buying cards, selling those cards and then transferring them to accounts that buy them.

This makes me wonder if Microsoft's decision to cut Microsoft Points is related to this issue.
post #47 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Microsoft can help the situation, by having another level or two of safeguards. The problem from MS's end, is that once someone has control of the account, all access to everything is easy. If they give people an option to have a PIN or 3-4 digit CC verification number etc, to be used before every purchase, it might be enough to stop the Fifa spending, even though purchacing things might not be seamless.

The second problem (which is the root problem), is introducing in game currency that is easily correlated with real world currency. Fifa coins are accumulated by gambling MS points for in game cards. These cards can then be 'sold' transfered, etc from gamertag to gamertag easily. EA has to be held accountable when they created this system.

I rememeber back in the day playinmg diablo 2, and the increadible amount of hacking and dupes that were around. Blizzard knew which items were fake and which were real because every single item generated in the game had a unique serial number. They then were able to delete fake items and ban accounts easily as they knew who obtained the item and followed the trail there. EA can easily do the same thing. They could follow the trial of cards from purchase to transferred account, and 'confiscate' such items and ban the accounts as they were using 'stolen' goods. Of course this would mean they have to hire more manpower and do this, but they have to especially if they are profiting from this specific aspect of the game.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
post #48 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
gawd, there's so many reasons to hate EA.
  • control over football.
  • running their own servers and closing them down really early to get people to buy the newer versions of the game.
  • not allowing system link in their games because they feel it promotes piracy
  • having online passes that prevent full functionality for used titles (e.g., online play)
  • FIFA hack
  • too many to list!!!!

EA is the most evil of evil empires. Makes Activision look like saints.
post #49 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I was a victim few months ago. I didn't even have FIFA12 yet and my account was hijacked, and had FIFA12 Ultimate Team (UT) achievements!! I found out that 10k points were charged to my card, all purged and whatever MS points I had before the hijack was gone as well. There is an obvious hijack issue with XBL related to EA's FIFA game and no one does anything about it. I couldn't get onto LIVE for almost 30 days but I put a complaint on the card on file. I received 2x 30 days for LIVE Gold from MS and no explanation as to what happened. When I was on the call with MS support we dug into all linked accounts and my live.com profile had inclusions in it to regain access. I removed my card on file and put a block on all purchases as well, also changed all my passwords.

With this experience on XBL and PSN being compromised, I will never link a credit card to game consoles ever again unless absolutely required (like STEAM). It's buying cards at stores from now on!!

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
anti-GT5:P-er ;)
eurokult.com
post #50 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

gawd, there's so many reasons to hate EA.
  • control over football.
  • running their own servers and closing them down really early to get people to buy the newer versions of the game.
  • not allowing system link in their games because they feel it promotes piracy
  • having online passes that prevent full functionality for used titles (e.g., online play)
  • FIFA hack
  • too many to list!!!!

EA is the most evil of evil empires. Makes Activision look like saints.

You forgot to add exclusivity of Porsche for racers and their control of soccer licensing as well, which I'm sure PES/Winning Eleven sales have suffered because of it. Also, as addicted as I am to FIFA's Ultimate Team, the way EA designed it is such an obvious greedy cash grab which has made me play it less and less. F EA... until I buy one of their games again of course

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
eurokult.com
post #51 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

There is very easy way to secure your account, and it requires no other involvement.

Change your password to something very secure, preferably longer than 8 characters and include a mix of alpha-numeric and special characters. And don't use that password in any other accounts you have.

If you do that, the chance of somebody breaking into your account becomes virtually nil.
post #52 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

It isn't live that is the issue. It is pointless to shut Live down when it is the email accounts associated with the gamertag. They don't have to get on Xbox Live to get the points. Just because we are not receiving some daily report about what MS or whoever is responsible doesn't mean they are not doing anything. The problem isn't as widespread as some of u make it out to be.

Then it is pretty amazing that many people just on this site have had their accounts all of a sudden?? I'm on another site, and a few others have also fallen victim. Have you read the recent articles on how this has become an issue? MS even has changed recently after the 20 times I have called to check on my account. They have cut down the time to about week or less, since they have had so many account hijacks. I finally found out that my investigation was hanging in limbo for over 2 months, and it took my last call a week ago to get this figured out. I should finally have my account back before the end of the week.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #53 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

There is very easy way to secure your account, and it requires no other involvement.

Change your password to something very secure, preferably longer than 8 characters and include a mix of alpha-numeric and special characters. And don't use that password in any other accounts you have.

If you do that, the chance of somebody breaking into your account becomes virtually nil.

Somehow it still happens. I know someone on another site that did what you described and also fell victim.

I hate fanboys..
eurokult.com
post #54 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

This makes me wonder if Microsoft's decision to cut Microsoft Points is related to this issue.

That might be the excuse they'll use, but if MS gets rid of points, it's only due to them wanting complete control over pricing. Gawd forbid anyone ever gets a deal. Me, I'd MUCH rather have my few thousand points stolen than my CC info.
post #55 of 82 Old 02-01-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuco33 View Post

Somehow it still happens. I know someone on another site that did what you described and also fell victim.

If you follow EVERY step above, your account getting hacked is virtually impossible. If that account was hacked, that account was not doing all of the above.
post #56 of 82 Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I wasn't hit by the Fifa hackers, my hacker bought Alice: Madness.

Here's a story on the FIFA stuff.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/02/ea...ultimate-team/
post #57 of 82 Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Right, there is trickery with family accounts, buying points, and migrating accounts that have nothing to do with the FIFA hack but is similarly executed.
post #58 of 82 Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Right, there is trickery with family accounts, buying points, and migrating accounts that have nothing to do with the FIFA hack but is similarly executed.

Ok, I understand you don't want to post details here especially if not "fixed" yet but can you post how AVSers who have the family account can protect themselves if it's not just a matter of a strong password?

XBL : lowgn
post #59 of 82 Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not the family account that makes you vunerable, it's just a different way for them to make money off of hacking your account. It is assumed to work the same way, ie someone brute forces their way into your account, but instead of buying and selling the FIFA players/coins, they create a family account with multiple user names. Then they buy points for each account and sell each one on shady versions of ebay. The purchasers then use these accounts to buy DLC, etc., which ties it to their Xbox, and then they don't ever use that account again. On one site that I saw hacked accounts being sold, they were selling accounts with 10,000 msp for $20 or $30 and only promising that they would be guaranteed for two hours after the sale.
post #60 of 82 Old 02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

If you follow EVERY step above, your account getting hacked is virtually impossible. If that account was hacked, that account was not doing all of the above.

It's not impossible if it happened, and followed what you mentioned.

I hate fanboys..
eurokult.com
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page