post #31 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

Actually if there is one thing I am NOT being, it's hypocritical. I'm trying to show to you how and why they do this and as a Madden player I can promise you, nobody is playing Madden 10 anymore online. NO...BO...DY.

what I wrote was that there was plenty of Madden 10 players at the time they shut down Madden 10 support. not now of course since there is no online support anymore.

my idea of plenty of people is when I want to play against someone, I can find someone random to play. a dead game is I can sit there waiting for someone for hours and find no one to play. That's not the case with Burnout Revenge.

Rainbow Six Vegas or Vegas 2? I can start a game and people will definitely join in at some point during my game. An ancient game that still gets play.

Joust? I can probably sit there for months and have no one to play with. Dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Pardon me, got confused about all the Madden talk and forgot it was FIFA 10, not Madden 10, that was going away.

My bad.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #33 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Leo, I'm not sure what you are saying exactly. It almost seems like you have a opinion that is not on topic. Confused.

It appears though sublime already talked about some of this, in the first post. Still, Leo, I'm just not sure if your question extends the conversation or if it is trying to start a new one.

It's on-topic.

Onlysublime thinks this is a poor decision on the part of EA (And I agree). Particularly when compared to the average game on the platform from other publishers that remains functional even if it's several years old and never had a online multiplayer community to start with.

But I think when you realize the situation of online multiplayer for EA published games which utilize company operated dedicated servers rather than being peer to peer like the average 360 game, it makes a decision such as this one on the part of EA seem a bit more reasonable (Which was why I posted this in the first place at the other forum we both frequent). I'm as anti EA as the next guy (I can remember when they were something special back 15-20 years ago or so), but it doesn't strike me when you realize the situation as completely unreasonable for them to be reallocating their server space to more recent games (Although I don't think Microsoft should've ever allowed EA to set up their own multiplayer to start with, but that's a different debate).

But Onlysublime believes I'm incorrect and believes that many non EA games on the platform also utilize company ran servers. And since there aren't droves of games from other publishers outside of EA going offline periodically, utilizing dedicated servers isn't anywhere close to a cakid excuse here for a EA game being taken offline.

Hence the question here to hopefully settle our debate that the vast majority of non EA games do in fact rely on P2P for online multiplayer and that is the reason they don't go offline as long as Xbox Live remains functional for matchmaking purposes (Onlysublime believes I'm exagerrating just now ubiquitous P2P multiplayer on the 360 is outside of EA games). It's not due to other publishers being more generous than EA by keeping their games online. It's all to do with the fact that online multiplayer on most 360 games utilize a completely different model than a EA published game that doesn't rely on any resources on the part of the publisher like dedicated servers.
post #34 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 503
okay, if you're going to merge the two forums, I'm just going to copy and paste...

Atariboy, you're still changing the argument. The argument is that EA controls the entire process of you being able to play your game online. That's what they took away from Microsoft. All that matters is that a person can make a connection to another person to play. Whether it's 30% of 360 games are P2P or 100% of games are P2P doesn't matter. Skype is P2P whereas AIM is now a hybrid. Does that matter to the user? The user just wants to connect to people. In the case of EA, EA wanted control of the entire pipeline between the game and you.

Why does EA run servers? It's certainly not some magnanimous decision. It certainly doesn't make for a better gaming experience. Burnout Paradise is one of the worst online experiences ever with extremely laggy performance and weird glitches. It's merely to control the pipeline.
post #35 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I don't even disagree with you and never was even arguing about any of that to start with. The closest I came to disagreeing with you about EA periodically taking games offline like in this instance is I just perhaps think a bit less negatively about it than you do (Perhaps due to being a bit more indifferent towards it, not a fan of the modern EA so I don't play a ton of EA releases to begin with so these decisions have little impact on me personally). Hardly can even call that a disagreement and I certainly wasn't out to defend them, I just wanted to explain why it happens to EA Xbox 360 games and not to 360 games from other publishers like Activision.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page