Oblivion 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so I played about 3 hours of Morrowind back in the day and maybe 20hrs or less of Oblivion(closed 1 gate and that was it) but am loving Skyrim. Now that I'm about 45-50 hours into Skyrim(still a long ways to go) I'm thinking about picking up a used copy of either Oblivion or Morrowind for some of the Elder Scrolls history. I liked Oblivion so was leaning towards that since I played it some and it is newer which typically equals better. But I've seen a couple people mention that Morrowind was the best Elder Scrolls game still. So I pose this question, which would you want to replay/play for the first time and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Without a doubt, I'd choose Morrowind. But I wouldn't play it on 360/Xbox. Find a very cheap PC copy, pick up some free mods from the community, and have a great time. It should run great on even a modest PC config.

Skyrim = lots to do, but no real depth to the story or mechanics
Oblivion = okay story/stories, and clunky level/world design and combat
Morrowind = clunky combat, but constantly engaging world, quests, and story. The most open and liberating of the Elder Scrolls games.

I've played all 5 Elder Scrolls games. Arena was incredible at the time for being so unusual. Daggerfall was incredible at the time for being so huge. Morrowind was/is incredible for being a tightly constructed world with endless exploration. Oblivion was/is incredible for making a console-friendly experience. Skyrim was/is incredible for bringing open-world design ideas into the "Bethesda formula."

Personally, I thought Oblivion was one of the less engaging entries in the series. Its biggest payoff was the fact that it found a reasonable way to bring a PC experience to consoles. Morrowind is not a good console experience, but it's still to this day a phenomenal PC experience.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #3 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I played Morrowind on the Xbox and thought it was great. In fact, it was my entry game into the realm of consoles and I have never looked back to PC. Of course that was when it was more annoying to set the pc up on the TV so you could game from the couch and Morrowind was so large that comfortable seating was important .

All that being said, if you can get a mod that lessens the appearance of Cliffracers the the PC version will be miles better. Any way you slice it though the graphics won't be nearly as nice as what you may currently be used to, so if THAT is the most important thing to you, you may want to stick with Oblivion.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
That works out fairly well since I'm more likely to buy it for PC since I plan on using it to kill time when I'm traveling for work.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I had Morrowind on original Xbox and never got into it. Also got Oblivion after playing Fallout 3 when it went on Games on Demand and didn't play it for like a year since didn't get into it at first. Got hooked at a some point and ended up with over 100 hours into the game and all achievements (not including DLC) which says alot for a game which I played prob like 4 or 5 years after it came out.

Also really like Skyrim but taking my time with it and have gotten that far into main quest even though I'm prob 30-40 hours into it. Busy with online games (BF3) and Skyrim is the kinda game you can play anytime.

XBL : lowgn
post #6 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 265
All 3 were on sale on steam for midweek madness this week. But... looks like you just missed it.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #7 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM

Liked: 93
The correct answer is Fallout 3.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Morrowind was a better game than Oblivion, but both are excellent. Considering the price you can get them at, why not grab both?

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #9 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

The correct answer is Fallout 3.

Gunz!!!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page