HDMI Live Video Capture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 02-06-2012, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new here, and I'm not sure if this was the right forum category to post this. If it wasn't, I'm sorry.

Anyway, does anyone know of any good HDMI video capture devices? I've looked at the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, but haven't seen any reviews from people who have used it on an XBOX, and my laptop doesn't have USB 3.0 capability.

I want to be able to play multiplayer games & record it using the HDMI and lessen the whole cable splitters deal. I've watched too much Youtube videos on how these live video captures work and most of it was you had to split the audio and video jacks into two.

So does anyone have a better video capyure device to recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 493
if you want to use your laptop and you don't have USB 3.0, then your choices are limited as the higher end devices are either PCI Express cards for a desktop PC or require USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.

I use a Hauppauge HD-PVR on my old notebook as the recording device. The HD-PVR is an external device which hooks up to any system with USB 2.0 or above. Plus, since the CPU work is being done by the HD-PVR rather than your PC, you don't need a powerful PC to get it to go.

Unfortunately, it's only component and records 720P/1080i video. But because it's component, you can record things like Netflix or anything being output by your device like the 360.

I've recorded lots of 720P videos at 60 fps on the Xbox 360, and they're beautiful. Very easy to edit in many of my video editing programs (I use VideoReDo TV Suite and Adobe Premiere).

Unfortunately, there's no free place to post 60 fps videos. Youtube and Vimeo only support 30 fps and below videos.

The only issue I have with my Hauppauge is the passthrough composite audio is noisy but luckily, the inputs to the Hauppauge are clean so there's no noise in the recording (I record the 5.1 audio via optical port anyway).

If you meet the specs, both the Blackmagic and the Hauppauge Colossus make for great recordings.
post #3 of 43 Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

if you want to use your laptop and you don't have USB 3.0, then your choices are limited as the higher end devices are either PCI Express cards for a desktop PC or require USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt.

I use a Hauppauge HD-PVR on my old notebook as the recording device. The HD-PVR is an external device which hooks up to any system with USB 2.0 or above. Plus, since the CPU work is being done by the HD-PVR rather than your PC, you don't need a powerful PC to get it to go.

Unfortunately, it's only component and records 720P/1080i video. But because it's component, you can record things like Netflix or anything being output by your device like the 360.

I've recorded lots of 720P videos at 60 fps on the Xbox 360, and they're beautiful. Very easy to edit in many of my video editing programs (I use VideoReDo TV Suite and Adobe Premiere).

Unfortunately, there's no free place to post 60 fps videos. Youtube and Vimeo only support 30 fps and below videos.

The only issue I have with my Hauppauge is the passthrough composite audio is noisy but luckily, the inputs to the Hauppauge are clean so there's no noise in the recording (I record the 5.1 audio via optical port anyway).

If you meet the specs, both the Blackmagic and the Hauppauge Colossus make for great recordings.

I will take a look at the Hauppauge. As long as I can play in HDMI and capture even the lowest end of HD video, then I'm good. It doesn't have to be the high end 1080 HD. I can deal with the 720.

One question, is there any way to change the 60fps to 30fps? Or convert the video after capture?
post #4 of 43 Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

You can record at whatever framerate you want but it just looks so amazing at 60 fps. And if Youtube is your destination, the default 720p/60 will be transcoded to their settings (though what I usually do is make my video edits, transcode the edited version with Handbrake to MP4 and then upload to Youtube since the settings of Handbrake match what Youtube wants and thus there's minimal time for video processing on Youtube's part).

Whatever the final framerate is that you want, you should set that as the default. It's a significant waste of time to do a framerate conversion.

The "raw" file from the Hauppauge that I selected for it to make is a h.264 file in a TS container which makes it easy for me to edit.
post #5 of 43 Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 AM

If you have an ExpressCard 34 slot, look for the HD80E from Timeleak.
post #6 of 43 Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
There's a new standalone capture Box that I just saw at Fry's yesterday but do not recall the name of it. It stated HDMI on the box and I think it was either $130 or $150. If I come across more info I'll post it (sorry).

Jason
post #7 of 43 Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recteur View Post

If you have an ExpressCard 34 slot, look for the HD80E from Timeleak.

I think this is probably the best suggestion if you meet the system requirements and absolutely have to use HDMI and a laptop. There's still no guarantee you won't need a splitter to avoid latency. Expect to spend $200.
post #8 of 43 Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Where do you buy one of these Hauppauge PVR's...from their own site, or from somewhere else cheaper?

I can't tell from their site if there is a difference (besides color) between the regular PVR and the "gaming edition" pvr.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods.html

I've been wanting to play around with these things for a while. I'm thinking about getting one.

I suppose this is the avs official thread for the Hauppauge HD PVR (although it seems to be in the wrong section): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=hd+pvr
post #9 of 43 Old 02-11-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Where do you buy one of these Hauppauge PVR's...from their own site, or from somewhere else cheaper?

I can't tell from their site if there is a difference (besides color) between the regular PVR and the "gaming edition" pvr.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods.html

I've been wanting to play around with these things for a while. I'm thinking about getting one.

from what I understand, the only difference between the gaming edition and the regular edition is the gaming edition comes with a universal cable that allows you to plug the 360, PS3, etc. That can potentially save people $15-40 right there. Oh, and they made the color now green rather than blue.

But if you already have a component cable for your 360, then it's less of an advantage. And for the cheaper cost of the older HD PVR, the savings is a wash.

who knows what the internal differences are (check the usual hauppauge fan sites to find out).

Newegg has it on sale now for $180 + whatever.

Amazon recently pricematched it (got to love Amazon's predatory pricematching), offering free shipping and no tax in many states.

It's a great device for its portability, easy editing of the files, offloading of tasks so you don't need a great PC, etc.

I'm using an ancient HP notebook with a weak dual core processor and it works fine.

If you're going to be using a powerful PC, the internal PCI Express cards are great too (BlackMagic, Hauppauge Colossus, etc.).
post #10 of 43 Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

No, same here a couple year old cheapy laptop, which I believe is a dual core.

I saw one reviewer on YouTube say that one should just buy direct from Hauppauge to make sure to get the newest updated HD PVR.

What do you think?
post #11 of 43 Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

who knows. that seems like a theory and anecdotal more than anything. I don't know what makes one revision "better" than another. I say get what's the best price. The HD-PVR has been making great videos for a long time. What would make the current better than an older one?

I think newer version of the HD-PVR come with newer recording software. That might make a difference. I really can't offer any advice as I've been plugging away at my "old" one and haven't stayed up on what the latest revision offers.
post #12 of 43 Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I think I am going to order one this week. I might seek your advice again after I start playing around with it though.
post #13 of 43 Old 02-12-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, sublime or anybody, I think I have a few more questions.

I guess what I am looking to do is you basic video game highlight reel played with music...for the most part. I would assume I would want to do some other things with it later though.

But lets go off of just those "highlight type reels".

I read the capture part is the easy part and any old pc/laptop should be able to handle that. But then the creation of the video is the hard part.

That seems obvious enough, only I am now worried that my basic laptop may not be up to the task of the creation part. I am worried that I could end up with this PVR, but then end up needing a stronger pc to do what I described.

Do you guys have any advice on that aspect?

And also, do you guys know how much I would be looking at spending on software?

I am now worried that this may not be as easy as I thought. And I am also worried that I may not fully understand the cost related to all of this.

Thanks again guys.
post #14 of 43 Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Actually, sublime or anybody, I think I have a few more questions.

I guess what I am looking to do is you basic video game highlight reel played with music...for the most part. I would assume I would want to do some other things with it later though.

But lets go off of just those "highlight type reels".

I read the capture part is the easy part and any old pc/laptop should be able to handle that. But then the creation of the video is the hard part.

That seems obvious enough, only I am now worried that my basic laptop may not be up to the task of the creation part. I am worried that I could end up with this PVR, but then end up needing a stronger pc to do what I described.

Do you guys have any advice on that aspect?

And also, do you guys know how much I would be looking at spending on software?

I am now worried that this may not be as easy as I thought. And I am also worried that I may not fully understand the cost related to all of this.

Thanks again guys.

For recording with the HD-PVR, I use what came with it which was the ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme. I believe this software has recently been supplanted by another app from ArcSoft. It's really easy to set. Just choose what resolution, what bitrate, what framerate, etc. Then hit the little record button to record.

For basic editing, I use VideoReDo TV Suite. Extremely easy to use. As long as you know how to use a slider bar and know how to click on buttons like "cut selection" or "save as", you can use this app. It doesn't get much easier than this app. What I really like about it (besides ease of use) is that you can edit the video nondestructively (meaning you are not re-encoding the video/audio). I use this app mostly for trimming the video, cutting out unnecessary scenes, etc.

When i want to do special effects, I use Adobe Premiere. Now, Premiere is not cheap so there are lots of cheaper apps out there than will do similar stuff. Maybe Adobe Premiere Elements? With Premiere, I can overlay other music tracks, other videos, do subtitles, etc.

Now, if I want to publish to a site like Youtube or Vimeo, I often use Handbrake (free) to do it. It's also easy to use (not as easy as VideoReDo) and can quickly transcode your final video. The reason to use a program that can accept Youtube settings (or any site's) is it allows you to have control over the output. If you decide to upload your video directly to Youtube, you are at the whim of the Youtube transcoder. Not only will it take forever and a day for Youtube to finish processing it, the quality is often crap. And if it is crap, that wastes a lot of time.

The bottleneck is video encoding or transcoding. Editing in VideoReDo is quick and easy. The longest part will be outputting your product from Adobe Premiere or Handbrake.

So let's go with your workflow example. I hit the record button. I play a bunch of games. I load up VideoReDo and trim the bits so it all goes nicely together.

Now, if you just want to replace the game audio with your music (i.e., music video), you can extract/remove the original audio and insert your music with something like TSMuxer (free).

If you want to overlay your music on top of your gameplay, you need an editor like Adobe Premiere.

Then you run your video through Handbrake to match the settings of the site you want to upload to.

Then you upload the video.

The complexity of the video will dictate how much work all of this is. If all you want to do is record a clip of you playing Gears with your music in the background, just start your Xbox music player with your music and then play Gears. Record, trim, transcode, and upload. Very quick and easy.

here's a goofy Christmas video I made (apologize for crappy Youtube; Vimeo doesn't allow gameplay videos as gameplay videos are considered copyright infringements). All I did was record and trim the video. Trimming the video took maybe 2 minutes. Transcoding in Handbrake took less than 10 minutes, I think. Uploading was by far the slowest part:

If you want to collate a bunch of highlights together with music, it gets more complicated.

and one more thing. Honestly, I could've done all of this in Adobe Premiere. But to me, VideoReDo is just so easy and quick that unless I need to do something crazy, I just skip Premiere altogether.

Here's another video I made. Keep in mind that Forza Motorsport 4 is a 60 fps racer but Youtube maxes at 30 fps so Forza's beautiful framerate suffers in the video (along with the typical Youtube compression):

But yeah, once you get the setup, you'll have a ton of fun with it. Here's some friends and me goofing around, doing an easter egg in Gears of War 3:

last video, I promise!!!
mphfrom77 likes this.
post #15 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

onlysublime, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me.

By doing a little more research I see Amazon lowered the Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 by $20 yesterdat so now it is $160 (plus tax for me, but I have prime so I believe I will get 2 day shipping for free). I am currently waiting on a $100 gift card that I got from work to go through, and then I am going to order it.

In researching the Adobe Premier I came upon CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Ultra. PC Mag has it as their top pick this yearhttp://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372982,00.asp. It seems to get good reviews and is $70 on Amazon with Prime being available as wellhttp://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212...9234622&sr=8-2. Would anybody happen to have opinions on that?

I haven't looked into the VideoRedo to much though.

I'm excited, but weary. I'm worried my computer may not be strong enough to handle all of this. Not to mention I am computer illiterate. Only one way to learn I guess. Unfortunately I have to spend for a component converter out of my xbox as I had an hdmi only model.

Again, really appreciate it sublime.
post #16 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I am a little confused again though.

What is the difference between Video Redo TVsuite and CyberLink Power Director 10?

Or in sublime's posts what is the difference between Video Redo TVsuite and Adobe Premier?

Does Video Redo do things that the others won't. Do I definitely need both?

Thanks.
post #17 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never used the Cyberlink program so someone else is going to have to chime in on that.

Adobe Premiere is a full-function video editor that does pretty much everything you can imagine. It has a zillion functions. But by the same token, it's also pretty complicated and you'll be using Youtube, books, and other tutorials on how to use that program. Once you do a few videos, though, you will get the basics. Just like Microsoft Word can be easy to type a basic letter, but you explore a bit and you'll find a wealth of cool features.

here's a 480P SD video I made with Adobe Premiere that's a step above the previous vids I showed. I have subtitles and moving videos/images:

VideoReDo is basic editing for the beginner. It's to trim out the junk in your recordings. Like the beginning when you're fumbling around after hitting record. Like the middle section of the video when you're doing nothing like going to the bathroom. Like the end when you going to hit the stop record button. VideoReDo is also good for doing things like remove commercials from a recording. I use it with my Windows Media Center recordings to remove stuff and prep it for conversion to MKV or other formats.

It's also good for joining videos. So let's say you make 5 gaming clips and want them all in one video. Just add them to the joiner list and hit start and boom, out comes 1 video.

It's also good at detecting bad frames and desynced audio/video and fixing them. That's why it's great for stuff like Windows Media Center. I get OTA HD and for some stations, the signal isn't quite strong enough to prevent corrupt frames. VideoReDo will remove those corrupt frames so playback is flawless.

VideoReDo itself can encode your video material to many different formats but I prefer to have full control over encoding parameters and VideoReDo does too much behind the scenes for my taste (I like to be in control).

There is no program that's easier to use than VideoReDo. It's about as easy as loading up Angry Birds. But it's not the do-everything editor. It has a very narrow range of features but it's awesome at what it does do. And note that for most of VideoReDo's functionality, you are only trimming video so as long as you save it in the format that it originally came in, it takes very little time and uses very little CPU power.

The only time you really need a lot of CPU horsepower is when you go to re-encode a video and encoding video is where most video editors take the most time. So you set up your work and then hit the start button, go away for dinner, play some video games, do it while you're sleeping, etc. If you're making short clips, even on the slowest of slow machines, it won't take more than a couple of hours (usually around 15-20 minutes on many machines).

Again, in terms of editing, everything that can be done in VideoReDo can be done in Premiere. But Premiere does not allow nondestructive editing of a video (it re-encodes the video according to your specs). It does not fix corrupt files. It does not have autodetection of ads in your recordings for automated deletion. And I don't think it handles WTV Windows Media Center files.

Again, Premiere is expensive and I don't recommend it for basic dabbling. Your Cyberlink program sounds cool. If after reading reviews, it has the features you want in an editor, then go for it.

In terms of your Xbox, there is no HDMI only 360. On your 360 is a generic breakout port that can accept a 360-specific component cable, VGA cable, etc. You can buy one a used one at Gamestop for $10. Or you could get the gaming edition of the HD-PVR which comes with a universal cable for the 360/PS3/Wii.
post #18 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I ordered the normal pvr, the component cable adapter for the xbox, and that PowerDirector 10. I'll see if just those different softwares can do what I want for now.

I'll see what I can do. I'm sure I will be in touch. Thank you very much for your help sublime. You went above and beyond. I really appreciate it.
post #19 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

let me know your thoughts on the Cyberlink program. I'm always willing to try out new programs. But at the costs of these apps, I need input from real people before I consider it.

how much did you get the cyberlink app for?

the thing I'm curious about is what it's like to use Cyberlink (or any other app) to record directly from the HD-PVR. I've always used the default software that came with the HD-PVR to record as it was perfectly functional. But if Cyberlink can do it just as well as the free one with the HD-PVR, that'd give me more incentive to try it out.

From looking at the screenshots, it looks similar to the basic interface of Adobe Premiere.
post #20 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Well besides your help above, I will be basically flying in the dark so to say. But that's fine, I know really the only way to learn something is usually to dive into it.

PowerDirector 10 was $70 today on Amazon. I mainly went off of the PC Mag review and some user reviews. PC Mag compared it to the Adobe Premier Elements which is also $70 on Amazon today and the Sony Vegas Movie Studio which is $60 today on Amazon. But they picked the PowerDirector 10 for its speed and power, 3D capability, a few other reasons and because of their free online user created support site/forum.

(I guess PC Mag really liked Apples new price reduction to $300 for one of their editing softwares, but I didn't even look into that one. Here's PC Mags take on how to go about deciding on which software to use/buy...http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365581,00.asp)

IDK, I see how it goes. Everything is supposed to get here Thursday. I hope it doesn't take me too long to get first, extremely basic video put together.

(I also have to recover my youtube account. Lost my old password that was attached to an old email address, and for some reason I am having trouble verifying my account info with my new google email address.)
post #21 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Why is everyone talking about the HDPVR. He's asking for HDMI. The big problem with HDPVR is it isn't hdmi. Component quality just plain sucks. The recording itself doesn't look bad at all. It's playing in component that stinks.
post #22 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah sorry I'll probably stop posting. Didn't mean to hijack her thread. Thought somehow I would be pushing the conversation forward, but maybe I hijacked it.

Do you have any suggestions for the thread?
post #23 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

don't worry about jukebox. he likes to crap on everything.
post #24 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

don't worry about jukebox. he likes to crap on everything.

Riiiiiight. Because telling the OP the exact Opposite of what he's looking for is helpful.

Maybe you failed to read the post. He was asking for HDMI. Last I checked. The HDPVR is NOT HDMI.

It isn't a bad recorder at all. Which is why it's pretty much the most popular PVR for gamers.

That being said. It not being hdmi is exactly why I don't use it. As I said. The recording quality is great. But actual video quality when playing on an HDTV? Just flat out horrible and pretty much unplayable.

To the OP. As someone said. Your options are pretty limited. If you have a pc with PCI or PCI-E I'd get a black magic. They have a pretty cheap one that only has hdmi in but it does the trick. Use an hdmi splitter solves the problem. Quality on it is great.

I believe I've seen an external hdmi recorder but I'm not sure where I saw it. I'll see if I can find it again.
post #25 of 43 Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

the question was already discussed earlier in the thread. if you didn't just troll threads, you'd know that. and yes, the guy did hijack the thread but better than just crap on a thread, you try to help to help out. Thanks for cribbing my advice in post #2. And I don't know how anyone can say component looks like crap and is unplayable. something must be wrong with your TV's component inputs.

if you find out useful information on a box that does HDMI, we'd love to hear it. the more info, the better!
post #26 of 43 Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

alright, I saw this recorder and it seems very promising. It allows you to use an HDMI connection, it can work over USB 2.0 which is wonderful if you use a laptop to record, it's tiny, and it doesn't need an external power supply.

I haven't worked with it myself but the reviews seem good. My only questions are how easy it is to work with the "raw" footage. because I love having the ability to edit the video easily with the Hauppauge HD-PVR.

the Elgato Game Capture HD
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/capture-convert/GameCaptureHD.html

post #27 of 43 Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

alright, I saw this recorder and it seems very promising. It allows you to use an HDMI connection, it can work over USB 2.0 which is wonderful if you use a laptop to record, it's tiny, and it doesn't need an external power supply.
I haven't worked with it myself but the reviews seem good. My only questions are how easy it is to work with the "raw" footage. because I love having the ability to edit the video easily with the Hauppauge HD-PVR.
the Elgato Game Capture HD
http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/capture-convert/GameCaptureHD.html

I actually ordered this one last week. I dont plan on using it till I move though so I cant comment on it just yet, in a few weeks I will no more. I had no issues with the Hauppauge but I prefer the 1 wire to deal with than having the components. My TV has the component input on the side so it looks ugly having 3 wires sticking out. I've been itching to take it out so I might use it sooner than intended.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #28 of 43 Old 08-20-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

hopefully there are no issues with the device not having an optical input/output. I personally find 5.1 audio through HDMI on the 360 to be flaky.
post #29 of 43 Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

How much is it Blica, and where did you purchase it?

Man that thing is tiny.
post #30 of 43 Old 08-21-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I got it off Amazon, $200. I have a Mac so I wasnt a big fan of the software for the Hauppage, I had to purchase it separately and I couldnt edit the file it created. I had to convert it which always took time. I have read good things about the software that the Elgato one uses and its compatible with both windows and mac. I also love the feature where if you forget to hit record, you can rewind the video on your computer and start the recording. So this way you can show off that great moment. You know the one where you are parachuting down and you double headshot the gunner and pilot and then steal the chopper mid-air. We all know thats a YouTube worthy moment.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page