Next XBOX may have touchscreen controller - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Many articles out now all reporting an Xbox touch screen controller all with the same source of "Xbox World Magazine"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462613

It is said that we'll see it at E3, and that Sony will not show PS4 at E3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This is not happy news, unless it's an optional additional controller or can somehow be integrated were the current add-on keyboard is. I think the current controller is quite excellent.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 AM

Liked: 10
if you read the article it says that its would have the current controller set-up with a touch screen in the middle for a more advanced version of the menu button which probably would have some sort of function in game, but it would be nothing like the wii u.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I hope it's true, I can think of a lot of good uses for a screen where the current keypad attachment goes (Whose functions this screen could handle without forcing you to buy an add-on accessory).

Inventory screens, a more detailed map that is available all the time, play selection screens in sports games, a rear view in racing games without having to hit a button to glance back, anything in a multiplayer game where you want some secrecy from the other players. Or Xbox Live functionality. You could handle things like typing a message to a friend, viewing messages, and such all through the controller without ever going through the dash when you're in a game.

And a personal favorite for a possibility, a proper console Intellivision collection. A touch screen is perfect for the keypad functions of an Intellivision controller (Which is why I loved that the DS got an Intellivision collection a couple of years back). Things like the PSOne Intellivision collection, Intellivision Lives on last generation consoles, the Intellivision games on 360's Game Room, and so on have always been crippled due to the necessity of bringing up an on-screen keypad, even in the middle of gameplay, anytime you needed to do something that you originally did on the Intellivision controller's keypad.

Now, you could just have a virtual keypad on your controller.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

I hope it's true, I can think of a lot of good uses for a screen where the current keypad attachment goes (Whose functions this screen could handle without forcing you to buy an add-on accessory).

Inventory screens, a more detailed map that is available all the time, play selection screens in sports games, a rear view in racing games without having to hit a button to glance back, anything in a multiplayer game where you want some secrecy from the other players. Or Xbox Live functionality. You could handle things like typing a message to a friend, viewing messages, and such all through the controller without ever going through the dash when you're in a game.

And a personal favorite for a possibility, a proper console Intellivision collection. A touch screen is perfect for the keypad functions of an Intellivision controller (Which is why I loved that the DS got an Intellivision collection a couple of years back). Things like the PSOne Intellivision collection, Intellivision Lives on last generation consoles, the Intellivision games on 360's Game Room, and so on have always been crippled due to the necessity of bringing up an on-screen keypad, even in the middle of gameplay, anytime you needed to do something that you originally did on the Intellivision controller's keypad.

Now, you could just have a virtual keypad on your controller.

Yes!

Make it removable as well, with enough memory that it can host it's own games - or continuations of games - or mini-games - allowing you to play on the go when you're away from your xbox. The Sega Dreamcast did it right with their controller, and that was years ago with no-where near the tech we have now.

-JR
post #6 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Hopefully it'd be an optional accessory. I would prefer to not pay for a touchscreen to use with a console.

HTPC always in progess...
things I've learned here:
"the sound of a power cord" is BS.
turn your center speaker 90 degrees.
avoid women who require WAF in a HT.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
sounds a lot like the VMU's I had for dreamcast, only touchscreen.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #8 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I think I'd rather they go the WiiU route to keep cost and weight down. Just enough guts inside of it to recieve the signal being sent to it to display on the touch screen and to send touch screen inputs back to the console. Can't operate out of range of the console independently.

And if they make it optional, you just killed any chance of it succeeding. It needs to be on every Xbox 720 controller in order for developers to embrace it and take advantage of it (Or at least every controller bundled with the console so everyone is guaranteed to have at least one controller with the accessory). Otherwise, it ends up like Motion Plus on the Wii and is just ignored by most everyone except for perhaps some Microsoft published games and the occasional 3rd party exception that supports it almost as an afterthought rather than taking full advantage of it.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 PM

If they can keep it low cost and use it in the right manner I would have no problem with it. But if its something like a radar or hud I don't see how it would be useful as I don't want to have to look down at my controller if im in the middle of a game.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I rave over the 360 controller compared to the PS3 controller, so they better NOT screw up the next one. I always have the keyboard attached so I'm used to a little extra weight, but they can't bulk it up a LOT more than that. Real keys to enter LIVE codes has been wonderful, so no hard-to-use touch keyboard, please...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #11 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Yay. $100 controllers!

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #12 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

That sounds too good to be true. It would be awesome to see replays and highlights during Madden playcalling on the TV without the playcalling screen. Messages and notifications showing in full detail pop-up style on the controller would be very cool

XBOX Live: Hank Love
post #13 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

Yay. $100 controllers!

This is what I am thinking. I always go through my controllers, the left stick starts to move my characters on it's own.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #14 of 16 Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

sounds a lot like the VMU's I had for dreamcast, only touchscreen.

My thoughts exactly. They waited kinda late to do this though now that internet gaming has pretty much killed two people sitting in front of one console gaming. I used to love this when playing NFL 2K on the dreamcast.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #15 of 16 Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

This is what I am thinking. I always go through my controllers, the left stick starts to move my characters on it's own.

And for me, that's one of the real issues. I don't want a $100 controller that I'll have to replace every year because the analog sticks start to drift. Heck, I don't even like paying $35 for a new 360 controller, but I do because I game a lot. I'm actually due for a new one soon as lockpicking and navigating the map in Skyrim is proving to become more of a chore.

Funny thing is, and I say this from a strictly non-fanboy stance, I've never had that issue with any of my PS3 controllers. All of my DS3's are still working without issue.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #16 of 16 Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

My thoughts exactly. They waited kinda late to do this though now that internet gaming has pretty much killed two people sitting in front of one console gaming. I used to love this when playing NFL 2K on the dreamcast.

In any house with kids or a dorm room, this type of multi-player is very much alive. I personally have 2 boys and very much desire a separate play calling screen for NCAA Football.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page