Would you still buy an XBOX 720 if you can't play used games? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Would you still buy an XBOX 720 if you can't play used games?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
domingos38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
i never buy used games so it doesn't matter
i want to pre order soon
domingos38 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jones07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Phila Pa.
Posts: 4,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ditto, I don't think I ever purchased a used game,

but when my grand kids come over they have many used games..........so I can see both sides to this.

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
jones07 is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
 
spyder696969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of many wives
Posts: 9,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones07 View Post

Ditto, I don't think I ever purchased a used game,

but when my grand kids come over they have many used games..........so I can see both sides to this.

That's the heart of it right there. If you're a single guy with loads of discretionary cash, it won't matter. If you have kids to share games with, grandkids that stop by, or any friends that visit, it's a very, very big deal. Another part of having kids around is that Xbox games tend to get ruined more often...I don't see many being happy about forking out another $60 on some game that's 4+ years old that they want to replace because little Jimmy scratched MS' scratch magnet discs.

I still wouldn't complain if they made a compromise and had it capable of use in up to 3-5 consoles, however, so that a family can share games across multiple consoles. Who the Hell has only one Xbox in their home anymore? Nobody. If I want to play in the home theater and then decide to continue somewhere else, then it shouldn't cost another $60 for me to move a few feet, imo.
centking and Bikerduck like this.
spyder696969 is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
americangunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I'm married and have two kids and have no problem with not buying used games.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

americangunner is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
J_P_A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama
Posts: 4,174
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Uhm. I've only got one Xbox......

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
J_P_A is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
The problem goes beyond if you do or don't buy used discs. There are more than just current generation console owners that buy all their games new, all their games used, or a mixture of the two.

There is a very healthy minority of users out there that will want to play the Xbox 720 after the Xbox 1440 launches. Any attempt to curb used game usage is going to affect those that go beyond the date Microsoft officially concludes their support for the platform no matter if a game was originally bought brand new and is still with its original owner or is something that was purchased used.
Leo_Ames is online now  
Old 03-09-2013, 11:33 PM
 
spyder696969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of many wives
Posts: 9,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I'm married and have two kids and have no problem with not buying used games.

That's great if it works for you. For us; my wife, myself, and my son all play together, but on our own consoles. Not every game is worth $180 to me just to have a shiny plastic cover that immediately goes in the trash. Used games aren't equivalent to used underwear.

Things like Borderlands and Battlefield we played with our own online friends or even offline, sharing a single, original disc as we went along. Then, when used discs came around, we got 2 extras and all played together for about $80 total. With Black Ops 2, I'd never, ever, ever pay $60 for that turd, but my son wanted to play together. Since I got it used for $15, it was worth it for a few hours of his entertainment...at the expense of my irritation before selling off the disc for a small profit as payment for my time served in agony.

Then there's what I call "The Darkness Effect." I bought that game new and hated it with a passion. I should be stuck with a $60 PoS that I can't ever get rid of? Thanks, but no thanks. I realize that many here seem to have boatloads of cash to blow on games they may never play, but it's not that way for everyone. Kudos to those that can afford to throw away hundreds of dollars per year, but regardless of my status now or in the future, I can't justify it. We have hundreds of games between the three of us, but very few of them were $60. To us, that works, rather than having very few games and a garbage full of platic wrap.
centking likes this.
spyder696969 is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
domingos38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

That's great if it works for you. For us; my wife, myself, and my son all play together, but on our own consoles. Not every game is worth $180 to me just to have a shiny plastic cover that immediately goes in the trash. Used games aren't equivalent to used underwear.

Things like Borderlands and Battlefield we played with our own online friends or even offline, sharing a single, original disc as we went along. Then, when used discs came around, we got 2 extras and all played together for about $80 total. With Black Ops 2, I'd never, ever, ever pay $60 for that turd, but my son wanted to play together. Since I got it used for $15, it was worth it for a few hours of his entertainment...at the expense of my irritation before selling off the disc for a small profit as payment for my time served in agony.

Then there's what I call "The Darkness Effect." I bought that game new and hated it with a passion. I should be stuck with a $60 PoS that I can't ever get rid of? Thanks, but no thanks. I realize that many here seem to have boatloads of cash to blow on games they may never play, but it's not that way for everyone. Kudos to those that can afford to throw away hundreds of dollars per year, but regardless of my status now or in the future, I can't justify it. We have hundreds of games between the three of us, but very few of them were $60. To us, that works, rather than having very few games and a garbage full of platic wrap.


rent the games u want to play from places like gamefly
domingos38 is offline  
Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 AM
 
spyder696969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of many wives
Posts: 9,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

rent the games u want to play from places like gamefly

Do away with used games not working and that option is extinct. Fwiw, I don't rent games, if I want to play them, I just buy them.
spyder696969 is offline  
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
wrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: w.p.b fl
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Short answer NO.....
wrat is offline  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Myrtledog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I don't buy used games but I do trade most of my games in. Definitely wouldn't stop me from buying the new Xbox console.

Myrtledog is offline  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
nope
Dave84 is offline  
Old 03-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
rdethloff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I don't sell my games, but I play (and buy) alot from gamefly and I would be hugely disappointed if used games were blocked. I would still get the new xbox, but I probably wouldn't have three of them set up like I do now...
rdethloff is online now  
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 2,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I rarely buy used games, but I trade in games I no-longer play to be used towards reserves on new games coming out. My daughters also like to trade in their old games for new games
So I'd probably be inclined to switch to PS4 if the 720 prevents used games
NorthJersey is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

I wouldn't buy it, just on general priciples. Having a manufacturer dictate the ownership rights of a product after you've purchased it is downright obnoxious. It doesn't matter if I buy used games or not (and I do on occasion), it amounts to my rights as a consumer being eroded even more than they are today. Believe me, nothing good for the consumer will come out of this.


The only reason I still buy pc games is because I can find them for dirt cheap, rental-like prices. I really doubt MS/Sony/Nintendo will allow third parties to sell dl versions of their games at 90% off like I can with pc games. And I'm sure you'll be restricted to playing those games on one account/console. With pc games, I can install them on mutiple rigs and disconnect from the internet to play if I have to.


I already had this issue last Christmas concerning drm. I bought my son his own Xbox 360 to take with him to college and he wanted to play the dlc from the Mass Effect series. Well, since it was tied to my account and I wasn't going to let him have that account because of stuff my younger son and I have, I purchased it over again for his account. Yes, I knew this was going to happen, but that still doesn't wash that putrid taste out of my mouth. And just think this could happen with every part of every game in the future!


Yeah, F that noise.


I agree with the PC part too. That 90 percent off stuff just isn't going to happen with the big boys. Yeah, I know that Microsoft just recently had their own version of a "steam" sale, but the games that were 5 bucks were like 4 and 5 years old now. They didn't have anything from 2011 that was 5 bucks (that I can remember)
Anthony1 is online now  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post



I still wouldn't complain if they made a compromise and had it capable of use in up to 3-5 consoles, however, so that a family can share games across multiple consoles. Who the Hell has only one Xbox in their home anymore? Nobody. If I want to play in the home theater and then decide to continue somewhere else, then it shouldn't cost another $60 for me to move a few feet, imo.

Yeah, I agree with this. The game should be tied to your IP address. Tied to your residence. Everybody within the same residence should have the ability to enjoy the game.

Remember the old days when you'd buy a PS1 game and anybody in your house could play it, on any PS1 that you had in your house? What happened to those days ?
centking likes this.
Anthony1 is online now  
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cubdenno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cham-Bana Illinois
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 63
While I understand you guys with a single Xbox or the ones who don't buy used games. The simple truth is you are definitely a minority. Otherwise the game stops, gameflys, companies that buy used or accept trade ins would not be around. I myself don't buy used games for myself. My 11 year old does. My son and daughter share games on their respective accounts. And in speaking with others who are local to me, that is pretty common.

I don't doubt that some publishers will attempt an online code requirement. I don't have a problem with that.

I am glad the sim debacle happened. I really believe it will have a lasting effect on the industry. It's potentially going to open up the chances of lawsuits and definitely bring about challenges on refunds for digital media. I hope to see some things get changed.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
cubdenno is offline  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 PM
 
spyder696969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of many wives
Posts: 9,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Yeah, I know that Microsoft just recently had their own version of a "steam" sale, but the games that were 5 bucks were like 4 and 5 years old now. They didn't have anything from 2011 that was 5 bucks (that I can remember)

This is where I see my family getting dinged twice. Last year, we bought over 50 games for consoles, most of them used. At an average of $20 each, that's around $1000.

Now, consider that used games are taken out of the equation. MS/Sony will likely put those games out to pasture only after years and years. Now, I'm averaging at least $40 a game, so we're now rounding the $2K mark. But that's not the worst of it. All 50 games we've bought get shared between my wife, my son, and myself. With that option gone, and thus, having to buy 3X the amount of games, that puts us at $6,000 in one year. Sorry, but for that amount, I'll just build everyone a nice gaming computer and buy the same games for $10 each for PC...and still have enough left over for a nice family vacation.

This could very well be what kills all consoles for good, imo.
Bikerduck likes this.
spyder696969 is offline  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,899
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
I'm sure they'll continue let you use digital games throughout a household (with some restrictions). They don't really want to enter into a price war with each other, but there's plenty to compete with each other on - number of users, borrowing, streaming, etc

I know you can download the same PS3 game on two consoles (and play at the same time). MS has it tied a little closer to the account, Im not 100% sure if you downloaded a multiplayer game that two separate tags could use it.

I'm sure they'll continue to innovate and find unique ways to make customers happy to spend money with them. If you had told me 3 years ago that Sony would have a service where they give away 5 games a month and have crazy discounts, for less than $5 a month....I wouldn't have believed you. A little healthy cynicism is good, but everything will be fine.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off