EA shutting more servers down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
onlysublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 503
This is the reason why I hate EA and how they manage their own servers. They can prematurely shut down any game server they want. The game servers run by Microsoft can run indefinitely. There are plenty of ancient Xbox 360 games still running because Microsoft runs the servers. But because EA has such major clout, Microsoft backed down when EA demanded they run their own servers or else Microsoft would not be getting EA games.

Microsoft had no clout to stop EA because way back when, the 360 was just about to launch and you can't have a game system that has no EA games. Sony was the dominant force but they didnt' care about online back then so it's not like they stood in the way of EA and it's not like MS had the strength to toe the line.

There have been many other games that were shut down on other platforms that kept running on the 360 because Microsoft managed them. Grid was shut down long ago on the PC and PS3 because that's what Codemasters wanted but it kept on ticking at Microsoft.


http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

The decisions to retire older EA games are never easy.

Thank you,
Electronic Arts

April 13, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown
BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii
Burnout™ Revenge for Xbox 360
EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii
FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
The Godfather™ II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
The Saboteur™ (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360

March 31, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown
BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
Ghost Harvest for iPhone

Previously Shut Down Online Service
Arena Football™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Arena Football™: Road to Glory for PlayStation 2
Armies of Exigo™ for PC
Army of Two™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Army of Two™ Demo for Xbox 360
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ for Xbox and Xbox 360
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ Demo for Xbox 360
Battlefield 2142™ Demo for PC
Burnout™ Revenge for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Burnout™ Dominator for PlayStation Portable
Burnout™ 3: Takedown ™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Def Jam® for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
EA SPORTS™ Fantasy Football 09 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
EA SPORTS™ FIFA Manager 10 for PC
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 2 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Xbox
EA SPORTS™ MMA (Live Broadcast Feature only) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Facebreaker™ for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
FIFA Soccer 2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
FIFA 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
FIFA 07 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360
FIFA 08 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii and PC
FIFA 09 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
FIFA 09 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
FIFA 10 for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
FIFA 10 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
FIFA Street 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
The Godfather™ The Game for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
LITTLEST PET SHOP Online for PC
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ for PC
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II for PC and Xbox 360
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II, The Rise of the Witch-king™ for PC and Xbox 360
The Lord of the Rings: Conquest™ for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
MVP™ 07 NCAA® Baseball for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Madden NFL 05 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Madden NFL 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
Madden NFL 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
Madden NFL 08 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Wii, Xbox and Xbox 360
Madden NFL 09 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii and Xbox
Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
Marvel Nemesis™: Rise of the Imperfects™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Medal of Honor Airborne™ for PlayStation Portable
Medal of Honor Heroes™ 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault™ for PC
Medal of Honor™ Rising Sun for PlayStation 2
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames™ for PC
MySims™ for PC
NASCAR® 05: Chase for the Cup™ for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NASCAR® 06: Total Team Control for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NASCAR® 07 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox and Xbox 360
NASCAR® 08 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NASCAR® 09 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NBA LIVE 05 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NBA LIVE 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
NBA LIVE 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
NBA LIVE 08 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Wii
NBA LIVE 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
NBA Street (2007) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NBA Street V3 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® Basketball 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Basketball 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Football 05 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® Football 06 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® Football 07 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Xbox
NCAA® Football 08 forPlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® Football 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 2
NCAA® Football 10 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® March Madness 06 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® March Madness™ 2005 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® March Madness® 07 for PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360
Need for Speed™ Carbon for PlayStation Portable
Need for Speed™ Most Wanted for PC, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PC and PlayStation Portable
Need for Speed™ Undercover for PlayStation Portable
Need for Speed™ Underground for PlayStation 2
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NFL Head Coach 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NFL STREET 2: Unleashed for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NFL STREET 3 for PlayStation 2
NFL Tour for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL® 2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NHL® 06 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NHL® 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
NHL® 08 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and PC
NHL® 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL® 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Pet Society™ Vacation for iPhone
The Simpsons™ Game for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
SimSocial on Facebook
The Sims Carnival
SKATE™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 05 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 08 for PC, PlayStation 2 PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 09 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
TimeSplitters 3: Future Perfect™ for Xbox and PlayStation 2
Total Club Manager 06 for PlayStation 2
UEFA Champions League™ 2004-2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
UEFA Champions League™ 2006-2007 for PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable
UEFA Champions League™ 07 for PC and Xbox 360
UEFA EURO 2008™ for PC PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
2006 FIFA World Cup™ for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
2010 FIFA World Cup™ South Africa for PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox 360 and Wii
2010 FIFA World Cup™ South Africa Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
onlysublime is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 03-14-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mhufnagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 92
That list is overwhelmingly sports titles. After all how can they get you to buy the newest edition of a game that just has some minor tweaks from the previous version, if you can still play the older version online?
mhufnagel is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JuiceRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, California
Posts: 4,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post



April 13, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown
The Saboteur (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

I don't get this. The Midnight Club was a paid for download. Why would there be servers "running" it? To the best of my recollection it was nothing more than a download that allowed you to enter the "nude" room in La Belle Nuit and receive a special car if you completed the mini-games within The Midnight Club.

-JR


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JuiceRocket is offline  
post #4 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jasonstiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NW Las Vegas
Posts: 2,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
cant say I miss any of those games...
jasonstiller is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lord Flatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vista, CA
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Can they go ahead and shut down FIFA11 and FIFA12 too, please?
Lord Flatus is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jblank74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

That list is overwhelmingly sports titles. After all how can they get you to buy the newest edition of a game that just has some minor tweaks from the previous version, if you can still play the older version online?

You're missing the point, nobody is playing those old sports title, ergo, they don't need to have servers running. I don't blame them for doing this at all and heck, I love to complain about EA.

Can't fault 'em here.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

 

Carl Sagan (1980)

jblank74 is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The list would suffice without the editorialized revisionist history.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
tgable is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mphfrom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern KY
Posts: 3,730
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Do they still run NHL '96 and '97 on Sega Genesis? Those might be the best games ever. I'd pay to play those online probably!
mphfrom77 is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mhufnagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

Can't fault 'em here.


Yes I can. If they would have let their games run on the standard MS run XBL servers like most other publishers, then those games would still be playable online and save EA money by not running their own servers. But that would also mean that there would be less people needing to buy newer editions of their sports franchises (even if it was a tiny percentage of people) and they also couldn't cry about used games and needing to create Project $10.

I have no problem with companies making money. After all that's why businesses get started. I just don't like bs.
mhufnagel is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mhufnagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Do they still run NHL '96 and '97 on Sega Genesis? Those might be the best games ever. I'd pay to play those online probably!


I believe you can play them online with emulators through some service (I can't remember it's name).
mhufnagel is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jblank74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

Yes I can. If they would have let their games run on the standard MS run XBL servers like most other publishers, then those games would still be playable online and save EA money by not running their own servers. But that would also mean that there would be less people needing to buy newer editions of their sports franchises (even if it was a tiny percentage of people) and they also couldn't cry about used games and needing to create Project $10.

I have no problem with companies making money. After all that's why businesses get started. I just don't like bs.


Don't be pissed at EA, be pissed at Microsoft for giving up control. Think about though dude, ya really think a lot of people are playing Madden 08 still? I play A LOT of games and I have yet to run across one game that I was even barely playing, that has made their shutdown list. I'd say that is pretty common.

It's not ******** to shut servers down when you have less than 100 people playing a game online, in a 30 day time period, like some of those games have had. They are well within their rights to do this and it says so in the EULA. They have all their bases covered.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

 

Carl Sagan (1980)

jblank74 is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
onlysublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 503
EA Sports Active 2.0 (an exercise game) is only a year old and they're selling it based on the fact that you can track your fitness progress online with your friends and other people (more detailed than a traditional leaderboard).

Burnout Revenge is still the best Burnout this generation. And still has a significant amount of racers out there.

I have no connection to the others and there's the thing. If you don't have a connection to one of the games, you're in line to say, hey, take them away. but the minute they take away a game you actually like, it really sucks.
onlysublime is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jblank74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

EA Sports Active 2.0 (an exercise game) is only a year old and they're selling it based on the fact that you can track your fitness progress online with your friends and other people (more detailed than a traditional leaderboard).

Burnout Revenge is still the best Burnout this generation. And still has a significant amount of racers out there.

I have no connection to the others and there's the thing. If you don't have a connection to one of the games, you're in line to say, hey, take them away. but the minute they take away a game you actually like, it really sucks.

Dude, I don't know what to tell you. Might suck, but they base these things on numbers and if nobody is playing them they are well within their right to pull the plug.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

 

Carl Sagan (1980)

jblank74 is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
lulimet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Perkasie, PA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Who caress? EA makes garbage games anyway

They do have their legions of fans though. EA fanatics are not different than Apple fanatics.
lulimet is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jblank74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulimet View Post

Who caress? EA makes garbage games anyway

They do have their legions of fans though. EA fanatics are not different than Apple fanatics.

Though I don't think highly of them as a company, I happen to like a lot of their games and find them to be quite enjoyable and of good to even excellent quality.

To a certain extent, EA haters are no different than Apple haters; each seem to have a disdain for the companies based on their mass market appeal, which isn't entirely fair.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

 

Carl Sagan (1980)

jblank74 is offline  
post #16 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
onlysublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

Dude, I don't know what to tell you. Might suck, but they base these things on numbers and if nobody is playing them they are well within their right to pull the plug.

I don't buy the numbers thing. That's just a cover. They pull Madden 10 when Madden 12 came out even though there were significant numbers of Madden 10 players. It's a ploy to get people to move on to the newer games. If Activision tried this for Call of Duty, people would riot.

I'm surprised people who play Battlefield 2 don't riot but I assume it's because BF was always a distant second to CoD.

And I don't think people are "EA fans". EA just happens to grow by acquisition and they pull everyone under their umbrella.
onlysublime is offline  
post #17 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
JohnnyPraze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If shutting down these old servers makes my experience on BF3 or Madden 2012 better, awesome. If not, doesn't bother me.

XBOX Live: Hank Love
JohnnyPraze is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mphfrom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern KY
Posts: 3,730
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Oh I'm with you sublime. It's a pain being at the mercy of companies sometimes. As consumers, threads like this truly may be one of our only options to let these companies actually know that we are disappointed. Basically in the end if they are too confident and monopolistic, they will indeed lose market share. But by that time the poorly operating aspect of the company has achieved their individualistic ideals, leaving the company in a worse position.

You would think a company based mainly on enjoyment would be better than this. I'm sure downright fun is what EA was founded on.

I understand "this gaming crowd" can be overly pessimistic, but that is not the case here with the op, onlysublime. As much info as he has provided in this short thread is proof of that, already.

I did not know this stuff sublime. Thank you for helping me understand what EA has been up to with some things. I will think twice about purchasing their product from now on.
mphfrom77 is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
They are shuttering servers to games that nobody plays. Pretending that this matters is just inventing reasons to have nerd rage.

News flash: Microsoft doesn't support Windows 95 or 98 anymore! Sony also doesn't make tape decks anymore. Nerd raaaaage!!1
darklordjames is offline  
post #20 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
onlysublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

News flash: Microsoft doesn't support Windows 95 or 98 anymore! Sony also doesn't make tape decks anymore. Nerd raaaaage!!1

there's a huge difference between shuttering a 15 year old title and a 1 year old title.

and just because you don't play it doesn't mean it's not popular.
onlysublime is offline  
post #21 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jblank74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
None of those games are from 2011 as far as I can tell...which are one year old? While you're at it, which of those, has any sort of active online community?

Darklord's point is the same as mine; these aren't popular or even newish games. You'd have a real beef if this was Battlefield Bad Company 2 or something, but all of the listed games that I looked at release dates for, were from 2010 or back.

This all just smacks of complaining over nothing, or more so, complaining because it's EA that is doing it. Do you play any of these games? Is this affecting you personally? Serious questions.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

 

Carl Sagan (1980)

jblank74 is offline  
post #22 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mphfrom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern KY
Posts: 3,730
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Man, I think he answered all your questions, twice already. Have you read this short thread??
mphfrom77 is offline  
post #23 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jblank74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Man, I think he answered all your questions, twice already. Have you read this short thread??

And we've replied at least twice now with the reasoning behind why they do it. What more can be said? Companies can, will, and do, put products out to pasture....it happens that in this case, they have given these games ample time to be played and when the community dries up, why should they continue to support online play?

If I sell a product in a store, and 18 months later, nobody is using it, why should I continue to have to support it? Especially when, lets say, I am no longer obligated to do so, and when it costs me money to continue to do so?

This is a huge much a do about nothing. Like I said, if this was Bad Company 2 or even Madden 11, yeah, I could agree, but this is stuff nobody cares about.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

 

Carl Sagan (1980)

jblank74 is offline  
post #24 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
onlysublime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,704
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

when the community dries up, why should they continue to support online play?

If I sell a product in a store, and 18 months later, nobody is using it, why should I continue to have to support it? Especially when, lets say, I am no longer obligated to do so, and when it costs me money to continue to do so?

This is a huge much a do about nothing. Like I said, if this was Bad Company 2 or even Madden 11, yeah, I could agree, but this is stuff nobody cares about.

Okay, now you're getting into redundancy. I already had my say but you keep dragging things back into it.

Why would it matter more if it was Bad Company 2 or Madden 11? I have no interest in Madden 11 so if they shut that down, it wouldn't mean anything to me. See how that smacks of hypocrisy?

I've already said there are plenty of people still racing in Burnout Revenge but you still deny it. There were plenty of people still playing Madden 10 but you still deny it.

How are you judging what titles are more valuable than others? By sales figures, Zumba Fitness Rush is the #1 selling Xbox 360 sports title (according to Amazon's live tracking), outselling Madden 12, NBA2K12, NHL 12, etc. So if they shut down Madden 12, because it's not selling as well, that would offend you but not Zumba Fitness?

EA Active Sports 2.0 was released at the end of 2010. It's on the list. On their website, they still prominently advertise that the game has all these online components that make their game stand out from the rest. No where on the website is there a warning that the game's functionality will be gimped. Since it's going to have its functionality retired, they should remove the product from the sales channel, place it in the clearance category, or at least advertise that the game will no longer work. It's still selling at normal prices.

Again, like I said, for those that are not affected, this doesn't mean anything to them. But the minute it hits one of your games, it does matter. So in your case, it doesn't matter. But don't tell people when it should or shouldn't matter. Like you, I didn't blink before because none of my games were affected (except for Army of Two). But I didn't dismiss those who were angered and nor should you.

And you still have to support your product, no matter how poorly it sells. GM had to provide their full customer support for the Aztek, arguably the worse vehicle ever produced in terms of consumer acceptance.
onlysublime is offline  
post #25 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benjamin-benjami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: edmond, ok
Posts: 4,193
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 713
people vote with dollars spent..
benjamin-benjami is offline  
post #26 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Leo_Ames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Onlysublime posted this at another forum we both frequent. While I enjoy reading his post and typically agree with his opinions, we're having a bit of a debate over there about why this is happening. I thought it would be helpful to point out that the average Xbox 360 game relies on player's hosting their own matches (P2P).

Electronic Arts releases are some of the few exceptions to that rule (On both the Xbox prior to Xbox Live support ending and the Xbox 360) that rely on company ran dedicated servers to host your matches. This is why EA games will go offline relatively quickly so they can reuse those assets for newer releases while the online multiplayer capabilities of most other games remain functional right up until the end of Xbox Live support for the entire platform.

Onlysublime disagrees with my assessment that the vast majority of Xbox 360 releases outside of EA published games rely on P2P hosting with there being nothing for a publisher such as Codemasters and Ubisoft to shut down on their end, which is why the vast majority of Xbox 360 games are still online to this day (Including many dozens that never had any sort of a online community to start with).

Anyone care to back that opinion up? And note that I'm not defending a few of these choices like Burnout Revenge (I agree with his negative opinion of such a decision). But for most of these games, killing their online modes makes sense I think so they can utilize that server capacity for newer releases that still have active online communities.
Leo_Ames is offline  
post #27 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mphfrom77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern KY
Posts: 3,730
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

This is the reason why I hate EA and how they manage their own servers. They can prematurely shut down any game server they want. The game servers run by Microsoft can run indefinitely. There are plenty of ancient Xbox 360 games still running because Microsoft runs the servers. But because EA has such major clout, Microsoft backed down when EA demanded they run their own servers or else Microsoft would not be getting EA games.

Microsoft had no clout to stop EA because way back when, the 360 was just about to launch and you can't have a game system that has no EA games. Sony was the dominant force but they didnt' care about online back then so it's not like they stood in the way of EA and it's not like MS had the strength to toe the line.

There have been many other games that were shut down on other platforms that kept running on the 360 because Microsoft managed them. Grid was shut down long ago on the PC and PS3 because that's what Codemasters wanted but it kept on ticking at Microsoft.


http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

The decisions to retire older EA games are never easy.

Thank you,
Electronic Arts

April 13, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown
BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii
Burnout™ Revenge for Xbox 360
EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii
FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
The Godfather™ II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
The Saboteur™ (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360

March 31, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown
BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
Ghost Harvest for iPhone

Previously Shut Down Online Service
Arena Football™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Arena Football™: Road to Glory for PlayStation 2
Armies of Exigo™ for PC
Army of Two™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Army of Two™ Demo for Xbox 360
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ for Xbox and Xbox 360
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ Demo for Xbox 360
Battlefield 2142™ Demo for PC
Burnout™ Revenge for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Burnout™ Dominator for PlayStation Portable
Burnout™ 3: Takedown ™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Def Jam® for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
EA SPORTS™ Fantasy Football 09 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
EA SPORTS™ FIFA Manager 10 for PC
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 2 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Xbox
EA SPORTS™ MMA (Live Broadcast Feature only) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Facebreaker™ for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
FIFA Soccer 2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
FIFA 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
FIFA 07 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360
FIFA 08 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii and PC
FIFA 09 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
FIFA 09 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
FIFA 10 for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
FIFA 10 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
FIFA Street 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
The Godfather™ The Game for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
GoldenEye: Rogue Agent™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
LITTLEST PET SHOP Online for PC
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ for PC
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II for PC and Xbox 360
The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II, The Rise of the Witch-king™ for PC and Xbox 360
The Lord of the Rings: Conquest™ for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
MVP Baseball™ 2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
MVP™ 07 NCAA® Baseball for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Madden NFL 05 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Madden NFL 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
Madden NFL 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
Madden NFL 08 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Wii, Xbox and Xbox 360
Madden NFL 09 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii and Xbox
Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
Marvel Nemesis™: Rise of the Imperfects™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Medal of Honor Airborne™ for PlayStation Portable
Medal of Honor Heroes™ 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault™ for PC
Medal of Honor™ Rising Sun for PlayStation 2
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames™ for PC
MySims™ for PC
NASCAR® 05: Chase for the Cup™ for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NASCAR® 06: Total Team Control for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NASCAR® 07 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox and Xbox 360
NASCAR® 08 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NASCAR® 09 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NBA LIVE 05 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NBA LIVE 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
NBA LIVE 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
NBA LIVE 08 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Wii
NBA LIVE 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
NBA Street (2007) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NBA Street V3 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® Basketball 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Basketball 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® Football 05 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® Football 06 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® Football 07 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Xbox
NCAA® Football 08 forPlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® Football 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 2
NCAA® Football 10 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NCAA® March Madness 06 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® March Madness™ 2005 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NCAA® March Madness® 07 for PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360
Need for Speed™ Carbon for PlayStation Portable
Need for Speed™ Most Wanted for PC, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PC and PlayStation Portable
Need for Speed™ Undercover for PlayStation Portable
Need for Speed™ Underground for PlayStation 2
Need for Speed™ Underground 2 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NFL Head Coach 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NFL STREET 2: Unleashed for PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NFL STREET 3 for PlayStation 2
NFL Tour for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL® 2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NHL® 06 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
NHL® 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
NHL® 08 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and PC
NHL® 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
NHL® 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Pet Society™ Vacation for iPhone
The Simpsons™ Game for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
SimSocial on Facebook
The Sims Carnival
SKATE™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 05 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 08 for PC, PlayStation 2 PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 09 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
TimeSplitters 3: Future Perfect™ for Xbox and PlayStation 2
Total Club Manager 06 for PlayStation 2
UEFA Champions League™ 2004-2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox
UEFA Champions League™ 2006-2007 for PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable
UEFA Champions League™ 07 for PC and Xbox 360
UEFA EURO 2008™ for PC PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
2006 FIFA World Cup™ for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360
2010 FIFA World Cup™ South Africa for PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox 360 and Wii
2010 FIFA World Cup™ South Africa Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Onlysublime posted this at another forum we both frequent. While I enjoy reading his post and typically agree with his opinions, we're having a bit of a debate over there about why this is happening. I thought it would be helpful to point out that the average Xbox 360 game relies on player's hosting their own matches (P2P).

Electronic Arts releases are some of the few exceptions to that rule (On both the Xbox prior to Xbox Live support ending and the Xbox 360) that rely on company ran dedicated servers to host your matches. This is why EA games will go offline relatively quickly so they can reuse those assets for newer releases while the online multiplayer capabilities of most other games remain functional right up until the end of Xbox Live support for the entire platform.

Onlysublime disagrees with my assessment that the vast majority of Xbox 360 releases outside of EA published games rely on P2P hosting with there being nothing for a publisher such as Codemasters and Ubisoft to shut down on their end, which is why the vast majority of Xbox 360 games are still online to this day (Including many dozens that never had any sort of a online community to start with).

Anyone care to back that opinion up? And note that I'm not defending a few of these choices like Burnout Revenge (I agree with his negative opinion of such a decision. But for most of these games, killing their online modes makes sense I think so they can utilize that server capacity for newer releases that still have active online communities.

Leo, I'm not sure what you are saying exactly. It almost seems like you have a opinion that is not on topic. Confused.

It appears though sublime already talked about some of this, in the first post. Still, Leo, I'm just not sure if your question extends the conversation or if it is trying to start a new one.
mphfrom77 is offline  
post #28 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jblank74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Okay, now you're getting into redundancy. I already had my say but you keep dragging things back into it.

Why would it matter more if it was Bad Company 2 or Madden 11? I have no interest in Madden 11 so if they shut that down, it wouldn't mean anything to me. See how that smacks of hypocrisy?

I've already said there are plenty of people still racing in Burnout Revenge but you still deny it. There were plenty of people still playing Madden 10 but you still deny it.

How are you judging what titles are more valuable than others? By sales figures, Zumba Fitness Rush is the #1 selling Xbox 360 sports title (according to Amazon's live tracking), outselling Madden 12, NBA2K12, NHL 12, etc. So if they shut down Madden 12, because it's not selling as well, that would offend you but not Zumba Fitness?

EA Active Sports 2.0 was released at the end of 2010. It's on the list. On their website, they still prominently advertise that the game has all these online components that make their game stand out from the rest. No where on the website is there a warning that the game's functionality will be gimped. Since it's going to have its functionality retired, they should remove the product from the sales channel, place it in the clearance category, or at least advertise that the game will no longer work. It's still selling at normal prices.

Again, like I said, for those that are not affected, this doesn't mean anything to them. But the minute it hits one of your games, it does matter. So in your case, it doesn't matter. But don't tell people when it should or shouldn't matter. Like you, I didn't blink before because none of my games were affected (except for Army of Two). But I didn't dismiss those who were angered and nor should you.

And you still have to support your product, no matter how poorly it sells. GM had to provide their full customer support for the Aztek, arguably the worse vehicle ever produced in terms of consumer acceptance.



Your definitions of "plenty of people play it" and mine, differe greatly. I don't see Burnout having this gigantic community....my son has the game and I asked him if a lot of people seemed online when he played it last time, he said he didn't think so.

Actually if there is one thing I am NOT being, it's hypocritical. I'm trying to show to you how and why they do this and as a Madden player I can promise you, nobody is playing Madden 10 anymore online. NO...BO...DY. Don't believe me, go take a poll at a site like Operation Sports or something, ask around. Madden gamers ALWAYS migrate to the latest version, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Also, while these companies have to support the product, they are well within their rights per the EULA that you agree to when you play the game, to shut the servers down.

People can vote with their wallet and if they are bothered by this, they can not buy EA's games.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

 

Carl Sagan (1980)

jblank74 is offline  
post #29 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jblank74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bristol, Tennessee
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Onlysublime posted this at another forum we both frequent. While I enjoy reading his post and typically agree with his opinions, we're having a bit of a debate over there about why this is happening. I thought it would be helpful to point out that the average Xbox 360 game relies on player's hosting their own matches (P2P).

Electronic Arts releases are some of the few exceptions to that rule (On both the Xbox prior to Xbox Live support ending and the Xbox 360) that rely on company ran dedicated servers to host your matches. This is why EA games will go offline relatively quickly so they can reuse those assets for newer releases while the online multiplayer capabilities of most other games remain functional right up until the end of Xbox Live support for the entire platform.

Onlysublime disagrees with my assessment that the vast majority of Xbox 360 releases outside of EA published games rely on P2P hosting with there being nothing for a publisher such as Codemasters and Ubisoft to shut down on their end, which is why the vast majority of Xbox 360 games are still online to this day (Including many dozens that never had any sort of a online community to start with).

Anyone care to back that opinion up? And note that I'm not defending a few of these choices like Burnout Revenge (I agree with his negative opinion of such a decision. But for most of these games, killing their online modes makes sense I think so they can utilize that server capacity for newer releases that still have active online communities.

I agree and I referenced the cost associated with keeping these servers going, in an earlier post.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

 

Carl Sagan (1980)

jblank74 is offline  
post #30 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kjr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

Can they go ahead and shut down FIFA11 and FIFA12 too, please?

Ummm. No.

Salminella has become legend (or something like that):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kjr39 is offline  
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off