HDMI Live Video Capture - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Or when you double snipe headshot Snake and Harp with one shot, then look down and realize you forgot to hit record?

Yeah that sounds like a really cool feature, interested to here more about how that works out.

What kind of computer will you be using...meaning laptop or desktop?

Good luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 497
the Elgato is always recording. makes it simpler if you do forget to hit record.
post #33 of 43 Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Or when you double snipe headshot Snake and Harp with one shot, then look down and realize you forgot to hit record?
Yeah that sounds like a really cool feature, interested to here more about how that works out.
What kind of computer will you be using...meaning laptop or desktop?
Good luck with it.

I use my Mac Mini since it sits right beside the Xbox, 99% of the time. If my plans for the next day involve lots of lounging around at the park/beach with the family then I use my Macbook Air so I can fool around with the editing while I am just sitting there. Both work fine for the recording needs, but the Mini does my encoding quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

the Elgato is always recording. makes it simpler if you do forget to hit record.

A feature that I always wished I had.

All this talk wants me to open the box and start using it.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 43 Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I mean from what I gather, It seems I would just wait until I got some kill streak or something then use the go back and capture feature. Assuming it is a quick and easy process. Either way look forward to your review.

I use Trittin AX720 gaming headphones which requires Spidif. How would that work with this Elgato? What kind of headphones do you use and how will it hookup?
post #35 of 43 Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I have no idea how it would work with optical since there's no optical passthrough like on the HD-PVR. Can you have simultaneous HDMI 5.1 and optical 5.1 at the same time?

There's no real difference in recording between the HD-PVR and the Elgato. It's a matter of semantics. On the HD-PVR, you are manually recording and then using an editor to pick and choose what scenes you want to keep. On the Elgato, it's automatically recording and then you're using an editor to choose what scenes you want to keep. The only "difference" is it appears to be "recording" when you're choosing your scenes when in fact you're just nondestructively (hopefully) editing the video like on the HD-PVR.
post #36 of 43 Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I use the PC360 with 5.8 mixamp. I plug the mixamp straight to the xbox, I figured there is no need for 5.1 on my videos. With the Elgato it will be the same process with the just less wires to deal with. I plan on hooking it up tomorrow night and checking it out. I'll give my thoughts between the 2 this weekend.

benjamin-benjami -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 43 Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes you can have both hdmi and optical at the same time. The el gato is very easy to use and records great. I switched from the black magic shuttle to it. Have been very please with it so far.

PSN---xconman, XBL---I 4M CONM4N
post #38 of 43 Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

the process is pretty fast so I actually make 2 copies of a video, one in stereo for Youtube (since Youtube converts everything to stereo anyway) and one for personal keepsakes in 5.1 audio. It's just great to play and hear everything in 5.1 with all of your friends in it as well. And the cool thing about recordings is you'll notice things watching the video that happened so fast during the times you were playing.
post #39 of 43 Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

the cool thing about recordings is you'll notice things watching the video that happened so fast during the times you were playing.

This is so true. Many times I am watching the footage and see something I never noticed while playing.

benjamin-benjami -
post #40 of 43 Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a chance to use it this weekend and for a Mac user, I found it so much easier to use from a software standpoint. I am not sure how the HD-PVR windows software worked but for me I needed to use 3 programs to get my video to YouTube. Now its all done on 1 and much quicker. I do like the smaller box and the one wire setup. Also the process to share the video couldnt be easier. After recording your videos you go to edit them and then it asks where you want to share/send it to. Very simple. I didnt play to much with the edit menu but I do want to check if I can edit multiple videos together. Will test that tonight.

I did however have a few issues. Last night when I remembered to use it, I went to my computer and it said it couldnt locate the GameCapture so I restarted the program and it worked just fine. The issue was for some reason it decided to give me a black screen on my TV. I knew I was in the chopper, luckily a gunner, but I was flying blind for a few seconds. Good thing I had my Ace pilot Nexus flying. It didnt happen again so not sure what happened. You can play without the software running so that wasnt the issue.

benjamin-benjami -
post #41 of 43 Old 09-05-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

They just updated their software to now support 1080p recording. Also if you want you can have the 360 in 1080p and record in 720p to reduce the file size. So far I must say I am very happy with it. My only complaint is that it seems as if the program needs to be running for the video to show on my TV. I now leave the program on as this computer never turns off anyway.

benjamin-benjami -
post #42 of 43 Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

There's a new standalone capture Box that I just saw at Fry's yesterday but do not recall the name of it. It stated HDMI on the box and I think it was either $130 or $150. If I come across more info I'll post it (sorry).

Jason

Is this what you were talking about?

post #43 of 43 Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hauppauge has release a new HD-PVR 2. Now with HDMI. Pretty cheap too! Newegg and others are selling it for $160!

Unfortunately, it's not a great solution for a PS3 gamer since their HDMI is encrypted, severely limiting what you can record. But on the 360, it seems like a great option or alternative to the El Gato. I wish it could do 1080p60 but I guess that's a limitation of the USB 2.0 interface. And I guess it doesn't really matter if you upload your videos to Youtube which transcodes it to 30 fps anyway.

Huge Hauppauge PS3 disclaimer on the page: Note: HD PVR 2 will not record video from HDMI with HDCP copy protection. If you are recording PS3 gameplay, use the included PS3 component video gaming cable. When we designed the HD PVR 2, we wanted to reduce the number of cables, so we designed a Component video to HDMI converter inside HD PVR 2. So, even though you need to use Component video to record from a PS3, you can use HDMI to connect to your TV set.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr2-gaming.html

Record video game play in HD on your laptop or desktop PC

HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition records high definition video from a Sony® PlayStation®3 or Microsoft® Xbox® 360 onto your Windows laptop or desktop PC, in a high definition H.264 format. Make video recordings of your best game play in HD. Upload your favorite games to YouTube and share them with other gamers online. Or make a high definition movie of your game play to share with your friends or use it to discuss tactics with your clan members!
You can also play your game play recordings back onto your PC screen or transfer them over your home network for playback on a PS3 or Xbox 360.
New!
Now with HDMI and Component Video in, Plus no-delay HDMI video passthrough!

HD PVR 2 now comes with HDMI in and out to make it easier to connect to your Xbox 360 and your HD TV set. For the PS3, HD PVR 2 comes with a PS3 Component Video gaming cable, while still using the HDMI out for no-delay passthrough to your HD TV set!
Record button
The Record button is mounted on
top of HD PVR 2, and makes it easy to
start and stop your gameplay recordings!
New! Now with a Record button, so you can start and stop your video recordings directly from the HD PVR 2

HD PVR 2 has a top mounted record button. Hit the record button and ShowBiz opens on your PC and starts recording. Hit the record button again and ShowBiz will stop recording. This makes recording your video gameplay super easy!
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page