Syndicate - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Anyone pick this up or plans to? Impressions? I have read some reviews but always like to hear form you guys first before plunking down my cash. I am torn on picking this up or waiting for the inevitable price drop.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I liked the demo. I will wait for a price drop though, it's not going to be a hugely popular title IMO.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #3 of 4 Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I picked this up last week and have gotten thru about 3/4 of the single player campaign.

The story is presented in a very disjointed and uninteresting fashion with nearly all background info being presented as logs that you must read. It is somewhat reminiscent of Deus Ex: Human Revolution with its corporate intrigue and augmented humans but the action doesn't seem to dovetail with the storyline and the game plays as if the two exist almost independently of one another.

Graphically, the game looks very sharp and the engine actually rivals Id's Rage in terms of clarity but is slightly less fluid. The art design on the other hand is pretty uninspired and consists of garden variety delapidated buildings, futuristic office complexes and laboratories and large hangars. The areas are not particularly interactive or interesting.

Gameplaywise your standard run and gun action is complemented by some fun "apps" that function similarly to Jedi Force abilities including Suicide and Persuade (think Jedi Mind Trick) and Backfire (think Force Push). These apps, coupled with your ability to hack objects on the fly and a good variety of guns, give you lots of ways to dispose of your foes.

Speaking of weapons, they are for the most part interesting and fun to use and the further in you go the more interesting they become as you find advanced flamethrowers and lasers. Ammo is also fairly plentiful so you don't have to manage it too strictly (at least not at the easier levels).

So in the end the single player campaign (which is all I've tried so far) is a mixed bag: choppy story, poorly delivered narrative, sharp but largely uninteresting visuals mitigated by some interesting weapons and powers that lead to some fun firefights. I got it for $40 ($60 - $20 promo code) from Amazon and at that price its been a decent value so far but I'm not sure it will be a keeper once I finish it.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page