3d gaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys enjoying 3D gaming? Just read in another forum that it suffers greatly from latency and a blurring effect for some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by noviceisme View Post

You guys enjoying 3D gaming? Just read in another forum that it suffers greatly from latency and a blurring effect for some.

Love it when it's good. Unfortunately right now, most of it isn't. When the 3D is good, the resolution really suffers. When they use dirty hacks so they don't have to drop resolution, it usually ends up looking way worse than in 2D.

There's nothing inherent about it that causes latency or blurring. Just not all implementations are created equal. Some of it is spectacular.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well that's me sold with no bad reviews I'm of to get some 3d equipment
post #4 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well that's me sold with no bad reviews I'm of to get some 3d equipment

Just be aware that the majority of games out right now have pretty poor 3D. You'll find much better 3D on the PS3 than on the 360. It's not that the 360 can't pull it off just as well, but Sony sells 3DTVs so they make sure it looks good.

If you're buying new gear, I highly recommend a plasma set, much better 3D experience. You cant really go wrong with either samsung or panasonics current offerings. If you're going big screen RPTV, I hear DLP does a pretty good job as well. Passive tech might be up and coming, but the current LG offering has such horrible input lag it's useless for gaming, and their FPR tech doesn't really mesh well with SBS formatted 3D.

post #5 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Just be aware that the majority of games out right now have pretty poor 3D. You'll find much better 3D on the PS3 than on the 360. It's not that the 360 can't pull it off just as well, but Sony sells 3DTVs so they make sure it looks good.

If you're buying new gear, I highly recommend a plasma set, much better 3D experience. You cant really go wrong with either samsung or panasonics current offerings. If you're going big screen RPTV, I hear DLP does a pretty good job as well. Passive tech might be up and coming, but the current LG offering has such horrible input lag it's useless for gaming, and their FPR tech doesn't really mesh well with SBS formatted 3D.

That's funny, I have an LG 65LW6500 and when using Game Mode, it works just fine.

post #6 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog View Post

That's funny, I have an LG 65LW6500 and when using Game Mode, it works just fine.

Everything I've read is that even in game mode input lag is in high double digits, even in 2D mode. I don't have one so I'm just going by what I've seen tested.

Since you have one, is passive really as crosstalk and ghosting free as they say? If the lag isn't that bad and the 3D image is good, I'm def interested in that set.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have any experience with active projectors as I have started to think of getting one for some big screen gaming in 3D.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does anyone have any experience with active projectors as I have started to think of getting one for some big screen gaming in 3D.

If you need specific hardware advice, check out the 3D subforums on AVS.

post #9 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everything I've read is that even in game mode input lag is in high double digits, even in 2D mode. I don't have one so I'm just going by what I've seen tested.

Since you have one, is passive really as crosstalk and ghosting free as they say? If the lag isn't that bad and the 3D image is good, I'm def interested in that set.

Not using Game Mode is brutal. I forgot to turn it on the first time I played MW3 and my heart sank when I was moving like the hands of a clock.... click, click, click. I switched to Game Mode and it returned to moving smooth. I have the Xbox HDMI right into my receiver where others say to send it straight to the TV and then change the input to PC mode. I may do that to see if it's any better. I don't notice the lag now but if it is even lower lag numbers, than why not?

I'll be the first to admit I'm no videophile so I'm not even sure what some of these issues are. I watched Monsters vs Aliens in 3D (on PS3) and it was great. I didn't notice anything strange. I played Uncharted 3 in 3D on the PS3 and it was pretty cool. It's different than I am used to so I'm not sure I could consistently play games in 3D.

It's a pretty sweet TV, I would definitely try to demo it at a store. I bought it through Amazon. They had a better price than it is currently at plus it came with 4 pairs of glasses. Also, they credited back the price for the LG 6 pack of glasses as well so I got 10 pairs for free. That's another reason I liked the passive 3D. I would never have bought more than 2 pairs of Active glasses at their current price.

post #10 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not using Game Mode is brutal. I forgot to turn it on the first time I played MW3 and my heart sank when I was moving like the hands of a clock.... click, click, click. I switched to Game Mode and it returned to moving smooth. I have the Xbox HDMI right into my receiver where others say to send it straight to the TV and then change the input to PC mode. I may do that to see if it's any better. I don't notice the lag now but if it is even lower lag numbers, than why not?

I'll be the first to admit I'm no videophile so I'm not even sure what some of these issues are. I watched Monsters vs Aliens in 3D (on PS3) and it was great. I didn't notice anything strange. I played Uncharted 3 in 3D on the PS3 and it was pretty cool. It's different than I am used to so I'm not sure I could consistently play games in 3D.

It's a pretty sweet TV, I would definitely try to demo it at a store. I bought it through Amazon. They had a better price than it is currently at plus it came with 4 pairs of glasses. Also, they credited back the price for the LG 6 pack of glasses as well so I got 10 pairs for free. That's another reason I liked the passive 3D. I would never have bought more than 2 pairs of Active glasses at their current price.

I ended up getting 2 pairs of active glasses for free with the set, but they are still absolutely ridiculous pieces of equipment. The holy grail for me as a rx glasses wearer is really good passive. Glasses free anything is just a dream for me.

post #11 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ended up getting 2 pairs of active glasses for free with the set, but they are still absolutely ridiculous pieces of equipment. The holy grail for me as a rx glasses wearer is really good passive. Glasses free anything is just a dream for me.

I wear glasses as well. Constantly thinking about laser surgery but that's a different forum! LOL I wore the passive clip ons while watching Monsters vs Aliens and it was great.

post #12 of 15 Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wear glasses as well. Constantly thinking about laser surgery but that's a different forum! LOL I wore the passive clip ons while watching Monsters vs Aliens and it was great.

Sigh. I would kill for clip ons. I have to put these ridiculous glasses that weigh 3 times as much as my titanium frames over my rx glasses. It's absurd.

post #13 of 15 Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

It's alot of mixed reactions I keep reading on this subject. Is it dependent on the quality of the display? Or the type? I'm looking to use a projector.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Black Ops looks pretty good in 3d. don't notice any lag when playing sprilt screen on xbox live with my buddy. I like the depth that it adds which for distance shots makes it easier for me. the pop out when you round a corner can be a shock at times tho haha.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I am using an Acer 5365 with a viewsonic vlpd31 processor and xpand 102 active glasses.

All work very well, easy to set up, no nag screens, no lag, and a nice bright picture.

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page