No Surround Sound From Xbox 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Sorry if this has already been posted but I did a search and a few are close, but not quite the same setup. I recently decided to set my surround sound back up. I bought a set of Klipsch Quintet speakers (which I love) to hook up to my Onkyo HT-R340 receiver. Not the most extravagant system, but its fine for me.

My current connection setup is I have my Xbox connected to my TV (LG 55LW5600) through HDMI. I then have an optical cable connecting my TV to my receiver. I realize that with some TVs, the audio is compressed to 2 channels when passed through. This is not the case. I have been able to get 5.1 from my PS3 with the same setup. I have set the Xbox to output 5.1 in the menu. I tested known 5.1 sources with the Xbox and just can't seem to get anything other than 2.1. Is it possible to get 5.1 from the Xbox with this setup?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenparade View Post

Hello all,

Sorry if this has already been posted but I did a search and a few are close, but not quite the same setup. I recently decided to set my surround sound back up. I bought a set of Klipsch Quintet speakers (which I love) to hook up to my Onkyo HT-R340 receiver. Not the most extravagant system, but its fine for me.

My current connection setup is I have my Xbox connected to my TV (LG 55LW5600) through HDMI. I then have an optical cable connecting my TV to my receiver. I realize that with some TVs, the audio is compressed to 2 channels when passed through. This is not the case. I have been able to get 5.1 from my PS3 with the same setup. I have set the Xbox to output 5.1 in the menu. I tested known 5.1 sources with the Xbox and just can't seem to get anything other than 2.1. Is it possible to get 5.1 from the Xbox with this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Why not just run an optical cable to your receiver and an hdmi to your display?

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox...6834602&sr=8-3

Also, the manual for your display says it will not pass audio with ACP (Audio Copy Protection). Maybe that is causing the issue.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Don't most AV people have their receiver as the center of their entertainment system where the TV is just one more output device along with the gaming console, BluRay player, etc?
post #4 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Don't most AV people have their receiver as the center of their entertainment system where the TV is just one more output device along with the gaming console, BluRay player, etc?

Is this a question for me or the OP?

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Is this a question for me or the OP?

LOL

it was just a question in general, not directed toward anyone.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM

Liked: 10
My tv does the same thing. I can get it to pass Dolby Digital through the TV with my Ps3 but not my 360 or cable box. DTS won't work at all through the tv. I just run an optical cable straight to my receiver but it would be convenient if it would pass through the tv.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution View Post

My tv does the same thing. I can get it to pass Dolby Digital through the TV with my Ps3 but not my 360 or cable box. DTS won't work at all through the tv. I just run an optical cable straight to my receiver but it would be convenient if it would pass through the tv.

It seems to me that you have the function of your AVR and TV backwards.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page